• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok vs God Of War Visual Comparison

I will never get idiots who claim games are going to look better later in development. Optimization makes games look worse, not better. It has never happened in my memory except like once. Most games lose graphical features.

I've seen Alphas/betas look a lot worse than the final product. Usually at that point they are just focusing on getting it to work rather than the visual effects. However I will state that we rarely ever see
games in that stage unless it's leaked to us.

yurinka

In a game that truly looks poor graphically. Not the appropriate topic.
Did you download the 4K video with proper compression from Gamersyde?

You must be blind if you continue thinking it trully looks poor grafically after watching it from there.

SLB1904

Banned
Seems to line up perfectly, they are saying it's less of an improvement than expected and looks clearly rooted in PS4. It lines up exactly with OP saying it's disappointing and cross gen as fuck. DF is echoing OP quite clearly in this case.
Alright let's see what game looks better than this when comes out.

93xfan

Banned
It’s odd how the goal posts are shifting for so many in here, when Forbidden West is such a clearer improvement over its predecessor .

Don’t understand why people ignore Forbidden West’s visuals and pretend this was expected due to it being early in the generation and this being cross gen.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Did they? Where?

I mean. It looks cross-gen. You expect more from SSM if they were trying to target next-gen hardware alone. But the reality is, it's top 3 best looking games of all time as it stands now. That includes anything revealed or released.
They basically said what I said last night. That the leap from U1 to U2 was far greater. That they were too harsh on Horizon 2 which looks significantly better than GOW2 and the first Horizon. That GoW is using pretty much the same tech for fur, hair, and materials.

I think Sony missed a trick here by not hiring another studio to downport the game like Nixxes did with Rise of Tomb Raider and Bluepoint did with Titanfall. Have SSM make the game on the PS5 with PS4 limitations in mind such as the SSD and CPU, but push the graphics. New hair rendering, new character models, new materials for armor, ray tracing etc. Then have Nixxes replace those assets with the PS4 assets. That way the game at least looks a bit different even though the gameplay is still last gen.

Again, dont understand the penny pinching going on here. GOW sold better than any previous entry in the franchise, and the PS division made more profit than ever in a year when they launched a new console at a loss. They shouldve at least tried to improve the graphics somewhat.

This gif below was made by one guy and is running on a GTX 970. A GPU roughly equivalent to the PS4 pro. There is so much more they can do with just a 2x increase in gpu horsepower. its insane that they are only utilizing the 5x more powerful gpu for higher framerate and resolutions.

YRBP7Kq.gif

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
It’s odd how the goal posts are shifting for so many in here, when Forbidden West is such a clearer improvement over its predecessor .

Don’t understand why people ignore that game’s visuals and pretend this was expected due to it being early in the generation and this being cross gen.
Who's ignoring the games visuals other than idiots that keep ignoring the direct feed screenshots and videos?

pratyush

Don’t understand why people ignore that game’s visuals and pretend this was expected due to it being early in the generation and this being cross gen.
Nobody is shifting the goalpost. It's just that the expectations are not quite clear. With HFW they have more freedom with world creation but GOW has a definite art style. To spot graphical advantage from a 3min teaser is just not correct thing to do. Let's wait to see how it plays in final version. Plus as I said earlier, download the uncompressed 4k video and play it on decent monitor. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Don't look for me when it does, just pointing out that OP's statement matches up with DF's
Digital foundry are smoking that good weed.
The amount of detail and scale in this trailer is insane. Show me one shot in gow 2018 that look remotely close to the one kratos is looking over the land. The characters skin looks better as well. And still in development they have one year to polish things up.

I know people are Salty over Sony presentation that are throwing shit on the wall to see if sticks.
But again this thread will be fun when the game comes.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Seems to line up perfectly, they are saying it's less of an improvement than expected and looks clearly rooted in PS4. It lines up exactly with OP saying it's disappointing and cross gen as fuck. DF is echoing OP quite clearly in this case.

DF said "he doesn't know if they are selling it short if they say it looked like cross gen game" and later said that if you compare God of War: R to the earlier cross-gen games shown during most of the conference, it's a humongous difference in quality.

The hyperbole of the comment makes it seem like they thought it was a bad looking game which is far from the truth

LimanimaPT

Ragnarok is originally a PS4 game.
And don't know what kind of PS4 you own, but that ps5 footage looks 10 times better then GOW on my PS4. And at 60fps probably.

Reactions: Rea

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
People need to accept its a PS4 game with minimal enhancement because in the end you are going to be disappointed if expect something more.
Im sure the game will be great though looking foward to the "Ragnarok" event when everything is destroyed. Im surprised they didnt tease more of that in the trailer.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry already came out and said the game looks disappointing and cross gen as fuck.

I never said it looks worse or like a piece of shit. I said it looks disappointing. Which it does. Those 2 posts I quoted quite literally were in the vein of them not caring about visuals in games. Thats why I quoted them.. And Elden Ring looks like fucking trash, FROM is trash graphically, Bloodborne looked like dog shit, unplayable, I don't buy any of their games for that reason. And I won't be buying elden ring. You picked the wrong guy to use Ellen ring as an example on. Try again
K so you're a graphics whore idiot. Gotcha. Moving to ignore list.

CheeseCake

Horizon forbidden west already looks better and will on release. The bar has been raised Santa Monica and not in your favor.
They basically said what I said last night. That the leap from U1 to U2 was far greater. That they were too harsh on Horizon 2 which looks significantly better than GOW2 and the first Horizon. That GoW is using pretty much the same tech for fur, hair, and materials.

I think Sony missed a trick here by not hiring another studio to downport the game like Nixxes did with Rise of Tomb Raider and Bluepoint did with Titanfall. Have SSM make the game on the PS5 with PS4 limitations in mind such as the SSD and CPU, but push the graphics. New hair rendering, new character models, new materials for armor, ray tracing etc. Then have Nixxes replace those assets with the PS4 assets. That way the game at least looks a bit different even though the gameplay is still last gen.

Again, dont understand the penny pinching going on here. GOW sold better than any previous entry in the franchise, and the PS division made more profit than ever in a year when they launched a new console at a loss. They shouldve at least tried to improve the graphics somewhat.

This gif below was made by one guy and is running on a GTX 970. A GPU roughly equivalent to the PS4 pro. There is so much more they can do with just a 2x increase in gpu horsepower. its insane that they are only utilizing the 5x more powerful gpu for higher framerate and resolutions.

YRBP7Kq.gif

The graphics HAVE been improved SlimySnake SlimySnake . Have we seen the same trailer?...

You guys make it sound like GOW R will be trash because it's not better than GOW 2018 lol

This whole discussion is pathetic ngl

Last edited:
what makes it even worse is that this game is seemingly taking forever to release even though there is barely an upgrade in gameplay or visuals. animation-wise they're using the same exact shit as well.

and people want to make the excuse "it's a direct sequel that's why" okay so why does horizon look like a bigger upgrade?

what about uncharted on ps3?

truthfully all around, that trailer was underwhelming as FUCK. even the way the trailer was edited was really boring and bare minimum without any climatic reveal or anything.

Shut up... how does Master Chief reload his pistol? How he jump into a Warthog? How does the Chief melee Craig? How does Mr. Gears chainsaw a fool? How Mr. Gears takes cover? How COD man/woman reload their M4? How does Spider-Man throw his web? How does he swing?

I've seen this argument, you're basically trying to say these dev's are lazy.Go make a game and tell me you won't reuse shit. If it ain't broke, why the hell would you would you fix it. Here's the thing, your hating ass would have still been mad if when Kratos jumped in, instead of both feet impacting at the same time his right foot landed first... you would have been like "Oh, its not even that different from the last game. I would just like people to admit, full stop, I'm a fanboy and I will never like anything from the other side. If that's the case, then cool, but stop pretending.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The graphics HAVE been improved SlimySnake SlimySnake . Have we seen the same trailer?...

You guys make it sound like GOW R will be trash because it's not better than GOW 2018 lol

This whole discussion is pathetic ngl
Graphics havent been improved that much and there is nothing pathetic about calling out sequels that dont look that much different from their predecessors.

dKXwliD.jpg

I just finished playing GoW again on PS5 and 4K 60fps. It was so much better at 60 that it felt like a remaster!

I am totally fine with it only looking slightly better if it runs at 60fps.

The game looks insanely good already!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just finished playing GoW again on PS5 and 4K 60fps. It was so much better at 60 that it felt like a remaster!

