• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I think it's important that Brad let Jeff and Patrick make a case for the guy before shooting it down, rather than not giving them the chance to lay it out. They presented all sides of the argument better than anything I've listened to or read.

Yeah they've been super busy this week with stuff (who knows what exactly, I'm sure we'll find out) and Ryan's not there so I guess some stuff just fell through. They weren't intending to do TNT this week but we got that, so I guess maybe they were trying to make up for it there.

DaBuddaDa

I'm really anxious to see what they've been 'so busy' working on the past couple weeks. The site content was pretty low all last week. Vinny, Dave and Drew saved the week with Random PC Game and TNT, but it was obvious everyone else was off doing...something.

DaBuddaDa

Jeff said on Formspring they're probably not gonna do anything on BD. He hasn't been able to find a copy in stores.

Which is crap. A quick check of the two Best Buys closest to Petaluma both have them available for in-store pickup today, same with the two closest Targets. Jeff always seems to get ridiculously butt hurt when a publisher promises a review copy and one doesn't arrive, even thought it happens constantly.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm really anxious to see what they've been 'so busy' working on the past couple weeks. The site content was pretty low all last week. Vinny, Dave and Drew saved the week with Random PC Game and TNT, but it was obvious everyone else was off doing...something.
Prepping for GDC next week?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe they're not that interested in the game. Like if they see a copy in a store they'll try it out but they're not going to go out of their way to buy a copy.

I think the line 'i just want to talk about the games next week' says everything we need to know, sadly.

binary domain will be like dragon age. won't even get a fair shake

DaBuddaDa

I've come to terms already with the fact that besides GDC, the next two weeks will be nothing but Mass Effect 3 and SF x Tekken talk. Could be worse.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe they're not that interested in the game. Like if they see a copy in a store they'll try it out but they're not going to go out of their way to buy a copy.

Both Dragon Age games got mutiple quick looks of DLC/expansions, so I don't see how that isn't a fair shake.

None of them played it before the site GOTY except for Dave and he wasn't involved in that.

Not to sound bitter because I don't really care about the thing, but it reminds me of the uDraw quick look. Where they mentioned how it didn't sell well and then Brad said something about how he had one sitting around but never showed it off until now. You think that kind of mentality among press is partially responsible for why it didn't sell well?

None of them played it before the site GOTY except for Dave and he wasn't involved in that.

Not to sound bitter because I don't really care about the thing, but it reminds me of the uDraw quick look. Where they mentioned how it didn't sell well and then Brad said something about how he had one sitting around but never showed it off until now. You think that kind of mentality among press is partially responsible for why it didn't sell well?
I'm not sure what you're talking about. They actually did 2 separate DA quick looks, a console QL and a PC QL and more for the DLC and expansion pack. I'm almost positive Vinny played it right around launch. There are certain games they neglect for one reason or another but Dragon Age was not one of those games.

Dany

Banned

Huh? What games were coming out? They handled out tasks well enough for reviews and quick looks. Also they were at the Xbox Showcase I'd assume

Amount of games coming out = amount of content on GB

Also, I hope they seperate out hte weekly podcast from the GDC ones if they are planning on rounding guests.

Patryn

I'm not sure what you're talking about. They actually did 2 separate DA quick looks, a console QL and a PC QL and more for the DLC and expansion pack. I'm almost positive Vinny played it right around launch. There are certain games they neglect for one reason or another but Dragon Age was not one of those games.

Yeah, Vinny definitely played both DA games when they came out, and there was plenty of discussion of them. There were also multiple QLs, including two for DA:O and another for DA: Awakening.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

They did a console and a pc quick look. Vinny did the console quick look but didn't go back. He went back and played it on pc, but this was after the GOTY discussions.

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't know why you're talking about Dragon Age Origins. GB got the game weeks before it came out, Dave had plenty of time to review it, and Vinny played it a lot before goty that year he just finished it after. They did 3 Quick Looks of it including an expansion.

Dragon Age 2 is a different story entirely and even then they did multiple Quick Looks and Vinny played through it entirely which he talked about on the podcast a lot.

djm

There's multiple places you can find Jeff saying one of the things they wanted GB to be about was covering stuff that personally interested them. So yeah, it's no surprise they don't get to everything.

There's some stuff that they're gonna miss, whether intentionally or "welp they didn't send a review copy and none of us are really interested to go spend personal money driving around to get a copy."

e: this is also why their sports game coverage is pretty much Madden games since they sell so much in the US.

DaBuddaDa

Huh? What games were coming out? They handled out tasks well enough for reviews and quick looks. Also they were at the Xbox Showcase I'd assume

I Love Mondays said there'd be content of Binary Domain, Nexuiz and Max Payne. There was no content of any of them. They could have also done a QL or something for Vessel, a really really good Steam indie, or a QL of Microsoft Flight which just launched and is appropriate considering Vinny's recent indulgences.

And they didn't cover Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 GODDAMMIT FUCK THEM I'M SO MAD.

Dany

Banned
I Love Mondays said there'd be content of Binary Domain, Nexuiz and Max Payne. There was no content on any of them. That's all.

Oh, I rarely take ILM for anything its worth now. Which sucks but they are inconsistent about what they say and what happens in the week.

atomsk

Party Pooper
And they didn't cover Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 GODDAMMIT FUCK THEM I'M SO MAD.

while I would have thought that maybe you'd see some DS2 coverage because it was a SMT game... no way in hell would I expect anything NISA does to be covered

Watching the TNT today... Vinny's changed ever since he got that flight stick. He seems crazier than usual.

vinny_fshtjga.gif

Whiskey Media as a whole does not seem particularly efficient.

Unfortunately, I kind of agree. I know that it's a pretty small team, but even then I constantly wonder how they can have such an anemic output sometimes. With 5 guys creating content, IMO there should be a major video each day (QL, Video Review, LOLS, Random PC Game etc.) with the possible exception for the Bombcast recording on Monday--and even then, one a day is being very generous.... Also, at least 3-4 new stories a day by Patrick. And no, posting a trailer with a quick blurb doesn't count. Sometimes, yes, Patrick does longer pieces, but they are almost always opinion pieces or e-mail threads, which don't require thaaat much overhead.

I'm completely open to being shown why I'm such an idiot for thinking that--I'd actually really love any insight into the WM content process!--but how can 5 guys put out so little content? I'm a gold sub, because when they do put out content, it's amazing. But I don't see how, short of rendering time, making things like QLs take all that much time. I know that stuff like Random PC Game and LOLS are rare because Vinny and Dave are so overworked, though. But "no games came out!" is a goddamned terrible excuse. There's always more content you could create. Do a QL Throwback, call for more interviews, do a new mailbag etc. etc. etc.. And there's a new game on Steam pretty much every week, and it's almost always something interesting. If not a whole new game, some DLC will have come out in that week too. There's never "nothing to cover" in this industry.

Pretty sure the big bottle neck in the whiskey office is video producers and recording equipment.

Didnt they say they only have enough room/equipment to record 2 videos at the same time.

so 2 videos at a time with tested, screened, GB and comic vine.

Then I am sure there is a bottle neck when it comes to compressing/posting new videos like they only have one main video editing pc or something dumb.

Then again I am sure straight up laziness or disinterest plays a part. Last summer was a good example. The site was DEAD for most of the summer and the happy hour was limping along. They where apparently working on new TANG but that fell through I guess.

I do hope they are planning a new Endurance run or similar video series for this summer.

Also Tested has been pretty dead the last 2 weeks because will was out sick. sucks Norm didnt come up with some decent ideas within that time to fill the void.

Would be interesting to get more info on the Whiskey working process from a editors POV (so Will, Norm, Jeff, etc..) and a video producers POV.

Myomoto

Unfortunately, I kind of agree. I know that it's a pretty small team, but even then I constantly wonder how they can have such an anemic output sometimes. With 5 guys creating content, IMO there should be a major video each day (QL, Video Review, LOLS, Random PC Game etc.) with the possible exception for the Bombcast recording on Monday--and even then, one a day is being very generous.... Also, at least 3-4 new stories a day by Patrick. And no, posting a trailer with a quick blurb doesn't count. Sometimes, yes, Patrick does longer pieces, but they are almost always opinion pieces or e-mail threads, which don't require thaaat much overhead.

I'm completely open to being shown why I'm such an idiot for thinking that--I'd actually really love any insight into the WM content process!--but how can 5 guys put out so little content? I'm a gold sub, because when they do put out content, it's amazing. But I don't see how, short of rendering time, making things like QLs take all that much time. I know that stuff like Random PC Game and LOLS are rare because Vinny and Dave are so overworked, though. But "no games came out!" is a goddamned terrible excuse. There's always more content you could create. Do a QL Throwback, call for more interviews, do a new mailbag etc. etc. etc.. And there's a new game on Steam pretty much every week, and it's almost always something interesting. If not a whole new game, some DLC will have come out in that week too. There's never "nothing to cover" in this industry.

I'm confused, don't they usually put about about 1-2 quick looks a day on average?

LuchaShaq

Banned
N You think that kind of mentality among press is partially responsible for why it didn't sell well?

It's THQ's job to market Udraw not Giant bombs. The only reason most people had any interest in a Udraw quicklook is because it was such a financial bomb.

:lol Screened missed like two podcasts and Rorie promised a Ramblin' Rorie video (His Jar Time) to make up for it. Now he's saying his webcam is broken. Jesus.

Rapstah

Sending the thing to journalists is not marketing it? If not, why send them anything?

I thought part of the review deal with publishers was that you got literally every single thing they released. I'm sure they have gotten tons of games that they haven't reviewed too.

Dany

Banned
Is he a bad host? I don't pay attention to Screened, but Rorie is certainly likable and charismatic and well-spoken...

He whines a lot, makes excuses constantly on the podcast but for the oscar one he was either drunk, high or hungover. He was just jumping off the walls with tangents, bad jokes and not knowing when he was going to far.

I couldn't get past the first 20 min.

Duffyside

Banned
He whines a lot, makes excuses constantly on the podcast but for the oscar one he was either drunk, high or hungover. He was just jumping off the walls with tangents, bad jokes and not knowing when he was going to far.

I couldn't get past the first 20 min.

... Sounds great? Like, crazy-Rorie is the best Rorie.

ZenaxPure

Is he a bad host? I don't pay attention to Screened, but Rorie is certainly likable and charismatic and well-spoken...

I actually like Rorie a lot but the Oscar podcast was terrible. He was acting like a child and constantly derailing it and being annoying in general. I had to stop listening halfway through. The most annoying part is he was constantly screaming, I don't mind adjusting my iPod's volume but I hate doing it every 15 seconds or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom