• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War hit's 2M+ sales on STEAM... according to SteamSpy

Gamerguy84

The disc version of PS5 is already making profit on hardware. The discless version... well good luck finding one.
Crazy lots of people got a digital version today. Target had a massive drop of digital. It was weird to see so many when they have been a unicorn.

Kerotan

Never even considered it but CDPR would be a good get for Sony. They're in a bad spot just like Activision was after the CP2077 fiasco. Very talented and large team. Have an established PC launcher / business.
I think their market cap is around 4BN. Seems a bit over priced and that's about half what it used to be. The company receives a stupid amount of government grants and help from Poland. If sony bought them and wanted that to continue they'd have to leave them operate like they're their own entity.

Ive been playing the game for a week now and its an amazing game. Best Ive played in the last years. Attention to detail is superb. The Quality of the port is top notch. If all the PS to PC games are going to be like this, were in for a treat.

I think their market cap is around 4BN. Seems a bit over priced and that's about half what it used to be. The company receives a stupid amount of government grants and help from Poland. If sony bought them and wanted that to continue they'd have to leave them operate like they're their own entity.
Damn you weren't lying, almost $5B market cap for... basically Witcher? I guess GOG too but GOG doesn't seem to be very profitable.

elbourreau

Ron Swanson Kratos Dancing GIF by PlayStation

Damn you weren't lying, almost $5B market cap for... basically Witcher? I guess GOG too but GOG doesn't seem to be very profitable.
You're crazy. They had like 300 million in profit last year. The Witcher and Cyberpunk have tremendous value.

A Witcher 1 remake would probably sell 10-15+ million across PS4/PS5/PC.

At 70 dollars a pop that is 700 million to 1.05 billion dollars in revenue...

Last edited:

Kerotan

You're crazy. They had like 300 million in profit last year. The Witcher and Cyberpunk have tremendous value.

A Witcher 1 remake would probably sell 10-15+ million across PS4/PS5/PC.

At 70 dollars a pop that is 700 million to 1.05 billion dollars in revenue...
Well the time to buy them would be now while the value has slumped so much.

Xmengrey

I would be shocked to anything quicker than 2 years in the next few years, unless Sony still can't produce any more PS5.
2 years makes no sense especially since the window is getting much smaller.
Horizon Forbidden West is in the NVIDIA leak.
2 years for every game would put them at the nearing end of the generation still porting PS5 games when they will likely want to do day and date with the PS6.

With regards to CDPR, afaik they don't own the Witcher IP. That's why I don't get why they were worth $10b at one time. Sounds hilariously overrated.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because people might not want to wait for 2-3 years, hoping the game will eventually release, to play the sequel and see what happens next in the story.

I already see many posts on Reddit that a PC user just finished God of War and is so hyped for Ragnarok that they bought a PlayStation.
"I've seen five people on Reddit saying they buy a PS5. Really hardcore gamers I'm sure of it. That's many"

*Steam has 120 million active users on a monthly basis*

Theres people who buys a console for the exclusives, but the majority of pc gamers won't. Inferior hardware, inferior way to play.

Plus pc gaming has more games than xbox and PlayStation together. They've waited what 2 or 3 years for god of war.

I'm sure most of them can wait. It makes more sense to upgrade your rig for 499 or buy a shit load of games for 499 than suddenly becoming a console player.

God of War sales shows that at least 2 million players waited.

And then there's the rest who simply doesn't care about the game.

sircaw

Banned
"I've seen five people on Reddit saying they buy a PS5. Really hardcore gamers I'm sure of it. That's many"

*Steam has 120 million active users on a monthly basis*

Theres people who buys a console for the exclusives, but the majority of pc gamers won't. Inferior hardware, inferior way to play.

Plus pc gaming has more games than xbox and PlayStation together. They've waited what 2 or 3 years for god of war.

I'm sure most of them can wait. It makes more sense to upgrade your rig for 499 or buy a shit load of games for 499 than suddenly becoming a console player.

God of War sales shows that at least 2 million players waited.

And then there's the rest who simply doesn't care about the game.
I do wonder how many of those pc users on steam have on par or superior hardware compared to say a ps5.

I understand there are 120 million users on steam but how many of them can actually play the game with their setup.

Any guesses to that number?

The_Mike

I do wonder how many of those pc users on steam have on par or superior hardware compared to say a ps5.

I understand there are 120 million users on steam but how many of them can actually play the game with their setup.

Any guesses to that number?
God of war requires a geforce 960 as a minimum. A GPU from 2015.

According to this, there's many people capable of actually running the game.

27 percent has gtx 10 series.
17 percent has gtx 16 series
16 percent has rtx 20 series
3 percent has rtx 30 series.

All these cards can run god of war.

sircaw

Banned

so that's like 63% of 120 million so that's like err 75 million.

incase that's wrong, Maths was never my strong point "lollipop_disappointed:

Midn1ght

so that's like 63% of 120 million so that's like err 75 million.

incase that's wrong, Maths was never my strong point "lollipop_disappointed:
That would be correct.

Also, the 120 million figure is from 2020 when peak concurrent users was oscillating between 19M and 24M.
2021 was 24M-27M and so far in 2022 we've had peaks at over 29M. We're gonna see them reach 30M concurrent users probably this year.

I wouldn't be surprise if Steam has around 140 million active users now.

Deserved success for a very, very, good game.

Honest truth is I cannot think of a game of its type that flows so well, its a masterpiece of pacing and content balancing.
Loved it and totally deserved all the hype, but not having a way to just quickly drop from short climbs was annoying. Also I hated the chaos blades after the weighty axe. Legit only pulled them out for focus attacks on boss fights. Preferred fists on the dudes the axe couldn't hurt.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If anything they will bank on double dippers this way while not removing value from their hardware platform.

The only thing that may accelerate PC releases is if they can't produce enough consoles for a long time.

It literally makes perfect sense to wait at least a year between releases. It makes the tail of the selling of the game longer, which can only be a great thing for Sony. Why blow your load on all the sales a game in the first 3 months, when a great game can sell for 2 years?

Plus waiting a 1 or two allows the porting team to take pure advantage of any and all PC advancements at that time. This PC version is 100% a better PC game, than what would have came out in 2018. NO DOUBT about it.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Incredible game, i hope it sells even more so that other games can follow. This is big W for gamers and Sony.

Last edited:
This goes a long way towards recovering original development costs.

Sony will absolutely need to make PC a priority in their strategy going forward. And this would suggest that buying CD Projekt would greatly enhance that strategy.

The original dev costs were paid back yonks ago multiple times over by the PS4 sales alone. What are you on about?

And lol at anyone buying CD Project Red. Did you sleep through the Cyberpunk fiasco?

The original dev costs were paid back yonks ago multiple times over by the PS4 sales alone. What are you on about?

And lol at anyone buying CD Project Red. Did you sleep through the Cyberpunk fiasco?
My point is that if they can recover dev costs with just the pc releases, the console releases become pure profit. It means that releasing on PC is a no brainer to the point where you don’t have to fear games bombing.

You realize their stock price is significantly lower as a result and it’s now the perfect time to buy them.

My point is that if they can recover dev costs with just the pc releases, the console releases become pure profit. It means that releasing on PC is a no brainer to the point where you don’t have to fear games bombing.

Their games generated multiple times their dev costs in revenue on the PS4 alone. There was no fear of their games bombing anyway.

You realize their stock price is significantly lower as a result and it’s now the perfect time to buy them.
Sony's stock price is lower (than what) as a result of them putting games on PC?

WTF? You've completely lost me here.

Last edited:
Their games generated multiple times their dev costs in revenue on the PS4 alone. There was no fear of their games bombing anyway.

Sony's stock price is lower (than what) as a result of them putting games on PC?

WTF? You've completely lost me here.
I’m not talking about any specific game. And yes, there is always concerns that a game doesn’t make back its development costs.

Cd Projekts stock price… how are you struggling here.

yurinka

Sony might need to port some games to the switch.

Unless they plan on releasing their own portable. I dont see why cant they port GOW1-3 to the switch.
Their PC games will be available on Steamdeck and the other PC portables/hybrids.

They plan to release Bungie games on rival consoles like Switch, not PS Studios games.

No the PC only crown won't Double dip as in they won't buy a PS5 for just 1 or 2 Sony Exclusive game but they will buy the game if it comes to PC that was my point they won't buy the console but they will buy the game if it come on PC meaning even if Sony release games on PC day 1 it won't hurt PS5 sales cause most if not all PC player will never buy a console just for 1 or 2 games
The PS owners buy around 14 games on average for the console, not 1 or 2.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Well yes if you look at the percentages it would only make sense since there are so many PCs on Steam.

There are more PCs on Steam with better specs than a PS5 than PS5s sold though. Those are the numbers that matter, not grandmas solitaire PC.

Great point. People tend to not put those percentages into perspective.

The_Mike

Err...No. The vast majority of PC gamers or at least Steam users have hardware that is vastly inferior to a PS5.

Doesn't matter if the inferior hardware can run the game just fine.

Last edited:

Rykan

Doesn't matter if the inferior hardware can run the game just fine.
Sure. I'm just correcting your post in which you claimed that the majority of PC Gamers have better hardware than a PS5, which they don't.
Edit: Corrected

Last edited:

The_Mike

Well small correction on my side: You claimed the vast majority of PC Gamers, not owners. Not that it changes anything because it's still wrong, but there you go.

Well 63 percent of all users can play the game just fine, which makes the amount of players who can run it the majority

Top Bottom