• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
JB1981 said:
damn looks so nice in HD.
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but some of those weapon particle effects look nicer than what I remember it being. It might be just because the small video size is fooling me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
2009-11-11_13.08.32.jpg

2009-11-11_12.54.49.jpg

2009-11-11_13.06.23.jpg

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Wait, so this contains all the behind the scenes videos for both games? It looks like it does for GOW2, but now I have my doubts about GOW1.

All of the GOW1 extra content was accessible in-game. GOW2 had an extra disc, at least for the limited edition. Probably because the game itself was bigger and didn't leave enough room for videos.

Massa

templeusox said:
Of course there is. They are an unnatural barrier to information.

Embargos allow people to actually review games in depth instead of racing to get the first one out.

Massa said:
Embargos allow people to actually review games in depth instead of racing to get the first one out.
How benevolent of these corporations to save game reviewers from themselves. Again, I really hate this industry sometimes.

Septimus

Puck said:
Seriously, that is an ugly case :(
You have to think, though. They have to try and target perceived value with this. Mostly for newbs to the series it would seem like a no-brainer to buy. So if the best way to sell it is to plaster the logo a few times and each game cover, so be it.

Massa

templeusox said:
How benevolent of these corporations to save game reviewers from themselves. Again, I really hate this industry sometimes.

They're not doing it because they're benevolent, they're doing it because it's in their best interests. It doesn't matter why they're doing it, it works for the best anyway.

The_Dude

Ordered my copy today. Can't wait, especially since my PS2 has decided it doesn't like my copy of the first one anymore.

This thread has sold me. I've been meaning to look more into it-especially since it's RIGHT around the corner, and after seeing the comparison screens. I NEED MOAR GOD OF WAR!

ALL OVER MY FACE KRATOS, SHOOT IT ALL OVER.

Really excited to pick this up, especially since I missed God of War 2 the first time around. The first one is easily in my top 10 favorite games. It'll be nice to play through it again.

Plus this will serve as a nice change of pace so I don't overdose on Modern Warfare 2.

Chromax

For some reason, Amazon gave me another $20 off after I used the first one from buying MW2. GoW collection for $19.99! :D

Greg

ILOVEASIANS said:
Really excited to pick this up, especially since I missed God of War 2 the first time around. The first one is easily in my top 10 favorite games. It'll be nice to play through it again.

Plus this will serve as a nice change of pace so I don't overdose on Modern Warfare 2.
Well, whatever place the first one is at, get ready to put the second one at least one spot above it.

unomas

Banned
Never played either of these games, but I'm tempted to pick them up at this price and of course in HD. Just not sure I'll have the time with MW2 and AC2 as well.

Very tempted to import this... £28.55~ from DVD box office, looks great and i've only played Chains of Olympus, doesn't seem to be much more expensive to import now than it will cost when they actually get it out in the Uk... hmm...

Toki767

I notice Amazon changed the price of this back to $39.99 from $36.99. Think I'll just go to the a store on Tuesday to pick it up. On the bright side, Toys R Us next week has a buy 1 get $20 off a second game so in this case, it'd be buy 1 get 1 half off. :lol Means I can split with a friend.

teekun

templeusox said:

What are you talking about? An embargo allows journalists to take their time playing a game and writing a review without having to worry about any competing publications getting the jump on them because their staff powered through it and half-assed their write-up. The only people who "suffer" are impatient gamers who can't wait a few days to read a review of a game they've probably already made up their minds on.

Chromax said:
For some reason, Amazon gave me another $20 off after I used the first one from buying MW2. GoW collection for $19.99! :D
Is this for Prime customers or something? I've been seeing a lot of people saying they got $20 off from Amazon. Help plz.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Puck said:
Seriously, that is an ugly case :(
its not a pretty case, it's a case that is designed to move units. Nintendo have had similar success like that this gen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so it is definitely much cleaner, but what I'm more interested in is the performance. Do the new versions actually run at and maintain a solid 60 fps now? The originals dropped all the time and v-sync was often disabled. If they could clean that up it would make a huge difference.

SaitoH

dark10x said:
OK, so it is definitely much cleaner, but what I'm more interested in is the performance. Do the new versions actually run at and maintain a solid 60 fps now? The originals dropped all the time and v-sync was often disabled. If they could clean that up it would make a huge difference.

That's what I'm hoping.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Shurs said:
When is the embargo up?

Embargo? Gaming sites are going to review the games again?

CrayzeeCarl said:
Is this for Prime customers or something? I've been seeing a lot of people saying they got $20 off from Amazon. Help plz.

Got my 20 bucks off from amazon.com from buying MW2.

MoxManiac

dark10x said:

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed solid 60fps and no tearing? Sorry, I don't have a source.

Returners

No_Style said:
Better than The Orange Box. This box has some thematic elements to it.

I hope the Canadian version will have the inside art. :(

Oh god please.

Though I'm not holding out after the uncharted 2 fiasco. Crappy printing + no inside cover art FTL.

Jim

dark10x said:

100% perfectly solid 60fps (after putting a few hours into it). It's silky smooth. Remember all that nasty ass tearing in the reflective hallways and such? Doesn't exist.

The game is super clean looking. It's sharp, but there are no jagged edges anywhere that I could see, and I seriously doubt 1080p would have made a difference (I have a 1080p SXRD). Without the "dirty" PS2 IQ, it almost borders on looking too sterile now. You have to see it on your own HDTV to realize how clean it is. You lose the effect in screens and compressed video. Its a great looking game, and leagues better looking than the PS2 versions upscaled on a PS3.

The transitional FMV cut-scenes looks noticeably worse than the actual game now, hah. The actual movie scenes do look like they were cleaned up a bit and upscaled, like the intro. GoW1 has all it's special features and videos and such contained within the game. GoW2 has some of the bonus content broken out as viewable under the PS3's Video section. It's all there though.

After playing GoW3, the models, environments and effects in 1 and 2 are laughably low-detail. I'm kinda sure that there have been a few texture upgrades. The hydra looked better than I remember.

Oh, and review embargo is Monday.

LiK

HAHAHA, can't wait to relive that stupid tower of spinning knives. now all you LTTP people will experience that agonizing hell :D
unless they fixed it :(

steverulez said:
Very tempted to import this... £28.55~ from DVD box office, looks great and i've only played Chains of Olympus, doesn't seem to be much more expensive to import now than it will cost when they actually get it out in the Uk... hmm...

If they get it out in the UK, im getting the feeling they aren't interested in re-releasing it :(

teekun said:
What are you talking about? An embargo allows journalists to take their time playing a game and writing a review without having to worry about any competing publications getting the jump on them because their staff powered through it and half-assed their write-up. The only people who "suffer" are impatient gamers who can't wait a few days to read a review of a game they've probably already made up their minds on.

I think his point is, why is there an embargo on a game that is simply a re-release of two games that came out over 3 years ago?

LiK

H.Cornerstone said:
I think his point is, why is there an embargo on a game that is simply a re-release of two games that came out over 3 years ago?

to make it seem more important

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LiK said:
HAHAHA, can't wait to relive that stupid tower of spinning knives. now all you LTTP people will experience that agonizing hell :D
unless they fixed it :(

Dont think they did....in fact i believe one of the GOW trophies is..

Climb the tower without getting hit..

So its like a nice little FU to us that complained about it...:lol

Top Bottom