• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lifejumper said:
I believe you can only unlock 1 costume without all the pre-order stuff.

Which totally sucks btw.

http://forums.godofwar.com/t5/God-o...lopers-on-Forums-Right-Here/td-p/30061/page/5

There you have it. And yeah, 1 unlockable costume is pretty goddamn stingy compared to what we're used to. That said, I'm a big enough fan that I will probably buy DLC costumes if they are released in the future without complaining much. None of the pre-order skins are that appealing to me, though, so I hope they come out with some new stuff.

Animator

RustyNails said:
2ahe9mu.jpg

This better be in gow3. The poseidon fight will be too funny :lol

Facism

hey_it's_that_dog said:
There you have it. And yeah, 1 unlockable costume is pretty goddamn stingy compared to what we're used to. That said, I'm a big enough fan that I will probably buy DLC costumes if they are released in the future without complaining much. None of the pre-order skins are that appealing to me, though, so I hope they come out with some new stuff.

I'm a big enough fan to pay the full price for the game.

gofreak said:
Now maybe he's being pedantic
Christer is nothing if not pedantic. There's a paper that describes the MLAA algorithm, and the Saboteur effect is probably only a subset of the technique described. AFAIK the version used on GoW3 goes beyond the original paper.

Another developer post about the differences of the old E3 build and the final build. Also included why they didn't decide to give us a updated demo.

SantaMonicaChris said:
Graphically there's been HUGE changes since the demo! What you see in the demo is close to a year old. Since then, on the code side, we have added a ton of of stuff, including motion blur, godrays, reflective/refractive surfaces, and improved anti-aliasing. We've improved the lighting, improved the depth-of-field code, and fixed some problems (present in the demo) with the texture streaming to ensure hires textures are correctly streamed in at all times. We added additional features to the shader system to allow the artists to create even more impressive looking materials. to the shader code. We greatly overhauled the shadows. We also spent a lot of time optimizing the code, and the artists and designers did a fantastic job optimizing assets from their end. There's probably lots of other things I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but,in short, the demo is a pretty poor representation of the final game at this point; the final game is way better in every aspect! We badly wanted to release an updated demo that properly reflected the much improved state the game is in now, but we just ran out of time. It came down to a chouice between an updated demo and additional polish to the final game, and we went for the polish!

ScOULaris

I have been strong and managed to avoid watching any of the recent slew of spoiler videos, but I could help but look at some of the GIFs taken from them.

Going on media blackout before a game's release is getting harder and harder. Media sites absolutely bombard us with spoilerific multimedia content weeks and sometimes months before a game drops. I am perfectly capable of staying away from spoiler-prone forum threads and forgoing new videos, but all of this temptation is killing me!

But it will be worth it when I get to play the game in a couple of weeks. Everything will be new to me.

The Last Guardian is a great counter-example to the way games are covered and marketed today. Over the course of its five-year development, we have seen so damn little that fans scrounge for information rather than trying to avoid an abundance of it. But that's frustrating on a different level. :lol

ScOULaris said:
The Last Guardian is a great counter-example to the way games are covered and marketed today. Over the course of its five-year development, we have seen so damn little that fans scrounge for information rather than trying to avoid an abundance of it. But that's frustrating on a different level. :lol
Never fear, they will succeed in spoiling us all mere days before it's release. :(

Issun23

ScOULaris said:

I think I know what you mean. :lol

It does have a negative effect though, people think the game's still very early into development because the team chooses not to share a great amount of details.

slider

I'm relaxed about story spoilers in GOW3. I mean all Kratos's gonna do is kick ass and snarl. Nope, it's the arenas/vistas that I'm keen to avoid (I haven't done a very good job avoiding those spoilers so far though).

inpHilltr8r said:
Christer is nothing if not pedantic. There's a paper that describes the MLAA algorithm, and the Saboteur effect is probably only a subset of the technique described. AFAIK the version used on GoW3 goes beyond the original paper.

From Tim Moss twitter said:
The #gow3 AA technique saved 5ms from the GPU, costs ~20ms on 5 SPU's (~4ms Latency), its very pretty and only on #ps3

So not only did they move AA from the GPU to CELL but saved cycles doing it. It's looks better and it's faster/more efficient. IMO This type of AA is a game changer when it comes to IQ

So where are all of those people from 2006 and 2007 claiming Cell is no good for gaming?
103a9ap.jpg

Ken> you

raviolico

Issun23 said:
I think I know what you mean. :lol

It does have a negative effect though, people think the game's still very early into development because the team chooses not to share a great amount of details.

it could be again "still early" if Master Perfect (Ueda) decided so...;-)

A.R.K

Trailblaster said:
So not only did they move AA from the GPU to CELL but saved cycles doing it. It's looks better and it's faster/more efficient.

So where are all of those people from 2006 and 2007 claiming Cell is no good for gaming?

Ken> you

CELL is the BEAST
PS3 is the BEAST

but then there always be....

10prpro.jpg

Mad_Ban

Trailblaster said:
Always cracks me up. :lol

And I agree that tech like this should shared between all PS3 developers. Why should we make do with QAA or no AA when we could have this cheaper, better looking method?

Of course this assumes that some devs haven't already got the SPU's running other tasks.

A.R.K

alr1ghtstart said:
evan_wells (co-pres of ND)
Finished GOW3 last night! Stunning! No reason not to buy this game if you have a PS3, and if you don't, you should buy one to play it! about 2 hours ago via web
:D

QFTMFT!!!!!

Mad_Ban said:
Always cracks me up. :lol

And I agree that tech like this should shared between all PS3 developers. Why should we make do with QAA or no AA when we could have this cheaper, better looking method?

Of course this assumes that some devs haven't already got the SPU's running other tasks.

Oh they are shared between PS3 developers. Sony's only problem is that it take a while for things like this to officially make it into the SDK and into ther hands of third party studios. Sony's development kits have gotten better and the PS3's is leaps and bounds superior to those of the PS2. They just need to get better/faster at getting first party internal tools into the hands of third parties.

Interview with Todd Papy

Was there anything you were influenced by with UNCHARTED 2 during your development process?

Well, we didn’t really see the game [during development]. But we did have design meetings with them like Richard and Neil, and we’d basically talk and say, “Hey, how do you guys do things?” Their system versus our system is completely different, even in the way they handle their big wow moment which was probably the train sequence. And now this [the opening] is one of our big wow moments. They saw one of the titans early on and saw what we were doing, and hopefully our communications with them and they way we talk about our enemies…hopefully that will influence them. And the way they tell stories, I would hope that we would do some of that stuff in the next game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/god-of-war-iii-interview-with-design-director-todd-papy/

Tr4nce

Pre-ordered this today :D

Played the very first GoW, but not the second. Third one should be epic, but I've kept myself from seeing too much stuff. So I'm going in hypeless
almost.

W00h00!

Edit: very curious to see what the Official Thread will be like!

rhino4evr

Tr4nce said:

Played the very first GoW, but not the second. Third one should be epic, but I've kept myself from seeing too much stuff. So I'm going in hypeless
almost.

W00h00!

You should really play the second game first, not only is it great, but the story is directly related. The third game starts right after the second game ends

Tr4nce said:

almost.

W00h00!

Don't forget the psp version ;P

Aspiring

rhino4evr said:
You should really play the second game first, not only is it great, but the story is directly related. The third game starts right after the second game ends

What if you have never played any of them? Do we know if the game do some sort of backstory?

nskinnear said:
Yes, God of War III features a recap of the previous titles.

That's not good enough. He needs to play GoW 1 & 2 within a 24 hour grind session to get the full story.

He owes Kreytoast that much.

Honolulu

Neo Member
If I can resist the Urge, I'll be playing through Gow collection right before I play Gow3.
I think it was a lame move to only be able to get the collection via the Ultra Extreme Trilogy Edition here in Pal-land, costs $264 here in Sweden.... But I'm a sucker for elegant violence, so I preordered it yesterday.

Tr4nce

rhino4evr said:

Ah, yes i should have known. Thanks man. Maybe I can pick it up somewhere!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Honolulu said:
If I can resist the Urge, I'll be playing through Gow collection right before I play Gow3.
I think it was a lame move to only be able to get the collection via the Ultra Extreme Trilogy Edition here in Pal-land, costs $264 here in Sweden.... But I'm a sucker for elegant violence, so I preordered it yesterday.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get the gow collection (US version) + the regular edition of gow 3 from cdon?

Honolulu

Neo Member
Combichristoffersen said:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get the gow collection (US version) + the regular edition of gow 3 from cdon?

I almost always get collector's/limited editions of games that I really like, and this is one of my favorite franchises... besides, I want that Artbook + Soundtrack.
I'm also lazy.

I bet Nordiskfilm is behind the pricing of 'epic' proportions in Scandinavia.

-viper-

Banned
Seeing as this seems to be the most active GOW3 thread, got a question about the first game.

The grave digger old dude. Who was he?

-viper- said:
Seeing as this seems to be the most active GOW3 thread, got a question about the first game.

Zeus

God of War II spoiler:

He is also Kratos's dad.

Baha

-viper- said:

I think he was Zeus, I remember an old man digging graves in the battlefield being a disguise for a certain Greek god. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong

Cruzader

Banned
Baha said:
I think he was Zeus, I remember an old man digging graves in the battlefield being a disguise for a certain Greek god. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong
Wow really? Not really too educated in greek stuff. Is this true? Kinda cool thing to know.

X-Burner

Banned
Just out of curiosity, in the new gameplay footage, does Kratos
Stick his thumbs in poseidon's eye sockets, rip them out and break his neck at the same time? :lol

Top Bottom