• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok vs God Of War Visual Comparison

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

It looks exactly the same as the PS4 game.

Sony promises us a focus on 'next-gen', but instead all we're getting are upscaled PS4 games.

Wonderful.

forza horizon and horizon forbidden west are proof that cross gen games can have significant upgrades if devs bother. SSM did not.

Even miles and gt7 which look fairly identical at least have ray tracing. No idea why gow was treated like a bastard child by Sony.

Kuranghi

It's not a stupid comparison.

We can only judge by the footage they've provided us. Besides, the game looks quite advanced in development.

If you dislike the use of stupid, then unfair & compromised is maybe better.

Just wait for the game to be released not try to compare it through re-re-encoded footage and trailers that are different resolutions to begin with and then call it a fair comparison. You need direct feed footage of both games for it to be fair, staight away I can tell how degraded the GoW:R is over the 4K youtube video let alone how direct feed would look.

I'm saying the comparison is unfair to both, but more so to GoW 2018, I'm not defending GoW:R.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
forza horizon and horizon forbidden west are proof that cross gen games can have significant upgrades if devs bother. SSM did not.

Even miles and gt7 which look fairly identical at least have ray tracing. No idea why gow was treated like a bastard child by Sony.
GT7 barely looks like an improvement over it's predecessor. I genuinely don't see the point of releasing a much more powerful gaming console when you're not going to use it to it's full potential.

THEAP99

Banned
what makes it even worse is that this game is seemingly taking forever to release even though there is barely an upgrade in gameplay or visuals. animation-wise they're using the same exact shit as well.

and people want to make the excuse "it's a direct sequel that's why" okay so why does horizon look like a bigger upgrade?

what about uncharted on ps3?

truthfully all around, that trailer was underwhelming as FUCK. even the way the trailer was edited was really boring and bare minimum without any climatic reveal or anything.

CheeseCake

Married At First Sight Love GIF by Lifetime

They weren't kidding when they said the Sony showcase broke some people LMAO

Last edited:

SlimySnake

GT7 barely looks like an improvement over it's predecessor. I genuinely don't see the point of releasing a much more powerful gaming console when you're not going to use it to it's full potential.
agreed. GT7 looks so ordinary it's embarrassing. I'm literally embarrassed for the team. They deserve better.

But at least they bothered to add ray tracing. SSM didn't even bother to do that.

CheeseCake

what makes it even worse is that this game is seemingly taking forever to release even though there is barely an upgrade in gameplay or visuals. animation-wise they're using the same exact shit as well.

and people want to make the excuse "it's a direct sequel that's why" okay so why does horizon look like a bigger upgrade?

truthfully all around, that trailer was underwhelming as FUCK. even the way the trailer was edited was really boring and bare minimum without any climatic reveal or anything.

Lmao, this fucking twat.

OZ9000

Banned
agreed. GT7 looks so ordinary it's embarrassing. I'm literally embarrassed for the team. They deserve better.

But at least they bothered to add ray tracing. SSM didn't even bother to do that.
Polyphony used to be the kings of graphics (GT3, GT4, GT5/6 looked fantastic on their respective platforms). However, they re-use a lot of their assets. Many GT5 and GT6 tracks were simply retextures from GT4.

And many GT Sport tracks were 'modifications' of tracks from GT6.

The assets in GT7 appear to be the same as the ones in GT Sport. All in all, we're getting fine refinements as opposed to a significant evolution in the game's visuals.

Yoboman

You do realise those Uncharted cutscenes are pre rendered right?

DeepSpace5D

I’m actually seeing a big difference visually on the left side with Ragnarok, especially in the environment.
That side-by-side comparison doesn’t do your argument favors imo.

But yes the animation for getting in the boat looks the same.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

If you dislike the use of stupid, then unfair & compromised is maybe better.

Just wait for the game to be released not try to compare it through re-re-encoded footage and trailers that are different resolutions to begin with and then call it a fair comparison. You need direct feed footage of both games for it to be fair, staight away I can tell how degraded the GoW:R is over the 4K youtube video let alone how direct feed would look.

I'm saying the comparison is unfair to both, but more so to GoW 2018, I'm not defending GoW:R.
they could render this game in 8k and it will look identical because they did not increase the fidelity. Increasing pixels makes things cleaner but doesn't improve anything else like better character models, better hair, better lighting, more destruction, more NPCs, more foliage, more overall environmental detail. It's literally the same game running at ultra pc settings. Better shadows, better AA, better AF and that's about it.

Horizon is using a brand new Aloy model. Her hair is using new tech. The lightning on her character model is in a league of its own. The water textures are better. The waves look better. It's not just a resolution increase.

Forza horizon is using near photorealistic environments. Its trackside detail looks a gen ahead of gt7 and it's cross gen. Hell, even drive clubs windshield rain effects look a gen ahead of gt7. If it wasn't for ray traced reflections id say PD made zero effort into the next gen versions.

Those graphics details will show up in a 360p stream. You and i both know they won't have upgraded character models and environmental detail by launch. So why wait. This is a perfectly reasonable comparison. Game has been in dev for 3.5 years. It's not going to get new character models all of a sudden.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

I mean, your first comparison gif. The level of detail and scale is 100 times higher.

CheeseCake

they could render this game in 8k and it will look identical because they did not increase the fidelity. Increasing pixels makes things cleaner but doesn't improve anything else like better character models, better hair, better lighting, more destruction, more NPCs, more foliage, more overall environmental detail. It's literally the same game running at ultra pc settings. Better shadows, better AA, better AF and that's about it.

Horizon is using a brand new Aloy model. Her hair is using new tech. The lightning on her character model is in a league of its own. The water textures are better. The waves look better. It's not just a resolution increase.

Forza horizon is using near photorealistic environments. Its trackside detail looks a gen ahead of gt7 and it's cross gen. Hell, even drive clubs windshield rain effects look a gen ahead of gt7. If it wasn't for ray traced reflections id say PD made zero effort into the next gen versions.

Those graphics details will show up in a 360p stream. You and i both know they won't have upgraded character models and environmental detail by launch. So why wait. This is a perfectly reasonable comparison. Game has been in dev for 3.5 years. It's not going to get new character models all of a sudden.

You sound like you're complaining for the sake of complaining, to be honest.

SLB1904

Banned
Question: Did people complain about Resident Evil Village using a lot of assets & animations from Resident Evil: Biohazard?
jokes on you for thinking there was actually merit in this thread. this is straight-up trolling. we are an enthusiastic forum and we still have to explain that compression is a thing 2021 to these 1080p users

yurinka

I'd say that in the areas of the villages and the water, or when it shows the big landscape it looks way better.

In the areas where there are mostly snow looks pretty similar. But maybe it's due to the youtube compression, but I'm watching it in a 1080p display, maybe uncompressed video at 4K there is a bigger difference.

It's a crossgen direct sequel that was started to be developed at least in 2018 and very likely uses cut/dropped stuff from the previous game, I think it's normal to see it pretty similar.

The thing is that unlike the Horizon 2 trailer, here they focus way less on showcasing epic final bosses, impressive cinematics, new mechanics, attacks, locations etc. So the game looks more simlar because they focused more on random gameplay, returning locations, characters, attacks, etc.

I think when playing the game we'll see a bigger improvement in GoWR compared to GoW 2018 than what we saw in this video, but for the little we saw I think HFW will make a bigger jump than GoWR. But in any case, looking at the Sony flickr gallery, GoWR looks top tier level.

Last edited:

McCheese

I get the disappointment, the team pulled off a technical miracle with the PS4, I don't think anybody expected that level of visuals out of such old hardware, and folks were super excited to see that amplified to the PS5, I was expecting a big step up from what we've seen to date given what they did on the PS4.

But yes, it looks... mostly the same as the previous PS4 game, side by side it's better but it's really not a huge difference, far less of a difference than I would have expected given the major power jump from the PS4 to the PS5. It's fine to say this visually is a big letdown, that's not the same as saying it looks bad.

I suspect they are working on another title, and that this maybe isn't their main priority and hasn't been retooled at all for next-gen.

Last edited:

kevm3

Sony pretty much just released footage of large expansion packs of their current games. None of these games looked significantly better than the game that preceded them. It's fine if you want more of the same, but if you wanted to see actual technological progress, look elsewhere. Seems like Sony is taking a safe, 'cost-effective' approach to gaming ala Microsoft...

jaysius

Banned
I hope you complain about TLoU Factions and compare it to TLoU2. TLoU2 and GOW look better than everything else out there.
51441652150_ed46219100_o.jpg

51439937017_3d16f0cf73_4k.jpg

More graphics wasnt a feature I wanted from the sequel. I want different enemy types, different gameplay scenarios, crazy boss fights, just to be more feature rich.
My hope was an end to the fucking babysitting, but it looks like it's now a huge part of the game's enemy design and language to have to use the kid for backup constantly. It was great with the my Xbox Elite Series 1 controller with a X One attached, the game was super sloppy so the extremely mild input lag didn't mess up gameplay, but being able to spam the kid constantly while attacking was great.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
God of War PS4 is one of the best looking games available today. Saying it looks the same is a complement if anything. Having replayed it recently on ps5 I think the model for Freya in the new trailer looks way better than in the previous game. The environments seem more densely detailed as well. When the photo mode update came out on PS4 I sent a couple of pics to a hardcore PCMR friend who said that he was actually impressed (if you knew him you would know that was a big blow for him to admit a PS4 game looked impressive).

The game doesn't look bad by any stretch, but hate gets clicks, so here we are.

assurdum

Banned
Sony pretty much just released footage of large expansion packs of their current games. None of these games looked significantly better than the game that preceded them. It's fine if you want more of the same, but if you wanted to see actual technological progress, look elsewhere. Seems like Sony is taking a safe, 'cost-effective' approach to gaming ala Microsoft...
The hell is that stupid generalisation now.

Kuranghi

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, I still say its not a fair comparison though, you need to see the direct feed to compare them properly. I need to at least, and would recommend others to.

The image quality (I mean resolution/upscaling quality, anti-aliasing quality) is a very important aspect for me, even if the assets are the same. Thats just me, if you aren't being as obsessive as me about it or whatever your reason is then fair enough.

If there was a less obvious difference in how the re-re-encoding has affected the videos and they were a lot better matched up I probably wouldn't say anything, but its just too different here for me.

Top Bottom