• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War E3 2016 trailer gameplay, not open world, all Kratos, 2017

I think Kratos will go bat shit crazy, kill all the animals, gods and even the kid, become Satan and rule the world.

I'd buy that game.

Seriously, please no wimpy moral lessons and all that in a God Of War game. I liked playing as a horrible, evil dick.

Also, if you have to babysit that brat, I'm out!

I think the assets are beautifully rendered and the materials look extremely convincing in al the varieties (wood, metals, clothing). The only big visual glaring at the moment is IQ partially for some screen elements and the lack of SSR: IMO, SSR is indeed a stop gap, but one that is a necessary evil for a lot of surfaces to make them look püerspective correct... especially with cube maps. Regarding IQ: the fur, hair, etc... looks like it is constantly disolving all the time and disappearing in and out of sub pixel size. When his beard moves or when you look at the child.

That could be something PSNeo could fix or perhaps to an extent just a different way of TAA'ing them.

Haha I love your Avi bro

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I'd buy that game.

Seriously, please no wimpy moral lessons and all that in a God Of War game. I liked playing as a horrible, evil dick.

Exactly, Kratos is no hero. Gimme that crazy vengeance.

Enormous God of War fan, it's my favourite PlayStation franchise by far.

I liked the showing but it looks like a totally different game.

God of War as we knew it is dead I fear. I'm always up for change though so I'm excited for it... I'm just not expecting Kratos to be performing the kind of feats we've come to expect.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I am hungry. Feed us!

I like this no nonsense Kratos, much wiser, much more contained, much better.

I'm pretty sure he'll snap at some point.

Lmo911

He's going to lose it. It has to happen. Maybe not through the entire game, but sooner or later he's going to stop being cold and let loose some rage. You can see it in the monster design. He uses an ice axe, that crazy troll had fire magic. During the demo you can see a rage bar build as he fights. Eventually he will lose control.

That kid's days are numbered.

Being a music guy this was the absolute highlight of the Sony conference for me, literally brought me to tears. Absolutely amazing and easily Bear Mccreary's best work, may be the best single example of a culturally influenced period piece since the late Basil Poledouris work on Conan the Barbarian ost in 1982. (The similarities are pretty glaring but not in a bad way, think wheel of pain.) If you missed the beginning of Sony's conference you owe it to yourself to give this a listen.

https://youtu.be/GwofRzkROo4?t=29m30s

Agreed.
The music was just amazing in capturing the essence of GoW and gave me chills.

I need to brush up my knowledge on this Bear McCreary fellow now, but seems the music is in safe hands :)

B.O.O.M

He's going to lose it. It has to happen. Maybe not through the entire game, but sooner or later he's going to stop being cold and let loose some rage. You can see it in the monster design. He uses an ice axe, that crazy troll had fire magic. During the demo you can see a rage bar build as he fights. Eventually he will lose control.

That kid's days are numbered.

I'm telling you guys, the name of the kid will be 'Kratos' as well and we will play 'as' Kratos (technically)

SkylineRKR

This looks incredible. Sony Santa Monica are on top.

But I hope we won't TLoU through all of this. He probably finishes the kid on accident, snaps and is back at square one with a different camera and fighting engine.

Then, we might have a truly awesome God of War 4 with some stellar character development and drama. Yeah I'm hyped for a God of War since a long time.

This whole orchestra live performance during the many interludes and game sequences have been amazing to hear. Kudos to Sony for a very memorable and stylish conference.

bumpkin

So opening Pandora's box in 3 created the Norse gods? Kratos was finally free after he killed Athena and is just chilling as a dad?
I was under the impression the world was basically fucked after he killed all the gods, so there being a world to even raise a son in amongst wilderness is completely confusing to me.

OsirisBlack

Banned
OléGunner;207053103 said:
Agreed.
The music was just amazing in capturing the essence of GoW and gave me chills.

I need to brush up my knowledge on this Bear McCreary fellow now, but seems the music is in safe hands :)

Pretty amazing composer has done a ton of television work The Walking Dead, Agents of Shield, Defiance, Da Vinci's Demons , Battle star galactica, Terminator Sarah Connor chronicles, Black Sails hell the man has range and keeps pretty busy.

Graphics look God but doesn't seem like GoW at all. Camera is totally different and combat (from what we've seen) looks more one on one focused.

Like the Norse mythology, but hope the confusion between the Greek elements is gotten rid of; Kratos is Greek for power, so his name needs to change to a Norse one; also the L3 and R3 attack shouldn't be called 'Spartan Rage' - how does Sparta relate to Norse mythology at all?

Why would any of that change? He's still the same Kratos that destroyed the Greek Gods and nearly ended the world. He's still a Greek guy, still a Spartan. He's just living out his retirement in Scandinavia.

PnCIa

Amazing looking game, and very very unexptected. They opted for panning camera moves instead of a lot of gameplay, but its E3...

Shane89

Not sure if someone already posted but... Valkyrie Confirmed
giphy.gif

Armadilo

Banned
no reason why he can't equip another axe and then add chains to those two axe's to use the same as his swords from previous games

ActWan

I'd buy that game.

Yes please.
I think most people that actually played and liked the previous games want that unlike most people that didn't play/like them, and are just waiting for a GOW they can finally play...it reminds me of the classic Kratos threads where most of the people that hate Kratos didn't actually play/enjoy the games. They're the ones who want the new one to keep the style we've seen in the trailer...and that's a shame
Please don't spoil my GOW, it's a game about killing things with rage, not fatherly connections and shit. There are plenty of other games that can take care of that.

