• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread The Third: #TeamBrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

At the very least you'll agree that its
alleged
scariness probably won't translate well to an online stream with facecam.

It's a fucking text-based DS game, let's be real about this.

visual novels can be scary from music and sound effects and writing. WRONG

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jump scares are not the only type of scare.

The writing and music might carry it, like LiK said. VNs definitely have the capacity to scare the player if its presentation carries it.

AHA-Lambda

What are you basing this on, exactly?

Although not wholly indicative, this game has not been tracking well on amazon, plus EA hasn't mentioned any metrics of its pre order success and a recent article came out from an analyst (can't remember who again) saying the game would struggle to find success.

I bought 999 at launch, got the true ending, and while it's a good game it's incredibly overrated. I could see maybe if you've never played other graphic novels it's a novelty? Otherwise I think it's a lot of people rallying for a really niche game and creating an echo chamber effect. That said I have Zero Escape on the way and am excited to play it, but it's good to keep expectations in check!

FStop7

Banned
Jeff was right about Forza Horizon. I eyerolled his review. I was indifferent to the quick look beyond the humorous way they started it off. But I ended up with a copy yesterday and god damn. Most fun driving game since NFS: Hot Pursuit and the immortal PGR 2.

drkOne

I bought 999 at launch, got the true ending, and while it's a good game it's incredibly overrated. I could see maybe if you've never played other graphic novels it's a novelty? Otherwise I think it's a lot of people rallying for a really niche game and creating an echo chamber effect. That said I have Zero Escape on the way and am excited to play it, but it's good to keep expectations in check!

Recommend games you felt were better than 999. I really enjoyed the math/science stuff behind the visual novel, but the story was what made the game good for me.
I remember reading a manga with a similar setting but with a weaker ending, and I really like the "bunch of random dudes, no clue what's going on, not sure who they can trust"

OMG Aero

Obviously Katawa Shoujo would make a great ER
KxImz.gif

I just bought 999 last night. It's pretty hard to put down, even though there's twice as much text as there needs to be (feels like everything is overexplained and the characters dither a lot). Gonna get back at it again tonight.

BearPawB

Banned
I have also struggled to understand the 999 love. It was fine. I guess I don't have a patience for reading that much text in a game. And the gameplay was pretyyyyy simple. I would rather play hotel dusk 10000 times then pick up 999 again

JeTmAn81

I would love it if the GB games could start talking about 999, VLR, and a little bit of the new Professor Layton wouldn't hurt either. I'm so sick of umpteen discussions about the latest AAA console games. Let's get handheld!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Recommend games you felt were better than 999. I really enjoyed the math/science stuff behind the visual novel, but the story was what made the game good for me.
I remember reading a manga with a similar setting but with a weaker ending, and I really like the "bunch of random dudes, no clue what's going on, not sure who they can trust"
Do you mean in the visual novel genre, because Steins;Gate, Umineko, and Ever17 might give it a run for its money.

Saya no Uta might be one according to some, but man that thing creeped me out and I had no idea why I got myself into that one. :lol Really messed up horror VN.

There's a route for each guy on the crew! It'd be sweet
Real talk: Lilly and Emi had my favourite routes.

I would love it if the GB games could start talking about 999, VLR, and a little bit of the new Professor Layton wouldn't hurt either. I'm so sick of umpteen discussions about the latest AAA console games. Let's get handheld!

They talk about a lot of stuff that's not AAA console games, they've done a bunch of Vita quick looks too, though they seem kind of down on the device. But 3DS is kind of tough for them to do videowise, and even as an iPad owner I kind of tune out any time a podcast or whatever starts talking about the latest iOS game.

Nishastra

Banned
I love 999, but this is more or less true. 999 uses some concepts that are really quite alien outside of VNs, but are... surprisingly common in them :p

Still, most non-Japanese gamers probably know absolutely nothing about such things, and 999 is a fairly... easy-to-get-into VN. It's relatively short and more interactive than many.

The most obvious one is Ever17, generally considered the best game of the 999/VLR writer's previous series. It has a lot of similarities to 999.

As said above, Steins;Gate is very awesome as well. I love Umineko as well (my avatar is Dlanor from Umineko :p), but it's very different.

JeTmAn81

They talk about a lot of stuff that's not AAA console games, they've done a bunch of Vita quick looks too, though they seem kind of down on the device. But 3DS is kind of tough for them to do videowise, and even as an iPad owner I kind of tune out any time a podcast or whatever starts talking about the latest iOS game.

I mangled my first sentence, but I meant on the podcast. General site coverage seems more varied to me. I guess I'm just weary of hearing about X-Com and Dishonored (most boring game title ever, BTW) from everywhere.

I mangled my first sentence, but I meant on the podcast. General site coverage seems more varied to me. I guess I'm just weary of hearing about X-Com and Dishonored (most boring game title ever, BTW) from everywhere.

Haha, ok, yeah. 3 weeks straight of in-depth X-Com talk is stretching things. I did appreciate the time they gave the new New Geo handheld though. I hope they get back to it when everything's final.

tborsje

I've been meaning to play Lone Survivor, it's been dormant in my Steam library since the Indy Bundle it was in.

Looks good.

I love the Spookin' concept, but the games he's picking don't fit well. There's really nothing scary about Lone Survivor, and Clock Tower and Friday the 13th are amusing but also not at all scary. It would be better if he just got to Fatal Frame or Penumbra or something like that.

bonesquad

Not sure Lone Survivor makes for a good Spookin with Scoops. There's too much text, and I don't feel like reading any of it:)

I will say while I generally dislike pixel art/retro graphics, this game's look is pretty cool.

Jintor

I have extremely low standards in regards of whether or not a thing is a game. If it allows player input in any form (even branching storyline 'click on this button' stuff), that's game enough for me.

I'm just joking. After all, I spent one miserable week playing through the remaining four stories I had left from months before when I finished Emi's route. Oh man, that was the lowest point in my apartment living, for sure.

It's a friday night and I'm eating an eggroll, laying on an air mattress in the middle of my room, I have my laptop setup on the seat of a folding chair, and using a wireless mouse to click through my second playthrough of an H-Game with my only real objective being to get a new character path.

How did my life come to this?

I hope I get Hanako or Rin.
The memories...

Patrick hasn't played SH3? Goodness.

Odrion

Banned
Jeez you get Patrick to play 999 and then immediately go straight to "VINNY SHOULD ENDURANCE RUN CRIPPLE GIRLS". Take it down a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom