• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GitHyp: LawBreakers Open Beta Numbers Were Bad, Paladins Doing Great

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
The controls for that game are so shitty I gave up after the first beta

Ryuuga

Banned
So what your saying is Lawbreakers is an ;FPS; hobby-grade, multiplayer, genre-specific, mode-deprived, competitive e-sports aspired, meta-stagnant + epic appreciation for other hero shooters.

That said the RC Cola comparison was on point.

Ploid 3.0

I had no idea LawBreakers was in open beta, I thought that was closed beta. I would have probably gave it a try, though I'm no fps fan.

My nephew, a Overwatch fan, loved Paladins when he played it for the first time last week. It was probably for the best that his first experience with it was on a gaming PC, now he doesn't have to mess with PS+ when it expire whenever.

Navid

Add me to the number of people who signed up for the closed beta (PS4),never got in and was unaware that there was an open beta period...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Kinda makes sense that Cliffy said it was the Mortal Kombat to OW's Street Fighter. I don't like Mortal Kombat and I don't like his game either. lol

Rarius

I couldn't stand it, for some reason the game felt slow and choppy despite running at a really, really good framerate, it just felt gross.

NeoRaider

Paladins is a really really good game. More people should play it. Its the perfect mix of Overwatch objectives with more moba sensitives on the character builds.

I am having so much fun with it, i love it.
And i feel bad for judging it before i tried the game. It's like more casual version of OW with better community and less toxicity and salt. And also i am doing great with few champions. And cards system is also very good and makes everything fresh.

For a free game. I think that Paladins is amazing!

I thought that Lawbreakers was a ton of fun and have been looking forward to it since the Open Beta. Much more fun gameplay-wise than Overwatch has been lately.

I'm assuming many have clamped onto Overwatch as their game of choice whether because they like the characters or have put just a lot of time/money into it. Also, Quake Champions (also VERY fun) is hitting that same "Arena shooter redux" audience. As others have said, there are simply too many multiplayer games vying for our attention these days and with microtransactions, everyone wants you to be only on their game and no others.

There is only so much time in the day and if you are enamored with Overwatch's characters, which many are, then Lawbreakers isn't going to change that.

Is it possible that the reason Lawbreakers and Battleborn didn't take off is because of the character design? The characters is LB look like shit while BBs characters look really fucking weird and ugly. Paladins' initial characters looked generic, but they have been getting more and more creative with them as time passes.

hydruxo

I enjoyed what I played of LawBreakers but my god if it didn't just have the most abominable character designs I've seen in a good while.

The characters are pretty terrible looking yeah haha. I kind of was able to turn a blind eye to it though because I had a blast with the gunplay. The zero grav sections are what really make the game work for me.

VariantX

Add me to the number of people who signed up for the closed beta (PS4),never got in and was unaware that there was an open beta period...

Yeah, literally had no idea. Seems they didn't do nearly well enough of a job to let people know they could play.

Nydius

I understand what CliffyB is trying to go for with Lawbreakers but I just don't know if it really matters. As someone who was big into Unreal Tournament when it first came out, I don't really get Unreal Tournament vibes from Lawbreakers. Watching it, I feel like it's a hodgepodge of different elements thrown together, lumped into a ball, then chucked at a wall to see what sticks. Just watching Blitzball was painful, I'm not even sure I want to experience it for myself.

As others have said, the shooter market is saturated with a wide variety of different types. There's your COD/Battlefield types, OW/Paladins hero shooter types, Quake and F2P Unreal Tournament alpha arena types, all out there right now vying for player's time and dollars. I just don't see where Lawbreakers will be competitive with any of these, especially not when they openly admit they started as a F2P model and went budget retail instead.

This also makes me wonder: Will Cliff be successful now that he's broken from Epic Games or was Epic Games a critical part of what made Cliff's projects successful in the first place? If Lawbreakers could say they were from the same studio - rather than just the developer - of Unreal and Gears of War, would it have a better chance of success? How many people these days even really know Cliff is behind those two projects and just equate them to Epic Games as a whole? After "retiring" in 2012, Cliff sort of just disappeared and I'm not sure he has as much cachet behind his name five years later.

JDB

Banned
I thought the game was pretty enjoyable, but with how busy and unreadable almost everything is in the game it's like they're purposefully trying to turn people off from the game. The pace of the game is really fast and it's doing nothing to make anything clear. The HUD is busy, environments are busy, characters are hard to read and there are tons of fancy looking effects going on all the time.

Part of the reason why Overwatch works is that while it is pretty complex gameplay-wise it is incredibly clean and easy to read. You know what the hell is actually going on. This makes it way more approachable and less overwhelming.

Pooya

The game was aimed at people that wanted realistic gritty Overwatch or something like that according to Cliff himself. As it turns out most of the appeal of Overwatch is in its style and characters more than any where else and people that want gritty have Quake Champions to play which is really nice. I played beta for a bit, I think the game was fine honestly, it's just tight competition in the market I guess even though I thought it was fine I just don't care enough to buy it or play these other hero shooters. I feel you find one game of this style that works for you and stay there, I barely play OW anymore either. So yeah... Cliff should have gone and made a Battle royale, survival game or something like those with the level of polish and effort that has gone into Lawbreakers, they would easily stand out among the jank fest competition then. I'm sure whoever that eventually manages that will hit it big and take most of the audience. It's not hard to beat a game like PUBG at what it's doing. Its ideas are brilliant but the execution still leaves a lot to be desired. You can't compete with Blizzard or even hirez that have firmly established themselves. The game took a very long time to come out too.

Slayven

The game was aimed at people that wanted realistic gritty Overwatch or something like that according to Cliff himself. As it turns out most of the appeal of Overwatch is in its style and characters more than any where else and people that want gritty have Quake Champions to play which is really nice. I played beta for a bit, I think the game was fine honestly, it's just tight competition in the market I guess even though I thought it was fine I just don't care enough to buy it or play these other hero shooters. I feel you find one game of this style that works for you and stay there, I barely play OW anymore either. So yeah... Cliff should have gone and made a Battle royale, survival game or something like those with the level of polish and effort that has gone into Lawbreakers, they would easily stand out among the jank fest competition then. I'm sure whoever that eventually manages that will hit it big and take most of the audience. It's not hard to beat a game like PUBG at what it's doing. Its ideas are brilliant but the execution still leaves a lot to be desired. You can't compete with Blizzard or even hirez that have firmly established themselves. The game took a very long time to come out too.
Isn't he doing Fortnite?

Played it for like 4 matches. Just didn't click. Didn't find it anywhere near as fun as Overwatch. Felt really generic. One of the standout things in Overwatch for me is that characters seem unique like you would expect in a MOBA or something. It almost felt like the TTK in LawBreakers was too quick for it to even matter that it was a hero shooter.

The game has poor regional pricing on Steam so I'm not buying it (and even if I were, I wouldn't be able to convince my friends to get it). Didn't play the beta because I figured there was no point trying a game you're not going to buy anyway. It's a shame because I really do like multiplayer shooters and I'd love to see the arena shooter make a comeback one way or the other.

CliffyB has been pretty abrasive, especially towards PC gamers, but nonetheless I wish him success with this project.

LordofPwn

There was no open beta on PS4. It was all closed beta. Open beta was PC only.

It has a lot of potential but it's missing something and also it's UI needs reworked.

It did make me want to play an arena shooter X rocket league game though. Like fast flying wall riding movement, No classes, fun weapons, grab a ball, bounce it off walls to a teammate to score, bash people's heads in with the ball. Could be an awesome time. So I guess it was good but it made me want to play something better and more focused.

hydruxo

I'd recommend people check out this video about the mobility and momentum in LawBreakers. Skip to 8:40 for where he talks about the individual characters.

The zero grav areas are easily the best part of the game and when you learn how each character differs and uses their abilities to build up momentum, it's insanely fun to zip around the map.

Nydius

Oh it's not F2P, ouch. I thought they had a F2P publisher. Nexon is known for a lot of F2P stuff at least iirc.

You're right about Nexon and, originally, Lawbreakers was supposed to be F2P. But back in March 2016 at GDC, they announced they were switching to budget retail (with possible microtransactions) rather than F2P.

At a GDC panel today, Boss Key Productions announced that LawBreakers would not be free to play as originally announced. Members of the panel, which included CEO Cliff Bleszinski and COO Arjan Brussee, explained that the model no longer made sense with the direction they were taking the game. Bleszinski pointed out that they “didn’t want to go down that road of buying energy, or other sleazy tactics,” though did mention that the game could feature skins or similar cosmetic options. Art Director Tramell Isaac said the free to play model made development become about "How do we get money?" instead of "How do we make a great game?" and that it became a "distraction.”

Source.

I wonder if this will be all for naught and the game ends up going F2P within a year or so anyway. I'm thinking maybe they should have dedicated a small team within the studio to come up with post-launch F2P transition plans, just in case.

Liked the few games I played of it but its a really tough sell in a really competitive genre, especially on PC. Basically if you aren't mainstream or appeal to a very specific niche audience then you're shit out of luck. There's a reason why games like Rising Storm 2 and Day of Infamy still have a place alongside Counter Strike, Rainbow 6, Titanfall, and Overwatch.

In Lawbreakers case they're trying to chase after an audience with a game with good gameplay but character designs that leave much to be desired and aren't really appealing, especially when compared to Overwatch. The very same playerbase would probably rather play OW and Quake Champions anyway if they want their fix.

kodecraft

Cliff should do a single-player character action game for PC and consoles, I think he'd have better luck there.

Action/adventure

This is what I wanted from his new studio. With that said I like Lawbreakers, I've done every alpha/beta and will get the full game.

I played about 10 ten matches during
the open beta on PC. It was somewhat fun but the characters lack soul and the shooting feels a bit off.

Hard to justify paying full price and investing too much time in it when there are much more solid offerings out there.

Hope the online population is not dead within months.

I will copy what I wrote with the open beta:

I'm also playing the open beta, and I can appreciate what is doing differently than other games like Overwatch or Paladins, this is fast and chaotic, it's that 'type' of fun. One class can double jump and dash and has the hook to move super fast!, another can fly literally like a jet, another has triple-jump and walljump and slide. Etc. Now add the low grav area of each map. It's a lot of people flying around and shooting and kicking each other and it makes up for a very crazy experience.
That said while it's hectic, other parts of the game don't accompany as much that core of hectiness. Why there is a 8 second respawn delay for an hectic game like this? It should be 2-3 seconds shorter. The art style is also so-so, and it makes hard to identify other characters classes in this fast paced game. Finally, the game modes are... like, there, but they feel an excuse to kill each other.

I think I prefer the teamplay, variety and pace of Paladins, or if I want something faster, the pureness and focus of Quake Champions.

drotahorror

Game need a much better ui and visual indications.
We got spoiled by Blizzard.

I don't play any blizzard games anymore tbh, but they have always been the kings of showing a player what is happening. You can always recognize what's going on, you're never left questioning 'wtf was that'. Their visual feedback is top notch.

Darg

Neo Member
Man I used to play the hell out of the demo of that game because I didn't have money for Xbox Live as a kid. I don't play any multiplayer shooters right now but would buy this in an instant if they remastered it or made a sequel.

Yup, with some minor changes (including the MP side of the game) i would instantly get a PC remaster of it. Fun as heck especially if you knew the ins and outs of the game.

This news makes me sad. LawBreakers is currently my favorite hero shooter out of the available titles. It hits all the right buttons for me. I preordered the collector's edition off of Limited Run Games and I am really excited for the launch in August.

I don't know if the game will be super successful, but I do think this game will survive and have an audience.

I actually enjoyed the closed and open Betas of Lawbreakers. They were fun and seemed like a good hybrid between arena shooters and hero shooters.
My main concern and the reason I wont be buying it at release is the community. I cant really see it building up a big community now that people are playing OW for the "casual" fun and Quake Champions for a more "arena shooter" feeling. Besides PUBG of course.

You know what tho, if you wanna play a final product game then you shouldnt play unfinished betas. Thats why they have a fucking beta. So the finished product gets better.

CliffyB actually said that.
The problem is that a "beta" nowadays is used as a demo, not a beta.

Lebneney

Banned
I'd recommend people check out this video about the mobility and momentum in LawBreakers. Skip to 8:40 for where he talks about the individual characters.

The zero grav areas are easily the best part of the game and when you learn how each character differs and uses their abilities to build up momentum, it's insanely fun to zip around the map.

FrothyOmen was the reason that I tried this game out. At first I hated it. Uninstalled it and didn't look back. Then I found out how to blindfire and tried it out once more. Was a good deal of fun, but I don't know if it is worth the price of admission. Even though it is a completely different game, Rainbow Six: Siege is $14.99 for a casual starter pack and that is perfect for many people who are into games and don't have all that much time to put into it. I know that the example I posed is far from perfect, but it just goes to show that you could purchase a game that is arguably more fun and has more content then Lawbreakers.

I thought the beta was fun. Unreal/Quake + Overwatch. It's probably not a main-game material, but I'll definitely buy and play it for a few weeks before destiny 2 comes out on PC

Paladins and PUBG (and many other EA games) proved that you don't need heavy marketing campaign to be successful in multiplayer space.

Release a good game, and let the players promote the game for free.

Top Bottom