• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok vs God Of War Visual Comparison

nbkicker

Well thats sony pulling everyone in on we believe in generations to get everyone on board with the ps5, you might as well have called it the ps4 pro 2, cause unless the game is built just for the the ps5 its gonna be like a pc where playing on meduim settings at 30 (ps4) or high settings at 60 (ps5)

I dont understand these fucking posts. Y'all acting like graphics are some unimportant, worthless feature in a game?.If you don't want to see the medium evolve visually then just dont ever buying a new console or upgrading your rig. Stick to what you have and never buy anything new. How dare people want better looking games. What clown ass responses.

Dont be an idiot. No one said about not caring. Games can certainly evolve visually but not just that. God of War looks great. It does not look worse nor does it look like a piece of shit, and as long as these hold up, no reason for dumb ass threads like these. No one gives a shit that Elden Ring looks like open world Dark Souls 3 but when its an exclusive we're talking about, everyone starts taking coocoo pills. You're a clown.

Moses85

Sony fans got pampered the whole PS4 Generation… thats the reason they complain about things they don’t have to complain about.

I would suggest you guys need a Xbox One Era with Bullshit Games and visuals to get grounded again.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You sound like you're complaining for the sake of complaining, to be honest.
You sound like you are deflecting\defending for the same reason to be even more honest.

This is a forum, it's a topic about a comparison, if you only want to hear compliments go to the sony topic or what the hell you people have as a safe space.

Gow 2018 was my second gotg from past gen, i would buy the game even without seeing half a second of gameplay and i probably gonna play at being daddy kratos for 100 hours straight.

It doesn't mean that i can't complain for the relatively small jump compared to the 2018 game in terms of graphics, it doens't make me an hater.

The game still has to run a fucking 10 years old hardware that was already shit when it released.

The game still gonna have the same slow movements and traversal and level design to accomadate the ps4 hardware and his super slow 5400rpm hard disk.

People expecting the game looking 10x better in the span of a year when we NEVER had something similar with any other sony game is just strange.

Even the games like unchy4 or days gone or horizon that had some improvements from the first trailers, didn't looked much better, just small details added here and there (they also had downgrades, so...)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hopefully its a much longer and larger game. There seems to be alot more enemy types, npcs etc.
My only complaint about GOW 2018 was it was a bit too short for me and not enough bosses
I mean, if you explore and do everything in hard mode it is easily a 40-50+ hours game, more if you play on gimme the god of war mode.

that's why i expect a personal first run around 100 hours for the sequel 🕺

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ragnarok look like a game made on the same console a few years after the first one. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It definitely does not look like a game designed for a new, more powerful console. If you think it does, you’re a bit delusional.

Last edited:

SpokkX

It really does look almost identical. A bit better textures in the new one

It could pass for dlc to GoW in almost every way - being shacked to ps4 hardware makes it impossible to push further i guess

I will still be fun - but hardly surprising or fresh

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Same animations. Same gameplay. Same character models. If I didn't squint, I would think it was DLC. That's fine for a sequel that comes out in 2 years. I did expect a bigger jump.

All I can really see is increased resolution, and a little bit more detail and intricacy on some of the environments.

Even the narrative of the trailer was a little cumbersome, since 90% of it was just Boy bickering with his dad in dialogue that literally sounded exactly like all the stuff we just played. I didn't see a noteworthy wow moment in terms of combat choreography either, with nothing jumping out at me aside from a lizard biting him. No new weapons or gameplay additions shown off.

I will probably cave and buy the game despite the price hike, because I loved the last one. But this was a bad showing honestly. The trailer was not that exciting, and I'm sure there is some exciting stuff in the game. It was not edited together that well. The ending had a nice little jokey line at the end, but that was about it.
Very well said. It's the same engine with no real improvement. It looks like the game was developed on the PS4, and they ported it to 4K just for the PS5.

The narrative sucks because Kratos is suddenly this wise old anti-war weeaboo. The violence also appears to be toned town. I preferred it when Kratos went on a rampage where he ripped and teared the shit out of everything.

OZ9000

Banned
Has our man NXGamer NXGamer posted anything up yet?, if there's one person I trust to a: make me eat my words and b: prove how big a leap it actually is, it'll be this guy and the dudes from DF.

I recently watched the 4K trailer and it does look incredible, some scenes are absolutely brimming with detail and some look straight out of the original game but it's a definite improvement I think we where all just expecting something bombastic and spectacular
I don't need an internet Youtuber to tell me if a game has better visuals or not.

It's quite plain and simple to see - there is no obvious graphical leap between GOW and GOW:R.

Sharper textures and better character models don't mean shit, when the base game already had very detailed models and textures.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think it went a little like this. GoW 2016 was worked on for years, a shit ton of assets and content was created, but the actually gameplay and figuring out what even works (including using the game loop on existing bosses, interaction with different enemy types etc.) was done last minute. At that time they had a lot of content but could only put a fraction of it in the game for release, because of time constraints. That meant a lot less Boss fights then usual, weak enemy variety and unpopulated game world.

After GoW 2016 they used all the unused assets for the sequel and that's where we are right now. Would also explain why DLC was not even in the cards, they already worked on part II knowing that if they want to reuse these assets its needs to be a early cross gen game.

I bet this game would have come out already if not for covid.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think it went a little like this. GoW 2016 was worked on for years, a shit ton of assets and content was created, but the actually gameplay and figuring out what even works (including using the game loop on existing bosses, interaction with different enemy types etc.) was done last minute. At that time they had a lot of content but could only put a fraction of it in the game for release, because of time constraints. That meant a lot less Boss fights then usual, weak enemy variety and unpopulated game world.

After GoW 2016 they used all the unused assets for the sequel and that's where we are right now. Would also explain why DLC was not even in the cards, they already worked on part II knowing that if they want to reuse these assets its needs to be a early cross gen game.

I bet this game would have come out already if not for covid.

Once you forget any idea that this is a Ps5 game, it all feels a lot more impressive. Exactly what you’d expect from a company of SSM’s quality for a sequel running on the same hardware.

It‘s a shame Sony are trying to market the game as one on Ps5 frankly. It’s hurting the hype, not helping it.

Last edited:

pratyush

Not sure what constitutes a "PS5 game". You people are like annoying teenager who wants to complain about everything. All this moaning over a YouTube video. In other thread people losing their mind over Redfall alpha footage. As if something doesn't look like modern world, graphics becomes bad.

Art direction of GOW will always look similar to PS4 version. If you can't spot character details and overall image improvement then you are delusional or just plain fanboy. I can understand being not overwhelmed as it looks similar but there is not a lot they can do to completely change the world. They can't just chuck out the overall theme and start doing skyscrapers with Ray traced windows to please you guys.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't need an internet Youtuber to tell me if a game has better visuals or not.

It's quite plain and simple to see - there is no obvious graphical leap between GOW and GOW:R.

Sharper textures and better character models don't mean shit, when the base game already had very detailed models and textures.
It's not so much relying on a Youtuber to tell me if a game looks better than what I can see with my own eyes, it's more explaining the technological side and pointing out the details I wouldn't have naturally picked up, sure the 2 models of Kratos looks the same but I'm sure on closer inspection theres a whole shit load more going on than my eye would pick up but after having it pointed out and explained, your understanding improves and now you can see it more clearly kinda thing plus NXGamer NXGamer vids are great to watch with a cuppa and choccy biscuit

Aion002

I think that it looks fine. GoW PS4 still is extremely pretty, this one being also available on ps4 justify the graphics not changing much...

I believe that it will be awesome on the PS5 running at 60 frames, higher resolution, more effects and stuff.

SkylineRKR

Not sure what constitutes a "PS5 game". You people are like annoying teenager who wants to complain about everything. All this moaning over a YouTube video. In other thread people losing their mind over Redfall alpha footage. As if something doesn't look like modern world, graphics becomes bad.

Art direction of GOW will always look similar to PS4 version. If you can't spot character details and overall image improvement then you are delusional or just plain fanboy. I can understand being not overwhelmed as it looks similar but there is not a lot they can do to completely change the world. They can't just chuck out the overall theme and start doing skyscrapers with Ray traced windows to please you guys.

I think if the environmental details are upgraded, there is some RT stuff going on, 60fps persists and some other tweaks here (more interactivity and destruction) and there along with the eliminated load times when entering areas and switching realms the game is fine as is. GoW when played on PS5 is one of the best looking games on a console right now. Its that the game looked so good to begin with, that people are disappointed in the sequel right now.

I haven't seen the footage in 4k yet either.

Velius

Banned
I don't want people pointing out the obvious shortcomings of the game, what a bunch of crybabies.
Everyone should be hyped about cross gen games, we get to pay more money for next gen games with less production, 2 years into a new generation, be grateful people! don't be crybabies! how you dare to be ungrateful!

Star Trek Facepalm GIF by Naughty Dog
You didn't get enough likes for this.

I'm in the camp that likes that they're using the same engine, and is betting that they used the extra time/money to really enhance the combat and game size.

But this is still hilarious

yurinka

It really does look almost identical. A bit better textures in the new one
I think if the environmental details are upgraded, there is some RT stuff going on, 60fps persists and some other tweaks here (more interactivity and destruction) and there along with the eliminated load times when entering areas and switching realms the game is fine as is. GoW when played on PS5 is one of the best looking games on a console right now. Its that the game looked so good to begin with, that people are disappointed in the sequel right now.

I haven't seen the footage in 4k yet either.
Download its properly compressed 4K version from Gamersyde. Compared to the stream or youtube version it almost looks like another game even in a 1080p display. It looks stunning, with an insane level of detail.

Regarding the environments the snow parts look 'weak'/too similar to the previous one, but the villages and combat parts look so amazing.

It could pass for dlc to GoW in almost every way
Because is a dlc stand alone like morales...is not gow 2
Next year gow 2 like insomniac with morales and spiderman 2
Feeling Silly Season 3 GIF by Living Single

Not sure what constitutes a "PS5 game".
A PS5 game is a game that runs natively on a PS5. If you buy them in a store they have a PS5 logo in their box.

So much for 'we believe in Generations ' :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well thats sony pulling everyone in on we believe in generations to get everyone on board with the ps5, you might as well have called it the ps4 pro 2, cause unless the game is built just for the the ps5 its gonna be like a pc where playing on meduim settings at 30 (ps4) or high settings at 60 (ps5)
They don’t believe in generations. They believe about cross-gen, awful practices and PC support that is better than their own console.
In the 'we believe in generations' interview Jimbo never said they were going to avoid crossgen games. He said almost the opposite.

He said they were going to continue supporting PS4 during a least 2 or 3 years after the PS5 release and explained the reasoning behind it. He also mentioned he wanted to make sure that games on PS5 support the new features like adaptative triggers, haptic feedback, 3D audio, almost instant loadings with the SSD etc.

What they are doing is pretty much exactly what he mentioned there.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ
It's cross gen, this was always the worry about them. However if you look at the 4k trailer it does look better, just not as much as I hoped. With all that said, I can't wait to finish the story and looks like they fixed the complaint about the variety of the enemies.

Amiga

graphics of PS4 GOW on 60fps with smoother textures and improved levels is awesome actually. PS5 is supposed to to be scalable with last gen so developers can focused on content creation and just dial up settings. it's why we got a ton of 1st party games already.

I want a console for games content on a good level of advanced fidelity. save the graphics showcase for $4000 rigs.

Kokoloko85

I mean, if you explore and do everything in hard mode it is easily a 40-50+ hours game, more if you play on gimme the god of war mode.

that's why i expect a personal first run around 100 hours for the sequel 🕺

Yeah I just want a longer campaign/story mode and more bosses. More side quests by the NPC’s would be awesome too.

I enjoyed it alot and platinum‘d it but the story was over too fast for me. I was like, thats the end? Amazing game though

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Has our man NXGamer NXGamer posted anything up yet?, if there's one person I trust to a: make me eat my words and b: prove how big a leap it actually is, it'll be this guy and the dudes from DF.

I recently watched the 4K trailer and it does look incredible, some scenes are absolutely brimming with detail and some look straight out of the original game but it's a definite improvement I think we where all just expecting something bombastic and spectacular
Digital Foundry already came out and said the game looks disappointing and cross gen as fuck.
Dont be an idiot. No one said about not caring. Games can certainly evolve visually but not just that. God of War looks great. It does not look worse nor does it look like a piece of shit, and as long as these hold up, no reason for dumb ass threads like these. No one gives a shit that Elden Ring looks like open world Dark Souls 3 but when its an exclusive we're talking about, everyone starts taking coocoo pills. You're a clown.
I never said it looks worse or like a piece of shit. I said it looks disappointing. Which it does. Those 2 posts I quoted quite literally were in the vein of them not caring about visuals in games. Thats why I quoted them.. And Elden Ring looks like fucking trash, FROM is trash graphically, Bloodborne looked like dog shit, unplayable, I don't buy any of their games for that reason. And I won't be buying elden ring. You picked the wrong guy to use Ellen ring as an example on. Try again

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Digital Foundry already came out and said the game looks disappointing and cross gen as fuck.

Did they? Where?

I mean. It looks cross-gen. You expect more from SSM if they were trying to target next-gen hardware alone. But the reality is, it's top 3 best looking games of all time as it stands now. That includes anything revealed or released.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Did they? Where?

I mean. It looks cross-gen. You expect more from SSM if they were trying to target next-gen hardware alone. But the reality is, it's top 3 best looking games of all time as it stands now. That includes anything revealed or released.

time stamped. they said it was esp noticeable after seeing spider man 2 as well.

hussar16

what makes it even worse is that this game is seemingly taking forever to release even though there is barely an upgrade in gameplay or visuals. animation-wise they're using the same exact shit as well.

and people want to make the excuse "it's a direct sequel that's why" okay so why does horizon look like a bigger upgrade?

what about uncharted on ps3?

truthfully all around, that trailer was underwhelming as FUCK. even the way the trailer was edited was really boring and bare minimum without any climatic reveal or anything.

its not the animations that are at fault but the camera work its constantly behind of kratos being static instead of activelty moving where ur attacking at

pratyush

time stamped. they said it was esp noticeable after seeing spider man 2 as well.

He said "he doesn't know if they are selling it short if they say it looked like cross gen game" at the start only. Maybe you should give it a re-watch. It's 3 min teaser and still has 1 year more left in development. You people are losing your mind over absolutely nothing. It looks better than any game out there and watch the 4k uncompressed video on decent monitor, you will find it way better than YouTube video.

As someone else said, detailed environment with improved lighting will make it even more detailed than what it is right now. But there are obvious limitations on the world design partly due to hardware and partly because it's direct sequel.

Last edited:

peronmls

This series is now mainstream. What did anyone expect? Better graphics? lol It has a fanbase to sell now and doesn't need to try.

Lethal01

He said "he doesn't know if they are selling it short if they say it looked like cross gen game" at the start only. Maybe you should give it a re-watch. It's 3 min teaser and still has 1 year more left in development. You people are losing your mind over absolutely nothing. It looks better than any game out there and watch the 4k uncompressed video on decent monitor, you will find it way better than YouTube video.

As someone else said, detailed environment with improved lighting will make it even more detailed than what it is right now. But there are obvious limitations on the world design partly due to hardware and partly because it's direct sequel.

They say "There was some hope that it would be pushing things to the next level, but it looks like a continuation" As in, it's not pushing things to the next level.

They are very clearly stating it doesn't look much better and said that Horizon look more clearly next gen.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Their comments basically said the same thing I did. GOWR is still like top tier in terms of visuals and way better looking than most Cross-Gen titles.

it seems like only Insomniac games is really pushing next-gen right now.

pratyush

They say "There was some hope that it would be pushing things to the next level, but it looks like a continuation" As in, it's not pushing things to the next level.

They are very clearly stating it doesn't look much better and said that Horizon look more clearly next gen.
But that part we already knew. World design they can't completely change due it being on PS4 also but people are saying it's a DLC are just trolling at the moment. If you look at the game in isolation, it looks fantastic and ahead of any game that will release in near future.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This series is now mainstream. What did anyone expect? Better graphics? lol It has a fanbase to sell now and doesn't need to try.
Yup. The game doesn't even have blood like the old games which was major splatters all over the place.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

That's very different from what the OP said "disappointing and cross-gen as fuck"

Top Bottom