• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GitHyp: LawBreakers Open Beta Numbers Were Bad, Paladins Doing Great

Paladins and PUBG (and many other EA games) proved that you don't need heavy marketing campaign to be successful in multiplayer space.

Release a good game, and let the players promote the game for free.

Truth be told those two are a bit special. Paladins had the whole "Overwatch ripoff/budget Overwatch" thing surrounding it which was pretty much free marketing while with PUBG Bluehole sent out alpha codes to streamers including big names and got a whole lot of people's eyes on the game.

Of course that is just one part of it. As you said the game needs to be good. If the games weren't fun and appealing then it wouldn't mean much in the long run. But in the short term it a did a lot for those games to get people checking them out. Now look at Breakaway. Amazon primed it as a Twitch game, they have streamers playing it at home or at their HQ in tournaments, they have weekly tests now and barely anyone cares.

I had literally heard nothing about this game until about a week or two ago. At least for Paladins I have seen ads on a few sites and Steam keeps recommending it to me.

Paladins and PUBG (and many other EA games) proved that you don't need heavy marketing campaign to be successful in multiplayer space.

Release a good game, and let the players promote the game for free.

Paladins was probably a case of right place, right time, but it's not fair to compare this to PUBG. That game is probably the biggest phenomenon since DayZ. Heck; it'll probably surpass DayZ in the long term because its development studio isn't run by idiots.

LawBreakers may find a niche for itself, but I doubt it could ever be more than a modest success. It's going into a highly competitive genre with IMO very unappealing character designs and visual style. The skill ceiling also seems very high which will probably put a lot of people off.

Sidon

It's nice to see the haters finally coming out of the waterworks, seriously wHere was this hate during the beta. I could only see praise to the game.

As one of those who didn't like it: I didn't bother venting my hate on forums, I just uninstalled. Couldn't be motivated to give feedback either, since that will most likely end up in the bit shredder too or snowed under by the 'git gud' crowd.

EL CUCO

There's rumours of another open beta before launch. At this point, it needs it to hopefully wipe some of this negative press.

Blam

As one of those who didn't like it: I didn't bother venting my hate on forums, I just uninstalled. Couldn't be motivated to give feedback either, since that will most likely end up in the bit shredder too or snowed under by the 'git gud' crowd.

You could have easily mentioned it on the discord, where they had a feedback channel.

Also isn't this site very bad at tracking actual users. It says CSGO has had 6.59Billion total users.

VHVA18x.png

That is not so bad is it?

Top Bottom