• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I bought a $700 soundbar for this game with Dolby Atmos, but yeah cant even turn that on at midnight because its so loud even with the bass and subwoofer turned off. Turns out PS5 games dont support Atmos even though the 4k bluray player does. So stupid. So I just used my Sony PULSE 3D Headset and cranked up the volume to max. One of the better 3D audio experiences. It's no returnal in that i dont feel like im transported in that world, but they do a great job with positional surround sound. Lots of sounds of of objects behind and next to me. I can even hear the wind and the leaves rustling in the forest. Not many games do this with surround sound, and while its not atmos where you feel the audio coming from the ceiling, it is still a very good 360 surround sound experience.

Would highly recommend it for late night gaming.

I also bought a Soundbar for this lol. But you can really only enjoy them during certain times of the day where I live so yeah I might give those headphones a try.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, HFW has no right looking that good considering its held back by the PS4. I legit believe its the hero lighting and lighting upgrades in general. It's insane how good that game looks. That said, GOW has enjoyed a slight improvement in graphics. Some character models look excellent. I think giving Kratos the same exact character model is a mistake because others do look better than what we had in the previous game. Definitely a big improvement there. Lighting and volumetrics look more like the OG GOW 2016 demo than the final game which had the GI and volumetrics toned down. Really adds to the atmosphere. It's no HFW, but its a decent upgrade beyond just the native 4k IQ the PS5 allows them to hit. And above all, its not the size of your dick, it's how you use it. HFW might have better visuals but GOW uses them to a better effect.

FbvfiNUXoAIi3ij
From the trailers i can already tell what are the best models, tell me how wrong am i:

Dwarf with the octopus
Angrboda
Kratos
Discount rocket
Maybe thor but i haven't seen enough of him.

Tyr looked pretty "cartoony" for lack of better words and you know what i think about freya and little shit.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

So

Quality @ 40 fps HFR
Performance @ 60 - 120 fps HFR

What are we using? As per usual I am flipping between them, it’s really really close on this game think I’ll have to settle at performance mode as the loss in resolution in camera pans.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yo DeepEnigma DeepEnigma can you re-post that guide on how to try all the modes?

I'm not sure what i have to disable ps5 side to try the different modes.

Lg c1 here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So

Quality @ 40 fps HFR

What are we using? As per usual I am flipping between them, it’s really really close on this game think I’ll have to settle at performance mode as the loss in resolution in camera pans.
I'm using performance/HFR off (locked 60). It's locked the IQ is impeccable.

Yo DeepEnigma DeepEnigma can you re-post that guide on how to try all the modes?

I'm not sure what i have to disable ps5 side to try the different modes.

Lg c1 here.
This one?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So

Quality @ 40 fps HFR

I havent flipped because 60 fps will ALWAYS be better than 30 fps and even 40 fps so I am sticking with 40 with unlocked framerate. It feels smooth enough, although camera pans arent as smooth, but since it only affects exploration I might just stick with it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No i remember that you posted something written directly here, not a link.

It was something like "if you wanna try this you need to turn on this and disable that" type of thing.
Ah, this?

This is the 40Hz below.

Quality
2160p 30 Hz
1800p-2160p 40 Hz (120 Hz output)
1800p-2160p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)

This is the 120hz in performance mode.

Performance
1440p-2160p 60 Hz
1440p unlocked (120 Hz)
1440p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)
That’s all you will get. If you have VRR/120hz enabled, then you will get unlocked in either mode.

If you disable VRR, but not 120hz, you will get 40Hz in quality, and 60Hz in performance.

If you disable 120Hz, you will get 30 and still 60 respectively.
After looking in the menus, you can have HFR (High Framerate) On even if VRR is off on the PS5, which will cause tearing and judder, I assume. So if you have HFR set to On, and not Off, then you will want VRR enabled in the PS5 settings.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So to take full advantage of the 40fps option should I turn on vrr in the console settings? Or nah
As long as you have a TV that doesn't impact local dimming with VRR, then yes. You will have it set to Quality with HFR set to On (I assume the HFR toggle removes vsync). Both 120Hz and VRR set to On in the PS5 settings.

If you are fine at a locked 40Hz, then keep HFR set to Off in the game menu.

Personally, I am playing at 60Hz w/ HFR set to Off. Buttery smooth and impeccable IQ running at 1900p the majority of the time.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

As long as you have a TV that doesn't impact local dimming with VRR, then yes. You will have it set to Quality with HFR set to On (I assume the HFR toggle removes vsync). Both 120Hz and VRR set to On in the PS5 settings.

If you are fine at a locked 40Hz, then keep HFR set to Off in the game menu.

Personally, I am playing at 60Hz w/ HFR set to Off. Buttery smooth and impeccable IQ running at 1900p the majority of the time.
wth 40hz unlocked, does it stay higher than 40 most of the time or just hovers there?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ah, this?

This is the 40Hz below.

Quality
2160p 30 Hz
1800p-2160p 40 Hz (120 Hz output)
1800p-2160p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)

This is the 120hz in performance mode.

Performance
1440p-2160p 60 Hz
1440p unlocked (120 Hz)
1440p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)

After looking in the menus, you can have HFR (High Framerate) On even if VRR is off on the PS5, which will cause tearing and judder, I assume. So if you have HFR set to On, and not Off, then you will want VRR enabled in the PS5 settings.
what-math.gif

Last edited:

Croga

Fidelity 1800p-2160p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)
Performance 1440p unlocked (120 Hz w/ VRR)

I'm swapping back and forth between these constantly, I can't settle on which to use...

Fidelity as per the name looks a lot nicer, and for the most part, the frame rate is fine, but camera movement sometimes seems to have a slight bit of judder to it that is a bit off putting.

Performance mode is smooth as hell, can't fault from an fps perspective, but it does look slightly worse to me.

I'll need to make my mind up eventually lol.

The game itself? Loving it, it's paced really well, I loved the opening sections and what I've played so far, for a cross gen game it's about as good as you can get, super polished.

ABnormal

One of the issues with 2018 is that it wants to be somewhat of an “open world” game, but has speed bumps every five seconds.

Now, whether they are for loading or whether they are there for combat encounter purposes, it never feels good.

If you expect me to backtrack and explore to such an extent, please don’t make me constantly squeeze through a crevice, walk, lift a giant rock, and spend two minutes each time I want to warp to another world - select world, watch animation play out, run through blue “loading section” world, come out other side, watch another overly long “tree roots” animation play out, forced walking section, okay now you’re free.
If you want that level of detail with that traversal speed, without loading nodes, you have either to greatly reduce detail (it has to fit into RAM), or scrap last gen and use SSDs, so that data streaming can be virtually unlimited. But they were never an option for this game, which is born on PS4 right after the previous one.

ABnormal

So

Quality @ 40 fps HFR

For whose who have a vrr compatible tv, definitely quality mode at 40 Hz unlocked: full details and frame rate of at least 40 fps, but far higher on average. The best trade off.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Easiest way to understand.

If you have a 60Hz TV

- Quality is 2160p (native 4K) @ 30Hz
- Performance is 1440p-2160p (tech sites said it's mostly 1900p) @ 60Hz

If you have a 120Hz TV (with 120Hz enabled in the PS5 settings, if not enabled then it defaults to a 60Hz TV modes above)

- Quality is 1800p-2160p @ 40Hz
*setting HFR to Off is not recommended if given the option, due to disabling vsync

If you have a 120Hz TV w/ VRR

- Quality is 1800p-2160p @ 40Hz (but you can set it to HFR On which removes the vsync, so enable VRR in the PS5 and TV settings) and it runs at an average 50-55fps.
- Performance is 1440p-2160p (tech sites said it's mostly 1900p) @ 60Hz (but you can set it to HFR On which removes the vsync, so enable VRR in the PS5 and TV settings) and it runs at an average 80-90+fps

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Easiest way to understand.

If you have a 60Hz TV

- Quality is 2160p (native 4K) @ 30Hz

If you have a 120Hz TV

- Quality is 1800p-2160p @ 40Hz
*setting HFR to Off is not recommended if given the option, due to disabling vsync

If you have a 120Hz TV w/ VRR

- Quality is 1800p-2160p @ 40Hz (but you can set it to HFR On which removes the vsync, so enable VRR in the PS5 settings) and it runs at an average 50-55fps.
- Performance is 1440p-2160p (tech sites said it's mostly 1900p) @ 60Hz (but you can set it to HFR On which removes the vsync, so enable VRR in the PS5 settings) and it runs at an average 80-90+fps
Lol i was joking, it was already clear with the first post.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Does this mean I can finally drop from ledge or stuff like that without having to go to a specific spot and watch a cinematic climb down animation ?
This drove me crazy in the first one.

That's still there, although you can zip round with the blades as a grapple hook rather than have to clamber each wall.

Just got Tyr and about to set off for the next party member. Played about 6 hours today and only a headache is stopping me now.

The only real gripe I have is the UI/menu. My god, I didn't think it was possible to make the first one worse. They deffo took 'tiny text' to heart, and the overlays and weird sliding shit is just bizarre.

I'm really liking the story so far, and the only other thing is it throws so much at you in the opening hours that you have to learn really quick. But then it clicks and you're like Kratos Wick

BbMajor7th

Better mocap? Facial animations? The game is an unoptimized mess that runs at 30fps only and not even stable sometimes as far as I know. Most animations are better in Ragnarok as well. Some assets are top notch for sure though and I’m sure for a photo mode Plague is outstanding.
I've played both a fair amount. A Plague Tale definitely has some stand out moments, but it's inconsistent, with certain shortfalls in animation and technical direction letting down the overall impression, not to mention the 30FPS cap. GOWR is nothing if not painstakingly consistent. It's not the visual showstopper that HFW manages to be, but everything is polished to the same standard.

I honestly feel like this is one of the those things that gets overlooked in presentation debates - strong, consistent presentation is the holy grail.

Last edited:

FrankWza

As long as you have a TV that doesn't impact local dimming with VRR, then yes.
.not sure if you saw my other post but have you tried turning off the dimming with a service remote? Lg has this and it should/could fix the issue. I haven’t played enough GoWR yet but I didn’t have this issue with Ratchet

Edit: DeepEnigma DeepEnigma theyre only $7 on Amazon. Worth a shot just Google first before messing with any settings. I was having issues with some apps on the Apple TV box like dimming and flickering and it fixed that.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fucking production quality....sure the graphics are cross gen...but you really can't top that Sony big tent pole game quality.

I can only imagine how much free reign and blank cheques they were given to deliver this but the reality is, they nail it. Its like a avengers movie level of budget and quality of effects etc.

Enjoying it a lot so far but I knew I would. Can't play anymore today gotta wait till tomorrow....torture. lol

FrankWza

It's loaded and updated, but I'm to exhausted to play after the gym. Glad to hear people are enjoying it!
Yeah I wish they would have broken street date last Friday after it leaked. Story is so important that Everyone is paranoid of having something spoiled. Harder now that some can’t play until the weekend.

TrebleShot

For whose who have a vrr compatible tv, definitely quality mode at 40 Hz unlocked: full details and frame rate of at least 40 fps, but far higher on average. The best trade off.
Yeah played a bit on both but perf is edging it for me I’ll switch back tonight though to see what I prefer .

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Cool. PS5 Disc is even a better deal, if you're looking for "deals".
can't say you're wrong but i don't buy physical very often so it's very hard for me to justify the 100 extra. that being said you can get physical for cheap so...... seems like the extra investment will pay off... plus i like the discs

Last edited:
Top Bottom