• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Mixlr confirmations: Demo Derby episode is recorded!

D2usTEi.gif

Megasoum

Banned
What's up with everybody spoiling the podcast in the thread tonight? I feel like we're not doing that normally in here since there's a thread about it.

I mean... I'm not freaking out about it or anything, just think it's kinda weird that it's happening all of a sudden

Also, it's a bit of a bummer

What's up with everybody spoiling the podcast in the thread tonight? I feel like we're not doing that normally in here since there's a thread about it.

I mean... I'm not freaking out about it or anything, just think it's kinda weird that it's happening all of a sudden

Also, it's a bit of a bummer

happens every tuesday I notice o.o?

a1soqxP.gif

Now I want a Quick Look of MLB: The Show 16.

I want muh Giant Bomb sports team do work.

At this point, I doubt it's happening. Would love it to, but the game's been out for weeks already. Having the game already, I wouldn't watch it to see what the game's about, I'd watch it to see them do the things they usually do in a sports game Quick Look. I still love their Super Mega Baseball one with Dan's love of the sound of the umpires voice.

I'm honestly very curious about how much sway GB has on the Metacritic score, being a fellow CBSi website.

Apparently not alot.

A while ago someone broke down the weighted system metacritic uses and Gb was waaaaasay down the list.

On mobile but hopefully someone digs that up. It was pretty hilarious / depressing. Lots of trustworthy and respected sites lower then random fan sites

Apparently not alot.

A while ago someone broke down the weighted system metacritic uses and Gb was waaaaasay down the list.

On mobile but hopefully someone digs that up. It was pretty hilarious / depressing. Lots of trustworthy and respected sites lower then random fan sites

Here's the list (GB weighted at 0.5 of the average!), though Kotaku apparently ran a story that found that the study for that article was flawed. The author was a professor...at Full Sail University, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kind of excited to see the way 3 concludes now thanks to austin.

My apathy for it still somewhat remains. Still feels too fanservicey, still feels like it's made because it's a sequel to a popular thing which kinda detracts the allure of souls to me. Like, I don't really need a conclusion to the dark souls lore necessarily. Dark souls to me works as a singular, self-contained thing and the vagueness of the larger narrative added more than it detracted, but if they're going to conclude it then I'm at least glad that it seems like they did it well?

yami4ct

I played Dark Souls 3 all day. That is a damn good game. Damn good. Looking nice on PC as well. Not running into any major bugs yet. Game is running at a constant 60 FPS, but I'm on a 970 so that's what I'd expect. It almost feels wrong playing DS at 60FPS given I played DKS1 on PC at 30 and the others on console. Their terrible frame rates almost add to the grungy dirty look of the thing. 60 FPS feels really damn good, but at times almost looks a bit too clean if that makes sense. Not that I'd want to go back, but it's a funny thing.

What a damn great year for video games. We've already gotten the amazing Fire Emblem Fates and Dark Souls and the year isn't quite a quarter done. Excited to see how everything else pans out.

So no spoilers, but the draw distance on Dark Souls 3 is amazing.

You get to this part where off to the distance you see a figure that's clearly animated, and fully polygonal. They don't seem to be using any 2d tricks(Converting 3d models to 2D when you reach a certain distance) and it's great. I'm sure he has a stand in model, but just seeing a nice little animated figure in the far off distance makes me appreciate this game just a bit more.

Wunder

So no spoilers, but the draw distance on Dark Souls 3 is amazing.

You get to this part where off to the distance you see a figure that's clearly animated, and fully polygonal. They don't seem to be using any 2d tricks(Converting 3d models to 2D when you reach a certain distance) and it's great. I'm sure he has a stand in model, but just seeing a nice little animated figure in the far off distance makes me appreciate this game just a bit more.

See that dude?

You can kill that guy

repeater

Thank you jeff for pointing out the dark souls guy thumbs up.

Been driving me batty ever since I saw it.
Haha, yeah, it's really close to being a great cover but that one detail makes it look entirely stupid!

I don't understand what makes it so demanding, though. I was playing Dark Souls 2 earlier today and that's a better looking game graphically with a better framerate.
Errr, what? The graphical leap between DS2 and DS3 is extremely tangible (in DS3's favour)?

