• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GitHyp: LawBreakers Open Beta Numbers Were Bad, Paladins Doing Great

That's too bad. I enjoyed my time in the closed beta, but not enough to pre-order the game. Also forgot to even play the open beta despite getting multiple emails.

I like the male medic. He had a really cool design and I liked his voice. The female medic not so much.

Played the beta for Lawbreakers and did not care for it. Shooters are such a crowded market on Steam, and some of the best ones are free or close to it. I am actually more interested in Ballistic Overkill right now after seeing some YouTube channels that cover it a lot.

Paladins was very well timed. People who play Overwatch to unlock stuff eventually hit a point where hitting new levels slows down outside of double XP events. Paladins has the per character progression to get new load out cards in between the leveling chest keys. They pretty much ate Gearbox's lunch as far as being an alternative game. Can't say anything about competitive since I have not played it enough to rank up twelve characters, but I can see why it has caught on with other people.

Paladins came out at the right time when people were strongly questioning if Overwatch should be F2P.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I only played the alpha for this, but it was by far the least fun hero shooter I've ever played, and I've played almost all of them (I never played Mirage as the beta was very short and I missed it). It's possible the final beta was better, but it was a pretty short time after the last alpha.

I honestly even think Battleborn was significantly more entertaining despite its notable issues.

Most importantly, for this game's target audience, I feel it pales in comparison to Quake Champions, and that game is both f2p and has a much more notable publisher and brand attached in the space its competing in.

Slayven

The characters had no soul, the fact you just called them by their class is very telling. Like they visually designed them and stopped there

So I only played the alpha for this, but it was by far the least fun hero shooter I've ever played, and I've played almost all of them (I never played Mirage as the beta was very short and I missed it). It's possible the final beta was better, but it was a pretty short time after the last alpha.

I honestly even think Battleborn was significantly more entertaining despite its notable issues.

Most importantly, for this game's target audience, I feel it pales in comparison to Quake Champions, and that game is both f2p and has a much more notable publisher and brand attached.

It was a less fun version of this
250px-Unrealchampionship2.jpg

A game lightyears ahead of it's time

EhoaVash

I liked my time with the beta on PS4 match making was kinda wonky sometimes it didn't work unless I closed the game. But for the most part it worked.

Game is fun, but the character designs are really fugly :/ lol maybe that turned some people off.

Palmer_v1

AFAIK, this is actually the first time I've ever even heard of it, which doesn't seem to bode well for it. Has there been any marketing for it? Certainly word of mouth is not working.

Marcel

Lawbreakers has a bad title, bland artstyle, no positive word of mouth and worst of all it's asking you to open your wallet based on those factors. It's DOA.

Syf

Banned
Seems DOA, for sure. It's never looked appealing to me. I think Quake will take the audience it's going for too.

Blam

It's nice to see the haters finally coming out of the waterworks, seriously wHere was this hate during the beta. I could only see praise to the game.

I realize this doesn't really affect the majority of players, but I can't believe Lawbreakers doesn't even have a mode against bots. Cliffyb's past major games Unreal, Unreal Tournament and the Gears of War series let you play against bots (not to mention Overwatch which arguably is Lawbreaker's #1 competitor). This turns my enthusiasm to an absolute zero.

EL CUCO

Never could get into OW for some reason but I'm day one on LawBreakers. In my 23hrs in on the beta I went from trash to decent. It's one of those games with a decent skill gap that is satisfying to do well on. That said, there's little to no marketing of this game. Nexon sucks and the bomba is practically written on the wall, but for $30 if I can atleast get a month and half out of this I'll be happy.

Free post launch support is a plus too.

I thought it was OK. I was hoping it would be my next go to shooter to transition me from TitanFall 2 and I was completely wrong. I was not a fan of it. That being said, really for $30, I may still get it to play around with it.

It's nice to see the haters finally coming out of the waterworks, seriously were was this hate during the beta. I could only see praise to the game.

They probably played it a bit, uninstalled it and never bothered commenting on it cause it was out of mind?

Kayant

Exactly what I feared. Not surprised about most people here not liking the game it has it's issues but fundamentally it's a very core game with a high skill cap that can turn people off easily. Although this is the kind of game I long for in terms of freedom of movement and pace.

Infinitely better than OW,QC,Paladins in terms of the recent hero shooters I have tired based on the above.

