• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GMA:Donald Trump Advisers Divided Over Sec of State Pick[Romney, Giuliani, Petraeus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk, according to an article I read on WaPo he views himself as a fierce "patriot" and people expect if push comes to shove he'd put country above himself.

I wouldn't shock me though if he did what they asked then they turned around and nom'd Giuliani anyways, just to stick him.

The problem is if Trump does that then he creates 2 problems for himself:

1) Mitt Romney is well liked among moderate and business type conservatives. Those people will not be happy that President Trump showed no respect for moderates. Both my parents would be the perfect examples of moderate conservatives who would be PISSED if Trump stabbed Romney in the back. That combined with Hillary not being the nominee in 2020 will heavily increase their chances of voting for the Democratic nominee in 2020.

2) This would be the second moderate that Trump betrays (Christie would be the first), which would mean that people like Kasich, Baker, and Sandoval will know that there is no point in trying to appeal to Trump and will just run their campaigns as conservatives standing up to Trump, which will further undermine any Unity the GOP still has.

JohnsonUT

idk, according to an article I read on WaPo he views himself as a fierce "patriot" and people expect if push comes to shove he'd put country above himself.

I wouldn't shock me though if he did what they asked then they turned around and nom'd Giuliani anyways, just to stick him.

Definitely what I expect to happen.

1) Mitt Romney is well liked among moderate and business type conservatives. Those people will not be happy that President Trump showed no respect for moderates. Both my parents would be the perfect examples of moderate conservatives who would be PISSED if Trump stabbed Romney in the back. That combined with Hillary not being the nominee in 2020 will heavily increase their chances of voting for the Democratic nominee in 2020.

2) This would be the second moderate that Trump betrays (Christie would be the first), which would mean that people like Kasich, Baker, and Sandoval will know that there is no point in trying to appeal to Trump and will just run their campaigns as conservatives standing up to Trump, which will further undermine any Unity the GOP still has.

This is assuming that Trump cares about potential problems. The guy loves lashing out at perceived slights without thinking about how it looks. It's one of his "endearing" traits among his supporters.

Ac30

I'd admire Romney for taking up SoS after the humiliation for the good of the country but yes, I'd expect Trump to publicly humiliate him and give him the boot. Let's hope that everyone in this joke of an administration spend the next 4 years trying to back-stab each other, so that America never makes this fucking mistake again and the rest of us don't have to worry about Trump.

I just realized, if the Repubs are forced to dump him after a massive string of fuck-ups, his loony followers will just try and vote him and split the vote. He probably won't have that many left at that point but hopefully enough to get a Democrat elected to once again clean up the mess (ugh)

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I fully expect that if Romney apologizes, Trump will highlight that and then give the job to Giuliani just to twist the knife a bit.

Vena

I'd admire Romney for taking up SoS after the humiliation for the good of the country but yes, I'd expect Trump to publicly humiliate him and give him the boot. Let's hope that everyone in this joke of an administration spend the next 4 years trying to back-stab each other, so that America never makes this fucking mistake again and the rest of us don't have to worry about Trump.

I just realized, if the Repubs are forced to dump him after a massive string of fuck-ups, his loony followers will just try and vote him and split the vote. He probably won't have that many left at that point but hopefully enough to get a Democrat elected to once again clean up the mess (ugh)

I am unsure how much it would help to actually spur Romney on a greater scale (but I also don't think Trump cares on such levels at all but it would certainly undermine McConnel's attempts), on the flip though Romney's actual... sanity and fierce patriotism... would probably be at odds with many of the other cabinet picks and lead to a lot of infighting. If he spurs all of the moderate or moderate-left Republicans, he'll basically alienate the seats in the Senate that are already dubious of his presidency and play the Senate right into Schumer's hands to obstruct for four years and avoid the Nuclear Option entirely.

In effect, none of the policies Trump wants would ever get ratified... heck, many of the appointments wouldn't get ratified either.

The entire administration and government could/would be inept and in total disarray for four years.

Blader

If shitting on Romney and moderate Republicans mattered, Trump wouldn't be president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom