• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Toots

Gold Member
Started playing last night for 2 and a half hour. Did all the "going home" "going to bed" stuff.
I stopped some time after the "courtesy call"...

Great time overall but I cannot wait for the environments to open up...

Was surprised with the whole north gods mafia thing. Odin's entrance 2 minutes after we see Thor for the first time was a great idea, and his first two or three lines were great. And then he effing turns into Joe Pesci ?!Forget about it :messenger_grinning_sweat:. I'm interested to see where this will go tho... But i find it tonally weird

Like an hour in and just got up to the first scene with Odin. I have not been keeping up with trailers/previews/etc so I had no idea he was going to be played like a mob boss. It's kinda interesting in a weird way

Edit: is there really no way to disable the vignetting? I combed through the menus and couldn't find the setting.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
ok got the thing... and it comes with metal/tin small displate?!
Is this official sony merch o something from retailer?
Zqowmrx.jpg

Kuranghi

I left off 2018 due to not liking the combat, I'd rather just start this than go back to and finish that now.

Will I be hyper confused if try to play this without knowing the story? MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh said the main menu recap was pish and to get one on youtube, any suggestions?

One that's less than 15 mins preferably, could be longer just as long as its engaging.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
ok got the thing... and it comes with metal/tin small displate?!
Is this official sony merch o something from retailer?
Zqowmrx.jpg

Must be something from a retailer. They wanted to give me something with my copy but I refused. I don't like stuff like that. Also, not a fan of EDYCJA PREMIEROWA and that ugly badge on the bottom. Why are they ruining a perfectly perfect cover art?

My copy:

nvFyXCr.jpg

Ulysses 31

Watched the Distortion2 stream from Odin's fight till Freya joins the crew. Pretty much a continuation of GoW 2018 with some QOL improvements and that's fine if you liked that game.

But the game seems afraid to let players figure out puzzles on their own and rather give strong hints after a few seconds.

Last edited:
Played a few hours last night and so far so good. Great delivery from the cast which was expected following 2018 and the action is what you would expect following the first game.

Definitely recommend the 60fps mode over fidelity, not sure it looks any different and the extra performance is worth it.

Looking forward to cracking on with it over the next few weeks.

scydrex

Played a few hours last night and so far so good. Great delivery from the cast which was expected following 2018 and the action is what you would expect following the first game.

Definitely recommend the 60fps mode over fidelity, not sure it looks any different and the extra performance is worth it.

Looking forward to cracking on with it over the next few weeks.
Did you tried the 40fps quality mode? 30fps no for sure... will play tonight with my physical copy.

rofif

Banned
Must be something from a retailer. They wanted to give me something with my copy but I refused. I don't like stuff like that. Also, not a fan of EDYCJA PREMIEROWA and that ugly badge on the bottom. Why are they ruining a perfectly perfect cover art?

My copy:

nvFyXCr.jpg
yeah not a huge fan either of that added info but it's not like I have an option to buy any other physical release!

SLB1904

Banned
lkibHaGO1xmJXapEdq.gif

I'm going to pick up my copy soon. I'll try to survive that opening. I know it will be worth it.
There's no slow walk at all. That's what you would expect from a game like this but as soon as you take control of kratos you can pretty much sprint everywhere. Yeah it surprised me as well lol either way I was soaking in the atmosphere. There is no way um rushing lol

But again that user is very well know salty troll. Probably is watching on YouTube so yeah the person that is playing is probably taking his time as well.

Vick

There's no slow walk at all. That's what you would expect from a game like this but as soon as you take control of kratos you can pretty much sprint everywhere. Yeah it surprised me as well lol either way I was soaking in the atmosphere. There is no way um rushing lol

But again that user is very well know salty troll. Probably is watching on YouTube so yeah the person that is playing is probably taking his time as well.
'Decent but not great combat system'

Fucking lol.

Markio128

The problem I have now is that I have just finally beaten the Draconic Tree Sentinel outside Leyndell Capital, so have opened up a whole new area in ER + have GOW:R dropping today. Thank the gods I booked 5 days off work!

SLB1904

Banned
'Decent but not great combat system'

Fucking lol.
Really expect nothing different from him But unfortunately if you don't know him. You might buy into his bullshit. Mods should tag him honestly.

The problem I have now is that I have just finally beaten the Draconic Tree Sentinel outside Leyndell Capital, so have opened up a whole new area in ER + have GOW:R dropping today. Thank the gods I booked 5 days off work!

Sounds like a good problem to have. I book holiday as well. I'm off till Monday 😌

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. That was a phenomenal first couple of hours. I was afraid that the game would feel too samey but i totally forgot that these guys are master storytellers. This is artists at the peak of their craft. Writing, acting, directing. Like maybe three studios are making games like this nowadays. Its just so well made. Now i get why it took 4.5 years. The kind of care and love put into just the first couple of hours here is something you don’t even see in entire 100 hour games.

Combat is eh so far but I’m sure it will get better. I am blown away tbh.

Graphics have gotten a small but noticeable upgrade. In some lighting conditions, a couple of shot straight up look photorealistic but the lighting indoors is showing its age.

Playing in quality hfr, the combat is perfectly fine but the camera pans during exploration causes jitters. Still i think I’m going to stick with this mode.
Combat starts off a little dry but soon opens up with combos and new moves that you can spend XP on.

Markio128

Really expect nothing different from him But unfortunately if you don't know him. You might buy into his bullshit. Mods should tag him honestly.

Sounds like a good problem to have. I book holiday as well. I'm off till Monday 😌
Yeah, it’s not a terrible problem to have! I’m just not comfortable with progressing with two great games at once. I think I’ll probably leave ER on the back burner until I’m done with my GOW:R play-through, especially since I’ve left it in a pretty decent spot - and because I’ve probably still got 50 hours of game to complete in ER.

Neolombax

I'm 8 hours in and its been a great ride so far. Just finished the first big realm apart from Midgard. My impression is GoW now feels like a proper game, if you get me. It now feels like an adventure, there are more puzzles, more combat options, and theres quite a bit to upgrade as well,not just the gear. Moves that could be upgraded was a nice touch to incentivize using everything during combat. Kratos is much more nimble and it now feels closer to the original trilogy.

Overall I'm very impressed with the gameplay, which I did not entirely expect honestly. I came for the continuation of the father son story but the gameplay is winning me over.

Cyborg

Can anyone explain to me what I need to do to choose from one of these?
  • Favour Resolution – 4K/30FPS Locked
  • Favour Performance – 60 FPS Locked
  • Favour Resolution (High Frame Rate) – 4K/40FPS Locked
  • Favour Performance (High Frame Rate) – Targeting 120 FPS

Example: what do I need to do to play; Favour Resolution (High Frame Rate) – 4K/40FPS? What settings do I need to turn on/off on my PS5 cause ingame I only have two options? I have a LG CX.

Give Me God of War isn't that bad so far. I was expecting to get my teeth pushed in but it's been pretty smooth sailing for the first 2 hours. If it gets ridiculous later on I'll just knock it down but I'm pleased with the difficulty so far.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yes, it is not there anymore.

I'm sorry, but that's not the same thing. The slow but heavy cleave was ultra satisfying to use in the last game, even more so than a finisher.
Maybe you can unlock it in the skill tree?!

That was my favourite move in the entire past game, it was a risky move because the charge up is slow but when it land:messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Give Me God of War isn't that bad so far. I was expecting to get my teeth pushed in but it's been pretty smooth sailing for the first 2 hours. If it gets ridiculous later on I'll just knock it down but I'm pleased with the difficulty so far.
You'll get some optional areas with dome tough stuff. I'm pretty at begging already found a dude covered in fire with orange health bar. Just noped out of it. I'll come back later.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So, are the judges out? Performance or quality mode? I have a PS5 with 4K OLED 144hz tv.
Performance seems the right answer, barely any graphical difference coming from quality mode.

Quality mode with unlocked framerate should be jack of all trades.

Maybe you can unlock it in the skill tree?!

That was my favourite move in the entire past game, it was a risky move because the charge up is slow but when it land:messenger_fire::messenger_fire:
It's still there. Need to unlock it later.

I missed old parry move though. Don't know why they changed that move.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's still there. Need to unlock it later.

I missed old parry move though. Don't know why they changed that move.
No more shield block+shield strong hit that make enemies fly away?

I think you have specialized shields for parry so maybe you just have to find the right shield.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Played just a little bit past the first few enemy encounters. Swapped the heavy and light attack to square and triangle.

Haven’t played far enough to give a real detailed first impression yet

So far so good though. Game has a lot to live up to but you can tell this is going to be one hell of an adventure.

Started off with 30fps mode, tried the 40fps mode and that shit looked like a soap opera, switched back to 30 immediately. Ruined the cinematic feeling. I’m built different :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:
I've only played an hour or so so I'm sure I'll change my tune but I can't help but feel underwhelmed with the presentation so far. Not sure what I was expecting but even Spider-Man Remastered had a bigger jump over PS4. Atreus for example has a really low quality face for a main character while some faces do look amazing so it's quite noticeable. Same with the textures some look great some would have looked bad on PS4. The fur looks like it has come straight out of a budget last gen game.

The game feels exactly like 2018 which I know deep down is a good thing as that was probably my favourite PS4 game but it means it doesn't have the same impact the first one had.

I'm being unfair and I know it as if I had to choose I'd 100% prefer they spent time and money making a good game rather than reinventing the wheel but I've avoided most of the pre-release stuff and have to admit I was expecting it to look much better than it does.

shubik

It's a cross-gen title, hardly a surprise that it doesn't push any boundaries...

I mean yeah its not pushing any boundaries but its clearly better looking than the last one and it still looks better than 95% of all games. The fact that we can play a game with this much fidelity at 60FPS is a generational leap compared to last gen.

I realy don´t get how you can play the first couple of hours and not be impressed. Every single bit of this game oozes love and dedication to the craft.

scydrex

Damn can't wait to play it tonight... don't know which mode if 40fps or 60fps. Will not play in 120fps because my x900g disable local dimming with vrr.

DavidGzz

Fucking awesome already, barely 45 min in. I am going unarmed to see the new kill animations. So good! Love the accessibility option for auto sprint. I swipe the touch pad down for a super quick turnaround. It's like twice as fast as the old game, feels like a mouse turn lol. I'm playing at work on a monitor, can't wait to try the 90fps mode at home.

Last edited:

Hugare

One hour in and I'm weirdly unimpressed by everything so far. Especially the graphics.
Man, reading this is surreal to me

I was ready to see GOW 2018 with better textures, and I've seen lots of footage before playing

But as soon as I started the game, I was really impressed. This is a decent jump from the first game.

It may not look "next gen", but considering that there arent many current gen games being released, its easily one of the best graphics today

Had to force myself to stop playing otherwise I wouldnt be able to wake up and go to work today

Game is wonderful so far. 1st hour pacing is sublime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom