• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Given the choice, would you rather play most 3rd person games on a screen or through VR headset?

Given the choice, would you rather play most 3rd person games on a screen or through VR headset?

• Screen

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • VR headset

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A.Romero

There is nothing wrong with playing 3rd person games with VR headset.
I finished Dragons Dogma on PC with my PSVR and it was one of the best VR experiences i had.

Oh shit, really? What kind of mods did you use?

I'm 3/4 into the game on PC and would love to do the rest on VR.

How, and where are your sources?
I'm not going to find sources because it's obvious. A bigger screen with the same perceived resolution as a smaller screen, and in particular one that gives a larger viewing field of view is going to be more immersive. Not to mention, it's VR so you have total control over lighting resulting from the virtual screen.

There's a reason why people love theater screens. There's also a reason why people like widescreen monitors.

You can easily Google sources. It's right there.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'm not going to find sources because it's obvious.
And here I thought we were getting somewhere. Oh well...

But I guess we found another reason why the VR gimmick doesn't do it for me, I'm the type of person who gets more immersed in the content than the medium. A great movie is just as great a movie and every bit as entertaining to watch on a 13" black and white TV as it is on my 70" 4k, and a shitty movie is still a pile of shit on a theater screen. I guess that's the big difference between traditional gaming and VR for me, metaphorically, while others are easily impressed by big colorful screens and whatnot...

But I guess we found another reason why the VR gimmick doesn't do it for me, I'm the type of person who gets more immersed in the content than the medium. A great movie is just as great a movie and every bit as entertaining to watch on a 13" black and white TV as it is on my 70" 4k, and a shitty movie is still a pile of shit on a theater screen. I guess that's the big difference between traditional gaming and VR for me, metaphorically, while others are easily impressed by big colorful screens and whatnot...
I'm not spending time linking sources for the most obvious things. It's common sense.

If immersion isn't your thing, then VR still has many uses in terms of the types of gameplay it opens up. That will always be a strong suit of VR, as the level of interaction and freedom is unparalleled.

sublimit

Banned
It's not a pointless gimmick and certainly doesn't outright make you throw up, as that is a software cause, not a hardware cause.
I have played RE7 on PSVR and Hellblade and Vanishing of Ethan Carter on Occulus and i got dizzy after less than 5 minutes passed with all three so i don't think it;s a software-only problem.

Last edited:
I have played RE7 on PSVR and Hellblade and Vanishing of Ethan Carter on Occulus and i got dizzy after less than 5 minutes passed with all three so i don't think it;s a software-only problem.
It's a software problem because all three of those games move you artificially, but Ethan Carter also has a really weird teleport implementation as an option that could have been fixed. Had you played something like Beat Saber, you would have been fine.

The current health issues relating to hardware that can't always be avoided are eye strain and headaches caused from the vergence accommodation conflict which will be fixed in either the 2nd or 3rd generation of headsets, depending on when they release.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'm not spending time linking sources for the most obvious things. It's common sense.

If immersion isn't your thing, then VR still has many uses in terms of the types of gameplay it opens up. That will always be a strong suit of VR, as the level of interaction and freedom is unparalleled.
Oh I love immersion, just not fake gimmick immersion. I like when the content itself immerses me. And while VR does open up possibilities for gameplay, it also imposes plenty of restrictions. But as usual I'll continue to try new software as it comes out...

A.Romero

I think this is a key point. I'm the opposite, I find some stuff to be more enjoyable with tech devices that enhance the experience (for me) like surround sound or a more life like image.

That said, VR is not everyone's cup of tea, specially right now as the tech still has ways to go... Same as people that don't really care about higher FPS counts, higher resolution, ambient occlusion or stuff like that.

sublimit

Banned
It's a software problem because all three of those games move you artificially, but Ethan Carter also has a really weird teleport implementation as an option that could have been fixed. Had you played something like Beat Saber, you would have been fine.

The current health issues relating to hardware that can't always be avoided are eye strain and headaches caused from the vergence accommodation conflict which will be fixed in either the 2nd or 3rd generation of headsets, depending on when they release.
In any case i don't think the VR in any of those games added anything significant to the gameplay experience so it's definitely not worth the hassle (or its price). Like i said for me it's just another gimmick.

BANGS

Banned
I think this is a key point. I'm the opposite, I find some stuff to be more enjoyable with tech devices that enhance the experience (for me) like surround sound or a more life like image.

That said, VR is not everyone's cup of tea, specially right now as the tech still has ways to go... Same as people that don't really care about higher FPS counts, higher resolution, ambient occlusion or stuff like that.
Yeah it all comes down to what immerses you, and everyone is immersed by different things. For example I love me some frames but I don't give a shit about resolution so long as everything is distinguishable... People like buzzer think we're all immersed by the same things... I've been more immersed in Shenmue on fucking Dreamcast than ANY VR game I've ever played...

In any case i don't think the VR in any of those games added anything significant to the gameplay experience so it's definitely not worth the hassle (or its price). Like i said for me it's just another gimmick.
The gameplay mechanics don't change that much in those games, but the experience definitely changes In Astro Bot, it's both because it was built to include VR-only mechanics.

Yeah it all comes down to what immerses you, and everyone is immersed by different things. For example I love me some frames but I don't give a shit about resolution so long as everything is distinguishable... People like buzzer think we're all immersed by the same things... I've been more immersed in Shenmue on fucking Dreamcast than ANY VR game I've ever played...
VR destroys the ceiling of immersion and lifts it much higher. You can still be more immersed by Battlefield V than you can in a bad VR game. But a good VR game will always be more immersive.

Additionally, VR allows presence which is always going to be unique to VR. This is a huge change in the human condition and goes beyond just immersion.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I love me some Shenmue. When it came out it really changed the way I saw video games (I got it without knowing anything about it).

On topic: VR tech as it is today is just for early adopters and people willing to give some things up in exchange of that particular flavour of immersion. However, I really think that tech will evolve and that it will impact gaming significantly, maybe even more than mobile gaming. We are not there yet.

I'd compare it to the first CD-Rom consoles.

BANGS

Banned
I love me some Shenmue. When it came out it really changed the way I saw video games (I got it without knowing anything about it).

On topic: VR tech as it is today is just for early adopters and people willing to give some things up in exchange of that particular flavour of immersion. However, I really think that tech will evolve and that it will impact gaming significantly, maybe even more than mobile gaming. We are not there yet.

I'd compare it to the first CD-Rom consoles.
That's a good comparison. I'm looking forward to VR evolving into something great, hopefully the market keeps up and it keeps getting better...

Top Bottom