• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War hit's 2M+ sales on STEAM... according to SteamSpy

go33.png

Damn good for Sony. The ROI must be very good for this port.

Considering this game also released at essentially the same time as MH:R.. it's likely that it would have sold even more initially as well.

Will be interesting to see how the Uncharted Collection does!

Alphagear

That is an impressive number if true.

Wasn’t keen on PlayStation exclusives going to PC but if these numbers can be achieved then it’s good news for Sony.

Bloodborne is the game that PC gamers need to play. Let’s hope a port is on the way.

Well since I am a Patreon, let me tell u it's at around 2.2 actually. Give or take 5%..I'd say 1.9 to 2m I about right.
Can I ask you a question, can you let me know what FH4 and 5 each have?

Preferably with pics, as I'd like to show someone the closer estimates for that series.

Imagine how much copies of god of war ragnarok sony could sell if they launch it on PC and PlayStation.
Have to balance hardware and software sales but I think we’ll see games release on PC at a quicker cadence 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, and day and date in some cases.

I expect GT7, horizon, demon’s souls, to release on PC by years end.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Have to balance hardware and software sales but I think we’ll see games release on PC at a quicker cadence 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, and day and date in some cases.

I expect GT7, horizon, demon’s souls, to release on PC by years end.
I would be shocked to anything quicker than 2 years in the next few years, unless Sony still can't produce any more PS5.

Remember that Sony/MS sell hardware at loss, the big money they make is selling games.

but hardware sells subscription, that's recurring revenue, far more important. Like right now, Sony's living off PS4 glory days, but that will come to an end at some point

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I enjoy talking about games I like. It was cool to visit the thread and see other gamers that enjoyed, and discussed it. One of my co-workers is a PC counterstrike nut and loved it. He liked it so much he's currently playing Days Gone.

Alphagear

If anything these figures will only encourage Sony to continue releasing Single Player exclusives on PC several years after console release.

Like people said above, to ensure it doesn’t affect hardware sales and encourage double dippers.

I reckon Sony’s Multiplayer GaaS games will get Day 1 releases on PC though.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
huh, imagine this game release day 1 on PC, i think the sales would be even higher.

I would be shocked to anything quicker than 2 years in the next few years, unless Sony still can't produce any more PS5.
It’s already clear they’ve missed their targets.

I fully expect that they’ll want to maximize their returns this year and next and it’s obvious that PC is a method of doing that.

Lol GoW sold over 3 million units in 3 days. They recouped their original development cost within a week.
I’m talking independently.

If you can pocket revenue from ps4 and ps5 and recoup development costs with just a PC version a few years later that is a game changer in terms of risks you can take and size of budgets for future games.

Throw in a God of War 1-3 remake using the current engine on ps4, ps5, and pc and that’s a considerable recoupment of development cost for Santa Monica.

Nah it’s the other way.

These impressive numbers ensure it is fine releasing several years after release while not affecting console hardware sales.

Also this encourages double dippers.
Double dippers? i do not know 1 single PC player who will buy a PS5 for just 1 game and than will buy that game again when it release on PC not one none lol

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This goes a long way towards recovering original development costs.

Sony will absolutely need to make PC a priority in their strategy going forward. And this would suggest that buying CD Projekt would greatly enhance that strategy.

Never even considered it but CDPR would be a good get for Sony. They're in a bad spot just like Activision was after the CP2077 fiasco. Very talented and large team. Have an established PC launcher / business.

Never even considered it but CDPR would be a good get for Sony. They're in a bad spot just like Activision was after the CP2077 fiasco. Very talented and large team. Have an established PC launcher / business.

I think it just makes too much sense. I think we'll maybe see some movement once the settlement is resolved.

It's too perfect a fit, though there might be hard feelings about the removal from the ps store and perhaps even some regulatory oversight regarding whether that drove the price down.

But I think salvaging that talented team and bringing them into PlayStation Studios just makes as much sense if not more so than Bungie.

For the price, I don't think any other purchase makes more sense.

like TakeTwo makes more sense, but they're obviously quite expensive. Capcom makes a lot of sense and is about the same price, but none of Capcom's franchises have quite the capacity to compete with the Witcher and Cyberpunk. Sony also has the support studios to help really turn around CDPR and get them on track with their games. Rebranding GOG just makes way too much sense if Sony plans on publishing more games on PC. Sony loses 30 percent of their revenue when publishing on Steam... God of War just sold 2 million copies on Steam, which is great but out of 100 million dollars in revenue, 30 million went to valve instead of Sony. Sony can publish their games early on GOG/PSN PC and then publish on steam at a later date, and maybe for cheaper on Steam. Or maybe they will just stop putting their games on Steam altogether.

ParaSeoul

This will accelerate the Playstation games coming to PC day 1 look at all the free money they could be getting
It did this launching 4 years after. Think their strategy is releasing the PC ports when a sequel is coming up on PS5. Getting people invested and hoping they won't wait another 4 years for the next port and just buy a PS5 to play it as soon as possible.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It did this launching 4 years after. Think their strategy is releasing the PC ports when a sequel is coming up on PS5. Getting people invested and hoping they won't wait another 4 years for the next port and just buy a PS5 to play it as soon as possible.

Yeah, running out to the store with PS5s lining the shelves to pick one up before Days Gone 2 comes out.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Why would they though? Why not just wait for the inevitable PC port?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why would they though? Why not just wait for the inevitable PC port?
Because people might not want to wait for 2-3 years, hoping the game will eventually release, to play the sequel and see what happens next in the story.

I already see many posts on Reddit that a PC user just finished God of War and is so hyped for Ragnarok that they bought a PlayStation.

Double dippers? i do not know 1 single PC player who will buy a PS5 for just 1 game and than will buy that game again when it release on PC not one none lol
So the PC only crowd is refusing to buy these ports because they…release a couple years later? I don’t think you have any real data to backup your point, other than some bitterness towards Sony’s strategy.

If the PC releases have anything improved upon graphically or whatever, double dipping is guaranteed to an extent. You’re not right to think all gamers purchase one platform to game on exclusively.

No the PC only crown won't Double dip as in they won't buy a PS5 for just 1 or 2 Sony Exclusive game but they will buy the game if it comes to PC that was my point they won't buy the console but they will buy the game if it come on PC meaning even if Sony release games on PC day 1 it won't hurt PS5 sales cause most if not all PC player will never buy a console just for 1 or 2 games

Top Bottom