• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok vs God Of War Visual Comparison

what makes it even worse is that this game is seemingly taking forever to release even though there is barely an upgrade in gameplay or visuals. animation-wise they're using the same exact shit as well.

and people want to make the excuse "it's a direct sequel that's why" okay so why does horizon look like a bigger upgrade?

what about uncharted on ps3?

truthfully all around, that trailer was underwhelming as FUCK. even the way the trailer was edited was really boring and bare minimum without any climatic reveal or anything.

I'm stunned people actually think this way.. How do you know there's barely any upgrade in gameplay when we still know so little about the game? You think visuals alone are the only reason for a game to take a good long while to release? You're not even considering all the new content and areas they may need or want to build, set pieces and cutscenes they may have to complete, new systems that they may be adding on, but just weren't ready to showcase just yet.

They may very well be updating all kinds of things, especially on the visual side of things, but simply just not be there yet. Any sequel they will build it will obviously be starting with the fantastic foundation they already have from the first game. Meaning, yes, reusing a lot of content, such as combat animations, weapons, locations and making adjustments where necessary. Remember the game is clearly quite a ways off. Nothing prevents them from authoring in more complex animations or systems for the PS5 by the time it's closer to release. It isn't even listed for a 2022 release date, much less 2023 like Spider-Man 2. It appears they just wanted to show SOMETHING, and so they gave us this.

When has this studio ever really let down on their quality? People are way too quick to rush to judgment I say. We may not be getting a drastically reinvented God of War: Ragnarock, but why is a sequel to one of the best games released on last gen consoles with a new story and enhancements in key areas (which nobody can seriously claim don't exist yet) not good enough? I'm glad I never let graphical fidelity and pure wow factor dictate my gaming experience or else it'd be a more boring hobby.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Jesus, when did we stop enjoying games cause you know, they're fucking great and started complaining that the reflections in the windows do no reflect my huge cock when I look at them. Are you all fucking 5?

Buy it on your base ps4 then. Bunch of whining about dumb shit. I guess people only play games for graphics. Hope you don't own a Switch.
I dont understand these fucking posts. Y'all acting like graphics are some unimportant, worthless feature in a game?.If you don't want to see the medium evolve visually then just dont ever buying a new console or upgrading your rig. Stick to what you have and never buy anything new. How dare people want better looking games. What clown ass responses.

Last edited:

SLESS

The game looks amazing to me they have taken something that looks incredible on PS4 and polished it, I cannot wait to play this. GoW:R, KOTOR Remake, Callisto Protocol and Dead Space remake make for an exciting few years in gaming for me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Married At First Sight Love GIF by Lifetime

They weren't kidding when they said the Sony showcase broke some people LMAO

BRUH! Some people are losing their minds!

drotahorror

This is nonsense. They all look amazing but they can EASILY be topped. Horizon Forbidden West looks magnitudes better than all of them.

If by mid-late gen we aren't looking back and saying "ew" at those games, then this will be the worst gen in the history of gaming.

Its sad to see a "gaming enthusiast" forum so easily satisfied with everything long as its 60 fps.

have some standards FFS :messenger_loudly_crying: This is a PS4 game passing as a PS5 one people, its ok to be disappointed.

Well no shit it's a PS4 game. It's on the damn console hah. Could they have put some more effort into the PS5 port? Sure. Maybe they did, we don't know anything.

It looks like a ps4 upscaled which it is. Doesnt make me less excited cause I wasnt expecting to be blown away. i think people misunderstand how long true next gen games take to releases.

if someone is doing a comparison video they need to line things up so we can compare them directly which this does not do at all. I will say the faces look better in the new game for sure, better detail, the skin looks better etc but it's also cut scenes. We also can't forget that this is going to be running in a higher native resolution and likely have graphical effects that the PS4 version won't.

recursive

I dont understand these fucking posts. Y'all acting like graphics are some unimportant, worthless feature in a game?.If you don't want to see the medium evolve visually then just dont ever buying a new console or upgrading your rig. Stick to what you have and never buy anything new. How dare people want better looking games. What clown ass responses.
I don't understand your post. It's garbage. Do you play games or graphics? We go through the same bullshit the first year or 2 of every new console generation. Graphics evolve over every gen. This must be your first. Cope.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Can’t get distracted by graphics great to see god of war 1 on 1 with any game it’s going to win.

Banned
people really need to understand the following: THESE NEW CONSOLES AREN'T MUCH BETTER IN PUSHING PIXELS AS THEIR PREDECESSORS! it's really that easy... so of course it looks almost the same, just like Spider-Man 2 will look basically like Miles Morales.

the PS5's GPU is slightly more than 2.3x as powerful as the GPU of the PS4Pro, and the Series X's GPU is slightly more than 2x as powerful as the GPU of the One X
this means you either get 2x the graphical detail or 2x the framerate at most. the only little extra is some raytracing effects sprinkled into the mix of it, but that's it.

Running God of War in back compat mode at 60fps is already pushing the PS5's GPU hard. you only can add so much to that until you reach the limit of what's possible on these new consoles.

now add to that the fact that we are dealing with diminishing returns in terms of observable improvements as we already have games with very high amounts of detail, so adding additional detail ontop will only really be visible if you actually know what to look for. there might be a bit more grass on the ground, or LOD pop-in will be less noticable due to a slughtly higher drawdistance etc.

the real upgrade this generation is the CPU and the SSD, both of which give developers the chance to actually make their games run well this time, so we don't have to deal with shitty 30fps anymore or stutters and super long loading.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Given the video comparison, the GOW PS5 does look clearer. Whether its due to to the video quality or not, the PS4 game looks a little blurry.

The gameplay looks the same.

I think a more soul crushing facet of the game is the kid giving Kratos tips on how to be a father and adventurer every 2 minutes, because you know - a teenager knows everything in life. lol.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol Exactly. I know there is a defense force for everything, but this stuff goes against console generations, and we are literally in the 8th generation. The standards have been set, and people are within their rights to expect a bigger upgrade than just a resolution boost as if this is some kind of mid gen refresh.

And it's not just visuals. If GoW didnt look identical even the gameplay department it wouldve been mostly received well like Horizon was. GG added new melee moves, a hang glider, destructible environments on top of improving the visuals. In the GoW trailer, the only thing that looked different was more enemy variety and a snow covered world. Horizon did a much better job selling its new features which might not be next gen but they came across as newish and fresh.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
people really need to understand the following: THESE NEW CONSOLES AREN'T MUCH BETTER IN PUSHING PIXELS AS THEIR PREDECESSORS! it's really that easy... so of course it looks almost the same, just like Spider-Man 2 will look basically like Miles Morales.

the PS5's GPU is slightly more than 2.3x as powerful as the GPU of the PS4Pro, and the Series X's GPU is slightly more than 2x as powerful as the GPU of the One X
this means you either get 2x the graphical detail or 2x the framerate at most. the only little extra is some raytracing effects sprinkled into the mix of it, but that's it.

Running God of War in back compat mode at 60fps is already pushing the PS5's GPU hard. you only can add so much to that until you reach the limit of what's possible on these new consoles.

now add to that the fact that we are dealing with diminishing returns in terms of observable improvements as we already have games with very high amounts of detail, so adding additional detail ontop will only really be visible if you actually know what to look for. there might be a bit more grass on the ground, or LOD pop-in will be less noticable due to a slughtly higher drawdistance etc.

the real upgrade this generation is the CPU and the SSD, both of which give developers the chance to actually make their games run well this time, so we don't have to deal with shitty 30fps anymore or stutters and super long loading.
And add in the fact the newest consoles are BC, so it's much easier to do cross gen. As you said, use up some power for BC boosts. This keeps last gen gamers happy and the new gen gamers still get something different and a touch better.

But the games are so close in core mechanics and graphics, you dont have devs trying to do different games for entirely different systems with Grand Canyon power differences. Thats why you get Resistance and UC on PS3 and not a horrendously dumbed down version on PS2. Technically, Sony could had ported a version of these games to PS2 if they wanted to to sell to 150 million consoles.

Last edited:

Represent.

I don't understand your post. It's garbage. Do you play games or graphics? We go through the same bullshit the first year or 2 of every new console generation. Graphics evolve over every gen. This must be your first. Cope.
Another lame ass reply. Does everything satisfy you? Do you have standards?
Look I can do the same thing.

Do you watch movies or do you watch visual effects? Visual effects take big ass blockbuster action movies to a whole new level. VFX in movies are the equivalent to graphics in games. And guess what... GOW is a big ass blockbuster action game. Better graphics would objectively make it a superior experience.

So when it looks like the previous game, it is disappointing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If you need to pair them side by side to see a difference, it's not worthy of consideration at all.

recursive

Another lame ass reply. Does everything satisfy you? Do you have standards?
Look I can do the same thing.

Do you watch movies or do you watch visual effects? Visual effects take big ass blockbuster action movies to a whole new level. VFX in movies are the equivalent to graphics in games. And guess what... GOW is a big ass blockbuster action game. Better graphics would objectively make it a superior experience.

So when it looks like the previous game, it is disappointing.
Bruv just take a knee. Your argument is zoomer tier with no substance. Graphics do not define a game and its worth. Visual effects do not define a movie. You have a narrow-minded view of quality which is really not worth considering or discussing.

molly14

People need to get their eye's tested, if they think it looks EXACTLY like ps4 game

The draw distance when Kratos was standing on the ledge and the detail in the village when he was in the canoe was miles beyond what the ps4 can do.

People are just plain trolling here

TLZ

Banned

It looks exactly the same as the PS4 game.

Sony promises us a focus on 'next-gen', but instead all we're getting are upscaled PS4 games.

Wonderful.

Expect this the first couple years as usual with every gen. It's mid to end of gen where you usually see the impressive stuff.

Represent.

Bruv just take a knee. Your argument is zoomer tier with no substance. Graphics do not define a game and its worth. Visual effects do not define a movie. You have a narrow-minded view of quality which is really not worth considering or discussing.
Yes... visual effects do not effect a big blockbuster movie at all.

Avatar would be what it was without the incredible graphics.

Jurassic Park would be as successful and memorable as it was with crappy CGI dinosaurs instead of the ones they built.

The T-1000 and its groundbreaking CGI were all irrelevant to Terminator 2....

Graphics dont matter. Right? :messenger_loudly_crying:

This is what you're saying. Your argument is quite frankly, retarded.

Graphics take shit to the next level. Period. If you cant see that, then quit the medium. Goes for films and games.

Last edited:
Expect this the first couple years as usual with every gen. It's mid to end of gen where you usually see the impressive stuff.
Inut we are talking about a game released 2 full years after launch, maybe even 3.

Would you even notice a different between playing it on a PS5 and a PS4???

TLZ

Banned
Miles morales, horizon and God of war are just more of the same which I believe it's not what we want. We want better stories, better gameplay, better graphics but this looks to be God of War expansion.
You're describing all sequels basically.

I loved GOW 2018, so I know I'm going to love this one. That being said it definitely looks like a cross gen game that is reusing a bunch of assets. Reminds me of Miles Morales, except they didn't change the character models in this one. Honestly though, I'm not sure what more could be expected in 3 year development time. It does suck that we don't get any of the Sony heavy hitters completely made from the ground up for PS5 for the first few years.

TLZ

Banned
Inut we are talking about a game released 2 full years after launch, maybe even 3.

Would you even notice a different between playing it on a PS5 and a PS4???
I don't know. I haven't played it yet. Will see how it looks and plays then.

Also, covid made things worse with development times and extended them a bit. GoW would've most probably been a 2021 game.

farmerboy

If you think it looks the same, then the time must be being spent on content. Which may lend credence to the 40hr playthrough rumour.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Totally.

There's always some gems at the beginning, but the real heavy hitters come later. But for consoles historically, theyve never been tethered with BC like now. Dev can easily make different versions and gamers dont want their digital files left in the dust so keep supporting the old systems until I feel like upgrading. It was more about clean cut offs or the studio making two very different versions.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The last game looked beautiful at release and *still* looks great to this day. We have far surpassed the point where graphics matter and it is only ever brought up by sad little console warriors or mental midgets who want to wave their money around.

The only things that truly matter anymore are a game's narrative, its moment to moment gameplay, and overall experience.

Stooky

I see better lighting, better shaders, high res textures. Main Character Models you wont see that much of an upgrade because Kratos poly count is already very high on PS4. In this case it could be diminishing returns, better mesh deformation, shaders and textures would get way more mileage . On PS5 we should see more on screen enemies with more complex animations, models, on character physics objects, better particles, more detail in the background overall. The IQ will be much higher. Alot of this is in the trailer.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Infontbyhi
lol Exactly. I know there is a defense force for everything, but this stuff goes against console generations, and we are literally in the 8th generation. The standards have been set, and people are within their rights to expect a bigger upgrade than just a resolution boost as if this is some kind of mid gen refresh.

And it's not just visuals. If GoW didnt look identical even the gameplay department it wouldve been mostly received well like Horizon was. GG added new melee moves, a hang glider, destructible environments on top of improving the visuals. In the GoW trailer, the only thing that looked different was more enemy variety and a snow covered world. Horizon did a much better job selling its new features which might not be next gen but they came across as newish and fresh.

Santa Monica just showed a cinematic teaser, and even then we can get some pretty good info - I am seeing a big increase in enemy variety, what looks like some much more lively and lived-in areas (the original felt barren and almost post-apocalyptic), new combat moves, and some new special attacks by Atreus.

Will it have as many upgrades as Horizon: FW? Time will tell, but we didn't know much from Horizon's original cinematic either. But Horizon had much more to improve on. As I mentioned before, I don't need a reinvention here. Just give me a God of War 1 to God of War 2 upgrade and I will be more than happy.

Top Bottom