• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glixel: A new gaming site from Rolling Stone and John Davison

From the New York Times:

“Gaming just felt like an area where there was a great audience opportunity, a great revenue opportunity and a major void that we could fill with capabilities we had in-house,” said Mr. Wenner, who is the head of digital for Wenner Media.

Starting a stand-alone site from scratch is certainly not easy, and, perhaps unsurprisingly, Glixel will lean on its more established brethren for support, at least in the beginning. Mr. Wenner said there were plans to cross-promote Glixel, and Glixel pieces will appear on Rolling Stone’s online culture channel. Writers from Rolling Stone will contribute articles to Glixel.

But Mr. Wenner seemed confident that Glixel would succeed on its own. He said he saw Glixel as a “staple within our set of properties.” Glixel, he promised, would not be a “frivolous one-off that might not exist in two years.”

To that end, John Davison, who has been in the gaming business for over 20 years, has been brought on to oversee Glixel’s content.

Mr. Davison said he wanted to position Glixel as a “video game culture destination,” with a focus on the gamers themselves.

“We want to make it very much about the people — not just the people that make games, but the people that play them,” Mr. Davison said.

The site, when it goes live, will feature articles, interviews, reviews and, of course, videos. Mr. Davison, who published his first article about video games when he was 14, said he was particularly interested in articles “where even if you’re not completely into it, when you read these stories, you think, ‘Jeez, that sounds awesome.’”

As for whether there will be more stand-alone sites from Wenner Media, Mr. Wenner did not rule out the possibility.

“It’s a strategy I’m very interested in, and I think we will continue to explore it,” he said. But right now, he said, he was focusing on developing Glixel and the company’s other existing sites.

“It takes a lot to build a brand,” he said. “So we’re not taking that lightly.”

Could be neat! If anything I'm real excited to see John Davison back on the media side

Edit: Newsletter sign up and fancy webpage at Glixel.com

yami4ct

I'm glad to see John back in it. Given they've got some good backing, hopefully they can be completive. Interested to hear who he gets on board.

Name is awful, though.

whoops, thanks, added it.

I'm glad to see John back in it. Given they've got some good backing, hopefully they can be completive. Interested to hear who he gets on board.

Name is awful, though.

The dream would be that John convinces some old 1UP people to get back into it
garnett

Everything they've said sounds like what Polygon made itself out to be prior to launch. Another take on things is always welcome though.

yeah i kinda got that too. i trust john davison a lot though. he did really cool stuff with 1up and gamespot. he was pretty much the main reason giant bomb went to cbs too. guy's got a long history.

Coreda

Everything they've said sounds like what Polygon made itself out to be prior to launch. Another take on things is always welcome though.

soultron

Banned
Into it for Davison but the name is terrible, in my opinion. Really hope they can do longform features and human interest angle style stories.

yami4ct

The dream would be that John convinces some old 1UP people to get back into it
garnett

As much as I'd love guys like Garnett and Jeff Green back, they seem pretty happy where they are right now. Pretty much all the key talent from the 1-Up days have seemed to have really landed on their feet, thankfully.

Zia

His run on GamePro was probably the best mainstream American video game magazine outside of Games for Windows Magazine. Excited to see what he does here.

Can't wait for Jon's PC build guides!

Seriously though, I'm excited for the Jon Davison part, but not so much for the rolling stone portion; their editorial direction is such fucking shit sometimes.

His run on GamePro was probably the best mainstream American video game magazine outside of Games for Windows Magazine. Excited to see what he does here.

that medal of honor cover story was infinitely better than the game ended up being!

Slime

Banned
Time to poach Garnett Lee from Amazon and get that podcast up and running!

In all seriousness though, really interested to see how this turns out.

In other words the only thing Polygon has ever done well. When they were very focused on their long-form journalism they had a lot of great content. Their features were some of the best articles out there, but they started to consider them too costly and time consuming and now focus on click-baity articles about popular TV shows and posting news a day after everyone else.

As much as I love John Davison for a) his part in the 1UP empire, b) running the What They Play podcast for a few years, and c) engineering the return of the Giant Bomb crew to CBSi and financial stability, I'm still a bit worried that he's going to start up this Glixel thing, it'll be decent, and then he'll leave a few years later and the whole thing will fall apart. Gamepro and What They Play both fell into that category (though the two IGN editors that took over What They Play after John sold the site made a decent go of it for a while).

Good luck to everyone involved, though. If it really isn't another flash-in-the-pan venture, we could always use another decent outlet for game writing.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Excited by this. Some good people. also, like the idea they won't pull the plug out of the gate. ha

IvanJ

Banned
I will give them a chance and a follow on twitter.
Hopefully they can bring in something interesting to the table.

They deserve a chance in thus competitive world where several outlets got shut down recently.

I love John and have since 1UP but I don't think this is a particularly good idea. If there's anything that's been proven dollars-and-cents wise in the past few years it's that longform approaches don't make money in the games space. Unlike rock and roll (which the article compares to video games) most people that play video games don't care about the creators. And they certainly don't care about the fans/players.

While I wish them all the luck in the world, making money on the web in the video games space anymore seems like a fools errand unless you're a 2-3 man lean and mean operation.

But I hope I'm wrong!

John Davison...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long long time.

Congrats Davison, hoping this new venture turns out to be good.

Top Bottom