Wunder said:
See that dude?

You can kill get killed by that guy
Fixed that for you.

See that dude?

You can kill that guy

YOU CAN KILL EVERYONE

except the blue knight. you know the one. Well you can.

I think what I like this more than Bloodborne 3 is that there's just more characters to talk with. More story told through characters than environment, the acting that feels like there was a lot of heart put into it even if it's not considered 'great' voice acting. It just fits. The voices have a natural fit to it, like if i were to meet that voice actor in real life, that'd be their speaking voice. It's something Demons Souls had, and something I felt that DS2 and 3 didn't because the lack of hub areas to contain these moments.

Meeting the monk in Demons Souls, then saving the lead monk, the mage in training, saving the arch mage, the dark wtich, Yurt...

...DS3 uses alot of callbacks. But it does it in a way that makes the series feel fresh again. I love it.

I think what I like this more than Bloodborne 3 is that there's just more characters to talk with. More story told through characters than environment, the acting that feels like there was a lot of heart put into it even if it's not considered 'great' voice acting. It just fits. The voices have a natural fit to it, like if i were to meet that voice actor in real life, that'd be their speaking voice. It's something Demons Souls had, and something I felt that DS2 and 3 didn't because the lack of hub areas to contain these moments.

Meeting the monk in Demons Souls, then saving the lead monk, the mage in training, saving the arch mage, the dark wtich, Yurt...

...DS3 uses alot of callbacks. But it does it in a way that makes the series feel fresh again. I love it.

You're making me so excited! Looking forward to jumping in at the weekend...so the world might be mended.

BearPawB

Banned
I love love love love Dark Souls 3 so far. The NPC quests are great. The bosses are thrilling (if a little easy so far). Although I just got to one area and the difficulty seemed to jump up in a big way.

I actually had to use stealth to avoid aggroing some patrols.

Just a beautiful, engrossing game.

I love love love love Dark Souls 3 so far. The NPC quests are great. The bosses are thrilling (if a little easy so far). Although I just got to one area and the difficulty seemed to jump up in a big way.

I actually had to use stealth to avoid aggroing some patrols.

Just a beautiful, engrossing game.

It's something that was missing from Dark Souls 1, 2, and Bloodborne. They had it here and there, but not to the extent Demons Souls had, which was possible because of having a nexus point where these characters gather.

Yeah, there was the Firelink Shrine in DS, but it wasn't as evolving as Demons Souls. Bloodborne had the Dream, but only 2 npcs inhabiting it. Fits the story sure, but...

There's just something to having a sort of town that grows and changes over time.

Myggen

The Giant Bomb Wiki says he was born 07/26/1985, so he'll turn 31 in a few months.

Edit: Here are is the Giant Bomb Wiki list of birthdays:

Jeff Gerstmann: 08/01/1975 (Currently 40)
Jason Oestreicher: *
Vinny Caravella: 05/10/1978 (Currently 37)
Brad Shoemaker: 07/20/1979 (Currently 36)
Matt Rorie: 11/10/1979 (Currently 36)
Alex Navarro: 11/18/1981 (Currently 34)
Dan Ryckert: 06/16/1984 (Currently 31)
Austin Walker: 07/26/1985 (Currently 30)
Drew Scanlon: 05/19/1986 (Currently 29)

*Jason does not have a wiki entry yet, but in 2015, he mentioned his first son was 22 years old and that Jason was 16 when his son was born. Going by that math, he was about 16 years old in 1993 (22 years before 2015). Being 16 in 1993, would mean he was born in 1977, making him 38/39.

FYI Jason does not have a Wiki entry because he hasn't been credited in any game AFAIK. You need that to go into the Wiki.

My only issue with Dark Souls 3 is that I'm coming to terms with preferring Bloodborne combat. Don't know why the transition to BB wasn't tripping me up but from BB is.

Myggen

someone get dave lang to put jason in the special thanks to divekick or some shit so we can make fun of him on the wiki

I'd be surprised if Beamdog doesn't put all the GB staffers in their special thanks credit for one of their games with how they always use GB names in their preview screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom