• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Lighting looks comparable but everything else including shadows, depth of field and textures look noticeably worse than GOW3.
Textures in most games improve later, and in single player. SSM also hasn't got the best history with the quality of pics they release. Their GOW3 pics were terrible

Nibel

And also the fact that this is MP and the SP will look quite a bit better. But still Im impressed with the level of detail that is being shown

Yeah, graphics wise SSM is one of the best studios out there. There is no reason to worry about its visuals, it will look crazy when it's done.

The thing that bother me is the art direction though - this doesn't look like GOW to me, but I'm a very openminded person and won't judge a game by a few early screenshots. And MP seems really unnecessary, but if they deliver a SP-like experience - why not?

Internet is on fire right now

Cyberia

When did the idea for God of War multiplayer arise?
In God of War III, there's actually a challenge area where you can actually fight Kratos. One of our guys got it running so you can fight against each other and it worked very well. That sparked the idea of this. And it is also something that we haven't seen done before. To me, there hasn't been a great melee combat game except for maybe something like Super Smash Bros. So, for us, we wanted to put our spin on it or our stamp on it.

What are the biggest challenges in doing this?
I think the main challenge is we are cutting our teeth we've never done a multiplayer game before. Especially to make it feel like God of War. We can't really look at any other game out there. If I was a first-person shooter we'd be able to look at Call of Duty or Uncharted and say, yeah, we can do something like that. But here isn't anything like us. It's basically just trial and error and we go through that every single day. We play it ever day and go, 'Did that work?' No. Let's try something new and take it in a new direction. And we've been doing that for a very long time.

More than a year?
Yes. We've been trying to build all the systems. It's taken a long time to take our code from a single-player game into a multiplayer space. We've had to rewrite a whole bunch of stuff and create a lot of new stuff so that when I attack you and I see it hit on my screen that it doesn't feel cheap on your screen. That is the biggest issue we have run into and right now I think we've conquered it.

So will this be playable on split screen?
No. It just doesn't look as good. What we are doing is we have got smaller arenas that we can still do from our fixed cameras and then it can be a 2-to-4 player match and you can play it online or at home with your buddy.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...set-to-reign-over-multiplayer-/1#.T56RZlKHiSq

Visuals look great considering its MP and its a while off release. I'm sure the SP will look better than GOW3 which is considered the best looking game out there. MP graphics are sure to improve as well.

untitled-1izxl2.gif

KalBalboa

Banned
Are people just cranky because it's Monday morning? Why is there so much negativity- this looks like it could be the western Monster Hunter. The equivalent of a multiplayer beat-em up on a God of War scale.

This looks like a lot of fun.

Are people just cranky because it's Monday morning? Why is there so much negativity- this looks like it could be the western Monster Hunter. The equivalent of a multiplayer beat-em up on a God of War scale.

Some people feel MP is going to be bad for the game , once it don't effect SP i don't see what the problem is .

I definitely agree that not all games need mp, but at that same time. I'm kind of happy that these developers try to put mp in certain types of games that has never been done before. I'm interested in this and most likely going to give it a shot

GeoramA

It's pretty much the norm. Being Monday has nothing to do with it.

The Last of Us = Just another Zombie game, writing it off
PS All-Stars = Huge ripoff, writing it off
GoW Ascension = Not what I wanted, writing it off

Nibel

You have never, never, never played Monster Hunter, and even if you did, you didn't

jett

D-Member
Pappy told Eurogamer Ascension's campaign is "just a little bit shorter" than in previous God of War games. "We've mapped out everything and given time estimates. It'll be pretty damn close."

what is this.

shorter than what? GOW2 was 12 hours long, GOW3 about 8.

God of War: Ascension interview with Todd Papy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBpejwtxwJk

Was hoping for a little more change on the single player side. From the interview, the story sounds like it's a re-tread compared to what they could have explored with Kratos' rise from nothing to the spartan general. And in terms of core gameplay it could have offered significant change with Kratos wielding a different primary weapon.

More excited for the multiplayer component because it kind of reminds of the arena battles from Shadow of Rome which had a lot potential for something completely different in a multiplayer setting.

Elixist

Anything interesting said in those two video interviews?

I'm at work so can't listen.

Basically they're showing 4 v 4 Power Stone esque fighting game. Theres appears to be working together to kill npcs. The combat guy talks about the "alignments" you can choose with 4 different gods, which sounds like perks or something from COD. A guy built for dmg, a healer type that can sustain the team with healing, and a tank built for takin hits.

Endo Punk

Kratos goes out to battle other Playstation characters for a day and returns to see that his game is being used for MP to play with other characters!?

kratos-first-person-kill.jpg

I definitely agree that not all games need mp, but at that same time. I'm kind of happy that these developers try to put mp in certain types of games that has never been done before. I'm interested in this and most likely going to give it a shot

It doesn't really look like that though

BadWolf

Basically they're showing 4 v 4 Power Stone esque fighting game. Theres appears to be working together to kill npcs. The combat guy talks about the "alignments" you can choose with 4 different gods, which sounds like perks or something from COD. A guy built for dmg, a healer type that can sustain the team with healing, and a tank built for takin hits.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Described like that gets me excited

Remember....

Uncharted 2. Everyone thought it'd suck and ruined SP.

Jump to present time.. Some find U2 better than U1 and U3 and that online is pretty decent.

TL;DR GOW:A= U2

i-Lo

I just saw an interview with Todd Papy who apparently is the game director. Any idea what happened to Stig Asmussen?

Top Bottom