• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War E3 2016 trailer gameplay, not open world, all Kratos, 2017

Graphics look God but doesn't seem like GoW at all. Camera is totally different and combat (from what we've seen) looks more one on one focused.

Like the Norse mythology, but hope the confusion between the Greek elements is gotten rid of; Kratos is Greek for power, so his name needs to change to a Norse one; also the L3 and R3 attack shouldn't be called 'Spartan Rage' - how does Sparta relate to Norse mythology at all?

mbpm1

Kratos is still spartan so why would that change?

I do want them to find a way to integrate the mythologies in some way though. Or at least, acknowledge that Kratos comes from a totally different pantheon.

Graphics look God but doesn't seem like GoW at all. Camera is totally different and combat (from what we've seen) looks more one on one focused.

Like the Norse mythology, but hope the confusion between the Greek elements is gotten rid of; Kratos is Greek for power, so his name needs to change to a Norse one; also the L3 and R3 attack shouldn't be called 'Spartan Rage' - how does Sparta relate to Norse mythology at all?

They seem to be integrating the two somehow.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just father, boy, mother and whatever the Gods will name Kratos like he was the ghost of Sparta.

Today morning I was shocked to see God of War trending in Twitter top 10 with approx 100,000 tweets. Never saw any video game trending in top 10 before.

video games trended world wide before, it's not uncommon at all.

Right now Twitter is telling me that 161k people are tweeting about Zelda and 587k are tweeting about Link.

What if Kratos survived the end of GoW3 and simply moved as far away as he could to leave out the rest of his days in peace - a few years later falls for a Danish woman, and together they have a son. This is clearly a much older and more placid Kratos.

As someone who has followed the franchise since its introduction but never really felt the need to play the games, I'm excited Sony let them take the series in a different direction and as such I'll be there at launch.

I like the change honestly. The gameplay was fine in the old God of Wars but we'll see how this new one works. I hope Kratos has mellowed out as a character and I also really hope the kid doesn't die so Kratos doesn't have to go on a murder spree. All in all the game is gorgeous and the orchestra playing in the background really heightened the demo in all the right ways.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I like the change honestly. The gameplay was fine in the old God of Wars but we'll see how this new one works. I hope Kratos has mellowed out as a character and I also really hope the kid doesn't die so Kratos doesn't have to go on a murder spree. All in all the game is gorgeous and the orchestra playing in the background really heightened the demo in all the right ways.

so what you wanna do in the game? babysit?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I just wish the Axe was a bit more epic, more "special" look.

Here in the demo it just looks like.....an axe. And it makes Kratos look generic.

but everything else was promising

dr guildo

That compressed cutscene pic doesn't support your argument. The gameplay looks notably different from cutscenes and you never get photo-mode iq during gameplay.

IQ is the same during photomode and ingame, don't be tricked by the sharpening filter that you can apply in photomode.

kmg90

I find it ironic that this is looking like the RE4 of the series where diehards don't accept it as a game from the series while getting all of the people that burnt out in the first games find it interesting and enjoyable.

Being revealed at the same conference that the previously referenced series is getting a new entry that spins the series back towards it's roots (with some twists)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I can't believe they opened with this. Me and my boi were shook right from the beginning haha. I like the new more personal direction they are taking with this IP. A fresh reboot.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I can't believe they opened with this. Me and my boi were shook right from the beginning haha. I like the new more personal direction they are taking with this IP. A fresh reboot.

Three notes from the orchestra and I thought "I can't believe its God of War!"

I really like the combat. You can feel the axe tear into the flesh. Best graphics in a game I have ever seen. This is my most anticipated game.

Also I don't care bout the kid at all kinda meh over it

But aslong as I can brutally kill the enemies and the bosses and the weapons are legit I'll get over the different gameplay and the kid

TP-DK

The kid and mother will get brutally murdered 20 minutes into the game and Kratos will go on a killing spree against the Norse gods. The "XP gained", "Location discovered" and babysitting is SSM toying with us in the first chapter of the game.

I'm basing this on nothing.

I'm down with a new style, but also down for a Norse reskin with the old gameplay. Interested to see where this goes. I hope there are still platforming elements and combo based attacks

nortonff

I think Kratos will go bat shit crazy, kill all the animals, gods and even the kid, become Satan and rule the world.

Shin-chan

The more I think about this game the more excited I am for it. And I was fairly jaded with God of War following ascension. The music they've shown is amazing too.

I'm in the mood to start the PSP games I got on PS+ now.

Two Words

One thing I do not like is how the cameras appears to be locked behind your back. That makes sense for a shooter, but this is no shooter. A tighter camera is fine, but give me independent control on camera and character rotation.

Either way, how do you think the visuals look, man?

I think the assets are beautifully rendered and the materials look extremely convincing in al the varieties (wood, metals, clothing). The only big visual glaring at the moment is IQ partially for some screen elements and the lack of SSR: IMO, SSR is indeed a stop gap, but one that is a necessary evil for a lot of surfaces to make them look püerspective correct... especially with cube maps. Regarding IQ: the fur, hair, etc... looks like it is constantly disolving all the time and disappearing in and out of sub pixel size. When his beard moves or when you look at the child.

That could be something PSNeo could fix or perhaps to an extent just a different way of TAA'ing them.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Being a music guy this was the absolute highlight of the Sony conference for me, literally brought me to tears. Absolutely amazing and easily Bear Mccreary's best work, may be the best single example of a culturally influenced period piece since the late Basil Poledouris work on Conan the Barbarian ost in 1982. (The similarities are pretty glaring but not in a bad way, think wheel of pain.) If you missed the beginning of Sony's conference you owe it to yourself to give this a listen.

https://youtu.be/GwofRzkROo4?t=29m30s

Top Bottom