• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War interview, a few new details

joeblow

The developer could have a maturely done love-making scene (as opposed to a sex scene) where, in a flashback, Kratos and the kid's mother conceive the boy.

Instead of inputting raunchy moves, Kratos can be made to whisper sweet nothings in her ear, caress her shoulder, stroke her hair, gently tickle her, etc.

Combined with conservative camera angles, that could be handled in a way that people from both the Krexit and Kremain factions would likely support.

bunkitz

For me, definitely adventure. I remember playing through 1 and being excited to see "what happens next" in 2, and eagerly anticipating seeing where you end up going and who you end up fighting for 3. I think that the crazy epic action is part of that adventure, though. Looking at all the little tidbits and discoveries in the trailer, I'm already getting this sense of "how are we gonna fight that?" and "I can't wait to see what that is doing / how it pisses off Kratos."

Cool. That's really nice to hear. I didn't get to play the first game, so I don't know if it felt different and more adventurous than the rest of the series, but looking past the epic action set pieces, then yeah. "Adventure" is one of the first things that would pop into my head.

I'm really excited that this adventure is going to have more exploration instead of just going from one place to the next. This will allow us to really take the world in, so to speak. That world being Norse Mythology is just going to be amazing.
So instead, of having a mature sex scene thats emotional and serious and God forbid 'tasteful' we'll just not have it all together.

You were saying how they were a staple of the series, but God of War's sex mini-games have always been these Easter Egg-y types that were just for fun. That, obviously, no longer has a place in the direction the franchise is going. A "mature sex scene that's emotional and serious" is very different from that, and I don't see any reason why that should even be included in the game. Not having anything like that doesn't feel like political correctness at all for me.

Vaga

So instead, of having a mature sex scene thats emotional and serious and God forbid 'tasteful' we'll just not have it all together.

Lol what? Whoa there Jimmy you just went 0-100 from sex mini games to a full on sexual intercourse in 2 seconds. Not that I have anything against sexual stuff of any kind in any medium but gamers bodies are not ready for this yet, age not being the factor here. But this is another matter not related to this thread, what is important is there won't be any tacky, goofy stuff added just for the sake of it.

I'm surprised though how the missing combo meter is overlooked (not that I care about it also), being much more of a staple in GoW history than silly minigames.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm wondering if they can maintain framerate with so many enemies on-screen at once. I don't think we'll see such sequences a lot. Mostly it could be just 10-15 enemies at best.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lol what? Whoa there Jimmy you just went 0-100 from sex mini games to a full on sexual intercourse in 2 seconds. Not that I have anything against sexual stuff of any kind in any medium but gamers bodies are not ready for this yet, age not being the factor here. But this is another matter not related to this thread, what is important is there won't be any tacky, goofy stuff added just for the sake of it.

I'm surprised though how the missing combo meter is overlooked (not that I care about it also), being much more of a staple in GoW history than silly minigames.

Combo meters are a vestige of early character action game design and the one in God of War was never integral to anything in the first place. The bonus you get for high number combos is more or less trivial. If they're cutting things out of GOW and starting with a new foundation, that's one of the things that's going to go, especially given the new pace and style of combat.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe Kratos takes his son aside during the game and shows him how to yank one out like his old man before going back on their murderous rampage.

Loudninja

Combo meters are a vestige of early character action game design and the one in God of War was never integral to anything in the first place. The bonus you get for high number combos is more or less trivial. If they're cutting things out of GOW and starting with a new foundation, that's one of the things that's going to go, especially given the new pace and style of combat.
Yeah never really got the point.

SilentRob

The developer could have a maturely done love-making scene (as opposed to a sex scene) where, in a flashback, Kratos and the kid's mother conceive the boy.

Instead of inputting raunchy moves, Kratos can be made to whisper sweet nothings in her ear, caress her shoulder, stroke her hair, gently tickle her, etc.

Combined with conservative camera angles, that could be handled in a way that people from both the Krexit and Kremain factions would likely support.

That is one of the worst ideas I have ever read on this board. But it would also be incredibly hilarious, so hey, I'm all for it :D

Never forget.

Cc2wSts.jpg

Oh god. I still remember the pain.

this sounds like the answer a m'lady would tell a woman he's attempting to woo about his idea for a game lmao I'm in if Kratos has a fedora and a My Little Pony t-shirt on.

It kinda bother me that all these interview with Corey and no one ever ask about Kratos old family. I think in one of the interview, Corey mention that Kratos is raised in this really strict military condition as a spartan that he's not sure how to raise a kid. well, Kratos already had a kid before, it's a girl, and I don't think it's ever depicted that Kratos is a bad/abusive father (other than being tricked to kill them)

maybe raising a boy is different I guess.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It kinda bother me that all these interview with Corey and no one ever ask about Kratos old family. I think in one of the interview, Corey mention that Kratos is raised in this really strict military condition as a spartan that he's not sure how to raise a kid. well, Kratos already had a kid before, it's a girl, and I don't think it's ever depicted that Kratos is a bad/abusive father (other than being tricked to kill them)

Kratos had a wife and surely she did nearly 100% of the kid-raising. Also, she was a girl, so Kratos would have nothing to teach her because of strict gender roles. Now he's a single father of a boy, so now he's responsible and has to teach survival and combat skills.

wapplew

This showed how much people care about the story of Kratos. I bet most of them forgot about it.

New infos from the Gameplay Engineering Lead and the combat designer:

Shroff and Sheth also discuss the changes in gameplay. There are two styles of combat: melee with the axe and hand-to-hand. The axe will have ranged and up close uses, as seen in the demo, but will also be beneficial outside of combat in exploration and looting. However, what is shown is nothing compared to the wide variety of attacks to be experienced within the game’s full arsenal.

Also of note is the slow-motion wrestling attack versus the troll. According to the devs, and evident in the demo, it’s a result of Kratos’ rage manifested over time and unleashed. It appears to be a cool way of tying together the narrative and the gameplay.

"The troll is a big enemy, so they pull back the camera." So expect an adapted situation for larger enemies.

Kratos had a wife and surely she did nearly 100% of the kid-raising. Also, she was a girl, so Kratos would have nothing to teach her because of strict gender roles. Now he's a single father of a boy, so now he's responsible and has to teach survival and combat skills.

Even from the demo, it's clear he left a lot of the parenting to the mother, even for stuff like hunting. He's clearly a father figure who's not absent... but still one who's barely around at home, and he's forced to take up a larger part of parenting now that something has happened to mom that he's doing the whole "the knife is yours now" stint.

I'm somewhat sad GoW is no longer hack and slash

Lol this opinion makes no sense and I keep seeing it from different people.

It says right at the top that there are people from the first game working on this... Also its basically the same team from GoW3 as well...

Lol "God of War isn't an action game anymore" and its made by the same people who created the franchise.

Two Words

Really glad to be seeing the end of this seething ball of rage. By the end of the 3rd game, he was a character with no redeeming value.

No Redeeming Value

I still think that moment is pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure they keyframed the animation in GoW3 and that moment is probably the only moment in the GoW series that I felt actually captured Kratos' emotion.

Sid

Lol this opinion makes no sense and I keep seeing it from different people.

It says right at the top that there are people from the first game working on this... Also its basically the same team from GoW3 as well...

Lol "God of War isn't an action game anymore" and its made by the same people who created the franchise.
It's not, also the game is a major departure from the traditional formula and that is something which can't be denied.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To me this is what they tried to do in Ascension.

With Kratos I mean.

Well yeah. I think 'humanizing' Kratos has been a big priority for them after the complaints they always got during the trilogy.

But Ascension just shit the bed and never made anything about it worth telling. I remember thinking it was absolutely pointless to have that 'before he was a god, he was a man!" tag line for Ascension when it was a prequel, since he obviously was just as bad when he was a bit younger.

I thought ascension was going to be about him as a spartan warrior human at best to tell that story, so when they revealed it to be another story after he became the Ghost and literally did nothing to actually make him sympathetic as a character, it was just sigh inducing.

I really think this game has the potential to make Kratos as humanized as he was in the first game. In God of War 1, if they had ended the series like that, he would not have even been a bad guy, cause his character arc around his family had closed with Aries. But then Jaffe left and everything spiraled into Kratos being rewritten into being a massive ball of rage who never learned anything and slaughtered people for fun.

Sid

Well yeah. I think 'humanizing' Kratos has been a big priority for them after the complaints they always got during the trilogy.

But Ascension just shit the bed and never made anything about it worth telling. I remember thinking it was absolutely pointless to have that 'before he was a god, he was a man!" tag line for Ascension when it was a prequel, since he obviously was just as bad when he was a bit younger.

I thought ascension was going to be about him as a spartan warrior human at best to tell that story, so when they revealed it to be another story after he became the Ghost and literally did nothing to actually make him sympathetic as a character, it was just sigh inducing.

I really think this game has the potential to make Kratos as humanized as he was in the first game. In God of War 1, if they had ended the series like that, he would not have even been a bad guy, cause his character arc around his family had closed with Aries. But then Jaffe left and everything spiraled into Kratos being rewritten into being a massive ball of rage who never learned anything and slaughtered people for fun.
IIRC Jaffe was the creative director of GoW II, I think if there were only 3 games nobody would have bitched so much about Kratos.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Also, i think its mandatory that we see the mom at some point. She is a hunter and taught the son how to use magic and shit, she has to have been someone important. I refuse to accept that they offed her since they said she was supposed to be important to the story

Corpsepyre

Banned
Let's hope they make the FOV a little better in the final game. Pull away a little so we can get to see more of the world around you

Top Bottom