• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War hit's 2M+ sales on STEAM... according to SteamSpy

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Remember that Sony/MS sell hardware at loss, the big money they make is selling games.
Only at the start and their big money is selling PS+ subs to 48 million users, and getting a 30% cut from every digital purchases. Or 10% from every physical copy sold on the console. Warzone makes $5 million a day. around 60% of which is on PS. That's 3 million a day on PS. Sony keeps 30% of that. They are basically making a million a day from Warzone. That's $365 million a year.

2 million GOW sales on steam gets them $90 million after valve's cut. Pretty good short term. Probably funded the entire dev of GOW Ragnorak and half of the marketing budget. Long term, who knows.

tusharngf

Yikes, this will encourage more pc porting by Jim Cockney Ryan

PC is more like an open platform and not owned by anyone. They are getting free sales outside their domain. They sold the game for a higher price as well. Jim will port more games. This is a no-brainer. Sony is having great momentum and record-breaking revenue.

ratburger

Sony loses 30 percent of their revenue when publishing on Steam... God of War just sold 2 million copies on Steam, which is great but out of 100 million dollars in revenue, 30 million went to valve instead of Sony.

Steam takes a lower percentage of the revenue as the game hits certain sales targets:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/30...rketplace-revenue-split-new-rules-competition

That will remain the case for the first $10 million in sales a game maker or publisher earns. For all sales between $10 million and $50 million, the split goes to 25 percent. And for every sale after the initial $50 million, Steam will take just a 20 percent cut.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If we see another 2 quarters where ps5 slips behind PS4 we will see god of war come to pc within a year I bet. It’s going to be interesting to see how horizons sales go on ps5. It will be amazing if it can hit 2.5 to 3 million sales on ps5 alone considering the user base.

Sentenza

It did this launching 4 years after. Think their strategy is releasing the PC ports when a sequel is coming up on PS5. Getting people invested and hoping they won't wait another 4 years for the next port and just buy a PS5 to play it as soon as possible.
A lethal combo of this

- Sony will never port games to PC.
- Sony is porting the Quantic Dream games because it is an investor in Epic and the exclusivity money paid for development. Don't expect more ports.
- Sony is porting Horizon Zero Dawn because most of the work has been done on account of Death Stranding using the same engine and it wants to drum up interest in the sequel. Don't expect ports of anything released relatively recently.
- Sony is porting Days Gone because it underperformed. Don't expect ports of titles in a successful franchise, like Uncharted.
- Sony is porting Uncharted because it's dormant franchise. Don't expect ports of titles in a successful and active franchise, like God of War.
- Sony is porting God of War (2018) because it's not a cross-gen game. Don't expect ports of games that are also available on PS5.
- Sony is porting Sackboy because it is a cross-gen game. Don't expect ports of PS5 exclusives. <--- We are here now.
- Sony is porting [PS5 exclusive] because [reason]. Don't expect day-one releases.
- I can't believe Sony is doing day-one releases! I'm cancelling my pre-orders!

plus this:

PDM7vbu.jpg

Last edited:

DJ12

If we see another 2 quarters where ps5 slips behind PS4 we will see god of war come to pc within a year I bet. It’s going to be interesting to see how horizons sales go on ps5. It will be amazing if it can hit 2.5 to 3 million sales on ps5 alone considering the user base.
haha

what a take.

they sell as many PS5s as they can get in the channel, within hours of them being available most of the time.

I guess Sony are so disappointed with not having a console sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold.

Good observation. And without console sales, forget that sweet PS+ money.
Exactly. Sony is about to release and change their subscription services as well. That's where they make the most money. PC is a nice extra for them. I'm sure multiplayer games will be released on PC day one though. Probably starting with Factions

Haggard

Banned
And they barely put any resources into the port at all.
The amount of "free extra money" Sony is making here is amazing. I hope the officials have a close eye on this revenue and take it as an incentive for more ports.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Fixed it for you.

Maybe even better to just port the games of the previous generation.

Sony doesn't have Nintendo's magic scroll of infinite full pricing. They get the vast majority of their value from the first 6 to 12 months, then it's all about purchases at discount. There's no point in holding on any longer than 12 months, and it will keep the ball rolling much faster that way.

arvfab

Banned
Sony doesn't have Nintendo's magic scroll of infinite full pricing. They get the vast majority of their value from the first 6 to 12 months, then it's all about purchases at discount. There's no point in holding on any longer than 12 months, and it will keep the ball rolling much faster that way.
Agree on the sales part, but after that, could be good incentive for PS+/Now. So maybe not 4 years, but 2 might be minimum.

ClosBSAS

I honestly don't trust Steamspy numbers that much. I'll stick with the number of reviews as a sales estimate.

A 30k review game (Days Gone) outselling a 70k review game (Horizon) is highly improbable. That's why I'm also skeptical about GoW outselling FH5.
not at all, steamspys new algorythm is actually poretty accurate. horizon had a terrihble launch, issues fixed or not, it had a shitty ass launch with many bugs. and its price was raised before it came out. steamspy numbers are more accurate than you think and the fact that days gone outseld horizon on PC speaks vfolumes of a what good port can do to sales. also, ppl seem to like zombie games more on pc.

while i get your concern, theres nothingt wrong with days gone outselling horizon on pc.

Midn1ght

I never cared about the PC ports but I don't think they'd ever do it day one. Look at what Rockstar does,console version first then PC. They know people will double dip.
That's assuming every Sony game will sell 20+ million in their first years which is not guaranteed, specially with them selling less consoles than before due to ship shortage.

Look a Ratchet Rift Apart: Fantastic game, universally acclaimed, gorgeous looking from a great team, etc... PS5 Only.
As of June 2021, it sold 1.1 million copies. Even if they are between 2 and 3 million now, I think the idea of releasing day and date or 6 months later on PC will increasingly become necessary if they want to make the most money possible from every game.

Returnal sold 560.000 copies as of June 2021. I don't think this game is a system seller but it sure as hell deserved a bigger audience and sale number. I'm sure it will do well if it ever comes to PC but how much more could they have make if it was released simultaneously on PC? I think Sony will ask themself that question and test the idea at some point.

Last edited:

Three

A 30k review game (Days Gone) outselling a 70k review game (Horizon) is highly improbable. That's why I'm also skeptical about GoW outselling FH5.
Lol, mate, I told you before that racing games in general don't do huge numbers. You just laughed at me. There is absolutely no reason to be skeptical that God of War outsold Forza Horizon 5.

Three

Gran Turismo is Playstation's biggest franchise. Forza is becoming or maybe already is Xbox's biggest franchise. Idk about that.
Gran Turismo has had 15M players. God of War sold near 20M copies. How is GT their biggest franchise?

Edit: Oh I see what you're doing. You're going back to the 90s.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is Playstation's biggest franchise. Forza is becoming or maybe already is Xbox's biggest franchise. Idk about that.
Gran Turismo is no longer Sony's biggest franchise. The only way you can come up with this is through historic performance.

If you look at performance from the last 5-10 years, many other franchises have surpassed Gran Turismo.

Papacheeks

Banned
short term revenue, sure.....but what you can't tell just yet, and is not as easy to measure, is whether this will affect people's decision on buying PlayStation hardware in the future
Short terms revenue is now close to $100,000,000 for being out less than a month?

You don't think this game will continue to sell on steam? Remember steam summer/winter sales are huge this game will chart and be in top sold for some time throughout it's run. SHort term revenue?

You are fucking clueless.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is no longer Sony's biggest franchise. The only way you can come up with this is through historic performance.

If you look at performance from the last 5-10 years, many other franchises have surpassed Gran Turismo.
Tbf, GTS was basically the worst Gran Turismo ever, at least at release. We'll see how GT7 goes, I have high hopes.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Nah it’s the other way.

These impressive numbers ensure it is fine releasing several years after release while not affecting console hardware sales.

Also this encourages double dippers.
You guys love to "wish" the PC doesn't get day and date PS exclusives. It's written all over your texts. For the umteinth time, they didn't intentionally wait years to release these ports to PC. The decision to port to PC was *RECENT* and that is why there was a delay. In the future, day and date will be a reality whether you guys like it or not.

Tbf, GTS was basically the worst Gran Turismo ever, at least at release. We'll see how GT7 goes, I have high hopes.

And GT6 didn't perform well either.

I think GT7 could be a return to form, but we'll have to see. It comes out in less than a month and we haven't had much if anything in the sense of hands-on previews...

Shmunter

You guys love to "wish" the PC doesn't get day and date PS exclusives. It's written all over your texts. For the umteinth time, they didn't intentionally wait years to release these ports to PC. The decision to port to PC was *RECENT* and that is why there was a delay. In the future, day and date will be a reality whether you guys like it or not.
Why not release titles currently in active development instead of digging up the graves and spending time on 4 yo titles?

Sentenza

Why not release titles currently in active development instead of digging up the graves and spending time on 4 yo titles?
Because it will be a gradual process.
They are getting people used to it (and they are establishing a stable pipeline for themselves after the first timid attempts, anyway), but it will ramp up quickly at some point.
Especially since they'll realize that day-and-date ports will pay off way more than late ones years down the line.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Because it will be a gradual process.
They are getting people used to it (and they are establishing a stable pipeline for themselves after the first timid attempts, anyway), but it will ramp up quickly at some point.
Especially since they'll realize that day-and-date ports will pay off way more than late ones years down the line.
Have you confirmed this philosophy with Jim?

Top Bottom