• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok vs God Of War Visual Comparison

FunkMiller

Gold Member
To achieve this they would have needed to release the game at least 2 or 3 years later. As far as we know, UE5 is the first engine that takes full advantage of the new things and still isn't ready. So obviously games taking full advantage of UE5 still don't exist. If the full UE5 gets released at the end of this year and someone releases a mastering it in a couple of years, that release would be at the end of 2023. So apply the same for the other engines: in the case of Sony, maybe Spider-Man 2 will be the first one to fully take advantage of the next gen.

Agreed.

It probably would have done Sony a lot of favours to market Ragnarok as a Ps4 game primarily. Would have avoided a lot of the underwhelming mood that accompanied the trailer on Thursday.

Banjo64

cumsessed
When has this studio ever really let down on their quality?

wPqagGY.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ascension is the least good but it's still better than most of the 60 metacritic yellows we've had on Xbox One.
‘When has this studio ever really let down on their quality?’

Was the question. I don’t think anyone was talking about Xbox, but nice contribution.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

The entire game just feels like a huge DLC. with any luck the entire studio is not working only on this and they have been working on a proper ps5 sequel so we do not have to wait until fucking 2025 for it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The entire game just feels like a huge DLC. with any luck the entire studio is not working only on this and they have been working on a proper ps5 sequel so we do not have to wait until fucking 2025 for it.

Not quite.

The SSM ‘main’ team are probably working on Barlog’s secret game.

Wise development move. A smaller B team can handle Rangarok easily because they have all the assets from game one. Barlog’s new thing is likely Ps5 exclusive and a lot more demanding.

Paulxo87

Not quite.

Wise development move. A smaller B team can handle Rangarok easily because they have all the assets from game one. Barlog’s new thing is likely Ps5 exclusive and a lot more demanding.

I forgot that rumored game was a thing. Makes sense

Keihart

Both of these games being cross gen has not affected their overall presentation. Other publishers on purely next gen will have a hard time topping what Guerrilla Games and SM Studios will do. The future is looking bright for everyone really
Lay off the cool aid, it's making you see things.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

There have been those inaccessible few worlds in God of War, they've always meant to follow up the game like this. I wonder if save games persist? You'll probably lose everything after the prologue or something but its odd if you start bare bones again. I put in work for that fucking valkyrie armor, let alone players who got the Zeus stuff.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
‘When has this studio ever really let down on their quality?’

Was the question. I don’t think anyone was talking about Xbox, but nice contribution.

Do you expect God of War Ragnarok to be a let down?

Let's be real here - Ascension was a game that looked to have some mixed direction. After God of War 3 closed the Kratos story it seemed like they didn't really know where to go, so they dabbled in MP and did a prequel of sorts.

I expect God of War Ragnarok to be a God of War 1 ---> God of War 2 type of title. Bigger, better, grander in every single way. A hyperfocused team that knew their vision and just executed on it, setting the standard in production values for a videogame.

Ragnarok team is coming off a highly praised and successful re-invention and now they are simply executing on a bigger sequel. We are not seeing as many graphical upgrades or dramatic gameplay changes, but that also leaves the team open to execute on a massive sequel...which I suspect is exactly what they've done

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not quite.

That's not how it works, the opposite actually

Barlog has a very small team devoted to prototyping the next game after God of War: R. Whenever production is finished on Ragnarok (which most of the studio is working on now), they will move on to his game.

YukiOnna

Not quite.

There's no A team/B Team AFAIK. Barlog is Creative Director on Ragnarok and he said the company's focused on getting this game out first.

Miles morales, horizon and God of war are just more of the same which I believe it's not what we want. We want better stories, better gameplay, better graphics but this looks to be God of War expansion.

Sometimes more of the same foundational elements is PRECISELY what gamers want and need. You don't automatically have to re-invent the wheel every time. They did that the first time with God of War when they gave us a whole new formula for the God of War series, a new style. Now why in the world when it proved so successful do you automatically expect them to up and abandon it? They will give you new enemies, they will give you new areas and locations, a new conflict, new enemies, may bring back characters for a specific purpose to further tell a new story. At any rate, it represents an entirely new adventure. Miles Morales, though that truly felt like an expansion rather than something entirely new, it still served as a nice warm up act for the next big thing spider-man 2.

God of War, Horizon and even the Spider-Man games need not completely reinvent the formula that they've already proven works to give us new, exciting adventures in each game's respective universe.

Halo Infinite in my opinion is undergoing the same transformation in its core story campaign as what God of War or even Gears 5 did when each of those transitioned to something more hub open world like. That change for Halo Infinite is a huge part of why I'm more excited for this new game than any in years. And depending on how well it works, you can rest assured that any and all future mainline Halo titles will lean heavily on the foundation they are building with Halo Infinite. It's part of the reason they're calling it a platform for the next 10 years of Halo.

What Insomniac started with Spider-Man is the blueprint going forward for all Spider-Man games, just as God of War 2018 is the blueprint for all God of War games for the forseeable future. We don't know based on that short trailer there's no new gameplay, we don't even know there won't be better graphics (cause there already are, but it's not releasing yet, so it has time to become even better), and we surely don't know from such a short trailer that the game's story won't be new or good. After playing the first game I don't know how ANYBODY can seriously doubt what Santa Monica is getting ready to give us with this game. And I say all this as someone who didn't find Sony's show that impressive, though it had some nice stuff in it.

Hugare

Id like to see ray tracing enabled seeing as there appears to be a lot of overhead to fit in. Have RT and performance modes
The environments are mostly made of rocks, non reflective materials.

Implementing RT for some gold statues and etc. would be some waste of resources.

Sometimes more of the same foundational elements is PRECISELY what gamers want and need. You don't automatically have to re-invent the wheel every time. They did that the first time with God of War when they gave us a whole new formula for the God of War series, a new style. Now why in the world when it proved so successful do you automatically expect them to up and abandon it? They will give you new enemies, they will give you new areas and locations, a new conflict, new enemies, may bring back characters for a specific purpose to further tell a new story. At any rate, it represents an entirely new adventure. Miles Morales, though that truly felt like an expansion rather than something entirely new, it still served as a nice warm up act for the next big thing spider-man 2.

God of War, Horizon and even the Spider-Man games need not completely reinvent the formula that they've already proven works to give us new, exciting adventures in each game's respective universe.

Halo Infinite in my opinion is undergoing the same transformation in its core story campaign as what God of War or even Gears 5 did when each of those transitioned to something more hub open world like. That change for Halo Infinite is a huge part of why I'm more excited for this new game than any in years. And depending on how well it works, you can rest assured that any and all future mainline Halo titles will lean heavily on the foundation they are building with Halo Infinite. It's part of the reason they're calling it a platform for the next 10 years of Halo.

What Insomniac started with Spider-Man is the blueprint going forward for all Spider-Man games, just as God of War 2018 is the blueprint for all God of War games for the forseeable future. We don't know based on that short trailer there's no new gameplay, we don't even know there won't be better graphics (cause there already are, but it's not releasing yet, so it has time to become even better), and we surely don't know from such a short trailer that the game's story won't be new or good. After playing the first game I don't know how ANYBODY can seriously doubt what Santa Monica is getting ready to give us with this game. And I say all this as someone who didn't find Sony's show that impressive, though it had some nice stuff in it.
It's not about reinventing the formula though. The basic thing for a sequel is to introduce new characters and new areas and at least some minor graphical updates. Ragnarok's trailer showed us the same characters, the same areas.and the same graphics, that's why it feels like an expansion.

I'm trying to remember a sequel of a game that uses the same three things but I just can't remember any

basically look the same. don't see any reason to play it on PS5 lol. scalpers done me a favour helping me not waste money. will play it on PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm guessing the only difference will be 60 fps with 4k checkerboard and ray tracing.

But none of that was showed in the trailer so I don't know what the fuck is Sony doing. Did they show the PS4 version of the game ???

yurinka

Not quite.

It isn't a smaller game. It's the AAA sequel of one of the best games of the generation, that accoring to Jaffe he heard they are targeting for a 40 hours long game, and developed in probably around 4 years.

I'm pretty sure Cory's other project team should be smaller and to be in a way earlier stage of development. Probably they did the preproduction to create the world and the game concept, its story, art style and characters, and made a vertical slice to prototype and greenlight all these things and to have it ready as reference for when after GoWR release most GoWR devs can move to this other project.

Cory also may have been working on preparing the next GoW adapting it to a new setting (Egipt?), thinking about new stuff to refresh the IP again after GoWR, etc.

Last edited:
It's not about reinventing the formula though. The basic thing for a sequel is to introduce new characters and new areas and at least some minor graphical updates. Ragnarok's trailer showed us the same characters, the same areas.and the same graphics, that's why it feels like an expansion.

I'm trying to remember a sequel of a game that uses the same three things but I just can't remember any

We know they're still working on the game. New characters will certainly be in. And the same areas are to be expected. It isn't as if they went off to a whole new place. Max Payne was still in New York, for example, in the sequel. I'm sure at some point in the game they will end up in drastically new places, but at the same time considering the story they're telling, they have to still be in the same general areas, and you're of course going to see some of the same characters.

And it's wayyy too early to say there are no graphical updates. Of course this game will get them. This is Santa Monica building a game for the PS5 even if it's cross-gen.

It isn't a smaller game. It's the AAA sequel of one of the best games of the generation, that accoring to Jaffe he heard they are targetingg for a 40 hours long game.

Yea, I can't believe anybody would try to pigeon hole this game as some smaller initiative. This is the direct sequel to one of the best games of last gen, and one of the best games ever made.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's not how it works, the opposite actually

Barlog has a very small team devoted to prototyping the next game after God of War: R. Whenever production is finished on Ragnarok (which most of the studio is working on now), they will move on to his game.
Actually, this is something we saw earlier with Ascension, Killzone Shadowfall and Uncharted 3. All the big leads worked on TLOU and Ascension with Neil and Stig over at SSM. While Amy was left with the multiplayer director from Uncharted 2 to direct the single player for Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4 and it showed. KZSF is one of the first campaigns ive played because all the gameplay lead designers were busy making Horizon.

So even though Cory's team is small, it's made up of THE most talented designers and artists over at SSM. There is a reason why Ragnorak looks so similar, they didnt think they needed their big wigs to reinvent the wheel, but it's now ended up looking way too similar.

That was actually one of the things Jason's book explored. Amy's Uncharted 4 had like no real gameplay for the first 8 or so chapters. Not her fault exactly as she was just the writer, but for whatever reason the game barely had any combat and thats why Neil and Bruce took it over. They pretty much had to. Even in the final game, there is very little combat in the first 8 hours or so. They took out the boat setpiece from the middle chapters and inserted it into the intro, and then came up with a fake flashback to give Sam a shooting section. In Amy's original story, Sam doesnt lie to Nate about the drug dealer. Also, probably the reason why the game had some of its best combat encounters in the last half of the game. Thats when all the TLOU leads came back on board.

Last edited:

T0minator

Lay off the cool aid, it's making you see things.
I'm seeing that those cross gen games are still impressive.... obviously babfull on next gen God of war and horizon would look alot better...but that fact that those 2 are on PS4 and still look that great is good thing for gamers...Halo Infinite looks fine ..could it look better yes...but the overall performance of the game will run great on series X...ppl need to stop being so weird and defending system or giving shit to consoles for no real reason...if you don't want to play them don't...if you're not satisfied them that's all on you....the majority of ppl that play those 2 cross gen games will enjoy what's being offered on PS5 ..the performance of both will be awesome

pratyush

It's amazing how self declared opinion of "less ambition" has moved into how the teams are divided at SSM. I get the point it doesn't look that different from PS4 GOW but graphics are only part of the game. Presentation and art style also matter.

Imagine thinking the biggest game in next 2 year won't have SSM and Sony best and brightest working on it. SSM entire studio is built on GOW reputation.

Pretty stupid bad comparison. Wait for the released game if you really want to compare them properly. You need direct feed gameplay and for it to be remotely matched to compare it.

So by that standard we can't say that the new Horizon game looks good graphically compared to last game because we we need direct feed?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Actually, this is something we saw earlier with Ascension, Killzone Shadowfall and Uncharted 3. All the big leads worked on TLOU and Ascension with Neil and Stig over at SSM. While Amy was left with the multiplayer director from Uncharted 2 to direct the single player for Uncharted 3 and Uncharted 4 and it showed. KZSF is one of the first campaigns ive played because all the gameplay lead designers were busy making Horizon.

So even though Cory's team is small, it's made up of THE most talented designers and artists over at SSM. There is a reason why Ragnorak looks so similar, they didnt think they needed their big wigs to reinvent the wheel, but it's now ended up looking way too similar.

That was actually one of the things Jason's book explored. Amy's Uncharted 4 had like no real gameplay for the first 8 or so chapters. Not her fault exactly as she was just the writer, but for whatever reason the game barely had any combat and thats why Neil and Bruce took it over. They pretty much had to. Even in the final game, there is very little combat in the first 8 hours or so. They took out the boat setpiece from the middle chapters and inserted it into the intro, and then came up with a fake flashback to give Sam a shooting section. In Amy's original story, Sam doesnt lie to Nate about the drug dealer. Also, probably the reason why the game had some of its best combat encounters in the last half of the game. Thats when all the TLOU leads came back on board.

This is true but it doesn't disprove my point.

There are a few key people that have moved onto the "risky, more ambitious" new title that's far off. But the vast majority of the core production team (like 80%+ of the studio) is working on finishing God of War Ragnarok. The job of the leads on the new title is to be ready to transition all of production onto the new title whenever Ragnarok ships, otherwise they are left in a Naughty Dog situation doing fuck all but remakes and multiplayer DLC.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is true but it doesn't disprove my point.

There are a few key people that have moved onto the "risky, more ambitious" new title that's far off. But the vast majority of the core production team (like 80%+ of the studio) is working on finishing God of War Ragnarok. The job of the leads on the new title is to be ready to transition all of production onto the new title whenever Ragnarok ships, otherwise they are left in a Naughty Dog situation doing fuck all but remakes and multiplayer DLC.
Right, as bad as I think GoW Ragnorak has been managed, I think ND is in a much much worse state. Imagine being forced to work on not just a cross gen game, but a cross gen remake of a PS3 era game.

I will say this one thing though, the fact that Corys new IP wasnt shown 3.5 years after Cory moved to it is troubling. Sony's studios remind me of Bioware at the moment, the Andromeda team was given five years by EA and the main Bioware team was given 5 years to make a new IP. Andromeda team spent 3.5 years prototyping a procedurally generated work they couldnt deliver, and the main team spent 5 years coming up with that Anthem vertical slice. Both teams ended up with just an 18 month full production time which ended up limiting the scope of both games.

Sony wont do that with Corys new IP, but that also means they are at least a year away from full production and maybe 3 years from that point onwards. 2025 or 2026 is basically when we will see it.

We know they're still working on the game. New characters will certainly be in. And the same areas are to be expected. It isn't as if they went off to a whole new place. Max Payne was still in New York, for example, in the sequel. I'm sure at some point in the game they will end up in drastically new places, but at the same time considering the story they're telling, they have to still be in the same general areas, and you're of course going to see some of the same characters.

And it's wayyy too early to say there are no graphical updates. Of course this game will get them. This is Santa Monica building a game for the PS5 even if it's cross-gen.
I don't think there will be any graphical update, they're even using the same models.

And when you use the same overworld it makes it look like an expansion. I could clearly see the same areas with some new ones.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Right, as bad as I think GoW Ragnorak has been managed, I think ND is in a much much worse state. Imagine being forced to work on not just a cross gen game, but a cross gen remake of a PS3 era game.

I will say this one thing though, the fact that Corys new IP wasnt shown 3.5 years after Cory moved to it is troubling. Sony's studios remind me of Bioware at the moment, the Andromeda team was given five years by EA and the main Bioware team was given 5 years to make a new IP. Andromeda team spent 3.5 years prototyping a procedurally generated work they couldnt deliver, and the main team spent 5 years coming up with that Anthem vertical slice. Both teams ended up with just an 18 month full production time which ended up limiting the scope of both games.

Sony wont do that with Corys new IP, but that also means they are at least a year away from full production and maybe 3 years from that point onwards. 2025 or 2026 is basically when we will see it.

I think the fact of the matter is that SSM is still mostly a 1 game studio. They have people that transition to future projects, but they are not set-up as a multi-team studio like Insomniac.

So to me it's not surprising that Cory has nothing to show. He's doing some prototyping with some key leads, but it's unlikely to have anything to show because production hasn't moved onto making the game look pretty, etc. They may have some vertical slices and everything mapped out for everyone to work on, but it's not in a state that's really presentable.

The only thing they could have showed off is some CG or really brief teaser or simply an announcement of the IP itself. My guess is that Sony already had that surprise announcement with Wolverine and Spider-Man 2, so no need to play the Cory game card yet.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't think there will be any graphical update, they're even using the same models.

And when you use the same overworld it makes it look like an expansion. I could clearly see the same areas with some new ones.

They confirmed you are going to all 9 realms. In a sense, it makes sense to re-use the same hub world for consistency. I think there's enough they can do to change it up.

I think the fact of the matter is that SSM is still mostly a 1 game studio. They have people that transition to future projects, but they are not set-up as a multi-team studio like Insomniac.

So to me it's not surprising that Cory has nothing to show. He's doing some prototyping with some key leads, but it's unlikely to have anything to show because production hasn't moved onto making the game look pretty, etc. They may have some vertical slices and everything mapped out for everyone to work on, but it's not in a state that's really presentable.

The only thing they could have showed off is some CG or really brief teaser or simply an announcement of the IP itself. My guess is that Sony already had that surprise announcement with Wolverine and Spider-Man 2, so no need to play the Cory game card yet.
Yeah, they're probably one of the most transparent studios ever after that Raising Kratos documentary. Laid off team 2 and downsized to 1.5 teams years ago. They seem to be able to prototype a game and full production on another game, unless things have changed since 2018.

Last edited:
They confirmed you are going to all 9 realms. In a sense, it makes sense to re-use the same hub world for consistency. I think there's enough they can do to change it up.
Well, it's not bad anyway. More God of war is good, but it certainly won't be a next gen game.

So yeah, this is God of war 2 for PS4 with some minor updates for PS5.

Well, it's not bad anyway. More God of war is good, but it certainly won't be a next gen game.

So yeah, this is God of war 2 for PS4 with some minor updates for PS5.
Pretty much. The only real mystery is why it wasn't ready last Christmas if it's more of a Majora's Mask style sequel. Either COVID, or the game is super long, or both. It's basically not a PS5 game, and it's about 2 years late. Think of it that way and my expectations are totally fine.

hussar16

If you look at GoWR original screenshots or 'uncompressed' video GoW looks even better than in this comparision image.
51439937072_42881cb52d_o.jpg

51441652150_ed46219100_o.jpg

If released in PS5 only it would have looked exactly as it looks, the only difference would be that it wouldn't have been released in PS4. Because the game since it's a direct sequel of a game released 3 years ago and because started to make the game for PS4 because when they started the game back in early 2018 they didn't have the PS5 devkits, the final tech specs or even its technology because it didn't exist back then so even less they didn't have an engine made with full knowledge and expertise handling the new hardware, and the game couldn't be designed to take full advantage of the hardware.

To achieve this they would have needed to release the game at least 2 or 3 years later. As far as we know, UE5 is the first engine that takes full advantage of the new things and still isn't ready. So obviously games taking full advantage of UE5 still don't exist. If the full UE5 gets released at the end of this year and someone releases a mastering it in a couple of years, that release would be at the end of 2023. So apply the same for the other engines: in the case of Sony, maybe Spider-Man 2 will be the first one to fully take advantage of the next gen.
ur wrong spiderman 2 is ps5 only and there is massive diffrence

Yoboman

The environments are mostly made of rocks, non reflective materials.

Implementing RT for some gold statues and etc. would be some waste of resources.
There is a ton of water, armour, weapons. Ice is reflective as well. Maybe even RT shadows

Yoboman

Yeah, they're probably one of the most transparent studios ever after that Raising Kratos documentary. Laid off team 2 and downsized to 1.5 teams years ago. They seem to be able to prototype a game and full production on another game, unless things have changed since 2018.
Yeah but they were building into a two team studio, and it was such a unique scenario where the game got canned and they had to put all their eggs in the GOW reboot and hope it paid off

Now that it did I wouldn't be surprised if they got back to that goal of a 2 team studio

ClosBSAS

So its like The Corridor 2, the movie. graphics look the same, expected as its cross gen and uses the lowest common denominator, aka ps4 as base. its expected, dont see the hate. i played gow on ps5 at 60fps and honestly, dont see the fuzz, its a decent looking game, nothing to be wowed about. so far ratchet and clank and horizon forbidden west look next gen despite what ppl say about horizon it still manages to look better than the first game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is just fucking idiotic. No other word for it.

What do you knuckleheads realistically expect? GoW came out 3 years ago, 18 months and counting of which have been affected by a global pandemic. Yet, apparently they are supposed to either completely ignore a 100m+ install-base, or make 2 different versions of the same continuation of the same story in the same time-frame?

Just so you can satisfy your bragging rights about having the shiniest graphics and the latest tech. Its sad, and the only thing worse is the offensive stupidity of calling it glorified DLC. As if there's a requirement to completely rethink a GoTY winner's design because there's newer hardware available.

As if there's a requirement to completely rethink a GoTY winner's design because there's newer hardware available.
Thats how it goes for DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

This looks like a direct asset sequel similar to Majora Mask. Most of us were surprised by that because those typically come out quickly in 1-2 years. This will be 4 years between games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thats how it goes for DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

This looks like a direct asset sequel similar to Majora Mask. Most of us were surprised by that because those typically come out quickly in 1-2 years. This will be 4 years between games.

That you have to go back that far shows how weak that argument is, not to mention that this isn't a situation where movement is between two generations of hardware that are fundamentally incompatible at a hardware level, making a major rewrite unavoidable.

That you have to go back that far shows how weak that argument is, not to mention that this isn't a situation where movement is between two generations of hardware that are fundamentally incompatible at a hardware level, making a major rewrite unavoidable.
Well I was surprised at how identical it looks to the last game after 4 years and a new system. Horizon is a much larger jump. That recent enough to not be "weak?"

Top Bottom