• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War PC is already topping charts on Steam

Vognerful

I mean, not enough to go and buy a console for a few interesting exclusives and then experience it at 30fps, barely holding 4K, no anisotropic filtering, etc. If it’s available on PC and they did a good enough port, I’m not sure if it’s expected that we won’t buy it? It’s a PC game at this point, there’s no console experience involved. 🤷‍♂️
and no mods.

Brofist

Yeah, but it's a port of a years old game that can be found for $10
Not like they were gonna release it at PS4 bargain bin price. Rereleases of older gen games on the PS5 certainly won’t be released at $10.

The game will be on sale and found for half the price somewhere within a month anyway.

Day 1? What do you mean?

Yeah, but it's a port of a years old game that can be found for $10
The best version of the game. Come on now, it has higher quality, textures, framerates than ps5. Of course it'll cost more money. And as you see, PC gamers will wait it out, and then pay for the best version possible. Why not allow gamers to play games, regardless of hardware choices?

Lognor

Banned
The best version of the game. Come on now, it has higher quality, textures, framerates than ps5. Of course it'll cost more money. And as you see, PC gamers will wait it out, and then pay for the best version possible. Why not allow gamers to play games, regardless of hardware choices?
No I'm all for it. I don't own a ps so no other way to play the game. But when I seemy console brethern playing a fraction of the cost I need to pay it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's not a Switch after all!

I'll hold off and buy at $20 or less

Kenpachii

its basically a remaster, so higher price makes sense. Game will probably drop on keysites to 20 bucks in a month or 3 after release tho

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
Looks at steams best sellers list for GoW'18... ehm it's #70 th or so. not suprising at all

Now, if they brought Spiderman, yeah that could sell.
Why would you think Spiderman would sell? I've been a PC gamer for decades and part of many communities and I've never heard anyone saying "oh I love me some Spiderman game". I would certainly get laughed at if I said I want to play Spiderman on my PC.

The only playstation game I can see selling well on PC is Bloodborne,.

Lognor

Banned
True but if you don’t own a PlayStation it’s a $10 paper weight. This release is for the I hate consoles people.
LOL! That's not me because I do own an XSX and Switch; I just don't want to buy a PS4/5.

But I've waited this long for God of War (wasn't really waiting because I didn't expect it to come to PC), so I will wait as long as it takes for it to drop to a more reasonable price for myself.

I understand it may be a long time and that's fine. We're five months later after the launch of Days Gone and the lowest it's been on PC is $24. I can wait until God of War is a similar price

dano1

A Sheep
LOL! That's not me because I do own an XSX and Switch; I just don't want to buy a PS4/5.

But I've waited this long for God of War (wasn't really waiting because I didn't expect it to come to PC), so I will wait as long as it takes for it to drop to a more reasonable price for myself.

I understand it may be a long time and that's fine. We're five months later after the launch of Days Gone and the lowest it's been on PC is $24. I can wait until God of War is a similar price
I would guess in 6 months it will probably be $30👍🏻 It is a really good game!

Brofist

PC game market is different. On PC you'll get a quicker sale price, but the price won't quite bottom out on like on console due to used copies flooding the market.

So if you are holding out for straight $10 bargain bin price it would take a long time, but $30 range would be quick.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

days gone is like what 5 months out and its already 19 bucks on keysites. so yea this game will drop fast like every single player game on PC does.

This is why u never overcharge on PC for games because the hype will die down and sales are going down the sewer as result. It would have been better if it was 29 or something.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
days gone is like what 5 months out and its already 19 bucks on keysites. so yea this game will drop fast like every single player game on PC does.

This is why u never overcharge on PC for games because the hype will die down and sales are going down the sewer as result. It would have been better if it was 29 or something.
That is why sony is foolish to be going down this road. Trading 69.99 dollar sales with zero cut for sub 30 dollar sales with lord gaben's 30% off the top. Your giving people incentive to go PC since every game would be on the platform and cheaper. Lord gaben's gets the 30% of 3rd party games and micro transactions not sony where the money is. Short term gains that will erode the ecosystem over time.

Last edited:
That is why sony is foolish to be going down this road. Trading 69.99 dollar sales with zero cut for sub 30 dollar sales with lord gaben's 30% off the top. Your giving people incentive to go PC since every game would be on the platform and cheaper. Lord gaben's gets the 30% of 3rd party games and micro transactions not sony where the money is. Short term gains that will erode the ecosystem over time.
Bring it on. I wanna finish Bloodborne already!

Graciaus

But 30% goes down with sale targets. Steam gets nothing from 3rd party site which is where a lot of people buy from. Sony is going to get free money off a title that sold near 20 million... again.

daninthemix

It's a pity you aren't running the company instead of Jim.

Kenpachii

Like how much people are going to buy this game anyway on consoles still? the second handed market is probably riddled with copy's now where they see zero cut from. PC version is basically free money at this point. It will be interesting to see how this so called juggernaut of a console title will be selling in the PC spectrum when its so late being released on PC.

The biggest problem sony has however with PC is that there titles are simple not big ip's or genre's that pc gamers care about. It will always sell far lesser specially when u release it super late when the hype is died down entirely.

But releasing there main juggernaut titles earlier on PC to run of the hype hype train on release day is going to cost them a lot of console sales as people will be moving over towards PC to play the best version of it so that's also not a option for them.

