• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's a cross-gen title, hardly a surprise that it doesn't push any boundaries...
HFW is crossgen but it has hands down the most detailed character of any open world in existence, the dinobot are the most detailed enemies ever created and the graphic is pretty much top 3 on the market, it push far more boundaries than it has any right to push for a crossgen.

Last edited:
One hour in and I'm weirdly unimpressed by everything so far. Especially the graphics.
So you're unimpressed with 99% of graphics from all games released this year?

I feel only 2 games this year surpasses this one (FW and TLOU Remake) and one of them needed months of patches to do so (Forbidden West).

If a game that looks like this is unimpressive...i fear for some of you guys standards. But hey...opinions, right?

GymWolf

Gold Member

I feel only 2 games this year surpasses this one (FW and TLOU Remake) and one of them needed months of patches to do so (Forbidden West).

If a game that looks like this is unimpressive...i fear for some of you guys standards. But hey...opinions, right?
only for the performance mode, release day quality mode was an absolute looker.

I think that demons and rift apart are also more impressive.

But i'm gonna save the last word for when i'm gonna play the game by myself.

Last edited:

Exactly. No need to get riled up. It's still your game of a lifetime.

DavidGzz

I mean yeah its not pushing any boundaries but its clearly better looking than the last one and it still looks better than 95% of all games. The fact that we can play a game with this much fidelity at 60FPS is a generational leap compared to last gen.

I realy don´t get how you can play the first couple of hours and not be impressed. Every single bit of this game oozes love and dedication to the craft.

Yeah it just oozes quality even the menu of him just sitting there looks amazing.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Yes, it is not there anymore.

I'm sorry, but that's not the same thing. The slow but heavy cleave was ultra satisfying to use in the last game, even more so than a finisher.
Small update: There is an skill that is a bit like it. It's actually a more usefull move, but it lacks the impact of the 2018 game. WOuld have been nice if you would be able to do both. But anyway, apart from that the game is amazin.

Flabagast

I've only played an hour or so so I'm sure I'll change my tune but I can't help but feel underwhelmed with the presentation so far. Not sure what I was expecting but even Spider-Man Remastered had a bigger jump over PS4. Atreus for example has a really low quality face for a main character while some faces do look amazing so it's quite noticeable. Same with the textures some look great some would have looked bad on PS4. The fur looks like it has come straight out of a budget last gen game.

The game feels exactly like 2018 which I know deep down is a good thing as that was probably my favourite PS4 game but it means it doesn't have the same impact the first one had.

I'm being unfair and I know it as if I had to choose I'd 100% prefer they spent time and money making a good game rather than reinventing the wheel but I've avoided most of the pre-release stuff and have to admit I was expecting it to look much better than it does.
Game looks like a annualised sequel tbh.

Puscifer

Regarding weapons

FYI, you don't get Thors hammer. I got my copy shipped to me early and I'm near the end and it's clear it's not yours, even on NGP and that's if NGP is even there

Anywho, great game and don't have any complaints. If GoW 18 was an 8/10 for me this ones a 9/10 at the moment unless they don't stick the final stretch.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Early graphical thoughts from a true graphics whore:

Dont go in expecting TLOU Part 1 or HFW. It’s not that. However, still looks better than everything other than the top tier Sony games.

Disappointing? Sure. Game should have been a masterclass of graphics, but it’s cross gen… and not everyone is Guerilla. HFW is an anomaly.

Game still looks gorgeous, just not up to par with the other heavy hitters.

We’ll see how it shapes up the further I get into it. I’m very very early in.

saintjules

Early graphical thoughts from a true graphics whore:

Dont go in expecting TLOU Part 1 or HFW. It’s not that. However, still looks better than everything other than the top tier Sony games.

Disappointing? Sure. Game should have been a masterclass of graphics, but it’s cross gen… and not everyone is Guerilla. HFW is an anomaly.

Game still looks gorgeous, just not up to par with the other heavy hitters.

We’ll see how it shapes up the further I get into it. I’m very very early in.

That was kind of my gut feeling about the hype. In no way this was going to be a masterclass in graphics, but I'm sure it's up there. Still excited to play after work today.

Tomcat

Console warrior troll bait.

Plague looks better too.

This game is fucking incredible, can't stop playing, about 6 hours in now. The one thing I wanted after the masterpiece that was GoW 2018 was a return to the violence and gore of previous titles and that wish has been mostly granted, everything feels much more visceral and impactful because of it, so damn good.

Beyond that this is in the running for best visuals ever and that's in Performance Mode. Banter between Kratos, Atreus and Mimir is better than it's ever been. The two (lengthy) side quests I did so far were both fantastic. Set-piece moments are 🤯🤯🤯. Hope both newcomers and fellow OG fans are having as much fun as I am. Dear mods, please temp ban anyone posting open spoilers 🙏🏻. OK, back to the grand adventure.

On amazon uk the best selling titles of 2022 so far the ps5 version is 10th on amazon uk.

For context ps5 modern warfare 2 version is 9th....

Yeah this game is gonna be a sales juggernaut. God of war 2018 wasn't even that big in the uk. Zero dawn had a bigger launch.

Yeah this games is gone be way bigger.

Toots

Gold Member
Gyro-gyno, sorry but you can't pretend good jokes at this hour of the day.
Don't sell yourself short, your joke has LAYERS !
I though you were talking about that kind of gyro, which is a muscle killer also :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Gyros-1024x1024.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
One of the issues with 2018 is that it wants to be somewhat of an “open world” game, but has speed bumps every five seconds.

Now, whether they are for loading or whether they are there for combat encounter purposes, it never feels good.

If you expect me to backtrack and explore to such an extent, please don’t make me constantly squeeze through a crevice, walk, lift a giant rock, and spend two minutes each time I want to warp to another world - select world, watch animation play out, run through blue “loading section” world, come out other side, watch another overly long “tree roots” animation play out, forced walking section, okay now you’re free.

Like, how nice would it be to just explore the world with a little less restriction? Like, chop out all that shit and give us a mount or even something to fly on (this if god of war, after all).
I don’t need this set up for every adventure game, but if you’re going to ask me to backtrack all over the map, don’t make it a chore - make it fun. Rowing the boat ain’t that fun.

I hope they innovated on this in even the smallest way. Bigger levels, less obstructions…. Anything. Just make getting around the world less of a pain, please.

If the pacing and exploration is on track, I will truly enjoy this game. Otherwise I’m gonna get frustrated every 30 seconds when I hit another hiccup.

Just a personal thing I’d love to see improved in this game compared to 2018.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
HDR Brightness setting for LGCX and other HGIG tvs.

Basically the game supports HGIG but its too dark at 50. 75 is good but 100 looks the best. However, 100 might crush some details. Dynamic Tone Mapping set to on is too bright.

Another 6 hours before i can even put the disc inside the console, fuck me...
You will then have to wait another 25 minutes just to get the game to start and if your disc drive has that noise bug when it spins like mine then you are likely waiting the whole hour. Then there is a day one patch you might want to wait for though it did give me an option to install it before the game fully installed. Weird so I didnt take any chances and waited for the game to finish installing from Disc.

Gamestop had a great system of just handing out the game to people who bought it earlier that night, and i was literally in and out in under 2 minutes. Home by 12:08, but couldnt start the game until past 1 AM. At least the day one patch doesnt do a full 1 hour long copy like other games do after a small patch. They need to start doing 9PM releases. Thursday night movie showings that start at 7PM completely changed the movie industry revenues. The west coast has 9PM releases anyway so why not the east coast?

Mr Branding

Man, everything in this is better than 2018, like, you know, a sequel should be.
I especially love more fluid travesal options and improved, faster combat.
That
Thor meet and fight at the beggining makes the Baldur one seem like a mini boss encounter. Love Thor’s and Odin portrayals in this but SSM always knock it put of the park with this.

GymWolf

Gold Member
HDR Brightness setting for LGCX and other HGIG tvs.

Basically the game supports HGIG but its too dark at 50. 75 is good but 100 looks the best. However, 100 might crush some details. Dynamic Tone Mapping set to on is too bright.

You will then have to wait another 25 minutes just to get the game to start and if your disc drive has that noise bug when it spins like mine then you are likely waiting the whole hour. Then there is a day one patch you might want to wait for though it did give me an option to install it before the game fully installed. Weird so I didnt take any chances and waited for the game to finish installing from Disc.

Gamestop had a great system of just handing out the game to people who bought it earlier that night, and i was literally in and out in under 2 minutes. Home by 12:08, but couldnt start the game until past 1 AM. At least the day one patch doesnt do a full 1 hour long copy like other games do after a small patch. They need to start doing 9PM releases. Thursday night movie showings that start at 7PM completely changed the movie industry revenues. The west coast has 9PM releases anyway so why not the east coast?

I never start playing before 21/21:30 so i have 2 hours from when i return home to do everything.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I wasn’t a fan of how I had to play at pretty low volume last night, and I was tired as hell. I’m gonna start a new game today and start from scratch, properly.

The Stig

Now you mention it your right! Not the biggest fan of ghost but sucker punch are masters of tight controls. Infamous had controls ahead it's time as well.

You got crazy amount ranged and melee options at your fingertips without pausing or going into menus.
absolutely.

all those different weapons and approaches you can take at the drop of a straw hat.

im really enjoying the game so far. absolutely gorgeous and the combat is superb.

.................... buuuuuuuut im going to have to stop playing it (temporarily) in favor of GoW when it arrives today

Hugare

I am guilty of this, heh

lol, I love his videos

Can relate. Just signed PC Game Pass yesterday.

Dont think I'm gonna touch another game this month tho

Plague looks better too.

You tripping

Plague looks good from a technical standpoint, but it feels and looks like a AA game

Animations, models, world density and design, voice acting, almost every aspect is worse when compared to Ragnarok

Presentation wise, its not even comparable

SlimySnake

HFW is crossgen but it has hands down the most detailed character of any open world in existence, the dinobot are the most detailed enemies ever created and the graphic is pretty much top 3 on the market, it push far more boundaries than it has any right to push for a crossgen.
Yeah, HFW has no right looking that good considering its held back by the PS4. I legit believe its the hero lighting and lighting upgrades in general. It's insane how good that game looks. That said, GOW has enjoyed a slight improvement in graphics. Some character models look excellent. I think giving Kratos the same exact character model is a mistake because others do look better than what we had in the previous game. Definitely a big improvement there. Lighting and volumetrics look more like the OG GOW 2016 demo than the final game which had the GI and volumetrics toned down. Really adds to the atmosphere. It's no HFW, but its a decent upgrade beyond just the native 4k IQ the PS5 allows them to hit. And above all, its not the size of your dick, it's how you use it. HFW might have better visuals but GOW uses them to a better effect.

FbvfiNUXoAIi3ij

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Man, everything in this is better than 2018, like, you know, a sequel should be.
I especially love more fluid travesal options and improved, faster combat.
That
Thor meet and fight at the beggining makes the Baldur one seem like a mini boss encounter. Love Thor’s and Odin portrayals in this but SSM always knock it put of the park with this.
More fluid traversal? That’s exactly what I was just asking for. Care to expand?

Plague looks better too.
Better mocap? Facial animations? The game is an unoptimized mess that runs at 30fps only and not even stable sometimes as far as I know. Most animations are better in Ragnarok as well. Some assets are top notch for sure though and I’m sure for a photo mode Plague is outstanding.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I wasn’t a fan of how I had to play at pretty low volume last night, and I was tired as hell. I’m gonna start a new game today and start from scratch, properly.
I bought a $700 soundbar for this game with Dolby Atmos, but yeah cant even turn that on at midnight because its so loud even with the bass and subwoofer turned off. Turns out PS5 games dont support Atmos even though the 4k bluray player does. So stupid. So I just used my Sony PULSE 3D Headset and cranked up the volume to max. One of the better 3D audio experiences. It's no returnal in that i dont feel like im transported in that world, but they do a great job with positional surround sound. Lots of sounds of of objects behind and next to me. I can even hear the wind and the leaves rustling in the forest. Not many games do this with surround sound, and while its not atmos where you feel the audio coming from the ceiling, it is still a very good 360 surround sound experience.

Would highly recommend it for late night gaming.

Top Bottom