• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War E3 2016 trailer gameplay, not open world, all Kratos, 2017

Being a music guy this was the absolute highlight of the Sony conference for me, literally brought me to tears. Absolutely amazing and easily Bear Mccreary's best work, may be the best single example of a culturally influenced period piece since the late Basil Poledouris work on Conan the Barbarian ost in 1982. (The similarities are pretty glaring but not in a bad way, think wheel of pain.) If you missed the beginning of Sony's conference you owe it to yourself to give this a listen.

https://youtu.be/GwofRzkROo4?t=29m30s
Yup.

My post from earlier in the thread:
I have to say this. The orchestra intro with a seamless transition into the the demo and another seamless transition into direct gameplay was FLAWLESS execution tonight by Sony.

I'm very impressed.

By far the best opening to any E3 I've ever seen.

Fat4all

Banned
Either that "play as Kratos the whole game" is a diversion similar to The Last Of Us or you raise your son like a Pokemon, because those experience points sure as heck weren't going to Kratos in that demo.

mbpm1

Either that "play as Kratos the whole game" is a diversion similar to The Last Of Us or you raise your son like a Pokemon, because those experience points sure as heck weren't going to Kratos in that demo.

Kratos gonna capture all the Norse gods

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Frankly it looks generic the graphics are cool though.

WinFonda

I think it'd be a pretty cool setup if the entirety of Asgard is the afterlife of God of War's greek mythos. Odin is essentially a reincarnated Zeus, Thor a reborn Hercules, Loki a reborn Apollo, etc.

It would also explain Kratos's new family somewhat, which would make them not a new son or wife but his old family reborn.

Whether or not they're able to recall their past lives could make for interesting story beats.

Razgreez

Come on...it's not what I'm talking about.
If the kid dies/kidnapped or something and it'll serve as a reason for a god murder spree I'll be satisfied. But if it'll be like TLOU...well...that's what I was talking about.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards TLoU right now, haha. Up to Cory to surprise us. The kid clearly has some ice powers though so those would be interesting to explore.

It could, quite quickly, come to a point where you're not handholding the kid but he's strong enough to hold his own and you're effectively partners and this journey is not simply about getting him to that point but some greater objective. Although kratos did kill his last protege by mistake as well (fighting him in the dark)

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
This was really cool. Unexpected! I feel this was exactly what the GOW franchise needed! Anyone more impressed with the visuals? What we saw did look very good.

Skux

Enormous God of War fan, it's my favourite PlayStation franchise by far.

I liked the showing but it looks like a totally different game.

God of War as we knew it is dead I fear. I'm always up for change though so I'm excited for it... I'm just not expecting Kratos to be performing the kind of feats we've come to expect.

He looks a lot more human here, rather than demigod. Sure he does some crazy shit but he struggled against a single ogre sized monster. If this were old GoW he would have dismembered a kraken and murdered a mountain by now.

SDCowboy

Maybe he named the tot after him.

You play as Kratos the whole game because they are both named Kratos :O

Well I mean, did the trailer ever say the bearded guy who looks like Kratos, is Kratos? Or are we just assuming? I was pretty tired when it aired last night, so I don't remember.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cjxfk7JNNDI

QONVIyz.gif

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Maybe he named the tot after him.

You play as Kratos the whole game because they are both named Kratos :O

But the boy's name is Charlie.

The Giant tries to tell the kid something with "wait" and Kratos is very adamant that he finishes him off fast.
So my theories:
- Kratos raises the son against the will of Valhalla, so he pissed of some gods
- The son is a god/half-god
- The "son" does not know about this
- "Now you are ready for a new beginning" seems to be a trailer-line, not a line that will actually be featured in the game. It either means the soft reboot of the franchise or indeed that we will play as the son (and SSM is lying at this point to not spoil the surprise)

ActWan

Well I mean, did the trailer ever say the bearded guy who looks like Kratos, is Kratos? Or are we just assuming? I was pretty tired when it aired last night, so I don't remember.

It's him, there's no real question about it. Same "tatoos", scars, even marks from the blades of chaos. He also uses "Spartan Rage", wears same shit on his shoulder and has the same voice actor (?)

SDCowboy

It's him, there's no real question about it. Same "tatoos", scars, even marks from the blades of chaos. He also uses "Spartan Rage", wears same shit on his shoulder and has the same voice actor (?)

It just seems odd that the exp was gained when the son used the bow.

He looks a lot more human here, rather than demigod. Sure he does some crazy shit but he struggled against a single ogre sized monster. If this were old GoW he would have dismembered a kraken and murdered a mountain by now.

I always wanted Kratos to return. I said an older and wiser interpretation of the character after the events of the original trilogy would be a good move - and that's exactly what I got.

But while I love they are taking risks and commend them for making something that feels fresh, it's lost something (based on this tiny preview).

God of War is a power-trip and I've never felt so strong as when I was tearing stuff apart with Kratos.

This looks like a radical departure. The gameplay itself wasn't exactly inspiring either. Different isn't always better.

I will buy it no doubt but this looks less gratifying to me.

Just to add, I'm sure this will be great and am excited but something tells me, people who loved the combat from the originals might be left out in the cold.

Edit: It's not Carson is it? Unless my ears are playing tricks on me.

I've finally caught up on this. As someone who had grown tired of that asshole Kratos adolescent bullshit, I'm actually interested in the game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Generic... Lol WAT? which part looks generic to you? If this game played exactly like GOW games from the past, now that's generic.
See to me it just looks like yet another slow methodical melee combat that seemingly every new game is. The camera angle too. You seriously didn't look at that and immediately see it as just another walkin around with an AI person in a static environment game? It seemed like a pretty contrived experience. W/e to each his own, we'll see how the shipping game is in the end.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The Giant tries to tell the kid something with "wait" and Kratos is very adamant that he finishes him off fast.
So my theories:
- "Now you are ready for a new beginning" seems to be a trailer-line, not a line that will actually be featured in the game. It either means the soft reboot of the franchise or indeed that we will play as the son (and SSM is lying at this point to not spoil the surprise)

Ugh. Don't want that last bit to happen.

Shifty

Wat.

I'm having a hard time parsing this.

I think I'd probably be okay with it if they just let the greek stuff go. 'Spartan Rage' has no place in norse mythology.

I want Last of Us with Dad Kratos yes. lol

I'm beginning to feel like a dinosaur.

So many games seem to be over the shoulder 3rd person, post apocalyptic, mutant zombie sneak and kill with some suspense thrown in.

I've been looking forward to a good old hack em up with no story that needs to be embellished on barring a straight forward plot, just something you can pick up, feel grossly overpowered and brutalise some pixels. GoW has always offered that.

Sonys conference today had a number of games where any of their protagonists could simply be dropped into any of their environments and nobody would have been any the wiser.

It just seems odd that the exp was gained when the son used the bow.

You probably level up your son because he is a companion with combat skills. Could be a cool expansion of what ND did with Ellie, where you are actively picking abilities and leveling up your companion.

He's Kratos, look at the scar on the belly

I actually missed that. So it's the same Kratos just later on in life in a different region?
I thought it was a do-over of the original series in a different setting.

You probably level up your son because he is a companion with combat skills. Could be a cool expansion of what ND did with Ellie, where you are actively picking abilities and leveling up your companion.

Could make sense since he told the boy to shoot the troll, maybe you can prompt him in fights

Skux

I actually missed that. So it's the same Kratos just later on in life in a different region?
I thought it was a do-over of the original series in a different setting.

Could make sense since he told the boy to shoot the troll, maybe you can prompt him in fights

It's been confirmed as a sequel to GoW. So somehow they'll explain the transition between Greek and Norse mythology.

SDCowboy

Could be cool. Especially if the campaign takes place over years and the son ages.

Can you play as a female Kratos? Any word?

I know you're taking the piss, but the difference is that if you want to play as a female protagonist in a Sony game there's a fair amount of choice old and new, from Gravity Rush, Heavenly Sword, Beyond: Two Souls and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Nintendo, despite talking the talk a great deal, haven't actually introduced any new female protagonists in a long time.

I asume that if Sony had only shown God of War, more people would be tweeting about Kratos' beard alone than about Zelda.

Would you prefer a series refuse to change and become stagnant on its seventh entry, or actually try to evolve the gameplay and characters? Besides, we've seen literally just ten minutes of footage from probably a 10 hour game, so it's stupidly early to be implying this isn't real God of War.

This game was Play of the Conference

mOHI4yd.gif

Ha ha, brilliant gif!

So my theories:

I did get the impression from Kratos' mannerisms and dialogue that he is not the boy's father.

Yeah, I thought the voice sounded a lot like the voice actor for Kratos (TC Carson, I think his name is?), but a lot more subdued and sounded older.

Sol1dus

Am I the only one that thinks it might tie into the older games somewhat? With the ending of 3,
he released hope. At the end of the trailer he mentions "a new world" and looks out into the distance.

So maybe Kratos is reincarnated and this is the new world after the end of GoW3

Anth1888

It's been confirmed as a sequel to GoW. So somehow they'll explain the transition between Greek and Norse mythology.

Yep, Cory said that's part of the main story but didn't want to discuss it at the moment. Who knows if they'll do an epilogue bridging the gap or unravel it through the story

See to me it just looks like yet another slow methodical melee combat that seemingly every new game is. The camera angle too. You seriously didn't look at that and immediately see it as just another walkin around with an AI person in a static environment game? It seemed like a pretty contrived experience. W/e to each his own, we'll see how the shipping game is in the end.

Very much this.

So many games seem similar to this just now, particularly on console.

I think it's why I'm pretty much out of gaming unless it's VR just now. Even something simple like holoball seems refreshing.

Zombies or third person seems to be the fashion at present.

Top Bottom