Hoping the core audience is enough to keep this afloat for a while.
Never could get into OW for some reason but I'm day one on LawBreakers. In my 23hrs in on the beta I went from trash to decent. It's one of those games with a decent skill gap that is satisfying to do well on. That said, there's little to no marketing of this game. Nexon sucks and the bomba is practically written on the wall, but for $30 if I can atleast get a month and half out of this I'll be happy.

Free post launch support is a plus too.
Exactly my thoughts.

ClumpSoul

Neo Member
While I liked Lawbreakers I only have time for one competitive FPS game in my life and only one of these games have a Duel mode.

So Quake Champions it is.

The characters had no soul, the fact you just called them by their class is very telling. Like they visually designed them and stopped there

Dude. This is the blueprint for what someone needs to make. Why the fuck has anyone not looked back at this game and made something like it.

Cliff Bleszinski is my favorite developer, so i hope it does well.

I have yet to try LB out though. Looks very similar to Unreal Tournament to me which is a good thing, but it will have a hard time prying me away from Overwatch.

antitrop

Cliff Bleszinski is my favorite developer, so i hope it does well.

I have yet to try LB out though. Looks very similar to Unreal Tournament to me which is a good thing, but it will have a hard time prying me away from Overwatch.

My main problem with LawBreakers is that it wasn't as close to Unreal Tournament as I would have liked. It's close enough to Overwatch that I would rather just keep playing the game I've already been playing for the last year.

Weston

I wasn't crazy about Lawbreakers at first, but man after I got the hang of it, it was an absolute blast. I went back to Quake Champions beta and Paladins after the open beta ended and neither of them scratch the itch Lawbreakers did. I'll be getting it at launch.

Sulik2

Paladins is a really really good game. More people should play it. Its the perfect mix of Overwatch objectives with more moba sensitives on the character builds.

In Cliffy's own words...Overwatch is street fighter....tlaw breakers is Mortal Kombat. Basically one of the more inferior fighting gamesonce you get past the spectacle of it all.

Xyber

I can't put my finger on why, but everything about the aiming just feels off. Like, I have dialed in the sensitivity I use in all shooters but it just doesn't feel good. I have given it a go for a few games, but if the movement and shooting doesn't feel good I'm not gonna continue playing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dude. This is the blueprint for what someone needs to make. Why the fuck has anyone not looked back at this game and made something like it.

hqdefault.jpg

This was awesome. I'm not really into any huge shooter at the moment unless it has a single player campaign attached to it. I would like to play OW at some point in time, but I don't know when with all these SP games.

I do love UT and UC. I loved bots and I loved the creative talent behind the games. I just don't know what to think about LB.

I got on the beta last year and didn't play much. I got to fire my gun and float. I guess I should probably stay quiet, but I tried. I tried getting into this and I guess it's up for anyone else out there to pay $30 and enjoy. Unless I change my mind and some point and drop $30, but from what I see here it probably doesn't matter.

Symbiotx

Dude, YES! It felt so good to move around in that game too. Lawbreakers is so awkward a lot of the time, like there's not even a crouch button, so how TF are you supposed to go down in anti-grav? It's just clunky. I miss UTC2.

Duxxy3

It honestly doesn't interest me. Looks like a lot of flying around. Definitely some cool highlights though.

DarkestHour

Banned
My experience with Lawbreakers was that it was a very boring game with very slow controls and very slow movement. It is going to fail big time.

Dude, YES! It felt so good to move around in that game too. Lawbreakers is so awkward a lot of the time, like there's not even a crouch button, so how TF are you supposed to go down in anti-grav? It's just clunky. I miss UTC2.

Nothing was more satisfying that rejecting a fucking sniper shot with Melee then you get REJECTION on the screen in the MK announcer voice.

There was some issues with Balance and net code in that game but all the weapons felt good and it was extremely fun to play. It defiantly had the moments.

Man I used to play the hell out of the demo of that game because I didn't have money for Xbox Live as a kid. I don't play any multiplayer shooters right now but would buy this in an instant if they remastered it or made a sequel.

I understand that hes trying to do something innovative and different but Lawbreakers just looks more complicated.

Theres a reason COD went back to WW2 and games like BF1. Theyre simple. No jumping around, no wall running, none of that BS, just simple run and gun. I feel like Lawbreakers is trying too hard to be different in a space thats already extremely saturated.

Havent tried it tho.

Top Bottom