• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Origins Collection - E3 2011 Screens and Info

Jomjom

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
I hope for FF and DMC (moreso DMC) to be unveiled the next few days.

What do you guys think the chances are?

I think the chances are next to nil. SE this generation has done everything that their fans DO NOT want. File this next to the FF7 and FF6 remakes.

CrankyJay

Banned
Will wait until this is $15-20.

NewEgg.com has this for pre-order w/ free shipping for $29.99 when you use promo code EMCYTZT606

My approach to God of War games is to set the difficulty to Easy and just hit Triangle over and over until I get to the cool bossfights and neat setpieces, and using that strategy got me through Chains of Olympus in something like three hours and forty five minutes. I loved it. I want to play those games but I have no interest in the same Square and Triangle combat system they've been pushing since 2005, and Easy difficulty is almost like the 'skip to the good bits' mode. I'll probably get this after a couple of pricedrops.

Kid Ying

I only played Chain Of olympus and felt it was a big waste of time. Not a bad game, it was a fun little story, but there's nothing there that i never saw on the big screen and better.

BurningNad

I've played and fully completed both on the psp, on whatever they decided to call the hardest difficulty im each game, I forget. Nevertheless, will most likely buy and obliterate for the trophies.

Frankfurt

Banned
I'm always amazed at how people judge graphics nowadays. I looked at those screens and was impressed at how beautiful the game looks. Then I see the replies and people are going nuts saying it's ugly.

Frankfurt said:
I'm always amazed at how people judge graphics nowadays. I looked at those screens and was impressed at how beautiful the game looks. Then I see the replies and people are going nuts saying it's ugly.

I think it could've at least had some anti-aliasing. Nothing wrong with old games in HD, but there is everything wrong with not having perfect image quality when the PS3 could obviously handle it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
CrankyJay said:
Will wait until this is $15-20.

NewEgg.com has this for pre-order w/ free shipping for $29.99 when you use promo code EMCYTZT606

This was threadworthy when it happend for Team Ico Collection. Someone could be a hero like Wario64.

matrix-cat said:
My approach to God of War games is to set the difficulty to Easy and just hit Triangle over and over until I get to the cool bossfights and neat setpieces, and using that strategy got me through Chains of Olympus in something like three hours and forty five minutes. I loved it. I want to play those games but I have no interest in the same Square and Triangle combat system they've been pushing since 2005, and Easy difficulty is almost like the 'skip to the good bits' mode. I'll probably get this after a couple of pricedrops.

It's a bit odd to say you voluntarily play in the shallowest way possible and then say you're tired of the combat system.

Frankfurt said:

it just need some texture upgrade. as it is now, the texture is way too blurry in HD. the polygon model actually hold up pretty good.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
It's a bit odd to say you voluntarily play in the shallowest way possible and then say you're tired of the combat system.
I'm not complaining about them, I play in the shallowest way possible because I'm tired of the combat system. I like God of War but there are five games now and they all have the exact same combat system and the same enemies and the same upgrade paths for the same weapons and magic. I still want to play them because I enjoy the setpieces and environments and bossfights, but I don't need to mash Triangle to stab a Minotaur in the mouth for green orbs any more or kill another five hundred skeleton dudes. To me that's just the filler you have to slog through to get to the puzzles and the bossfights and setpieces and stuff. I'd love a new GoW game that was just three hours of amazing bosses and awesome cinematic moments and then done, but people would be up in arms if it ever happened so for me setting the game to Easy mode and blasting through it is as close as I can get.

Loudninja

God of War Master Collection sighted
God of War Master Collection will bundle all the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PSP games in Sony's action series into a single release, according to a listing on Amazon Germany.

As spotted by CVG, the page indicates a 16th September release date for the set. That's the same day as God of War Origins Collection hits the stores, which offers HD PS3 versions of the two PSP releases.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-20-god-of-war-master-collection-sighted

Can't wait, I love the gameplay of God of War...the adventuring mixed with the combat...and the visuals.

I never played the second one before I sold my PSP, so this is a must buy.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
GOW3 didn't live up to my admittedly extremely high expectations but I'm still excited to play these for the first time. It'll be nice to have the entire GOW series in one place.

The cinematics in this collection look like they've gotten a more serious HD treatment, so that's nice too.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
GOW3 didn't live up to my admittedly extremely high expectations but I'm still excited to play these for the first time. It'll be nice to have the entire GOW series in one place.

The cinematics in this collection look like they've gotten a more serious HD treatment, so that's nice too.

I played GoW1 2 (HD.C) and 3 back to back and i was pleased at the end.
Ending aside im happy with the franchise and these are just a bonus.

GOW4 smashing thor's face in Believe.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

I am upset that the DLC consisted of nothing.

I find it quite sad that Dante's Inferno had better DLC than GoW3, the superior everything.

Mixed feeling about whether I'll buy this or not. Depends on the controls.

Toppot

I enjoyed both games on PSP and I will enjoy them again on PS3.

Is quite nice that this means all God of War games from 3 platform will be on one console. (bar the small mobile game, which would work ok as a minis title IMO)

Haven't played either one of these, so looks like I'm adding another "Collection" title to my PS3 library along with the MGS Collection and the ZOE Collection. This remastering thing Sony's going on is great. This is probably the only generation where it's really going to make sense so why not?

glow

Banned
Boombloxer said:
I am upset that the DLC consisted of nothing.

That was a huge disappointment for me too...

I love David Jaffe's idea of putting Kratos in Norse mythology since the ending of GOW3
was so "well wtf can they do now with the Greek gods?"

Aru

I don't own any of the GoW games (only bought 2, sold it after beating it and rented/borrowed the rest), so I'm waiting for a price drop on the Master Collection.

The only game I haven't played in the series is Ghost of Sparta.

that looks terrible. I cant stand these HD remakes where they do nothing with the textures. the games always end up looking so stale.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Aru said:
I don't own any of the GoW games (only bought 2, sold it after beating it and rented/borrowed the rest), so I'm waiting for a price drop on the Master Collection.

The only game I haven't played in the series is Ghost of Sparta.

Ghost of Sparta is actually one of the better games in the series, so you've got something to look forward to :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Phat Michael said:
that looks terrible. I cant stand these HD remakes where they do nothing with the textures. the games always end up looking so stale.

The original two games as they are in the God of War Collection look nice, particularly GoW2, but the studio really needed to do some work with the PSP games for this release.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
An Art Director at Ready at Dawn named Nathan Phail-Liff, posted this on the Euro Playstation Blog:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011...ring-god-of-war-collection-volume-ii-for-ps3/

It details all of the work they put into the GoW Origins Collection. Really impressive stuff.

Highlights:

"The first goal we had was simply the daunting task of up-rezing the engine and content authored on a PSP running at 480 x 272 resolution and 30 frames per second to 1920 x 1080p at a steady 60 fps on the PS3."

"Between Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta we had over an hour of pre-rendered cinematics, and the gap in video resolution between our PSP source footage and full HD was so extreme that no matter how many custom video up-scale solutions we tried, there was just a glaring quality difference between the 1080P real-time gameplay and the video. It was pretty demoralizing for us to play the game in beautiful HD and hit a cinematic trigger where Kratos looked like he was rendered through a dirty sock, so we realized we would just have to bite the bullet and properly re-render all cinematics in full 1080p."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Spent over 2 hours with Ghost of Sparta remake yesterday and had a blast with it. It looks superb, really love the new visuals and locked in framerate. I definitely urge the God of War fans out there to pick this up.

jetsetfluken said:
I hope for FF and DMC (moreso DMC) to be unveiled the next few days.

What do you guys think the chances are?

What? Please explain why adding goals to the game (trophies) is a bad thing?

I have a feeling dmc will be announced at tgs. Also considering october marks the 10 year anniv for dmc in NA.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011..._medium=social&utm_campaign=GoWOrigins_082911

PlayStation Plus members will have access to the our demo starting tomorrow, August 30th, allowing you to play Ghost of Sparta on PlayStation 3 in HD and stereoscopic 3D for the very first time. This demo will then be available to the general public next week on September 6th.

Hey guys remember when demos were meant to market products and not seen as a privilege.

Top Bottom