• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Myggen

I'm expecting Jason to crash into the recording room at the last minute and tag team with Dan to GOTYfy Bayonetta 2.

Heh, it's a shame that Nintendo/Platinum insists on a day 1 embargo of longer form footage even for a game that by all accounts is fantastic. But I guess that's what Nintendo does most of the time :/ I want a QL now!

Yep, Nintendo's video policies are really dumb. About 10 years behind the competition.
Just like in everything else.

It's especially dumb considering the game's already out in Japan so the gameplay's already out there.

Myggen

Yep, Nintendo's video policies are really dumb. About 10 years behind the competition.
Just like in everything else.

It's especially dumb considering the game's already out in Japan so the gameplay's already out there.

Yeah, Nintendo seems to still be on autopilot when it comes to this stuff and do not really take into account if the game is out in Japan, whether it's a good or a bad game etc. Ah well, "it's Nintendo".

Renpatsu

Yeah. I played through the girl's side in one sitting, and got partway through the boy's, stopped and never wanted to bother going back.
I'm not as disappointed with the game knowing that it is only a partial story to the overall game, but I will say that due in part to the fact that it isn't complete the emotional arc of the characters and gameplay is left wanting even in spite of how Act 1 wraps up (which I did in fact enjoy).

Zaph

Destiny is going to get more attention than Bayonetta 2, isn't it? Ugh.

These things usually don't bother me, but jesus Nintendo, get on it.

Jintor

Destiny is going to get more attention than Bayonetta 2, isn't it? Ugh.

These things usually don't bother me, but jesus Nintendo, get on it.

This is the problem with hitching your attention wagon to personalities, sometimes they don't like the thing you like ;__;

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You say that like its nintendo's fault for making destiny overshadow bayonetta 2.

Or that it's possible for nintendo to make it gain more attention.

edit: wait, are you talking about the crew or just public perception?

A few weeks ago on the Bombcast they couldn't even TALK about Smash except for the demo despite that also having been out a couple of weeks at the time in Japan. Just absurdly stupid.

I don't agree with this at all. In traditional MMOs its usually a valid argument since the "level up" content is something you encounter once and never again.

However, that is absolutely not true of Destiny. The Strikes, Dailies, Weekly heroic/Nightfall, Bounties, Exotic weapon quests, and even the special 2 week long event are all made up of the exact same content you did while leveling. You even sit through all the same cut scenes and dialogue. The enemy abilities and behaviors never change, they don't even bother to rename or recolor them. They apply "modifiers" but those are mostly about "I'll shoot these guys with my Fire rifle instead of my Arc rifle this week."

Even the raid content is stretched thin compared with traditional MMOs. Most of the Vex are just level 27/28 versions of the ones you see everywhere else in the game. The environment art is all recycled and most of the bosses are just oversized versions of regular creatures; Atheon may be the only exception. Even some of the interesting new mechanics like the Relic and syncing are constantly reused across the encounters. While I haven't finished it myself, my understanding is that Destiny's hard mode is mechanically identical to normal except lots more trash waves and its all level 30; even the rewards are the same. In contrast, other MMOs like WOW and FFXIV will drastically alter the boss encounters and provide greater rewards.

"Doing/Seeing it again" is a constant throughout all of Destiny's content.

While I completely agree with you in regards to how much content is recycled, I think Vault of Glass is designed very cleverly.

The first encounter teaches you how sync plates work and what can deactivate them. Making your way down to the templar is a light platforming section. Templar fight teaches you about oracles and the relic. Gorgon's Maze is it's own challenge. Then you platform again like before but with a timing mechanic (or you can cheese it like I do and glide down to the ledge). The final battle puts several mechanics you learn about to use.

I like the kind of organic learning curve it puts you on. I played WoW and raided for about 7 years and I can't remember a time when there was anything like that. Every boss was it's own separate encounter with it's own rules and mechanics. That's great too, but it was refreshing going into a new boss fight going "Okay, I know what this does (kind of). Let's see how I can use it now".

It's gotta be, Watch_Dogs is the only possible alternative but that game, as hyped as it was, had a fraction of the hype that Destiny. I'm more curious as to what will be their biggest surprise this year.

I have no clue what will be the biggest surprise this year. I can see shadow of mordor taking it.

Meneses

I like Destiny and it is the most disappointing game of the year hands down.

I'm with you.

The game is so flawed, so many weird design decisions... But still, I do enjoy the gunplay and play it at least a bit every day, although it's starting to wear out its welcome.

I hope more people than Dan play Bayonetta 2. Nintendo games, for whatever reason, always seem stuck with one person saying "it's really good!" and someone else going "well, OK, sure" and it plopping down around 6-3.

I'm sure there's cases where that hasn't happened (ALBW) but I just remember Galaxy 2, Shattered Memories and so on.

Basically what I'm saying is Patrick play Bayo 2 god damn it

Zaph

I hope more people than Dan play Bayonetta 2. Nintendo games, for whatever reason, always seem stuck with one person saying "it's really good!" and someone else going "well, OK, sure" and it plopping down around 6-3.

I'm sure there's cases where that hasn't happened (ALBW) but I just remember Galaxy 2, Shattered Memories and so on.

Basically what I'm saying is Patrick play Bayo 2 god damn it

Dunno what it is, but I've fallen into that cycle for the past couple Nintendo generations. I know their games are still great, but I have no desire to go down that well trodden path. Even when they do new stuff, it feels old. It's like some sort of anti-nostalgia.

I think Bowser's Inside Story was the last Nintendo game that grabbed me and didn't let go, and oddly enough, Monster Hunter 4 on the New 3DS is the 'Nintendo game' I want to play next.

jgminto

If I had to bet I'd say Jeff, Patrick and maybe Dan would be the ones to play Bayo 2. I don't think Brad even got around to playing MGR if I remember correctly.

I found it funny how they shut down mario 3d world last year in the goty talks.

I'm not normally one to whine about GOTY lists (much) but the idea that AC4 made the list because it was substantially better than the last one (even though it was still just another AC game) and yet Mario got dropped for being 'just another Mario game' massively annoyed me.

That Stone Dude

Neo Member
As much as Jeff may push for Destiny to get Most Disappointing I think Brad will push even harder against it. It might make runner up, but I don't see it winning.

Right now though the Game of the Year list is thin enough that I haven't a clue what has a shot of winning. There's still some big games to go however, and I imagine with Dragon Age, AC: Unity, and Sunset Overdrive still to go I could see one of those 3 being really good.

Nishastra

Banned
I found it funny how they shut down mario 3d world last year in the goty talks.
What I found more funny was how everyone else was gushing over it when Captain Toad was announced, and Jeff was like "...What?"

Weird on multiple levels. Everyone had so thoroughly dismissed it before that it was weird to find out that they all liked it a lot, and then of course Jeff had refused to give it the time of day because "the levels were too wide", and seemed to think there was some kind of negative consensus on the game.

I think Brad will agree Destiny is disappointing. There are lots of us who are still playing the game, fully aware of how stupid it is.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
As much as Jeff may push for Destiny to get Most Disappointing I think Brad will push even harder against it. It might make runner up, but I don't see it winning.

Right now though the Game of the Year list is thin enough that I haven't a clue what has a shot of winning. There's still some big games to go however, and I imagine with Dragon Age, AC: Unity, and Sunset Overdrive still to go I could see one of those 3 being really good.
Of the games yet to come out, I would say Far Cry 4 is the one that I can see making it to the top of their lists.

Also, I don't think the year is thin at all. It's no '98 of course, but it has quite a few really good games. But we already had this talk a couple of times in this thread.

Most surprising will be Wolfenstein.

Myggen

The GB GOTY thread will be glorious.

Yeah, I could see that. There was a question on the podcast about what dream game would they make and Brad's response was that he'd make Destiny into the game he wanted it to be.

Yeah, Brad won't fight for that game. He might fight for it not being the most dissapointing game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually agrees with Jeff in the end there.

erawsd

While I completely agree with you in regards to how much content is recycled, I think Vault of Glass is designed very cleverly.

The first encounter teaches you how sync plates work and what can deactivate them. Making your way down to the templar is a light platforming section. Templar fight teaches you about oracles and the relic. Gorgon's Maze is it's own challenge. Then you platform again like before but with a timing mechanic (or you can cheese it like I do and glide down to the ledge). The final battle puts several mechanics you learn about to use.

I like the kind of organic learning curve it puts you on. I played WoW and raided for about 7 years and I can't remember a time when there was anything like that. Every boss was it's own separate encounter with it's own rules and mechanics. That's great too, but it was refreshing going into a new boss fight going "Okay, I know what this does (kind of). Let's see how I can use it now".

I prefer the "WoW style" but I'll concede that that is a fair argument for the relic and sync plates.

I think Brad will agree Destiny is disappointing. There are lots of us who are still playing the game, fully aware of how stupid it is.

Yeah, I could see that. There was a question on the podcast about what dream game would they make and Brad's response was that he'd make Destiny into the game he wanted it to be.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So i just got dragon age origins for free on origin.

Cant wait to try it out

Really good game. Especially fun if you're the type of player that takes their time and likes to explore everything.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I never understood why people got so angry at GOTY discussion, it's just seems childish. Also we all know that Shadow of mordor is gonna be giant bomb's GOTY, they all seem to love that game.

Zaph

I never understood why people got so angry at GOTY discussion, it's just seems childish. Also we all know that Shadow of mordor is gonna be giant bomb's GOTY, they all seem to love that game.

Most Disappointing is where the real fun begins. Filibuster Brad will be back.

If the year ended today, Mordor would almost certainly be their GOTY considering how much they gush over it even in other quicklooks. I hope they do a Bayonetta quicklook, though.

Top Bottom