Pretty amazing composer has done a ton of television work The Walking Dead, Agents of Shield, Defiance, Da Vinci's Demons , Battle star galactica, Terminator Sarah Connor chronicles, Black Sails hell the man has range and keeps pretty busy.

Excellent, then the man has done amazing work in these series I've watched hot damn!
Really diverse stuff in that list.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
I had lost interest with the GoW series after 3 (combat got stale for me), but this looks like a really fresh take on it and I love it!! That troll design is tops. Pretty happy to be so surprised by it. :)

I'm thinking Kratos is going to have to have a reason to want to kill the whole Norse pantheon so...

I get why people asume this, but I actually think that this time Kratos isn't on a killing spree to kill all nordic gods. Hell, maybe they even rescued him because they deemed him worthy to share with them a place in Valhalla, or they need him to prevent Ragnarök. Who knows, but from what I saw until now, I think this time not everything is about rage.

Right now Twitter is telling me that 161k people are tweeting about Zelda and 587k are tweeting about Link.

I asume that if Sony had only shown God of War, more people would be tweeting about Kratos' beard alone than about Zelda.

GIANKRATOS
(Today, 02:50 PM)

;)

Seriously though, as a big fan, this demo really surprised me. I LOVE how Kratos has changed, i love the setting, i freaking love the soundtrack and i can't wait to know how the cs works. The other games that were shown were really good, but not this good.

I was under the impression the world was basically fucked after he killed all the gods, so there being a world to even raise a son in amongst wilderness is completely confusing to me.

I think he simply fucked up the part of the world controlled by the greek gods.

nortonff

I get why people asume this, but I actually think that this time Kratos isn't on a killing spree to kill all nordic gods. Hell, maybe they even rescued him because they deemed him worthy to share with them a place in Valhalla, or they need him to prevent Ragnarök. Who knows, but from what I saw until now, I think this time not everything is about rage.

I asume that if Sony had only shown God of War, more people would be tweeting about Kratos' beard alone than about Zelda.

This is actually a neat idea. Maybe something with Lift and Lifthrasir?

El-Suave

I was against a new GOW with Kratos, but they've totally convinced me that this is different and fresh enough to spawn more games. Well done Barlog and Santa Monica Studio, well done.

Mifune

Mehmber
Being a music guy this was the absolute highlight of the Sony conference for me, literally brought me to tears. Absolutely amazing and easily Bear Mccreary's best work, may be the best single example of a culturally influenced period piece since the late Basil Poledouris work on Conan the Barbarian ost in 1982. (The similarities are pretty glaring but not in a bad way, think wheel of pain.) If you missed the beginning of Sony's conference you owe it to yourself to give this a listen.

https://youtu.be/GwofRzkROo4?t=29m30s

When Bear first walked out, I said to my wife, "Oh shit." Big BSG fans here.

Razgreez

Yes please.
I think most people that actually played and liked the previous games want that unlike most people that didn't play/like them, and are just waiting for a GOW they can finally play...it reminds me of the classic Kratos threads where most of the people that hate Kratos didn't actually play/enjoy the games. They're the ones who want the new one to keep the style we've seen in the trailer...and that's a shame
Please don't spoil my GOW, it's a game about killing things with rage, not fatherly connections and shit. There are plenty of other games that can take care of that.

Except for the fact that Kratos's rage was always fueled by him bring tricked into killing his family i.e. "fatherly connections" and the subsequent fallout from that. His nightmares were literally constant play by plays of his murders especially that of his own family

Li Kao

Calling it now, Kratos is the boy !
It would solve the odd narrative dissonance that happens everytime the experience messages are displayed (my character just obliterates trolls like it's monday but he gained +10 archery, owww, that's cute). Only issue would be the dev saying you play as Kratos during the entire game but they could just play on words.

...anyway, and more importantly, am I stupid ? Did we play the same GOW3 ? Are there multiple endings in this game ?
Because I don't understand the posters that say it's the same Kratos, that he is older etc. I mean the whole point of the ending as I remember it is that he has to...
Did I miss something ?

I love Bear, but this is some uninspired music from him. I hope the final product is better. His stuff in Outlander is pretty incredible too.

This is a good theory. I could get behind that. Something along the line is going to push him over the edge though. I can feel it.

mcz117chief

How about the Son actually Kills Kratos. "Finish what you started Boy!"

If the developers are still following the original script then Kratos survives till he meets Jesus Christ along with the other 2 magi (wise men) where one was supposed to be from Scandinavia and the other from Egypt. Perhaps the boy is one of the 3 magi :)

ActWan

Except for the fact that Kratos's rage was always fueled by him bring tricked into killing his family i.e. "fatherly connections" and the subsequent fallout from that. His nightmares were literally constant play by plays of his murders especially that of his own family

Come on...it's not what I'm talking about.
If the kid dies/kidnapped or something and it'll serve as a reason for a god murder spree I'll be satisfied. But if it'll be like TLOU...well...that's what I was talking about.

...anyway, and more importantly, am I stupid ? Did we play the same GOW3 ? Are there multiple endings in this game ?
Because I don't understand the posters that say it's the same Kratos, that he is older etc. I mean the whole point of the ending as I remember it is that he has to...
Did I miss something ?

Did you miss the part at the end where it pans back to the cliff where Kratos stabbed himself and his body is missing, trail of blood leading to the edge of the cliff?

Holy crap that POTG gif

Top Bottom