• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Hoppa

Just finished worked and my physical has arrived!

here we go celebration GIF

I have managed to remain blacked out for the most part on spoilers and whatnot. Unlocks soon and I'm excited. 2018 took some warming up for me being a fan of all the previous games but once it hit, it really hit. Looking forward to more enemy variety and that mythology crossover shenanigans.

SLB1904

Banned
Holy shit at that Hideo Kojima moment.
You know the one !!!
What moment? Only reply if its before the dwarfs land lol

Also got damn thor makes kratos look like a boy ha ha ha. What beast. And people were worried because he's fat. Dude is a tank. The fight was much better than baldur. A lot more movements. Also that fucking hammer is too good

What moment? Only reply if its before the dwarfs land lol

Also got damn thor makes kratos look like a boy ha ha ha. What beast. And people were worried because he's fat. Dude is a tank. The fight was much better than baldur. A lot more movements. Also that fucking hammer is too good

Well it is supposed to be a super weapon. Like a handheld nuclear bomb.

:messenger_beaming:

I cant wait to see it for myself.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m an hour into it and I’m loving it. The axe feels better than Captain America’s shield. Have to work in the morning, but I can’t wait to play more later.

RIP to the man who helped create the axe throwing technology in God of War.

Last edited:

Banned
I played it for 2h and so far it's pretty decent.
the opening chapter was absolutely crap, which is of course to be expected these days with AAA games. slow walking galore, nothing worse when it comes to game design than slow walking.

the fighting system so far barely changed from the first game, it feels basically the same, so decent but not great.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's looking really good. I really appreciate the moving bits on Kratos' character. Overall lighting is a big improvement as well.

FYI... PS Direct has GoW Ragnarok bundles available for those still looking.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus Christ. That was a phenomenal first couple of hours. I was afraid that the game would feel too samey but i totally forgot that these guys are master storytellers. This is artists at the peak of their craft. Writing, acting, directing. Like maybe three studios are making games like this nowadays. Its just so well made. Now i get why it took 4.5 years. The kind of care and love put into just the first couple of hours here is something you don’t even see in entire 100 hour games.

Combat is eh so far but I’m sure it will get better. I am blown away tbh.

Graphics have gotten a small but noticeable upgrade. In some lighting conditions, a couple of shot straight up look photorealistic but the lighting indoors is showing its age.

Playing in quality hfr, the combat is perfectly fine but the camera pans during exploration causes jitters. Still i think I’m going to stick with this mode.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well I played for about two hours. Glad to say it looks like none of the reviews I watched (and I watched quite some) spoiled anything more than that.

One thing I'm missing: the hold-R2 charging cleaving attack with the leviathan axe. It just felt so satisfying. Sad that it seems to be gone.
Fucking what??

Last edited:

zkorejo

Well I played for about two hours. Glad to say it looks like none of the reviews I watched (and I watched quite some) spoiled anything more than that.

One thing I'm missing: the hold-R2 charging cleaving attack with the leviathan axe. It just felt so satisfying. Sad that it seems to be gone.
They changed it. It's Triangle to charge it up with elemental damage now. Applied to both weapons for different elemental damage.

shubik

The overall quality is really what stands out. Everything is so crisp, snappy, fast and without any kind of jank. Just the start screen with the seamless transition into the gameplay. Chefs kiss and true AAA shit.

Isa

We've had a bit of snow here, so I'm in the mood for sure, listening to epic death and black metal and some folky neo pagan stuff. Started this up thinking I'd be good before work. Nah I had to call in and take the point. Worth it. Gotta say I missed Mimir something fierce. And the exploration is fun for me. Some nice Dual Sense stuff implemented as well.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I got it! The plan is:

1. Dust of my PS5
2. Download system update
3. Restart, update, rebuild database
4. Update controller
5. Install disc content to hard drive
6. Download and install day one patch
7. Play

Hoppa

About 2ish hours in (?)
Dwarfheim looking for Durlin. They’ve just given me the open world compass and first side mission.
Really enjoying it so far, had to shut it off or I’ll be up all night. Will prob have to hold off playing until the weekend

J3nga

performance + high fps so damn smooth, everything else in comparison feels sluggish, the difference in IQ is not that big between performance and quality modes. Happy to confirm that this is not Horizon forbidden west launch situation where performance mode looked like a x360 game.

Certinty

Never understood the praise the first game gets for its story. The dialogue and interactions are good but the whole story is basically a prologue dragged out to last the whole game. So glad this game has a proper story so to speak.

Top Bottom