In short, there isn't much movement for sony in this front and frankly i think its probably better to start investing more into different ip's and move out of there single player focus with most of there studio's if they want to take the PC market seriously and actually expand there audiences.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I feel like none of y'all noticed it was like #20 by day 2 and #60+ after that.

It'll do well, but it's not "topping charts" beyond a single day for the pre-order... and it didn't top them either way lol

edit: #44 today! Moving on up in the world.. anyways.. point being, the day something goes up for pre-order it'll pop on the list, then go way down.

After that first day.. games like Fallout 76 have been outselling it.

Last edited:

reksveks

It'll do well, but it's not "topping charts" beyond a single day for the pre-order... and it didn't top them either way lol

edit: #44 today! Moving on up in the world.. anyways.. point being, the day something goes up for pre-order it'll pop on the list, then go way down.

I have been looking but it's not that interesting until we see numbers imo;×I saw that Fm22 basically knocked it off the top spot in the UK the same evening.

IntentionalPun

I have been looking but it's not that interesting until we see numbers imo;×I saw that Fm22 basically knocked it off the top spot in the UK the same evening.
Yeah I'm not trying to say it won't sell well, but people don't seem to get that a single day near the top of the Steam charts isn't some massive amount of sales... it's the sales for THAT DAY... and nothing big came out that day, the top game overall was New World, which is like a month old at this point... that game will likely easily top the Steam overall chart for October for instance, as it's been consistently near the top. Even if God of War topped New World in some local charts, that only means it sold more for that single day.. it didn't pass up New Worlds cumulative sales for the month or anything like that.

But even that would likely be a few hundred thousands sales.. Steam generates a TON of revenue overall, but it's not like a console where the top games can push millions of sales in a single day, that is incredibly rare on PC.

So God Of War might have gotten only in the 5 figures day-1 pre-orders wise for all we know. 10's of thousands.. probably actually the most likely scenario.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I feel that putting their old game on Steam at 49.99 is not the greatest strategy, specially for games that are 2 - 3 years old and cheap as hell on console.

Like, they must know PC players usually pay less for games, right?

I probably would jump day 1 if it was 29.99 but instead, it's going on my wishlist waiting for a sale or a good offer on cdkeys, etc...

Release Forbidden West day 1 and I might pay full price.

But what the hell do I know? If they release Bloodborne on PC at 49.99, it will probably sell like hot cakes.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Even games that have been out for a while on Steam move up and down that chart regularly. So yeah, anything "topping the charts" is about as meaningful as Amazon's best sellers list. Very easy to read too much into it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I feel that putting their old game on Steam at 49.99 is not the greatest strategy, specially for games that are 2 - 3 years old and cheap as hell on console.

I probably would jump day 1 if it was 29.99 but instead, it's going on my wishlist waiting for a sale or a good offer on cdkeys, etc...

But what the hell do I know? If they release Bloodborn on PC at 49.00, it will probably sell like hot cake.
The high pricing is for PC gamers who dont play console games, so to them a $50 price is isolated as they arent going to be scoping out buying a console and the old PS game at $19.99.

Bkdk

I’ll see how moddable it is and depends if I’ll buy it or not, I dislike the original game that’s why I didn’t bother to buy it on ps4. I haven’t been able to enjoy any of the big Sony first party games for a few years already, hopefully some mods and trainers will change that a bit.

IntentionalPun

I’ll see how moddable it is and depends if I’ll buy it or not, I dislike the original game that’s why I didn’t bother to buy it on ps4. I haven’t been able to enjoy any of the big Sony first party games for a few years already, hopefully some mods and trainers will change that a bit.
I'd love them all to come to PC just so people can do shit like mod out unskippable cutscenes or unskippable cut-scene-like Gameplay segments lol..

Like give me a Ghosts of Tsushima where I can skip cutscenes, and "skip to actual mission" for those endless walking and talking sections, that are even worse than unskippable cutscenes. There's literally no gameplay during those sections, they turn off any enemy encounters.. and just.. force you to walk in a certain path or the mission is "failed." So incredibly lame.

Has anyone moded out the "going on a date with your GF" parts of Days Gone for instance?

Shmunter

Sony freely announcing sales numbers unlike the green guys, I’m looking forward to sales numbers on PC.

Will it show good results? will it barely be a blip on the radar? Will Sony adjust release timing for better sales?

Last edited:
Why would you think Spiderman would sell? I've been a PC gamer for decades and part of many communities and I've never heard anyone saying "oh I love me some Spiderman game". I would certainly get laughed at if I said I want to play Spiderman on my PC.

The only playstation game I can see selling well on PC is Bloodborne,.
Nah a quality game is a quality game, GoW is not that. Spiderman would certainly ship millions of copies more than gow18.

Jaybe

But what the hell do I know? If they release Bloodborne on PC at 49.99, it will probably sell like hot cakes.

Any time I see issues with launch price I think of skimming from my consumer products days. They will get to your price point eventually, they just work their way down to it.

Market Skimming Pricing
a pricing approach in which the producer sets a high introductory price to attract buyers with a strong desire for the product and the resources to buy it, and then gradually reduces the price to attract the next and subsequent layers of the market.

Midn1ght

Any time I see issues with launch price I think of skimming from my consumer products days. They will get to your price point eventually, they just work their way down to it.

Market Skimming Pricing
a pricing approach in which the producer sets a high introductory price to attract buyers with a strong desire for the product and the resources to buy it, and then gradually reduces the price to attract the next and subsequent layers of the market.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I'll pirate it then.

👀

jk of course

Last edited:
Top Bottom