• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GMA:Donald Trump Advisers Divided Over Sec of State Pick[Romney, Giuliani, Petraeus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

There are voices in the Trump circle suggesting he look at other candidates, such as retired Gen. David Petraeus, who said Wednesday he would be open to a job in the Trump administration. Petraeus is highly regarded by leaders in both parties on Capitol Hill, but his 2015 guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of mishandling classified information could complicate an appointment.

Gingrich and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee have been outspoken advocates for Giuliani and are Romney skeptics.

“I think there are huge advantages to Rudy Giuliani. Frankly, I think that if you want someone who is going to go out and be a very tough negotiator for America and represent American interest in the way that Trump campaigned, I think that probably Rudy is a better pick and has the right temperament,” Gingrich told reporters at Trump Tower in New York City earlier this week.

“What’s really going to drive the president-elect is the judgment and decision-making strength that he looks at with potential applicants to any position, whether it’s this or any other Cabinet-level-type position,” he said. “I think they’ll be looking for things like chemistry, experience, a similar vision in what the president-elect and vice-president-elect are trying to do with this administration, and ultimately whoever the president-elect does pick will be somebody of absolute top caliber.”

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/donald-tr...tate-pick-013000230--abc-news-topstories.html

My guess is that's going to be Rudy Giuliani because if Trump wants anything, it's people who show loyalty and being easily controlled. That's Giuliani.

Apt101

Giuliani and Romney both seem like very poor choices, Giuliani being worse. Petraeus sounds at least competent.

The only thing this guy should be in the running for is Senior Fox News contributor.

SoS? Kill me.

Isn't Petraeus also really dodgy.

In January 2015, officials reported the FBI and Justice Department prosecutors had recommended bringing felony charges against Petraeus for allegedly providing classified information to his biographer, Paula Broadwell (with whom he was having an affair), while serving as the director of the CIA

Where are the "Lock Him Up!" chants from the #Emails brigade?

Kusagari

Rudy seems like he would have real problems getting confirmed.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up picking Petraeus.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
The fact that a guy who actually leaked classified info might be trumps pick for secretary of state is unreal. Straight out of the Onion. I mean Holy shit the hypocrisy.

neogaf.gif

I get what they both are saying. In theory with no baggage, Petraeus would be great. But after his scandal that would put nearly everyone else in prison (telling his mistress classified info, having a mistress in the first place which is ILLEGAL in the military), how do you swear that person in?

How could you run the campaign on "Lock Her Up" for Clinton's emails, and then turn around and nominate Petraeus? The cognitive dissonance would even be too much for the maelstrom of contradiction that is the Trump presidency.

SilentRob

"In a surprising announcement Trump picked Julian Assange as Secretary of State this Friday. Commenting on the decision, President-elect Trump said he chose Assange "because he's a tremendous guy and I kinda love to just do whatever, I dunno, I'm the President, shut up."

Zeeman

The rare situation where Mittens is the best choice. Like, I'm convinced that Trump's team keeps leaking insane possibilities so people don't react as badly to his actual shitty choices.

Mii

Banned
Please chooses Petraeus.

Combo of least damage to the country and greatest damage to the perception of the administration.

At the very least please don't choose Giluiani.

gaugebozo

How could you run the campaign on "Lock Her Up" for Clinton's emails, and then turn around and nominate Petraeus? The cognitive dissonance would even be too much for the maelstrom of contradiction that is the Trump presidency.
Well, he also ran a campaign on "drain the swamp" and "build the wall". His supporters don't care what he does, they trust HIM and the message he delivered.

I told my mom multiple times that he was just telling them what they want to hear, and she said, "Great!"

every Trump appointment is a business transaction to benefit himself,

Niki Halley being of Indian descent was to smooth things over with a Trump hotel in India

Drakeon

Romney would be the best pick here.

For most it'd be a no brainer yet here they are debating it.

I'd have been fine with Petraeus (as I'm sure most everyone would have been) had he, y'know, not done explicitly worse than what Hillary did. What he did was knowingly leak classified intel as CIA director.

That should automatically disqualify him.

Giuliani seems like a terrible choice as well, but not straight up instantly disqualified.

Romney is the only sane choice of those 3, so I'm sure he'll pick Giuliani or Petraeus.

That day where Romney doesn't sound so bad... I'd say pick him. At least he has a decent reputation and not everyone will laugh in your face about it.

Xe4

Banned
Please pick Romney. I just can't if they choose Guliani or Patreus.

Just FYI, they are the biggest fucking hippocrits ever if they pick Patreus, who actually broke the law with regards to mishandling classified info.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh, please pick Petraeus. Let the hypocrisy reign down.

Putzweg

Rudy Giuliani is 72 years old. Can he even manage flying around the world 150 days per year? SoS seems like an extremely stressful and heavy job.

MrMephistoX

Didn't vote for Romney but I think he would at least send a much more moderate tone to our allies overseas. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't go batshit crazy...ier and make Guliani AG. Although with the things Romney said during the campaign I think it would be kind of hilarious if Trump just brought him in for interviews out of spite to kiss the ring and then yank it back.

Mii

Banned
Rudy Giuliani is 72 years old. Can he even manage flying around the world 150 days per year? SoS seems like an extremely stressful and heavy job.

There is talk already that there may be a change of perception of the role of the SoS in the new administration. It may be seen more as an in-person advisor to the president and frequent travel will be discouraged. They're calling it the Kissinger approach already.

Hazmat

Picking Patreus seems designed to piss me off after all his talk about Clinton being ineligible for the Presidency for mishandling information.

I now live in a world where I'm rooting for Romney to be Secretary of State. Yikes.

Please chooses Petraeus.

Combo of least damage to the country and greatest damage to the perception of the administration.

At the very least please don't choose Giluiani.
My exact thinking.

Petreus is competent so I feel he could manage this position well enough, and it underlines the grotesque hypocrisy of his campaign at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom