• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 4 art leaks (Norse setting, Kratos w/ beard) [Up2: Polygon says real]

Which part of God of War 4 are you most excited about?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Evilisk

He's a horrible character with a single emotion whose story was run into the ground two games ago. Replace him with literally anything and you open up the series for interesting storytelling at least. Of course, I think most people would rather SSM do anything but God of War in the first place.

How? By replacing one angry, violent guy with another angry, violent guy?

This is God of War we're talking about, now with the mythology of the vikings.

People complain that Kratos is a violent dick, but any new protagonist is probably gonna be a violent dick too. Like there's no way we're getting a protagonist THAT much better than Kratos, not with the level of violence this series is known for.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just make it good SSM.

I like what is shown here, but concept arts can be finicky. They could change dramatically with the whim of the team leaders, and the transition into the final game could also bring big changes.

doofy102

Just have the feels, God of War 4. Have feels like this, this is what the series has been missing for a long time. It's not just about the "wow" factor, you gotta have an emotion to go along with it.

latest

People complain that Kratos is a violent dick, but any new protagonist is probably gonna be a violent dick too. Like there's no way we're getting a protagonist THAT much better than Kratos, not with the level of violence this series is known for.

So motivation isn't a thing anymore? You can have vengeful characters and give them meaningful motivation to be that way. Not the crappy one Kratos brought on to himself.

Going to be interesting to see SSM do something more colorful .
Either way i there day 1 since i love norse stuff and with SSM it going to look amazing .

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Funny how people that pull for Kratos forget that there are more emotions than being angry.
And being angry violent doesn't have to be the most visceral type of violence.

Yes we can replace one angry violent guy with a lunatic reveling in his violence and madness or with someone with strong principles and discipline but does go all cruel once those are not upheld by others.

Heck I'm not a writer but the world is bigger than Kratos.

Reading this thread illustrates how impossible it is for SSM to please everyone with the game's big reveal. Half the people here seem to want Kratos in the game, while the other half despises him.

Memento

They should release this Holiday some sort of Legacy Collection for PS4. Just put the PS3 HD releases together and port it to PS4. Also give a remaster treatment for Ascension the same way 3 had. $60 and boom. Sony wont even need Horizon to launch this year!
Please no #Horizon2016IBelieve

Reading this thread illustrates how impossible it is for SSM to please everyone with the game's big reveal. Half the people here seem to want Kratos in the game, while the other half despises him.

Gaf is not a real indicator of whole industry, so majority expects kratos because he is the iconic character everybody knows and wants. Its like people expecting no Nate from Uncharted. If there is no Kratos then its not a God of War and it should be called different instead.

Another GOW thread, another post where I feel obligated to point out that I Love Kratos and that he's my favorite PlayStation character and I'm glad he's still the star of this show!

Jetman

Awesome! Had a feeling Kratos was headed for Norse mythology next. I think God of War 3 (or was it Ascension) had really weird advertising tie-ins to that TV show Vikings in the game case. Figured there was probably a reason for that.

The only good part of God of War 3 was the beginning, found the rest of the game kind of boring and after playing Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising I just couldn't really get used to the gameplay.

Kind of hoped they didn't go with Kratos again. But I like the Norse setting.
I'd hope GoW4 learns a thing or two from Platinum's games, but it's not like 3 learnt from DMC3 so I don't expect it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Can people stop being stupid and paint this GAF vs majority thing without any proof.
GAF is obviously(that is if you can read this thread) split(and not pure anti kratos like some people make it seem) and nobody has gathered information on what the majority thinks.

Let the sales speak for themselves if the majority still goes crazy for Kratos or not.
Meanwhile let's discuss whatever strikes our fancy without spreading misinformation thanks.

93xfan

Banned
I'm kind of iffy on whether or not I even want Kratos back. But Kratos with a beard and magically putting him in a new setting? Yeah, that's dumb.

I love the whole viking theme for a game like this but it shouldn't be with Kratos.

I'd much rather have it be a new character, either way.

We had Linda Hunt voicing Gaia (I hope she is still there at least as an esoteric narrator). I hope we get Sir Athony Hopkins to voice Odin.

Cynn

He's killed all of the Greek Gods, why not a story that he's targeted by the Norse because they don't want his ass trotting across the rainbow road?

Honestly, it's a refreshing idea to have gods of different regions interacting. Odin isn't going to take his shit.

Coreda

Just wanted to post kudos to the OP for linking thumbnails and not just dumping them all in quote tags. Wish we saw more of that.

Gaf is not a real indicator of whole industry, so majority expects kratos because he is the iconic character everybody knows and wants. Its like people expecting no Nate from Uncharted. If there is no Kratos then its not a God of War and it should be called different instead.
Why? What if it revolved around the God of War of another mythology? Would it still not be fitting of the title?

There is nothing left to do with Kratos. His character's done after GoW3. Nothing short of "gee, he's still pissed so Norse gods are next" can give a good motivation for Kratos. He stopped being relatable in GoW2 and went full bloom asshole in 3. I'm done with him.

And no. God of War is not Kratos. He barely was the titular character. He got the title by the end of the original and got that stripped down after the opening in GoW2.

The franchise can go on without him as the main character.

I'd hope GoW4 learns a thing or two from Platinum's games, but it's not like 3 learnt from DMC3 so I don't expect it.

It really doesn't need and the GoW audiences are not hardcore. GoW combat is easy and satisfy, it serves its purpose enough. DMC or anything Platinum demand skill and practice. I enjoy GoW games because they're not DMC as I enjoy DMC games because they're not GoW.

I really hope Santa Monica scales back the personality of Kratos a little bit and makes him more like in GoW1 than GoW3.

Like I said in my previous post: he seems now more
redeemed and powerless
: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200182642&postcount=940

Very interesting, more like a subtle reboot of him. This reminds me of the smart reboot of MK9: beginning a new timeline linked to previous timeline and not just a total conversion reboot cutting ropes between the previous episodes. I even liked Kratos story in MK9.
He didn't have to kill the asian gods (Fujin and Raiden) but instead their lives since they showed respect to him after beating Shao Kahn and then returned back home.
. Such good combination and smart synopsis may work.

There is nothing left to do with Kratos. His character's done after GoW3. Nothing short of "gee, he's still pissed so Norse gods are next" can give a good motivation for Kratos. He stopped being relatable in GoW2 and went full bloom asshole in 3. I'm done with him.
I think a story from the other side could be interesting. Kratos could be living a life of solitude and peace for years but now, for some yet unknown reason, the other pantheons are fearful or concerned of the fact that a god killer still walks the earth, and they decide to take action

And like Unforgiven: Ancient Edition, an older more grizzled Kratos gets pulled into the world of deities again. He could be on the defensive, chased, hunted, instead of being the crazy aggressor

Maybe the world is in ruins due to the end of GoW3 and these new pantheons filled in the vacuum. Imagine a Greece or Persia mixed with Norse or Egyptian influence

Krato's is an amazing character, haters going to hate! I like the franchise, but I do agree that Ascension was a piece of shit, and hopefully with Barlog directing the new game. We get more epicness in terms of GOW 1,2 and 3

I think a story from the other side could be interesting. Kratos could be living a life of solitude and peace for years but now, for some yet unknown reason, the other pantheons are fearful or concerned of the fact that a god killer still walks the earth, and they decide to take action

And like Unforgiven: Ancient Edition, an older more grizzled Kratos gets pulled into the world of deities again. He could be on the defensive, chased, hunted, instead of being the crazy aggressor

Maybe the world is in ruins due to the end of GoW3 and these new pantheons filled in the vacuum. Imagine a Greece or Persia mixed with Norse or Egyptian influence

The persian connection has to happen otherwise all the connections between persians and greeks and GOW COO will be vain.

Because GoW costs substantially more to produced than those games and Sony needs substantially more sales for it to be a success. GoW has always been produced as a character action game for the mainsteam. And that's precisely what it is. It's never going to have combat on the level of a DMC or Platinum game because they need it to be immediately accessible and welcoming to anyone that picks up a controller. Right away in the original GoW you've got the Blades of Chaos and are whipping them around knocking enemies overboard on the ship, ripping others in half, and shortly after fighting a huge Hydra head. It's all done with simple button presses that anyone can do and all looks very cool.

I think this was highlighted rather well in the Elders React video to GoW3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQYDpZs6X4

They aren't people that spend much time playing games, but they're all having a blast with it because it's not only very easy to play but everything happening looks brutal and cool. It's basically a formula that no one else has managed to figure out. It's something that even Kamiya has expressed admiration for

"Out of all those action titles, there's one game that I am paying really close attention to, that I think is a rival game, a good game, which is called God of War 3," Kamiya told EGM.

"So there's like a wall for your imagination or ideas, and when you're actually creating something, you don't even see the wall. But with GOW, I felt like I saw beyond the wall," he told EGM.

"I felt like they created the game in a very good way which managed to bring in the users, they gave you a huge impactful feeling right in the beginning, and just drew you into the game. So I'm very impressed that they made the game like that."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/kamiya-wants-to-exceed-god-of-war

This is real then? Hmm, some of the concept art is pretty beautiful and I like that they are thinking of giving more of an active role to plants. Looks somewhat gloomy though, but this is early concept probably.

Kratos? Hmmm...hopefuly if he does return he isn't such a nasty character.

Holy shit. I see the different levels of Norse mythology in the OP with Valhalla, fairly world, land of the giants etc.

SSM have tons of possibilities in this universe for some crazy enemy designs.

My only point of contention right now is the axe as Kratos main weapon. Seems way more by the numbers compared to the visceral blades of chaos. But can't really complain until I see that thing in action.

Also #TeamBeard.

Heh, I actually discovered the intense hatred for Kratos once I joined Gaf.
It was a through the looking glass situation, I never realised we was so despised!

Naturally hope for some further character development with him like we got in the PSP games with his daughter and brother, but yup I still want a raging Kratos at points *Shrugs*

nib95

Banned
Norse mythology sounds great, though I'd have preferred Egyptian. That said, not sure how I feel about Kratos returning. Feel like I've seen and had enough of Kratos.

BruceCLea

Banned
This is super dorky, but I had this fantasy of the next God of War set in Norse mythology that would star a Valkyrie.

The story would be that Loki, appearing as Odin would trick a set of Valkyries into bringing him an army. (In Norse mythology Valkyries ascend fallen heroes to Valhalla). The purpose would be to stage a coup to take over the throne of Asgard. Subsequently murdering the remaining Valkyries and banishing them to Hel, he would get rid of all the evidence. You would play as the one remaining Valkyrie, who sets out to avenge her fallen sisters and save Asgard. Just a simple summary.

I have no life.

kratos coming back is fine as long as he changes his look to be more viking-like. him in that concept art is great. just keep that look.

and if the blades of athena are gone that would be fantastic too. make 2 light battle axes his primary weapon.

so happy about the change of mythology and setting too.

Jb

More than Kratos I'm worried the combat will be too similar to the previous games. I liked it, it fit the setting and the character, but they made 6 games around it and I think it's time to move on to something else. I'm just not sure how you would make a character action game that feels fresh and unique in this day and age.

More than Kratos I'm worried the combat will be too similar to the previous games. I liked it, it fit the setting and the character, but they made 6 games around it and I think it's time to move on to something else. I'm just not sure how you would make a character action game that feels fresh and unique in this day and age.

The only way is to no longer be a simplistic hack'n slash game but like a more developed RPG. That is the only way they can revamp the series.

Corto

This all feels to me like the Paul Gale Network that leaked Playstation All Stars and its rooster back in the day to disappear short after. Hype generator disguised as leak.

Nah. It's possible write a violent character who isn't a complete dick. Santa Monica just need to write better. Maybe Google 'anti-hero archetypes' or look up Carl Jung or something. Because Kratos's 1 dimensional, rage fueled, gamer gater on steroids persona wasn't really something I could get behind.

SSReborn

This all feels to me like the Paul Gale Network that leaked Playstation All Stars and its rooster back in the day to disappear short after. Hype generator disguised as leak.
Lol that site didn't disappear that guy was trolling the audience for the whole time. With lots of fake info after.

valkyre

You know the cow's milk is dry af, when you decide to marry Greek and Norse mythology....

The idea of Kratos and Thor going at it sounds ridiculous to me.

Was already tired with this franchise and was hoping for that "new IP" but they tanked that one and just decided to go back and do yet another God of War.

My hype level is non existent for this game.

Top Bottom