• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 05/31/16

kiguel182

The Overwatch talk reminded me that the game does a poor job of telling you what those medals mean.

I also thought they were related to my performance vs myself when they are my performance on the team. I had to learn that here instead of in the game. It totally changes the meaning of those post match statistics.

Lelcar

I really like this week's Bombcast, I dunno, the topics of discussion really clicked with me and I found myself agreeing with a lot of Jeff's points this week. This is my favourite Bombcast of the year so far. Really good discussions for my interests this week.

Also,
"Shoot the shit while we shoot the shit"
-J.G.

The Overwatch talk reminded me that the game does a poor job of telling you what those medals mean.

I also thought they were related to my performance vs myself when they are my performance on the team. I had to learn that here instead of in the game. It totally changes the meaning of those post match statistics.

Dan said he got 30+ kills on Twitter earlier. lol

Sure you did Dan. Sure you did.
Assists count as kills in Overwatch. So even if you tag someone for 1 damage that counts as an elimination.

Overwatch is the participation medal of video games.

kiguel182

Assists count as kills in Overwatch. So even if you tag someone for 1 damage that counts as an elimination.

I actually like that. Getting the last hit doesn't make sense when a character has a ton of health. It's a team effort.

Gurrry

Even if it was just 1 hp hits, 30 eliminations is still good. And its not like its unachievable either. I consistently get 20+ with roadhog and have managed 30+ on a few occasions as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

And NO objective help!

Interesting that even Jeff's surprised how quiet e3 seems this year so far. Either it means everything's been successfully locked-down and kept hush hush, or we've already heard the best/worst of the leaks.

Interesting that even Jeff's surprised how quiet e3 seems this year so far. Either it means everything's been successfully locked-down and kept hush hush, or we've already heard the best/worst of the leaks.

I mean, how much does he really know from judges week (and other discussions)? I'm sure he's aware of a few surprise announcements, but isn't mostly everything there playable at least? Meaning we've heard of most of those games by now?

Alucrid

Banned
i don't understand the whole overwatch forced drama thing. that's the whole point of being able to contest the point or payload

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I really, really wish they would have a cultural discussion podcast. But, at the same time, I'm sure the meditation/stress/etc. talk angered some dumb assholes, so I'm cool either way.

BiggNife

If you care that much about K/D ratio there are 5000000000000 other games that focus on that stuff

kiguel182

i don't understand the whole overwatch forced drama thing. that's the whole point of being able to contest the point or payload

The situation they've described happened to me a lot too and made me wonder if there was something going on behind the scenes.

I think that the design of the game is what makes those turns happen but how I'm not sure.

But I've been dominating games just for other team to take out the point in the last second to wonder how that works.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I'm pretty sure it's just people amping up their efforts. If I'm not Winston, I'll switch to Winston so I can leap to the objective, pop a barrier, and hope I can get my ult. while the rest of my team gets there.

I apologize for liking Overwatch everybody.

In all seriousness though, to the people complaing, now you know I feel about 95% of most AAA games that they talk about on the show.

ArjanN

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he's right. I actually think Hearthstone has a weird type of "rubber banding" integrated as well.

I think the thing is more that the 'magic pixel' in fighting games is a better comparison. In that, yes, it's designed that way to create more drama, but it's equal for both sides and doesn't unbalance the game, while in Mario Party just random unfair shit happens all the time.

I think I just hit my limit with hearing about the NEO, Scorpio, naming conventions, the future life cycles, etc etc. I can't take it anymore when we have no confirmation of anything to speculate ten years into the future.

And can we not compare everything in technology to Apple?

The idea is that if there is some "behind the scenes" stuff that makes the game less balanced in favor of creating more of these "dramatic" moments, that that is not good for competitive games.

I'd argue that people should watch this Rocket League GDC talk from this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1BIsCby2c

Tune into around the 31:00 minute mark (actually watch the whole thing) to see him describe how that last "1 second" of gameplay is often artificially stretched out to make the game more dramatic...and in turn FUN. I don't have any problem with this at all. In fact, I've said before, at many points in development a developer is going to be given to the option to make a game more "realistic" or more "fun" and if the developer doesn't opt for the side of making the game more fun, that they have failed at their jobs as developers. Rocket League nailed it, and I think Overwatch does too. So long as these things are subtle touches, which I think is what Blizzard is doing, it only makes the game more exciting.

Kusagari

I will say the the amount of time my team holds onto a point the entire time only to lose it in the final 30 seconds is insane.

Not sure if it's just emblematic of the other team finally getting their head out of their ass or what.

Alucrid

Banned
The idea is that if there is some "behind the scenes" stuff that makes the game less balanced in favor of creating more of these "dramatic" moments, that that is not good for competitive games.

I'd argue that people should watch this Rocket League GDC talk from this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1BIsCby2c

Tune into around the 31:00 minute mark (actually watch the whole thing) to see him describe how that last "1 second" of gameplay is often artificially stretched out to make the game more dramatic...and in turn FUN. I don't have any problem with this at all. In fact, I've said before, at many points in development a developer is going to be given to the option to make a game more "realistic" or more "fun" and if the developer doesn't opt for the side of making the game more fun, that they have failed at their jobs as developers. Rocket League nailed it, and I think Overwatch does too. So long as these things are subtle touches, which I think is what Blizzard is doing, it only makes the game more exciting.

sure, but what's "behind the scenes"? it all seems pretty obvious. when it's overtime and the capture point is contested at 99%, you have to keep the enemy out of the capture point until the overtime meter ticks down. if they get in the overtime bar is reset and you have to do it over again. that's not behind the scenes, that's just how it works. same for rocket league. there's nothing behind the scenes there, the game just doesn't end until the ball touches the ground at 0:00.

ArjanN

That Platinum games e-mail was some hyperbolic shit, stuff like TMNT and Korra is still better than your usual licensed based stuff. Sure, it's mediocre maybe but definitely not in the tier of worst games out there or whatever that e-mail clamed.

I think I just hit my limit with hearing about the NEO, Scorpio, naming conventions, the future life cycles, etc etc. I can't take it anymore when we have no confirmation of anything to speculate ten years into the future.

And can we not compare everything in technology to Apple?

If by ten years, you mean a week and a half, sure. :p

Also, Apple is the default comparion comparison for tech stuff, at least for people living in that bubble like GB is. And that's coming from someone who generally dislikes Apple.

sure, but what's "behind the scenes"? it all seems pretty obvious. when it's overtime and the capture point is contested at 99%, you have to keep the enemy out of the capture point until the overtime meter ticks down. if they get in the overtime bar is reset and you have to do it over again. that's not behind the scenes, that's just how it works. same for rocket league. there's nothing behind the scenes there, the game just doesn't end until the ball touches the ground at 0:00.

But sometimes that last 1 second or so before the ball touches the ground at 0:00 will be stretched out to a few seconds. Again, watch the link to see what I mean.

If by ten years, you mean a week and a half, sure. :p

Also, Apple is the default comparion comparison for tech stuff, at least for people living in that bubble like GB is. And that's coming from someone who generally dislikes Apple.

By ten years I meant how they get to the point where they wonder what this means for PS5 and the future of consoles and all the kind of stuff which is all crazy to me when we still don't know their plan for these machines because they haven't confirmed anything.

And I was afraid to say what you just did about Apple but that's exactly what it is lol.

Alucrid

Banned
But sometimes that last 1 second or so before the ball touches the ground at 0:00 will be stretched out to a few seconds. Again, watch the link to see what I mean.

i'm not seeing where they say that they lie about the length of the last second. i watched from 31:00-32:35, until the next title slide. if they were making the last second actually 2 seconds, then yes, that's behind the scenes, but that's not what they're saying

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he's right. I actually think Hearthstone has a weird type of "rubber banding" integrated as well.

I actually think it has more to do with them not fully understanding how overtime works? A team getting their shit together and realizing they have to stay on the payload so that the overtime meter doesn't run out isn't "rubber banding," it's part of the game's design. Like suggesting some nebulous ~behind the scenes~ bullshit when the devs have spent so much time trying to make the game fair and balanced is weird. Like, what, do they think the attacking team receives a damage buff in the final thirty seconds? Because that's demonstrably not the case.

i'm not seeing where they say that they lie about the length of the last second. i watched from 31:00-32:35, until the next title slide. if they were making the last second actually 2 seconds, then yes, that's behind the scenes, but that's not what they're saying

I think he alludes to it. Or maybe this is the wrong part of the talk. I'll take another look when I'm home from work.

No_Style

I keep thinking that meditating will be helpful but I don't feel like I'm over worrying about stuff and can easily let things go.

Kinda salt they didn't read my Fallout 4 Far Harbor e-mail (well not that upset) because no one is talking about the problems...or the DLC at all.

And christ at that Artie Lange e-mail, that's really sad.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, how much does he really know from judges week (and other discussions)? I'm sure he's aware of a few surprise announcements, but isn't mostly everything there playable at least? Meaning we've heard of most of those games by now?

People need to go back and listen to what Jeff was saying about E3 2015 upon his return from Judges Week, and how he was skeptical that it would have much to offer because of what he saw there.

Conferences are where a lot of the surprise announcements and big stuff is shown for the first time.

Tanis

I really enjoy listening to the talk of dealing with stress and meditation. From the outside people like Drew and Dan don't seem to have a care in the world and to hear that they suffer from stress and anxiety about work is eye opening.

This year I've finally put my pride aside to try and get help for it. Listening the Giant Bomb guys talk about only makes me want to redouble my efforts. I'll definitely check out that 10% Happier book too.

Zornack

They don't. These games are widely popular and played competitively as e-sports. Any sort of rubber banding would be found by those who make a living off the game.

LQX

Brads needs to stop with "....it's so dumb". It seems to be a common theme with him in regards to anything he does not like.

I really enjoy listening to the talk of dealing with stress and meditation. From the outside people like Drew and Dan don't seem to have a care in the world and to hear that they suffer from stress and anxiety about work is eye opening.

This year I've finally put my pride aside to try and get help for it. Listening the Giant Bomb guys talk about only makes me want to redouble my efforts. I'll definitely check out that 10% Happier book too.

Yeah I was pretty shocked they both have anxiety. I would think being surrounded by co-workers who are also seemingly good friends and would not care if they fucked up would alleviate any stress they might have

Yeah I was pretty shocked they both have anxiety. I would think being surrounded by co-workers who are also seemingly good friends and would not care if they fucked up would alleviate any stress they might have

Anxiety problems aren't so simple.

jediyoshi

No, it's very dumb as hell. He's shocked a thing that happens by design.. is happening. "No guys, it's happened to me personally, a bunch. And it's a good thing. So they must be fudging it". They literally structure cooldowns exactly for these momentum shifts to happen in the first place. The fact that he can't pin a single variable that might be up in the air is telling. What would be at odds? Cooldowns are constant. Death times are constant. Overtime count is contant. Overtime extension is constant. Capture rate is constant. What?

When did they talk about it? On the podcast?

FStop7

Banned
People need to go back and listen to what Jeff was saying about E3 2015 upon his return from Judges Week, and how he was skeptical that it would have much to offer because of what he saw there.

Conferences are where a lot of the surprise announcements and big stuff is shown for the first time.

In fairness, they weren't exactly impressed with the three biggest surprises of E3 2015.

Brad's angry "waste of resources" rant was the best thing.

Mr. F

Banned
That Platinum games e-mail was some hyperbolic shit, stuff like TMNT and Korra is still better than your usual licensed based stuff. Sure, it's mediocre maybe but definitely not in the tier of worst games out there or whatever that e-mail clamed.

I have no personal stake in the Platinum thing but that did strike me as pretty funny, both on the emailer's part and the crew's. Nobody came to Star Fox's rescue for it just being perfectly average.

Top Bottom