• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gliding is not possible in Zero Dawn on PS4 due to technical reasons. But is possible in Forbidden West, even on PS4 - why?

Zeroing

Banned
Because they improved the engine and how it works on PS4 so they managed to cram it in without the original technical issues. It's been 4 years you know. The engine and content of HZD is not exactly the engine and content of HFW. They didn't say gliding is impossible on PS4 (so you then troll contrast gliding in Switch/WiiU/Wii/PSOne games, lol) so you'll never have any game from any developer regardless of content with such a feature! They said it's impossible with their exact circumstances at the time for their own specific game, engine, content, at the time. It's not that hard guys.
People will miss your post that uses logic and jump straight to console wars…

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wasn't it flying, not gliding?
Would it be because it does this?
ucoln8kedwfglsrlxvm5.gif
Every (at least open world) does this, because otherwise there would be no chance of running it. It's just not normally shown like this. It's a neat tech, don't get me wrong, but I think it's more due to work with different lods, which would be too much probably to do it on time. Hell Just Cause 2 can do it on X360/PS3, it's just a matter of priorities.

Fast speeds? Why would they have to be fast speeds? I just want to fly bro.
I want so many things, but i cant always get what i want. But you sound like a kid...I want it. "But you cant get i right now."
I dont care i want it....while stamping your feat. You not a kid anymore. Lesson for your life, you cant always get what you want. Deal with it.

Interfectum

Either you can be butthurt and just say they lied to us or...

The first iteration of the game engine could not do it but this version can.

Either way, does it matter? Ya'll know even your mother lies or has lied to you many times.

Last edited:

BrentonB

They never said gliding was impossible. They said riding a flying machine was impossible. The PS4 has a slow-ass hard drive and can't load every part of the map at once.

ABnormal

As the title says, why it is possible now, if ps4 can't handle it due to technical reasons it shouldn't be able to handle in this new game.

It's perfectly possible on the first Horizon, too. Why shouldn't? It's extremely slow, so the speed of the needed streaming is more or less the same as for running on feet.

We are not talking of speeding through the game world at high speed. In that case, hdd couldn't keep up, with all those heavy and dense assets.

Faithless83

Banned

As the title says, why it is possible now, if ps4 can't handle it due to technical reasons it shouldn't be able to handle in this new game.

Wasn't it supposed to be flying? I think you got it mixed up.
She is just going from a higher place to the ground at a very slow speed.

Flying I can see the limitation there.

sainraja

Have you ever stop to think maybe their game engine tools at the time were not advanced enough to implement this within the frame budget back in 2017, but now their rendering techniques and their engine tools are advanced enough to squeeze this feature within the frame budget even on PS4?

It doesn't always have to be what is possible with the hardware limits, these developers push the software side of things so that they can eke out every bit of performance out of the same hardware. Remember that Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2 and then finally Uncharted 3 were all on the same fucking console PS3...
I don't think they mentioned it wasn't possible on the PS4. They said it wasn't something they could add due to technical reasons. This could be many things depending on when they wanted to add it. It could be engine related. AI maybe couldn't really track in the air. It could be that the world was made and gliding would break things requiring redesigns. It could be any number of things.
^^ the above

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So if Spiiderman comes to PC (which is very possible now), you think a requirement will be a SSD?.
I think it will 'reccomend' a SSD, but the game will run fine on a HDD. Just like on PS4. :messenger_winking:

Spider-Man is built to run on a standard HDD. It was literally explained in their GDC video. Spider-Man couldn't swing any faster and asset streaming had to be delayed.

Meanwhile, on PS4....

6CG1BQMm.gif
Just because other games have flying mechanics, that doesn't mean the same number of assets are being loaded. If they wanted include flying mechanics, then they wouldn't have an issue including it on the PS4 console.

MMaRsu

Banned
I want so many things, but i cant always get what i want. But you sound like a kid...I want it. "But you cant get i right now."
I dont care i want it....while stamping your feat. You not a kid anymore. Lesson for your life, you cant always get what you want. Deal with it.
I dunno bro, I loved Horizon Zero Dawn but I always wanted to fly those pterodactyl like robots. Just lame they couldnt do that for the sequel. Gliding? Lmao this aint no BoTW

Tomeru

Have you ever stop to think maybe their game engine tools at the time were not advanced enough to implement this within the frame budget back in 2017, but now their rendering techniques and their engine tools are advanced enough to squeeze this feature within the frame budget even on PS4?

It doesn't always have to be what is possible with the hardware limits, these developers push the software side of things so that they can eke out every bit of performance out of the same hardware. Remember that Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2 and then finally Uncharted 3 were all on the same fucking console PS3...
Have you been to neogaf lately?

Ryu: dunno bro, I loved Horizon Zero Dawn but I always wanted to fly those pterodactyl like robots. Just lame they couldnt do that for the sequel. Gliding? Lmao this aint no BoTW

I'am not your "bro". I always wanted a Aston Martin but i know that not gonna happen, so i know and except that i can always have what i want.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Because it was a technical limitation for the first game engine.

It is not anymore for the second game engine because they probably found a technical solution.

Different engines = different limitations.

ethomaz

Banned
Because they improved the engine and how it works on PS4 so they managed to cram it in without the original technical issues. It's been 4 years you know. The engine and content of HZD is not exactly the engine and content of HFW. They didn't say gliding is impossible on PS4 (so you then troll contrast gliding in Switch/WiiU/Wii/PSOne games, lol) so you'll never have any game from any developer regardless of content with such a feature! They said it's impossible with their exact circumstances at the time for their own specific game, engine, content, at the time. It's not that hard guys.
Common sense is hard on GAF these days ;)

ABnormal

Meanwhile, on PS4....

6CG1BQMm.gif
I don't remember tath game's name (the first one came out many years ago, during ps3 era, if I remember correctly). And they always used a procedural engine for landscape and vegetation, to create them on the fly, to reduce the number of assets streamed.
Aside that, it all depends by the detail density you want to achieve. The same density of an area of 100x100 metres, crammed in an area of 10x10 metres, requires an extremely faster streaming, if you want to move around. Or a slower speed of motion during world traversal.
The engine is built around the gameplay.
But in this generation, for the first time, there's no need to compromise detail density for streaming. The only limit is the game size.

kungfuian

It's good to question PR bullshit, because we have way too much of that in the industry, but not everything is some crazy conspiracy.

In the this particular case the whole 'they're lying' angle comes off as very uninformed. There are so many factors that could have prevented them from having a glider work in the first game that aren't related to simple 'graphics' drawing power of the PS4. Could totally have been a non graphical based limitations of the original engine or the scope of work for the project. For example they may have had areas of the game that would break if it was added. Collision detection problems. Etc. Or they may not of had time to make it work and effectively test it.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Is there flying in the sequel? I thought it wasn't possible on the first one due to the CPU. I never heard anything about gliding being impossible though.

If they wanted to add flying to the first one they could have. You could fly in Saints Row 3 on PS3 and 1000 other games. They wanted you to fight your way across the land facing various dinos and encountering various NPCs not just fly to the boss and smack him in the face.

GuinGuin

Banned
LAIR was not buried due to air battles but for poorly implemented air battles. How long will I be hanging out with the trivial Lara Croft gameplay alias HZD. Why Just Cause controlled the airspace without any problems, but GG did not. Is GG just a second-class company without talent and ambition? Yes, that's exactly it !!

HZD played nothing like tomb Raider. It was frantic combat against huge and varied giant robo dinos. You needed to make the most of your arsenal of unique long distance weapons and devious traps.

GuinGuin

Banned
I don't remember tath game's name (the first one came out many years ago, during ps3 era, if I remember correctly). And they always used a procedural engine for landscape and vegetation, to create them on the fly, to reduce the number of assets streamed.
Aside that, it all depends by the detail density you want to achieve. The same density of an area of 100x100 metres, crammed in an area of 10x10 metres, requires an extremely faster streaming, if you want to move around. Or a slower speed of motion during world traversal.
The engine is built around the gameplay.
But in this generation, for the first time, there's no need to compromise detail density for streaming. The only limit is the game size.

Just Cause isn't procedural. It has maps full of giant bases to take over or destroy. You can also fly a jet fighter. Literally 1000s of old games have flying in them. If they wanted to do that they absolutely could but that would ruin the journey she was on.

pratyush

Gliding is only being used to go downhill in HFW. It's not like Breath of Wilds that you can use to fly around.

Also there is something called optimization. I know it's difficult to grasp it but engineers find ways to make stuff possible on same constraint daily. That's why they get paid

I can glide around in Breath of the Wild on the Wii U and yet Guerilla Games expects me to believe that it's not possible on a PlayStation 4. Wake up and smell the Folgers... You got bamboozled.

P.S. We know this is bullshit anyways because of the zip lining mechanic in Death Stranding. Sony lied to you, please be in shock.

Last edited:

sendit

Haven't you heard? Tools/game engines don't ever improve on the Playstation platform.

Sony devs just dont want to say that they design there games with graphics and story in mind and nothing game play mobility is the 1st thing thrown out the window extra long cutscense of people staring into the distance every 5 mins you bet.

fly on the ps4

flying on the switch

ABnormal

Just Cause isn't procedural. It has maps full of giant bases to take over or destroy. You can also fly a jet fighter. Literally 1000s of old games have flying in them. If they wanted to do that they absolutely could but that would ruin the journey she was on.
I don't know how is done in last gen. But the first one primary characteristic was the dimension and seamless movement thanks to its procedural landscape. And, as I have written, the procedural part is the landscape. The buildings and the characters, which are hand made, are obviuosly streamed assets. But not the world, which was created on the fly with just some parameters to generate it with the needed geography. At that time, there have been many interviews about that.

ABnormal

Just the first results:

"Memory efficiency. The original Just Cause was released on PlayStation 2, so we knew that we had to have a very tight memory representation to make a world of that size fit. Data compression and procedural techniques would be required.

High performance. There are a lot of things to render in an open world game so the terrain system cannot consume much of the available processing power. We knew that static vertex buffers would have to be used to achieve this, which ruled out some terrain rendering techniques.

High visual fidelity. Meant high resolution, no level-of-detail popping," large draw distance, etc. Again, especially considering the other two goals, procedural techniques would be crucial to accomplish this."

Under that (on Gamasutra) there's also a good explanation of the technology used.

JaksGhost

What may not have been possible 4-6 years ago when HZD went into initial development may be possible now due to other tools that could've been developed since then. Also they talked about flying mounts and not gliding. People are conflating two different mechanics.

geary

World of Warcraft had flying mounts in huge open world in 2006, but in 2017 you cannot have it on PS4...Legit.

Arun1910

Probably an asset streaming issue, only thing I can think of. They just can't render what they have efficiently on PS4 with a Glide mechanic that can cause you to travel distances pretty fast.

This would definitely be possible on a last gen game... if the game was made for last gen.

I think the thing here is that the game is heavily leaning on PS5 tech for asset streaming/loading that it just makes it harder to pull off something like gliding on last gen consoles.

Reactions: Rea
Top Bottom