• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - No epic boss fights due to shoulder-cam and setting? Guessss again!

Disgraced

I just fucking love, love, love that fact that it's still the same God Damn Kratos who just moved to Norse land. That better not change. I can dig a trend of rather simple, ultraviolent, old ass game characters given more nuance in reboots, i.e. BJ Blazkowicz, Doomguy, Lo Wang, to a lesser extent Lara Croft & a lot of the Mortal Kombat cast, and now Kratos.

MaxHouse

Banned
I just fucking love, love, love that fact that it's still the same God Damn Kratos who just moved to Norse land. That better not change. I can dig a trend of rather simple, ultraviolent, old ass game characters given more nuance in reboots, i.e. BJ Blazkowicz, Doomguy, Lo Wang, to a lesser extent Lara Croft & a lot of the Mortal Kombat cast, and now Kratos.

agreed....I would of probably been less interested if it was a reboot

Disgraced

agreed....I would of probably been less interested if it was a reboot
Yep, in this case I don't know if I'd feel a pure reboot as much either. The concept of geographically swapping mythologies is just too stupid-wicked-cool, not to mention old, tired, and tender Kratos.

Sigmaah

If this game didn't continue with Kratos I woulda been tight.

Thank god they did, shits gonna be good regardless of the whole camera angle.

I will miss my slashing though.

dmr87

wVsBEYS.gif

Noticed that one yesterday when I went through a higher quality trailer. Nice to see that there are more awesome hidden in there.

HussiZooT

Funny how I actually wanted a reboot and not a continuation of Kratos. But seeing the change they've brought to his character and how that short gameplay demo showed so much potential for character development, I'm more than happy that they're continuing his story.

Also, did anyone notice the snow deformation? I think it's the best I've ever seen in any game.

Snow%20Deformation-X2.jpg

Sorry for the bad screengrab from YouTube.

MaxHouse

Banned
Yep, in this case I don't know if I'd feel a pure reboot as much either. The concept of geographically swapping mythologies is just too stupid-wicked-cool, not to mention old, tired, and tender Kratos.

Like i would never thought we would get an actual game

an actual video game where you play a Greek Spartan in Scandinavia fighting Norse Gods and creatures... I love it

for real though... I am pretty excited to see the next chapter in Kratos life...I wonder if his son knows of his greek past

Any Norse god related to fire? The demo boss had lava flowing out of him. Maybe an indication of his base of operations being a toasty place? Hades was hot. Wonder who these lava bleeding folks are in this icy land. Or could just be their thing.

Any Norse god related to fire? The demo boss had lava flowing out of him. Maybe an indication of his base of operations being a toasty place? Hades was hot. Wonder who these lava bleeding folks are in this icy land. Or could just be their thing.
Did you notice that lightning came from the boy's initial arrow at the troll?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Just before Kratos says 'find it' there is a branch coming from right to left in the shot and you can see two small creatures that look like lizards. Can someone gif that?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
is Kratos still wearing his Spartan dress...i thought he was..im just not sure

It also says 'Spartan rage'. Considering he's supposed to be dealing with a different mythology, you'd expect them to have changed that. I wonder what those 'series of events' are at the end of GOW3 that Cory has mentioned? A dragon would seem a pretty good alternative to Easy Jet. He certainly wouldn't fly Virgin Airlines.

MaxHouse

Banned
It also says 'Spartan rage'. Considering he's supposed to be dealing with a different mythology, you'd expect them to have changed that. I wonder what those 'series of events' are at the end of GOW3 that Cory has mentioned? A dragon would seem a pretty good alternative to Easy Jet. He certainly wouldn't fly Virgin Airlines.

well its the same Kratos...

bunkitz

It also says 'Spartan rage'. Considering he's supposed to be dealing with a different mythology, you'd expect them to have changed that. I wonder what those 'series of events' are at the end of GOW3 that Cory has mentioned?

Not really. Sure, we're gonna be dealing with Norse Mythology now, but that doesn't change Kratos' roots. He's still Spartan and his rage is still his... most identifiable quality? Yeah.

---

So, looking at the concept art now, it's clear we're going to have a huge adventure going to different places and amazing locales, just like in other God of War titles. It's just kind of a strange thought for me that he'd take his son with him like that, to all these exotic places. Then again, I suppose it isn't since he's here to "teach him how to be a god."

I wonder if we'll have a moment where either one of them's badly wounded, though. Kind of like in The Last of Us when Joel was.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Not really. Sure, we're gonna be dealing with Norse Mythology now, but that doesn't change Kratos' roots. He's still Spartan and his rage is still his... most identifiable quality? Yeah.

---

So, looking at the concept art now, it's clear we're going to have a huge adventure going to different places and amazing locales, just like in other God of War titles. It's just kind of a strange thought for me that he'd take his son with him like that, to all these exotic places. Then again, I suppose it isn't since he's here to "teach him how to be a god."

I wonder if we'll have a moment where either one of them's badly wounded, though. Kind of like in The Last of Us when Joel was.

We don't know if the mother of the son is dead. Perhaps it's a coming of age, road to redemption, rescue the princess story, and who's to say the son remains a boy throughout?

I doubt the camera will ever go above the character though since Kratos now can aim with his axe.
Past GoW games had no problems with changing the camera and controls to suit the encounter (i.e. low behind the back angle while hooked onto Hades, aiming with your hand to block Helios' light). And we already have confirmation that the camera will pull back for scale

Joeku

I don't know why, but this looks like Ragnar Lodbrok from Vikings to me.

Man, I love the little bit of old man fat Kratos has going on here. That's so good.

And yeah, I've no doubt that there will still be incredibly large-scale bosses in GoW PS4. It's still a God of War game, after all. They're just gonna stick some pathos in between them.

Past GoW games had no problems with changing the camera and controls to suit the encounter (i.e. low behind the back angle while hooked onto Hades, aiming with your hand to block Helios' light). And we already have confirmation that the camera will pull back for scale

For what it's worth, it was a major design decision of GoW 1/2 that Kratos always be completely visible on screen at all times. Only GoW3 changed that to the vast zoom-outs and closeups.

Loudninja

I do feel a more of a sense of scale with this giant enemy compare to other Gow games.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They seem more like lizards to me. You can notice 4 legs on the second one and maybe a tail.

It's just that the second one appears quite broad and the legs seem disproportionate for a lizard. I think they're legs. They form a blurry X, if you know what I mean. Someone on another forum mentioned a possum like creature in a tree just after the boy misses the deer but I can't find it.

---

The boy is probably the object of interest in the story just like Ellie in TLoU. The whole adventure is probably to bring the boy somewhere. Maybe to his mother is she's still alive.

IndustryX

Until I see actual gameplay footage and not kratos slowly hacking away with his tree axe on a skeleton, I'm dubious of everything they say. The exp, the ellie/elizabeth helper button, the dumb title despite it supposedly being a sequel, nothing here sounds right about GoW. Change is fine, but the DNA has been changed. Am I going to be able to grab onto a large enemy and the camera will just pan out as I press the right buttons to take it down? We went from a fps plague to a tps plague. The Last of Us was a mistake.

What is this post

Joeku

I imagine the boy will literally be an extension of your attacks like Elika in Prince of Persia.

I think it's super important that Square is the "Son Button" (AFAIK) instead of, say, a shoulder button or a direction on the d-pad. That will keep him front-and-center most of the game.

Man, I love the little bit of old man fat Kratos has going on here. That's so good.

And yeah, I've no doubt that there will still be incredibly large-scale bosses in GoW PS4. It's still a God of War game, after all. They're just gonna stick some pathos in between them.

For what it's worth, it was a major design decision of GoW 1/2 that Kratos always be completely visible on screen at all times. Only GoW3 changed that to the vast zoom-outs and closeups.
God of War 2 would change things up too. The silhouetted fight against the last Spartan, the griffin battle, zooming out as you crossed the chain connecting the Steeds, etc.)

Even God of War 1 when you went giant to fight Ares

Top Bottom