• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Massa

H.Cornerstone said:
I think his point is, why is there an embargo on a game that is simply a re-release of two games that came out over 3 years ago?

So they can analyze how the port runs, make comparisons with the old version, write about how the games hold up... like any other review.

Massa said:
So they can analyze how the port runs, make comparisons with the old version, write about how the games hold up... like any other review.
And I'll say it once again, it's sad that in this industry, journalists need paternalistic corporations them to threaten them in order to do a thorough job of this.

Every website I see has this coming out 11/15 which is a Sunday. I want to get it as soon as possible at my Target (have a gift card), but I've never heard of a Sunday release.

LiK

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Dont think they did....in fact i believe one of the GOW trophies is..

Climb the tower without getting hit..

So its like a nice little FU to us that complained about it...:lol

if that's true, hardest trophy evar :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Glad to hear the game runs at a perfect framerate now.

The transitional FMV cut-scenes looks noticeably worse than the actual game now, hah. The actual movie scenes do look like they were cleaned up a bit and upscaled, like the intro. GoW1 has all it's special features and videos and such contained within the game. GoW2 has some of the bonus content broken out as viewable under the PS3's Video section. It's all there though.
Oh wait, I forgot about the cutscenes...

The game used a lot of scenes rendered with the game engine played back as video clips and I always thought they were ugly in the PS2 version. Did the do anything to help solve this issue?

Mr. E. Yis said:
Every website I see has this coming out 11/15 which is a Sunday. I want to get it as soon as possible at my Target (have a gift card), but I've never heard of a Sunday release.

I've seen a few Sunday releases before... from Nintendo. In fact NSMB Wii is due out on Sun. Amazon, EB, and Bestbuy has GoW Collection listed for Tuesday, 11/17. What sites have the 15th listed?

Torgo

My review copy showed-up yesterday, but I won't be able to play it until late Friday night at the earliest :-(

I'll post some impressions over the weekend though.

Jim

dark10x said:
Glad to hear the game runs at a perfect framerate now.

Oh wait, I forgot about the cutscenes...

The game used a lot of scenes rendered with the game engine played back as video clips and I always thought they were ugly in the PS2 version. Did the do anything to help solve this issue?

Those are the ones I was talking about. They are just as ugly. I doubt they were going to re-render them or anything. The real game engine looks many times better. The CG movie scenes look great though.

Any other questions, lemme know. I'll play more GoW2 later today, but I've put in enough hours in to form an opinion: Games look great, definitely worth the upgrade, it's a great deal.

Oneself

Already pre-ordered a while ago. Show your support guys and pay for that shit if you'd love to see ICO/SOTC remade in HD 60fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jim said:
Those are the ones I was talking about. They are just as ugly. I doubt they were going to re-render them or anything. The real game engine looks many times better. The CG movie scenes look great though.

Any other questions, lemme know.
Ah, that's a disappointment. I never understand why they didn't just do them in realtime to begin with (they never looked better than the game itself).

How about the audio? Did they improve upon it in any way? Does it make use of proper 5.1? Was the music remastered?

Jim

dark10x said:
Ah, that's a disappointment. I never understand why they didn't just do them in realtime to begin with (they never looked better than the game itself).

How about the audio? Did they improve upon it in any way? Does it make use of proper 5.1? Was the music remastered?

Were they there to hide loadtimes in the original? I don't remember. The scale of some of those scenes might have been an issue, but I'm sure it was doable. There aren't a whole ton of them, really.

It comes over as stereo audio (I'm outputting HDMI audio as PCM to my receiver), it's not remixed/remastered from what I can hear, but it sounds awesome on my home theater. Possibly a little more crisp than the PS2 version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jim said:
CG scenes are probably same as the original 480p videos too, but they look much better upscaled due to high image quality compared to in-engine rendered video scenes.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Anyone else think that on the back cover of God of War 3 we'll see some news about GoW: CoO 2? I mean, they need something for the PSP2 launch next year :p

Jim said:
Were they there to hide loadtimes in the original? I don't remember. The scale of some of those scenes might have been an issue, but I'm sure it was doable. There aren't a whole ton of them, really.

It comes over as stereo audio (I'm outputting HDMI audio as PCM to my receiver), it's not remixed/remastered from what I can hear, but it sounds awesome on my home theater. Possibly a little more crisp than the PS2 version.
The MPEGs didn't hide loading, because all the disk bandwidth was taken up with streaming the MPEG.

None of the MPEGs were re-rendered, but they were all processed, using a technique I can only describe as 'magic'.

The audio is just stereo, and there was no remixing AFAIK. The orginal games were mastered in stereo. Adding surround is not as simple as just turning it on, as positional information that sounds good in stereo, can be completely wrong in surround. I believe you can hear this in GoW2 if you turn on DPL, as some of the dialogue that should be in front, is actually in the rear.
IIRC the fight on the sword has a couple of howlers.

The reverb used is new. On PS2 it was hardware, whereas on PS3 it's software, using a much more complex algorithm.

vehn

bdizzle said:
done and done!

EDIT: Im not seeing it on BB.com

I wonder if amazon would price match that... having the $20 gift card from MW2 so getting this for $10 would be awesome!

jmd494

Greg said:
Well, whatever place the first one is at, get ready to put the second one at least one spot above it.
I disagree wholeheartedly.

My top 5 games of all time are:
1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. God of War I
3. Amplitude
4. ICO
5. God of War II

I'm not 100% sure why I preferred the first so much, and I know I'm in the minority, but I just think it's a much better game (story plays a big role in that).

Justin Dailey said:
I disagree wholeheartedly.

My top 5 games of all time are:
1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. God of War I
3. Amplitude
4. ICO
5. God of War II

I'm not 100% sure why I preferred the first so much, and I know I'm in the minority, but I just think it's a much better game (story plays a big role in that).

I agree.. the story of the first made me enjoy it much more.

jmd494

Yeah I have mine pre-ordered at Amazon as well using Amazon Prime. But they're stating the delivery estimate is 11/20. That's pretty disappointing if the game is really coming out 11/15 or even 11/17.

bdizzle said:
done and done!

EDIT: Im not seeing it on BB.com

I dunno about online. But the preorder boxes for God of War 3 at BestBuy in-store said you get $10 off God of War Collection when preordering God of War 3.

JB1981

Jim said:
100% perfectly solid 60fps (after putting a few hours into it). It's silky smooth. Remember all that nasty ass tearing in the reflective hallways and such? Doesn't exist.

The game is super clean looking. It's sharp, but there are no jagged edges anywhere that I could see, and I seriously doubt 1080p would have made a difference (I have a 1080p SXRD). Without the "dirty" PS2 IQ, it almost borders on looking too sterile now. You have to see it on your own HDTV to realize how clean it is. You lose the effect in screens and compressed video. Its a great looking game, and leagues better looking than the PS2 versions upscaled on a PS3.

The transitional FMV cut-scenes looks noticeably worse than the actual game now, hah. The actual movie scenes do look like they were cleaned up a bit and upscaled, like the intro. GoW1 has all it's special features and videos and such contained within the game. GoW2 has some of the bonus content broken out as viewable under the PS3's Video section. It's all there though.

After playing GoW3, the models, environments and effects in 1 and 2 are laughably low-detail. I'm kinda sure that there have been a few texture upgrades. The hydra looked better than I remember.

Oh, and review embargo is Monday.

Such awesome news. I also put in GOW 3 immediately after playing God of War II the other night and WOW at the graphics leap.

Gryphter said:
I've seen a few Sunday releases before... from Nintendo. In fact NSMB Wii is due out on Sun. Amazon, EB, and Bestbuy has GoW Collection listed for Tuesday, 11/17. What sites have the 15th listed?

Doh! I'm getting the release dates of the 2 games that I'm getting this week mixed up.

CamHostage

templeusox said:
How benevolent of these corporations to save game reviewers from themselves. Again, I really hate this industry sometimes ... it's sad that in this industry, journalists need paternalistic corporations them to threaten them in order to do a thorough job of this.

Stop acting so entitled. This is entertainment/product journalism. Any journalist has free reign to write whatever they want once the product hits the shelves and becomes public material, but when something exists only inside of the company, it is company property and it can call the shots. The reps give journalists the right to look at a product early to prepare content and to create preview material, but they have no responsibility to do so (the only people a company is responsible to is its shareholders.) And journalists can get crafty and exploit insiders for information, but technically that is company "property" that is being given out, and those insiders could be held liable for stealing materials and disrupting the company's financial security. So there's a give and take between product press and journalists. The game makers will give journos access in due time to help move papers as well as sell product, and the journalists respect (to a degree) the stipulations laid down by the publisher so long as they are fair and even across the publishing world. It's not different in any other industry. Roger Ebert is a noted journalist, why hasn't he reviewed Avatar? Why is everybody surprised whenever Apple announces a new product at Macworld?

And are you seriously throwing down the gloves to beat down journalism over upscalings of old God of War games? Unless the run engine was shit (and clearly from the videos, it is not,) how could review scores make a lick of difference to you? Can you not do the math in your head as to whether you should buy this?

CamHostage

Jim said:
The game is super clean looking. It's sharp, but there are no jagged edges anywhere that I could see, and I seriously doubt 1080p would have made a difference (I have a 1080p SXRD). Without the "dirty" PS2 IQ, it almost borders on looking too sterile now. You have to see it on your own HDTV to realize how clean it is. You lose the effect in screens and compressed video. Its a great looking game, and leagues better looking than the PS2 versions upscaled on a PS3.

Yeah, I've had that problem as well where a game improved for a new system somehow looks worse than what I had in my mind from the original. I can play an old sub-30 game and be really impressed by how hard the game is working to churn out these amazing graphics, then it shows up in a PC version or in an emulator or on XBLA running at 60fps with enhanced filters and yet somehow all the flaws and simple textures/models stick out. (I'm trying to remember cases where this has happened, Banjo on Xbox would be one but I remember not getting such a disconnected feeling in that game and really enjoying its look all over again.)

Jim

Ok, after playing more of GoW2... damn, the game looks amazing in the Collection. It really can put quite a number of actual next-gen games to shame. Some of the textures are way too good. I expect people who have never played GoW2 will be really impressed.

I've played through all of the game via BC on a PS3 originally, and it's like night and day. The vsync and the solid 60fps makes it worth it alone. The super clean IQ and proper widescreen (no borders or anything), is just like the icing on the cake.

The PS2 version looked great of course, but I forgot how much better it looked than GoW1. You can definitely see the huge upgrade.

shagg_187 said:
One question, Jim. Have you tried using the "high definition cheat" of God of War 2? Just wondering WTF happens when you do that... :p

Hah, no. Totally forgot about that. Will haev to try it later. Hidden 1080p mode maybe (not that it needs it)? :p

CamHostage said:
Stop acting so entitled. This is entertainment/product journalism. Any journalist has free reign to write whatever they want once the product hits the shelves and becomes public material, but when something exists only inside of the company, it is company property and it can call the shots. The reps give journalists the right to look at a product early to prepare content and to create preview material, but they have no responsibility to do so (the only people a company is responsible to is its shareholders.) And journalists can get crafty and exploit insiders for information, but technically that is company "property" that is being given out, and those insiders could be held liable for stealing materials and disrupting the company's financial security. So there's a give and take between product press and journalists. The game makers will give journos access in due time to help move papers as well as sell product, and the journalists respect (to a degree) the stipulations laid down by the publisher so long as they are fair and even across the publishing world. It's not different in any other industry. Roger Ebert is a noted journalist, why hasn't he reviewed Avatar? Why is everybody surprised whenever Apple announces a new product at Macworld?

And are you seriously throwing down the gloves to beat down journalism over upscalings of old God of War games? Unless the run engine was shit (and clearly from the videos, it is not,) how could review scores make a lick of difference to you? Can you not do the math in your head as to whether you should buy this?
You have got to be kidding me. You act like these companies are doing journalists a selfless favor by giving them access to the game prior to release. They would not do that if it didn't come back to benefit them. These products need hype, promotion, and column space. The only way to get that is to give access to people who can do that for you. It's supposed to be a symbiotic relationship.

Now, one element of gameplay that has changed very slightly is that both titles feel smoother to play thanks to the increased framerate. While God of War I and II both ran pretty well on the PS2, their framerates weren't perfect and there was screen tearing aplenty. There's none of that here, and because of it, Kratos feels a tiny bit more responsive. It's a subtle difference, one that you might only be able to notice if you've played the original versions recently, but it is indeed a nice improvement.

8.5 Presentation
Great stories and fantastic behind-the-scenes content are only marred by poor video quality.
8.0 Graphics
While they don't hold a candle to the likes of Uncharted 2, the games look great in HD, especially God of War II. The crisp framerate is also very welcome.
9.5 Sound
A soundtrack as epic as the environments, killer sound effects and very good voice acting (despite Kratos mostly just saying "Athena!").
9.5 Gameplay
Top-notch combat controls, a good mix of interesting puzzles, incredible environments and tons of violence that's used at the perfect level.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
You'll easily get 20+ hours out of your first play-through if you haven't played them before, and things like the challenges will keep you hooked for a long while.
Outstanding

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/104/1043793p1.html

Jim

IGN review is pretty much dead on. It's silly to compare it to Uncharted 2 though... It's not exactly apples to apples. I wouldn't consider the upgrade to be "subtle" if you play it on a PS2/PS3 and then the Collection versions on the PS3.

CamHostage

templeusox said:
You have got to be kidding me. You act like these companies are doing journalists a selfless favor by giving them access to the game prior to release. They would not do that if it didn't come back to benefit them. These products need hype, promotion, and column space. The only way to get that is to give access to people who can do that for you. It's supposed to be a symbiotic relationship.

It is symbiotic. Both sides have power. If companies didn't offer access, journalists would dig it out, and shareholders would be outraged that products were not properly exposed to the market. They work together to generate sales and audience.

But this is product-based journalism, not event coverage or personal story coverage or even government or corporation coverage. A journalist can write anything he wants about something that's part of the public record or that exists as a business practice, but with a product, that's a private development that no one person, even the director, has complete authority over. Leaks can overexpose a product, accelerate a schedule, damage a license partnership, and even doom a product. It's in both the company's and the journalist's best interest for them to establish this symbiotic relationship. If that means that a producer wants a review embargo on a product until the game is out, that's within his rights in the relationship; there's no binding contract (I don't think you can even put an NDA on a review since it is an impression, only on copyrighted information of the product itself) but there is a respect between the two entities. Uf he wants a review embargo until after it ships to help mitigate damage, that is NOT within his rights and journalists will bat that request right back.

And again, if you want to take on journalists for being pussy-whipped, I think you have a lot greater causes than coverage embargo dates. (For example, I'm not seeing this game reviewed on other sites, is this an exclusive review agreement?) You seem to be on board with there being a symbiotic relationship between press and businesses (many just want a rogue gaming press, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but it would be different and as a long-time reader of gaming rags, I don't think I'd like it as much myself) so why did the delay in posting reviews on this game bother you so?

(EDIT -- I guess we can take this offline, I'm realizing now this is derailing the thread...)

Jim said:
Ok, after playing more of GoW2... damn, the game looks amazing in the Collection. It really can put quite a number of actual next-gen games to shame. Some of the textures are way too good. I expect people who have never played GoW2 will be really impressed.
Makes me want FFXII HD almost as much as the gorgeous pictures from the PCSX2 thread.

Mr. Sam

lupinko said:
Maybe it gives it GOWIII graphics. :p

Like a god damn painting. And with an Oscar-worthy script. Wait, wrong game.

Oddly enough, the only God of War game I've played a substantial amount of was Chains of Olympus (which I understandably breezed through - until a game-breaking glitch at the final boss which was only fixed when I played through the entire game again). I might have to import this just to get my hype levels for GoW3 up to where they should be.

Erebus

9.0 Lasting Appeal
You'll easily get 20+ hours out of your first play-through if you haven't played them before, and things like the challenges will keep you hooked for a long while.
Only 9 for a package of two full games with several time-consuming challenges and many powers/weapons to upgrade?

Seems a bit low to me.

Torgo

Only played GoW1 so far, but Jim hit it on the head. It's not at the PS3-Level, but damn is it nice. It's so nice and clean now, and the framerate is rock-solid. Also, the sound is coming through my system in full 5.1, which is NICE!!

The cutscenes are pretty funny too, since they left those alone essentially.

Can't wait to try #2!

This is definitely worth $40. Two great games that are completely remastered, yeah, I want Shadow of the Colossus now!

Shuusui

Old?

http://thegameraccess.com/ps3/official-god-of-war-iii-will-have-online-cooperative-modes

With the release of the God of War Collection right around the corner, many God of War fanatics are anxiously waiting to pick up their copy Tuesday. The God of War Collection will not only give PS3 owners the ability to play a remastered version of God of War I and II in HD, but also early access to the God of War III E3 Demo. I just got done completing the demo and I must say I was blown away, but something else just came into play.

After playing the amazing God of War III Demo, I logged onto Sony's Retail Loyalty Site which educates retail employees about their upcoming products and noticed they had a God of War III module, so I decided to take it. I was taking the module just like any other until I noticed something surprisingly shocking.

fyh00x.jpg

You read it right! God of War III will feature online cooperative modes. There have been rumors flying across the web regarding cooperative modes for God of War III, but I am here to confirm it to all. March 2010 just cannot come soon enough!

Top Bottom