• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - No epic boss fights due to shoulder-cam and setting? Guessss again!

I second this: WHERE?!
19_banditcamp.png

Note: it doesn't seem to have the elephant husk things the troll has

And it's hard to tell with perspective but it looks way larger

Okay those gifs in the OP changed my opinion on this game from lukewarm to hyped. I want me some norse boss fights.

Only played GoW 1 and 2, should I just do 3 beforehand or are the PSP games and Ascension worth my time?

The trailer is Mind boggingly dense with hints and Easter eggs. Hope the full product can offer that. Creepy things flicking into view in the distance, the sort of Easter eggs you only notice on multiple play throughs

Loudninja

Epic bosses are confirmed, but I'm still concerned about the horde fights.
I mean, I need some of this:
gifs
GamesBeat: Is there any kind of limited amount of AI the son has where he can act on his own?

Barlog: Oh, yeah. Throughout combat—we weren’t really showing it, because this demo was intended to show a few other things. He’ll maneuver around the battlefield on his own. He’ll enter into fights and passively try to split the battlefield, try to control it. If you tell him to go over and attack that guy, he’ll draw that guy’s attention. When you start getting into groups of enemies, larger groups of enemies, and you want to focus on one enemy while a bunch of lesser targets try to distract you, he can help Kratos split the battlefield.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/18/s...-questions-about-the-amazing-god-of-war-demo/

Two Words

The deer kill scene is done really well. You can see how his son doesn't really know what to think or feel about it afterward and looks at Kratos unsure of what to do and sort of takes on Kratos' stoic demeanor.

BouncyFrag

Okay those gifs in the OP changed my opinion on this game from lukewarm to hyped. I want me some norse boss fights.

Only played GoW 1 and 2, should I just do 3 beforehand or are the PSP games and Ascension worth my time?
God of War 3 remastered is fantastic . The Ghost of Sparta entry, while shorter than the mainline games, is great too and best played on the ps3 via the remastered collection. Chains of Olympus is 'meh' but I liked it as you find out how Atlas got stuck with holding the world on his shoulders as he shows up again in GoW3. Ascension is kind of a mixed bag. I first tryed to play it after beating GoW3 but it felt 'off' in regards to the combat and annoying camera and put it back on the shelf. Months later I gave it another go and liked it even though I had no clue what the fuck was going on as the story progressed, lol.

cormack12

Gold Member
Theory time. Obviously I'm thinking the team will have to adapt certain parts of Norse Legends to fit the Kratos appearance in there. So I'll guess:

1. The mother: In Norse mythology, Skaði (sometimes anglicized as Skadi, Skade, or Skathi) is a jötunn and goddess associated with bowhunting, skiing, winter, and mountains. Skaði is described as having split up with Njörðr and as later having married the god Odin, and that the two produced many children together.
2. Kratos: In Norse mythology, Njörðr is a god among the Vanir. Njörðr, father of the deities Freyr and Freyja by his unnamed sister, was in an ill-fated marriage with the goddess Skaði. The original meaning of the name is contested, but it may be related to the Irish word nert which means "force" and "power". Odin asks Vafþrúðnir "from where Njörðr came to the sons of the Æsir," that Njörðr rules over quite a lot of temples and hörgrs (a type of Germanic altar), and further adds that Njörðr was not raised among the Æsir.
3. The boy: I'm not sure if the boy is actually destined to become a God or not, but given the direction these games take, I'd hazard a guess at Freyr or Loki, which would also give a little bit of credence to why he doesn't appear to be scared of 'Thor's hammer of lightning' when playing, and why he seems imbued by lightning (being a weather God). He also has that sensitive side to him that we've already seen evidenced. He's not like an angry, warlike child for example.

Ambiguities that would need adapting/addressing: Freyr was Njörðr's son from a previous incestuous marriage, that Skaði ?adopted?. Njörðr was considered a god of the sea, but I'm guessing this would be how Kratos would cross into Scandinavia anyway? He's also considered God of fishing and wealth etc.

How it could work
Odin is looking to found Valhalla and is seeing who is worthy to enter and take seat in the Great Halls. Kratos, not being true Æsir is immediately discounted. The boy discarded/discounted as being weak (possibly how he picked up the scars - via a trial of sorts??). Skaði is given a seat. Ether she chooses to abandon her son and Kratos for a place in Valhalla, or Odin takes her by force in order to give birth to godlike warriors worthy of Asgard.

Odin is no longer interested in Kratos or his son and chooses to keep them in exile, never to get near Valhalla, posting guards like the Troll, Valkyrie sentries and the shadow figure could be one of the guardians reporting back. What's interesting though if we go with the theory above is the incestuous relationship that bore Freyr - the sister being described as:

This shadowy goddess is attested in the Poetic Edda poem Lokasenna, recorded in the 13th century by an unknown source

Shadowy goddess like seen in the trailer? So, at this point we either have Kratos and his son trying to save Skaði. Or alternatively trying to prove that the boy deserves or is worthy of a place in Valhalla. At the moment, I'm guessing the boy is imbued with power by way of the runes on his arms. Weakly so. Maybe a young Thor gave him his scars and also transferred some of the lightning power into him a la 'Potter style'.

Kratos will never be accepted, but this journey is about gaining his son immortality and status as a God which is what Barlog actually says:

This game is about Kratos teaching his son how to be a god, and the.....

If it's only loosely based as well and the boy makes it to Valhalla, of course for the sake of God of War videogame lore, maybe Odin adopts/accepts him finally worthy. The boy becomes Loki and has the same indifferent and uneasy relationship with the Gods as Kratos did with the Greek Gods. He has a particularly strained relationship with Thor as they grow up due to the earlier skirmish. Kratos goes back into exile, passing the torch for future games?

That's the complicated version. The other version is they go to get their mum back and fuck shit up along the way.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Has anyone worked out what the shield is on the table yet? It looks silver with a fire red centre surrounded by a black circle.

Raylan

Banned

Ascension und especially GHOST OF SPARTA (PSP) are great!!!!

Tumle

Not really. Sure, we're gonna be dealing with Norse Mythology now, but that doesn't change Kratos' roots. He's still Spartan and his rage is still his... most identifiable quality? Yeah.

---

So, looking at the concept art now, it's clear we're going to have a huge adventure going to different places and amazing locales, just like in other God of War titles. It's just kind of a strange thought for me that he'd take his son with him like that, to all these exotic places. Then again, I suppose it isn't since he's here to "teach him how to be a god."

I wonder if we'll have a moment where either one of them's badly wounded, though. Kind of like in The Last of Us when Joel was.
Are we sure it's his son? He kind of talk about the boy's mother like they don't know each other that well.. Or that kratos haven't been there for most of his upbringing..

They're all worth playing in my opinion, but you can skip Chains of Olympus (it's the weakest).

Kinyou

If they really deliver huge enemies again, it should end up being even more impressive than before because of the perspective. The troll was already more intimidating than any cyclops in the previous games.

They said he wont get in the way or kill enemies just assist when you asked.
That's good to hear. Don't want that brat to steal my glory kills :p

Tyaren

Are we sure it's his son? He kind of talk about the boy's mother like they don't know each other that well.. Or that kratos haven't been there for most of his upbringing..

The boy calls him "Father" at one point in the demo. So he probably really is.
But it indeed seems as if Kratos feels distant towards the mother (and the son). He also didn't seem to know what she has taught the boy.
He probably has been away for quite some time and only came back for his son because something happened to the mother.

bunkitz

Dude. Ghost of Sparta. Fucking play that right now. I haven't played 3 yet, so my opinion isn't 100% valid, but to me, Ghost of Sparta is the best in the series.

I've considered the possibility that the boy isn't his son, biologically, but... I don't know, doesn't feel like it, especially not with how Barlog talks about him. Regardless, he's Kratos' son to me, and I'm sure others will feel that way too.

There does seem to be some distance between Kratos and the boy's mother. Yeah, that's going to be something interesting to look forward to.
Could be one of these

5012274026_7bc1af48be_b.jpg

Looks like Helios' shield to me.

Gods, I miss this beautiful thing.

Now, at the end of the day we are talking about a video game which obviously will take some freedom to squezze Kratos into a Norse mythology setting, so they'll also use some freedom when it comes to scale.

The World Serpent could have been scaled-down a little to make it even possible to setup a fight against it.

It's the world serpent, though. It's as large as the world, that's pretty much non-negotiable.

It's the world serpent, though. It's as large as the world, that's pretty much non-negotiable.

You know, exxagerating is a big part of Norse mythology. Yes, the World Serpent goes around Midgard, but yet Thor was able to go for a snake fishing trip, using a head of a bull as bait - which is rather small bait for hunting a snake which surrounds an entire planet, wouldn't you agree?

That said, the sheer fact that they throw in a Greek God into Norse setting makes it quite clear that they won't reject from changing the scale of a snake to their likings.

Tonky

Other than mega-snake, what are Norse mythology's most notable creatures that we can expect to see in this game?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
God of War 2 would change things up too. The silhouetted fight against the last Spartan, the griffin battle, zooming out as you crossed the chain connecting the Steeds, etc.)

Even God of War 1 when you went giant to fight Ares
Previously, GOW has been able to adapt to different camera angles because it's control scheme was built for a dynamic camera. Therefore they could put the camera anywhere and the controls would work the same way.

Sometimes they implemented unique methods of interaction in certain contexts, but nothing on par with an entirely different control scheme, which is what would be required for different camera angles in this new game.

Unless people think they're going to use old school tank controls when showing Kratos from other angles, which would be insane and bad for a melee action game.

Other than mega-snake, what are Norse mythology's most notable creatures that we can expect to see in this game?

You'll find them in OP and page 1. The big ones. Lot's of minor creatures, though (also mentioned in this thread), like the numerous personal animals of the Gods.

yami4ct

The gods themselves of course. You have undead creatures like Draugr, you have Nidhogg the great dragon eating the root of the World Tree, you have the Yggdrasil eagle, Fenrir the wolf, many different styles of giants (Surtr and his flaming sword chief among them), elves, fairies, Valkyries, dwarves etc.

Norse has a ton of things to pull from even outside the gods themselves.

Tonky

The gods themselves of course. You have undead creatures like Draugr, you have Nidhogg the great dragon eating the root of the World Tree, you have the Yggdrasil eagle, Fenrir the wolf, many different styles of giants (Surtr and his flaming sword chief among them), elves, fairies, Valkyries, dwarves etc.

Is this the same dragon that flew over at the end of the trailer?

yami4ct

Is this the same dragon that flew over at the end of the trailer?

I don't remember the trailer dragon (I'd need to rewatch it TBH), but there are several different dragons in Norse Mythology. Nidhogg is just chief among them. I expect Nidhogg itself to be absolutely massive in scale given its prominence.

If the dragon ends up being something major and named, I could see it being something like Fafnir. He's a dwarf who was turned into a dragon and eventually played by the hero Sigurd.

Moneal

Don't forget the giant squirrel ratatoskr who inhabits the world tree.

Top Bottom