• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

Actually, I'd say they evolved into Dynasty Warriors.

That doesn't make any sense. These discussions are poison to my mind.

Also it would be more true to say it has been replaced, not evolved. All 3D action games evolved from the likes of Ocarina of Time, not Aliens vs Predator or The Punisher.

MrDaravon

That doesn't make any sense. These discussions are poison to my mind.

Also it would be more true to say it has been replaced, not evolved. All 3D action games evolved from the likes of Ocarina of Time, not Aliens vs Predator or The Punisher.

No he's completely right, I've had this discussion with people before.

If Dynasty Warriors wasn't based in ancient China and was based on something else like fantasy, or a licensed property people would be eating that shit up. Mechanically it functions like a beat-em up with RPG elements a la say River City Ransom. You beat up on a bunch of stupid mindless dudes as filler with tougher enemies/boss battles all while leveling up stats and getting better equipment. I completely believe that if these games were coming out as say Lord of the Rings games or something like that they'd be huge successes in the US. Dynasty Warriors and it's offshoots have become so completely entrenched in people's minds here one way or the other that no one actually really pays attention to or actually thinks about the gameplay. Playing DW (or at least most versions of it) is fundamentally the same as oldschool brawlers from a gameplay perspective.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

If Dynasty Warriors wasn't based in ancient China and was based on something else like fantasy, or a licensed property people would be eating that shit up. Mechanically it functions like a beat-em up with RPG elements a la say River City Ransom. You beat up on a bunch of stupid mindless dudes as filler with tougher enemies/boss battles all while leveling up stats and getting better equipment. I completely believe that if these games were coming out as say Lord of the Rings games or something like that they'd be huge successes in the US. Dynasty Warriors and it's offshoots have become so completely entrenched in people's minds here one way or the other that no one actually really pays attention to or actually thinks about the gameplay. Playing DW (or at least most versions of it) is fundamentally the same as oldschool brawlers from a gameplay perspective.

Old school brawlers aren't really fun anymore either.

Mesoian

Let's just get this out of the way now: the Double Dragon QL is going to be unbearable because it's just going to be Jeff saying "Konami beat-em-ups were quarter thieves, so ALL beat-em-ups are bad, I HATE BEAT EM UPS" over and over.

No, it'll be unbearable because, while being very funny, it still goes after the easy dumb joke, which is a kind of comedy that Jeff doesn't really react to.

DDN as a game is pretty bad. It has a lot of hitbox issues, doesn't do very much to explain systems (I didn't realize that there was a instant block mechanic until watching someone else play through it, because it makes no sense to put it on duck while omitting a proper block), has odd reaction effects on enemies (certain enemies having an almost random amount of armor with weaponry or not being able to "red-duck" certain moves) and is strangely slow compared to enemy movement.

But yo, that game is fucking funny. But stupid funny. It's written like a later Chris Farley movie; the jokes are very obvious and very dumb and are usually little more than extremely silly one liners or references to older video game staples. It has no lasting appeal, but for the first few play throughs, you get chuckles. And the soundtrack is stellar. I got the game free on PS+, but I gave the guy who did the music 10 bucks for a copy of the OST. Jake Kaufman is becoming one of my favorite indie composers, his Mighty Switch Force OST was really really great as well.

I had more fun watching "Matt and Wooly Play..." through this game rather than myself playing through it. I got the comedy, I got the soundtrack, and I didn't have to wade through the muddy gameplay.

The Gundam Dynasty Warriors and Fist of the North Star Dynasty Warriors games argue against your statement pretty vigorously.

I had this discussion the other day at a fighting game tournament. Old school beat'em'ups just turned into Character Action games. This generation's Streets of Rage 2 is Bayonetta or Devil May Cry 3.

Sengoku Basara the game is the future of beat-em-ups and Sengoku Basara the anime is the future of Saturday morning cartoons based on beat-em-ups

Conversation = closed

Aaron

Reminds me a lot of Lost Planet 2. Where instead of erasing the flaws of the original, Capcom completely didn't understand what made LP work, and instead doubled down on the worst parts of the game, producing a total trainwreck.

Lost Planet wasn't that great, but Lost Planet 2 was awful, and is one of the worst games I've played this generation (Turok comes to mind as the absolute worst). I literally just ran though several levels (which took barely 2 minutes) while avoiding the firefights because the scripting was so bad. That, and the online stuff, and everything was just... I can't believe it. Has there ever been a thread on "sequels that were drastically different from the original game?"

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If RE6 had come out on XBLA or PSN Brad would give it 5 stars.

Nert

If RE6 had come out on XBLA or PSN Brad would give it 5 stars.

Snark aside, downloadable games appear to be trouncing most of this year's high profile retail games. Compare Journey, Mark of the Ninja, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Trials Evolution to polarizing titles like Mass Effect 3, Diablo III and now Resident Evil 6. I've had more fun with the Wrath of the Lamb expansion for The Binding of Isaac that I did with the entirety of Diablo III.

Now that I think about it, Botanicula, Fez and Sound Shapes came out this year, too. Not too shabby.

GavinGT

Banned
Snark aside, downloadable games appear to be trouncing most of this year's high profile retail games. Compare Journey, Mark of the Ninja, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Trials Evolution to polarizing titles like Mass Effect 3, Diablo III and now Resident Evil 6. I've had more fun with the Wrath of the Lamb expansion for The Binding of Isaac that I did with the entirety of Diablo III.

Now that I think about it, Botanicula, Fez and Sound Shapes came out this year, too. Not too shabby.

Yeah. It's a shame that only disc-based titles get real exposure, though.

StuBurns

Banned
Let's not pretend some of those downloadable games weren't just as 'polarizing', Dust had tons of shit talk thrown at it for example.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mostly for the character art style, to be fair.

Also, on twitter jeff was talking about how he does CBSi radio spots, and he mentioned it once during the podcast too. Has anybody actually caught any of them?

Ceebs

Tell me about it. Orcs Must Die 2 and Torchlight 2 are my games of the year so far.

There's a great box quote for RE6: "When it's not maliciously, aggressively broken it's just boring".
Can't wait for the Bombcast shitfest on that game, should be fun.
Honestly, I just find it depressing when they talk about how bad a game is, hope they don't spend too much time on it and dedicate their time to better topics. Then again this latest I Love Mondays was hilarious.

Xater

Honestly, I just find it depressing when they talk about how bad a game is, hope they don't spend too much time on it and dedicate their time to better topics. Then again this latest I Love Mondays was hilarious.

I think it's good. Gamers need to hear so they don't buy it despite the name on the box and it needs to be hammered home for the devs. I can seriously not understand how a mainline RE can get released like this.

Mostly for the character art style, to be fair.

Also, on twitter jeff was talking about how he does CBSi radio spots, and he mentioned it once during the podcast too. Has anybody actually caught any of them?
I was wondering about this too. I listen to the radio from 8 am to 5 pm and the station uses cbs radio spots all day. Cbs news every half hour and lots of other stuff sprinkled in through the day. I've never heard Jeff. I don't know if its the wrong time or maybe it's on weekends or maybe it's not on through am or my station doesn't elect to play it. I don't know.

MrDaravon

The Gundam Dynasty Warriors and Fist of the North Star Dynasty Warriors games argue against your statement pretty vigorously.

I had this discussion the other day at a fighting game tournament. Old school beat'em'ups just turned into Character Action games. This generation's Streets of Rage 2 is Bayonetta or Devil May Cry 3.

I was talking very specifically about the mainline DW series; agreed that the offshoots go in different directions.

I disagree on the character action game piece. I see where you're coming from and there's some correlations, but I feel that that CA games don't have the same mindless 2-3 hit kill enemies like brawlers do, and also the lack of co-op in those games also takes away from it. You're running around and beating up on enemies, but those games tend to be far more in depth and focused more on involved combos and game mechanics.

I was wondering about this too. I listen to the radio from 8 am to 5 pm and the station uses cbs radio spots all day. Cbs news every half hour and lots of other stuff sprinkled in through the day. I've never heard Jeff. I don't know if its the wrong time or maybe it's on weekends or maybe it's not on through am or my station doesn't elect to play it. I don't know.

Chances are you heard Jeff multiple times but didn't notice. The man is a master of impersonations

OI GOVNAH!

Giantbomb's unboxing of the new PS3 was the first time I've seen it. Its not nearly as ugly as I was led to believe

Its nothing compared to the PSone or PStwo though. Those machines were pure sex

Vire

It would probably help Brad if he didn't fire his pistol one billion miles an hour. You are supposed to pace your shots and aim for the head...

Still, the game doesn't look great.

Aaron

It would probably help Brad if he didn't fire his pistol one billion miles an hour. You are supposed to pace your shots and aim for the head...

Still, the game doesn't look great.
Yeah, but it takes 25 to 30 hours to learn that.

Fox Mulder

Giantbomb's unboxing of the new PS3 was the first time I've seen it. Its not nearly as ugly as I was led to believe

Its nothing compared to the PSone or PStwo though. Those machines were pure sex

It's not the worst looking console, just one that looks cheap as hell. They should have paired it with a $199 price drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom