• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global Game Awards winners for 2015 announced

"NOTE: KEEP IN MIND THESE AWARDS ALWAYS HAVE MORE FOCUS ON PC THAN CONSOLES, THOUGH THEY DO INCLUDE CONSOLES."

it's literally glaring red, very first sentence at the very top of the OP

also NX isn't confirmed for next year

Understandable, though, I don't dislike mobile games - but if those are included - the best handheld games need to be, as well.

As fantastic as Laura Croft GO or Fallout Shelter may be, they are no competition to Monster Hunter 4 (seriously, an amazing experience regardless of being on 3DS or not), Majoras Mask or a handheld Xenoblade Chronicles.

I understand mobile games on a phone, might be in nearly everyone's pockets, but that doesn't make them better. I say this as someone who does enjoy gaming I my 6+.

Fat4all

Banned
I think bloodborne should be higher but whatevs. I also think bloodborne sound design and soundtrack is underrated. They don't have a doing track list tho? Or is that counted under best audio?

I'm assuming best audio is a coverall for sound design and production in general.

Some questionable decisions made with this list, like no Star Wars Battlefront in best audio, Fallout Shelter as best mobile game, Paradox Interactive above CD Projekt RED as best developer, uPlay in the top 5 digital distribution platforms, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 being in the most anticipated, despite releasing this year, the GTX 970 not being the best GPU, GTA: Online winning best multiplayer, and all of those games beating out Bloodborne as the best action game.

Overall a great list though. Love seeing Layers of Fear in there.

I need a new headset. The A50 wireless is sexy but 400 bucks. Maybe I should look into those Kingston ones.
Don't get an Astro A50. I've had mine since around the time they originally released, and have gone through two pairs I think, and their support is absolute crap.

It's also extremely odd that they keep supporting the A40 series, and treat the A50s like they don't exist.

Oh wow, I just noticed This War of Mine in the mobile category. I imagine the controls would transfer well. Good for them; the PC version is also great.
OK then. I'm curious what your personal opinion on dragon age: Inquisition is?

I mention dai because it's layout is similar (interconnected lands making up one "world"). The combat imo is better in dai. The lore is also more interesting to me. There also didn't seem to be any sacrifices made either in the latest outing. It just works.

It also has a character creator, which helps when talking about a role playing game because you are building a character from scratch.

Not saying dai deserved to be up there tho... I'm just curious what you think (if you played it even).

DAI's open world is just sorta... there. It doesn't really do anything; all of the important stuff is cordoned off from the open world. The open world zones themselves are static and unchanging--an excuse to accumulate Power and nothing more. Worst of all, the "quests" (or really, errands) are the briefest excuses to explore, lacking in dialog and purpose.

Witcher 3 meanwhile has a huge, open, connected world with inhabitants that are alive. NPCs have schedules, places change, and Geralt's actions are remembered. In TW3, the line between main quest and side quest are blurred--both filled to the brim with dialog, unique cutscenes, and of course, consequences. There are whole, involved, quest chains that are optional, and not just fluff either--it can be some really engaging stuff.

That said... didn't DAI release last year? I'm pretty sure it did. The GotY awards it won burned my soul.

DAI's open world is just sorta... there. It doesn't really do anything; all of the important stuff is cordoned off from the open world. The open world zones themselves are static and unchanging--an excuse to accumulate Power and nothing more. Worst of all, the "quests" (or really, errands) are the briefest excuses to explore, lacking in dialog and purpose.

Witcher 3 meanwhile has a huge, open, connected world with inhabitants that are alive. NPCs have schedules, places change, and Geralt's actions are remembered. In TW3, the line between main quest and side quest are blurred--both filled to the brim with dialog, unique cutscenes, and of course, consequences. There are whole, involved, quest chains that are optional, and not just fluff either--it can be some really engaging stuff.

That said... didn't DAI release last year? I'm pretty sure it did. The GotY awards it won burned my soul.
Yeah, DA: I was last year's EA disappointment.

Saw that someone said DA: I had better combat than something else, and had to find out what that something else was. lol

Sitris

Some questionable decisions made with this list, like no Star Wars Battlefront in best audio, Fallout Shelter as best mobile game, Paradox Interactive above CD Projekt RED as best developer, uPlay in the top 5 digital distribution platforms, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 being in the most anticipated, despite releasing this year, the GTX 970 not being the best GPU, GTA: Online winning best multiplayer, and all of those games beating out Bloodborne as the best action game.

Overall a great list though. Love seeing Layers of Fear in there.

Don't get an Astro A50. I've had mine since around the time they originally released, and have gone through two pairs I think, and their support is absolute crap.

It's also extremely odd that they keep supporting the A40 series, and treat the A50s like they don't exist.

Tomb raider is anticipated because it is a great game, that will be coming to the PC some time in 2016.

I'm also not sure where you got the CD Project Red bit from, they are the best developer of the year as far as I could tell...

The thing is with this list, games like Halo 5 get placed below a game like Battlefield Hardline as it seems that it is aimed (as OP points out) towards PC releases. This is also shown by the anticipation of a PC release of Tomb Raider.

Seems like a good list, glad to see Rocket League and Until Dawn get some awards as well, very good games!

I need to play Fallout shelter and Undertale though, keep hearing that they are fun and interesting games.

It's strange when the awards choose to be pc centric or not. I'd almost rather them limit themselves to pc if that is their thing.

Denton

What a great list. Witcher 3 and Life is strange deserve everything they get. Just wish Dying Light was higher, but it still won some at least.

Absolute shitty list IMO. Life is Strange over Bloodborne? Lol.

I guess it is PC centric but really?

Gameplay does not count as witnessed by the games at the top.
You've been in like every game awards thread preaching the word of BloodBorne, just chill out man, other people might prefer different things than you.

Ullus

Absolute shitty list IMO. Life is Strange over Bloodborne? Lol.

I guess it is PC centric but really?

Gameplay does not count as witnessed by the games at the top.
See, i dont think bloodborne should be anywhere near a top 10 list, but I can see why people like it so I'm not gonna shit on someone's else list just because I disagree.

Tomb raider is anticipated because it is a great game, that will be coming to the PC some time in 2016.

I'm also not sure where you got the CD Project Red bit from, they are the best developer of the year as far as I could tell...

The thing is with this list, games like Halo 5 get placed below a game like Battlefield Hardline as it seems that it is aimed (as OP points out) towards PC releases. This is also shown by the anticipation of a PC release of Tomb Raider.

Seems like a good list, glad to see Rocket League and Until Dawn get some awards as well, very good games!

I need to play Fallout shelter and Undertale though, keep hearing that they are fun and interesting games.
As much as I understood the list being centered around PC games, I expected them to acknowledge that Tomb Raider was already out. It really felt like the list was made before the game came out, or they didn't bother playing it, because Tomb Raider isn't listed anywhere else on the list besides "Most Anticipated". Also, knocking the list for being about the year 2015, and including a bunch of 2015 releases in "Most Anticipated". Just Cause 3 could easily earn a spot in a couple of these categories if they were just willing to wait a few days for it to release.

And I didn't realize that bit was about publishers, which I guess makes a bit more sense. CD Projekt lost to Paradox as a publisher. Not entirely sure what else Paradox published this year besides Cities: Skylines. Just thought The Witcher 3's release and patches were handled extremely well this year. Thought that would earn the publisher the number one spot as well.

By the way, Fallout Shelter is literally one of those time management games were you open the game up, tap some things, then close it until everything's off cooldown, with microtransactions as well. Definitely not sure how that earned a top spot on the list. Kind of embarrassing for the mobile games category.

See, i dont think bloodborne should be anywhere near a top 10 list, but I can see why people like it so I'm not gonna shit on someone's else list just because I disagree.
But can you see why people like Life is Strange? Because personally, as someone who bought and played it, I can't.

Hey my monitor got second...

I hate "OTY" lists that are done before the year is even over. >_> Even more so when something that's been out a week or two gets nominated and wins. Not that it matters since these things are nothing more than marketing tools.

Nintendo got recked, and deservingly so. Arguably one of their worst years ever content wise, outside of Mario Maker and Splatoon. 4th place publisher is way too high.

I feel like Gone Home should've quelled all of the "it's not a game" cries years ago. Y'know, the Gone Home Effect.

The thing is, the "interaction" plays a key role in how these games are experienced; the gameplay is not traditional, but it is very much there. Even for the most linear adventure games, just watching a video just wouldn't be the same. And it is the act of playing these games that makes them so powerful. (Brothers would be a great example of this.)

Ullus

But can you see why people like Life is Strange? Because personally, as someone who bought and played it, I can't.
Yes, I also bought and played it but stopped after episode 3. I just found myself not giving a shit about any of the characters, no one was likeable so I just dropped it. But I can see why people enjoyed it, it just wasn't for me at all.

I thought FO4 would basically sweep GotY awards, so i'm surprised that right now TW3 has more than any other game (followed by MGSV). FO4 only has one right now. Although I guess that could change once some of the bigger sites start announcing their picks.

I don't get the salt over The Witcher 3 being on top. It's a brilliant game, and it's going to win many more awards. No point being mad.

Denton

Life is strange - I love it for its melancholic atmosphere, its characters and good, if somewhat cheesy, writing, for its twists and turns, and for its ending which hit me like a train. Witcher 3, Soma and LiS ate the only games this year that actually managed to make me care and feel some hardcore emotions.

Fat4all

Banned
i was super psyched to try it due to the excitement surrounding it but man i found it basically insufferable.

There's certainly a cringe-factor you have to work past before you can start properly enjoying LiS. You have to play by it's hipster rules and work yourself into it's mindset.

After that I really enjoyed it!

Well, up til the finale, which was the only 'meh' moment for me through the series.

Sitris

As much as I understood the list being centered around PC games, I expected them to acknowledge that Tomb Raider was already out. It really felt like the list was made before the game came out, or they didn't bother playing it, because Tomb Raider isn't listed anywhere else on the list besides "Most Anticipated". Also, knocking the list for being about the year 2015, and including a bunch of 2015 releases in "Most Anticipated". Just Cause 3 could easily earn a spot in a couple of these categories if they were just willing to wait a few days for it to release.

And I didn't realize that bit was about publishers, which I guess makes a bit more sense. CD Projekt lost to Paradox as a publisher. Not entirely sure what else Paradox published this year besides Cities: Skylines. Just thought The Witcher 3's release and patches were handled extremely well this year. Thought that would earn the publisher the number one spot as well.

By the way, Fallout Shelter is literally one of those time management games were you open the game up, tap some things, then close it until everything's off cooldown, with microtransactions as well. Definitely not sure how that earned a top spot on the list. Kind of embarrassing for the mobile games category.

Yeah I would agree with your points here, a best of list for me needs to include the entire years roster of games. Just Cause 3 could be the best game of the year (you never know!) and as such is jibbed because of the early list. I also agree, CD Project killed it this year on terms of publishing and developing. They nailed all aspects of game release, so they probably should be number 1. But that's the best thing about lists, everyone's is different!
Stay as spoiler-free as possible before playing Undertale. Best way to go in.
I know a little from a video I watched a month or so ago, so I have a little idea of what it is. But I shall pick it up and just play it! Sounds like that is the best way to experience it.

Haven't read through enough of the thread yet, but people are upset about The Witcher 3 winning? Why?

There's certainly a cringe-factor you have to work past before you can start properly enjoying LiS. You have to play by it's hipster rules and work yourself into it's mindset.

After that I really enjoyed it!

Well, up til the finale, which was the only 'meh' moment for me through the series.
This post isn't all that encouraging for someone who played episode 1 at release and never found a reason to go back.

Yeah I would agree with your points here, a best of list for me needs to include the entire years roster of games. Just Cause 3 could be the best game of the year (you never know!) and as such is jibbed because of the early list. I also agree, CD Project killed it this year on terms of publishing and developing. They nailed all aspects of game release, so they probably should be number 1. But that's the best thing about lists, everyone's is different!
I guess you're right on opinions and lists and all that, but thinking back, isn't Paradox well known for including just massive lists worth of DLC for their games? Wasn't there a thread earlier in the year centered around an interview between like Angry Joe and a Paradox employee about how they never fixed one of their major releases or something, or am I completely mixed up on this?

