• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

shwimpy

Do you guys think Brad is done with Destiny? He wanted to see the raid and finished it. What's left there to do until the expansion in Dec.? I can't see him leveling up his gear and getting to max level with the short amount of free time he'll be having with the influx of fall games coming in.

hamchan

Jeff mentioned recently that Destiny may actually be his most disappointing game of theyyear (most recent UPF maybe?), I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the running for that award...

It's a front runner for sure. The only competition is Watch Dogs but I feel that's nowhere near to the disappointment the crew had to Destiny.

Watching Avalon and goddamn did Dan fuck up that first game LOLOLOLOLOL

Drew
(for being Evil)
and Danny
(for fucking nailing Merlin and the Evil people)
GOAT.

Now for the next game...

Dragon

Banned
So it's just basically down to the rest of destiny having no variety?

There is little to no variety in mission structure. Each of the worlds has a nice variety in art and assets that differentiates itself. The sound direction and core gunplay are very very good IMO.

You should really play it if you want to form an adequate opinion of it. It's not the same watching content like the Vault of Glass.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, I'm good. I'm barely a fan of FPS's as it is really. You're right that I should play it to form an adequate opinion but from all I've seen I don't really want to form one. Seems to me like it's all the parts of borderlands that I didn't like while taking out all the stuff that I did like.

Heel

Destiny is the Monday Night Raw of video games. Anyone who has experienced both will understand completely. In short, they're both awful and you want to stop but you can't.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Or that in a campaign that was deemed too repetitive they saved all that for one endgame piece!

However, the "end game" piece is the piece you'll be playing over and over again forever.

Because next week, the raid timer resets and you'll do it again. And the next week, again. And in-between, you'll be doing Strikes, Daily Quests and Weekly quests to fill time (and farm reputation) and get new items.

While the leveling up part, you'll do, at best, 3 times: one for each class.

That's the thing that most people don't get about MMOs And destiny (even though Bungie keeps saying that it's not an MMO): The leveling up part is not the important part. That's why "the game only really starts at level 60" say exist: The raids are the cool part of the game, not the leveling up to them.

Not only that, I believe that Destiny is not a "loot" game, like Diablo is. It's not a "every run, I'll get a million drops, and every will be 1-2 points better than my previous weapon". Destiny is a "farm reputation and exchange items/rewards for loot at the vendors" kind of game. Further things that made me believe in that: There's no Loot Trading, there's no Loot "rolling" (Needs/Greeds for unique loot that every boss sells). Most of the things you get out of the game are materials, or trash loot that you turn into materials, used to upgrade the good weapons you'll get through reputation rewards/Buying them from Xur through strange coins, which you got by doing the Strikes/Weeklies/Dailies between each raid reset.

It also sounds "a drag" because there's only one raid for now - which is a good thing: I also believe that the larger percentage of the user base on this game doesn't know about raids, and having one to learn the ins-and-outs of this type of gameplay will, imo, benefit everybody.

Now, the real question is: Will the new raids contained in the DLC be as good as this one, but different enough?

Dragon

Banned
Nah, I'm good. I'm barely a fan of FPS's as it is really. You're right that I should play it to form an adequate opinion but from all I've seen I don't really want to form one. Seems to me like it's all the parts of borderlands that I didn't like while taking out all the stuff that I did like.

Seems like you've formed an opinion anyway :).

I can't remember if it was Jeff or Brad who said it, but Destiny does seem like a game you'd play while doing something else. It makes for great background noise, but I have no desire to actually watch them do the raid.

Antiwhippy

However, the "end game" piece is the piece you'll be playing over and over again forever.

Because next week, the raid timer resets and you'll do it again. And the next week, again. And in-between, you'll be doing Strikes, Daily Quests and Weekly quests to fill time (and farm reputation) and get new items.

That's the thing that most people don't get about MMOs And destiny (even though Bungie keeps saying that it's not an MMO): The leveling up part is not the important part. That's why "the game only really starts at level 60" say exist: The raids are the cool part of the game, not the leveling up to them.

Not only that, I believe that Destiny is not a "loot" game, like Diablo is. It's not a "every run, I'll get a million drops, and every will be 1-2 points better than my previous weapon". Destiny is a "farm reputation and exchange items/rewards for loot at the vendors" kind of game. Further things that made me believe in that: There's no Loot Trading, there's no Loot "rolling" (Needs/Greeds for unique loot that every boss sells). Most of the things you get out of the game are materials, or trash loot that you turn into materials, used to upgrade the good weapons you'll get through reputation rewards/Buying them from Xur through strange coins, which you got by doing the Strikes/Weeklies/Dailies between each raid reset.

It also sounds "a drag" because there's only one raid for now - which is a good thing: I also believe that the larger percentage of the user base on this game doesn't know about raids, and having one to learn the ins-and-outs of this type of gameplay will, imo, benefit everybody.

Now, the real question is: Will the new raids contained in the DLC be as good as this one, but different enough?

Yeah, I guess that what I don't get about MMO gameplay is the appeal to run the same raid over and over. Though in a sense I can see that it's kind of like mastering a level?

I do feel that there should be more than one in the base game. edit: though this is coming from someone who really doesn't want to play destiny so hey. Whatever.

Danomeon

Neo Member
Yeah, I guess that what I don't get about MMO gameplay is the appeal to run the same raid over and over. Though in a sense I can see that it's kind of like mastering a level?

I do feel that there should be more than one in the base game. edit: though this is coming from someone who really doesn't want to play destiny so hey. Whatever.

As a guy who has raided in MMOs obsessively, the main source of the appeal is that it has a massive challenge that you'll chip away at for a long length of time. The addiction comes in from mechanic and character progress in the form of learning new fights and getting new gear, a bond formed with a raid group that you meet up with every week, and the desire to earn bragging rights and see content that others will never witness.

Like, look at this world first kill of the hardest boss in WoW's current tier on the hardest difficulty. There are so many mechanics to pay attention to and master that they're literally screaming with joy when they take it down, which is a blast. The average guild will take months of hard work to get to this point, and so the payout when you and your teammates take down that boss feels like the end of a great journey. http://youtu.be/1jQYObKTIG8?t=16m30s

That's the main appeal of the raids: the drive to overcome those huge challenges with friends. The weekly repetition is just a facet of needing to improve your gear in order to get your characters ready to take them on. My main issue with Destiny raiding is that there is no high peak to aspire to: the hardmode raid can be completed too easily.

Also with that stream i can see why Bungie wanted the matchmaking to be done manually but on the other hand i think if they would do matchmaking at that point whatever randoms that are matched with would be serious enough to get that shit down and work together to finish it (and if somehow someone is being a troll just fucking kick them out).

Especially given all the grinding they would have to do to get to those levels.

Final Round of Avalon:

Drew with that clutch

I actually thought
Danny was Merlin in that round

Overall Standings (in order)

Danny
Drew
Mary
Brad/Rorie
Dan

Antiwhippy

I get the appeal of having to prepare to take on a big challenge, it's just more that once you've beaten it wouldn't you have solved it already?

I get the appeal of having to prepare to take on a big challenge, it's just more that once you've beaten it wouldn't you have solved it already?

yea but then that's where it can become "personal challenges" like getting loot, or seeing how quickly/efficiently you can finish it (iirc there is an achievement/trophy for completing the raid without anyone dying), or doing the harder version of the raid or just doing it with other people or doing it with another class.

Similar to a driving game fan playing a track over and over to shave off his time (and maybe with a specific car to boot).

Or you want to bend it to your own will

Did Jeff stream his side? I don't see an archive. :(

Nope

its all Brad's side

erawsd

I don't agree with this at all. In traditional MMOs its usually a valid argument since the "level up" content is something you encounter once and never again.

However, that is absolutely not true of Destiny. The Strikes, Dailies, Weekly heroic/Nightfall, Bounties, Exotic weapon quests, and even the special 2 week long event are all made up of the exact same content you did while leveling. You even sit through all the same cut scenes and dialogue. The enemy abilities and behaviors never change, they don't even bother to rename or recolor them. They apply "modifiers" but those are mostly about "I'll shoot these guys with my Fire rifle instead of my Arc rifle this week."

Even the raid content is stretched thin compared with traditional MMOs. Most of the Vex are just level 27/28 versions of the ones you see everywhere else in the game. The environment art is all recycled and most of the bosses are just oversized versions of regular creatures; Atheon may be the only exception. Even some of the interesting new mechanics like the Relic and syncing are constantly reused across the encounters. While I haven't finished it myself, my understanding is that Destiny's hard mode is mechanically identical to normal except lots more trash waves and its all level 30; even the rewards are the same. In contrast, other MMOs like WOW and FFXIV will drastically alter the boss encounters and provide greater rewards.

"Doing/Seeing it again" is a constant throughout all of Destiny's content.

Also with that stream i can see why Bungie wanted the matchmaking to be done manually but on the other hand i think if they would do matchmaking at that point whatever randoms that are matched with would be serious enough to get that shit down and work together to finish it (and if somehow someone is being a troll just fucking kick them out).
WoW specifically added a mode that can be completed as long as like half the raid somewhat knows what they're doing to address the fact a large portion in raid matchmaking are, to put it frankly, bad.

Well, the first step after beating it once is beating it consistently. But yeah, at that point it becomes a place you go to to get gear so the next raid is a bit easier. This can be fun in the same way anything coop (Diablo 3, Borderlands etc.) is fun as long as the people you're doing it with are cool and you're mostly just talking shit on VOIP.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't agree with this at all. In traditional MMOs its usually a valid argument since the "level up" content is something you encounter once and never again.

However, that is absolutely not true of Destiny. The Strikes, Dailies, Weekly heroic/Nightfall, Bounties, Exotic weapon quests, and even the special 2 week long event are all made up of the exact same content you did while leveling. You even sit through all the same cut scenes and dialogue. The enemy abilities and behaviors never change, they don't even bother to rename or recolor them. They apply "modifiers" but those are mostly about "I'll shoot these guys with my Fire rifle instead of my Arc rifle this week."

Even the raid content is stretched thin compared with traditional MMOs. Most of the Vex are just level 27/28 versions of the ones you see everywhere else in the game. The environment art is all recycled and most of the bosses are just oversized versions of regular creatures; Atheon may be the only exception. Even some of the interesting new mechanics like the Relic and syncing are constantly reused across the encounters. While I haven't finished it myself, my understanding is that Destiny's hard mode is mechanically identical to normal except lots more trash waves and its all level 30; even the rewards are the same. In contrast, other MMOs like WOW and FFXIV will drastically alter the boss encounters and provide greater rewards.

"Doing/Seeing it again" is a constant throughout all of Destiny's content.

atheon is just a glitzy gatelord

Myggen

I can't wait for Brad to filibuster the GOTY debate with Destiny.

Nah, he won't. He has said that he recognizes that the game is deeply flawed, and no one else will fight for it. He didn't even fight that hard for Dota 2 last year after it got on the list (which no one really fought against), and that's one of his all time favourite games at this point! The "most dissapointing" category might be a fight though :)

Perfect. Was Brad salty?

Not really. Just seemed happy about finally beating that raid.

Myggen

Broken Age is more disappointing than all those to me, but I think they liked it or something.

I really liked that game. Or at least the part that has been released.

edit: Hope Dan's Bayonetta 2 review is going up today or tomorrow. The hype is real (and the moderation in Polygon's and Gamespot's comment section is all too real also).

Top Bottom