I really feel like Paradox is only on the list for Cities: Skylines, and at the same time, I'm pretty sure Cities: Skylines could practically be labelled as an indie game with how few people worked on it.

Gator86

It proved that despite what Bethesda and the massive audience they have might believe, a massive open world game can have great graphics, great voice acting, great story, and great non-fetch quests.

giphy.gif

Witcher 3 is a technical masterpiece and hits some of the highest bars in the industry in terms of writing, dialogue, world-building, etc. People flip out because it drops to mid 20s FPS in a few select parts of a hundred hour game and all non-souls combat is bad combat. All of its features and systems woven together make the best of the game by far.

Fat4all

Banned
This post isn't all that encouraging for someone who played episode 1 at release and never found a reason to go back.

Some people will just never learn to appreciate Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

also

Haven't read through enough of the thread yet, but people are upset about The Witcher 3 winning? Why?

People don't seem to be complaining as much about W3 winning GOTY, I see more complaining about it winning "Most Innovative Game" of 2015.

(not counting steam controller, obvs.)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I dislike how a game sweeps GOTY awards just because it has a large scale open world. Never mind that the actual moment-to-moment gameplay was decisively mediocre in terms of The Witcher III.

Scale over substance. What a boring trudge of a game.

Staf

Well my top three are Witcher 3, Rocket league and Life is strange (though haven't figured out the order yet) so i'm happy with this list.

cheezcake

I dislike how a game sweeps GOTY awards just because it has a large scale open world. Never mind that the actual moment-to-moment gameplay was decisively mediocre in terms of The Witcher III.

Have you considered the outlandish possibility that not all people agree with you?

I don't get it either. It's the best game of this generation, in my opinion. I've never been so immersed in a game. Put three weeks straight into it, and came out on the other end with the most amazing gaming experience of my life. It saddens me people around here don't appreciate it enough. That's alright though. It's probably going to win a whole bunch of GOTY awards anyway.

Game4life

Banned

No one is shitting. I can surely disagree with this list cant I?

Yup but that has always been the trend. Skyrim and Fallout 3 had mediocre gameplay and won a ton of awards too.

Have you considered the outlandish possibility that not all people agree with you?

Have you considered the outlandish possiblity that not all people agree with you and therefore can disagree with the choices in this list or are we all supposed to only say - ' Great choices' and Well Done!

It's ok. Life is Strange can stand by its own merits without trying to cut down the competition.

A silver medal is still a win in my book.

Dragon Age: Inquisition made it to number 4 on our best of 2014 list, and it had MMO combat, without the world scale, story, or quests of The Witcher 3.

Really, the only thing it's lacking is decent combat, but it's definitely workable.

I mean, did you play The Witcher 3? Were you skipping through all the cutscenes and dialogue?

I just can't see how someone can view The Witcher 3 as "just a large scale open world".

Yup but that has always been the trend. Skyrim and Fallout 3 had mediocre gameplay and won a ton of awards too.
Okay, let's not get ahead of ourselves and compare The Witcher 3 to a Bethesda game.

The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 both fulfilled different aspects of what I wanted from games this year. They both had their faults, but like people said before, The Witcher 3 called out Bethesda to step up their game, and we know they're not going to.

Denton

Keep fucking that chicken!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

It's not the popular opinion, but I really enjoy the combat in Witcher 3 and find it thoroughly engaging and rewarding. The controls could be better sure, but it's still a damn fine game.

Ascenion

Witcher 3 winning GOTY is fantastic, but best open world over GTA V.....I can't agree with that, the rest is pretty solid though.

The Witcher 3 is the antithesis of Skyrim. Yes it's probably the best open world ever made, but it is impressive in so many other ways as well, which makes comparing it to a Bethesda game quite laughable. Boiling it down to that one aspect is incredibly disingenuous.

Also, how is The Taken King not the best expansion?

Is this your first awards thread in NeoGAF?

Those threads are always full with salt.
Don't pay attention to it
Definitely not. I might have been the reason the last major one was closed and reopened with a new set of rules.

I just kind of thought that GAF loved The Witcher 3.

Top Bottom