I am totally fine with it only looking slightly better if it runs at 60fps.

The game looks insanely good already!
My feelings too playing games boosted on Series X. Any game converted to 60 fps works wonders already.

I finally finished Skyrim after starting it again on Xbox One. Maybe got through half the game. Picked up playing again earlier this year after I got an X, downloaded some 4k mods and the game blisters at 60 fps. Add in SSD speeds to make loading times faster and it was like a new game.

I completed the rest of the game in a couple months where I really tried to max out quests and the DLC before finishing it. When I played on Xbox One, it dragged on for a while. Solid game, but when it chugs and takes forever to load dungeons and buildings, its a downer. Couldnt stop playing it on X.

Last edited:

yurinka

Graphics havent been improved that much and there is nothing pathetic about calling out sequels that dont look that much different from their predecessors.
Did you watch the (decently compressed) 4K downloadable version of the video from Gamersyde? I suggest you to do so and to download the first GoW 2018 video (or a somewhat newer one because there were changes before release) from there to make the comparision, if possible in a 4K display.

They obviously rehased stuff as it's a direct sequel 3 years and a half later and the snow doesn't look that good, but all the other environments and the characters look way better.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Did you watch the (decently compressed) 4K downloadable version of the video from Gamersyde? I suggest you to do so and to download the first GoW 2018 video (or a somewhat newer one because there were changes before release) from there to make the comparision, if possible in a 4K display.

They obviously rehased stuff as it's a direct sequel 3 years and a half later and the snow doesn't look that good, but all the other environments and the characters look way better.

yeah it’s subtle but definitely there

i see quite a bit more detail in the environments and enemies

John Wick

It's not a stupid comparison.

We can only judge by the footage they've provided us. Besides, the game looks quite advanced in development.
So your comparing a complete game to an incomplete game and saying they look the same? Pretty stupid if you ask me.
The game has about a year of development time but hey it won't look better by then eh?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oz4rLdB.jpg

Both of these games being cross gen has not affected their overall presentation. Other publishers on purely next gen will have a hard time topping what Guerrilla Games and SM Studios will do. The future is looking bright for everyone really
Nobody is criticizing the actual quality of the game visuals.

What people are criticizing is with PS5, you'd think there would be noticeable improvements or more animations than the games running on a PS4 1.8tf machine from years ago.

Last edited:

T0minator

Nobody is criticizing the actual quality of the game visuals.

What people are criticizing is with PS5, you'd think there would be noticeable improvements or more animations than the games running on a PS4 1.8tf machine from years ago.
Development of videogames obviously isn't an automated process where you get better tech and now animations for a boat are automatically better. . of course the PS5 can animate things better than the PS4. But it takes time to animate every single thing so they have to make choices on what's going to receive more attention. Recreating a boat animation would take away time from animating new attacks or weapons they will be implementing. Reusing assets will allow them to make new things in other areas faster. The improvements will be noticable once you see the game running on a PS5 on a 4k TV... their efforts will show.

Reactions: Rea

Kokoloko85

Digital Foundry already came out and said the game looks disappointing and cross gen as fuck.

I never said it looks worse or like a piece of shit. I said it looks disappointing. Which it does. Those 2 posts I quoted quite literally were in the vein of them not caring about visuals in games. Thats why I quoted them.. And Elden Ring looks like fucking trash, FROM is trash graphically, Bloodborne looked like dog shit, unplayable, I don't buy any of their games for that reason. And I won't be buying elden ring. You picked the wrong guy to use Ellen ring as an example on. Try again

Bloodborne backgrounds looked amazing. Your missing out on some great games

GymWolf

Gold Member
If Microsoft can't manage to make only nextgen fable\hellbalde 2\avowed looks NOTICEABLY better than this one (and horizon), i think sony is gonna have a field day for the rest of the gen when it comes to graphic crown.

Let's see if these sony studios are really so far ahead compared to the competitors to make a crossgen that looks better\on par with a nextgen exclusive.

Although M still has coalition\343, but they didn't beat sony studios in the past gen when it comes to graphic so i don't have much hope.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah I just want a longer campaign/story mode and more bosses. More side quests by the NPC’s would be awesome too.

I enjoyed it alot and platinum‘d it but the story was over too fast for me. I was like, thats the end? Amazing game though
I didn't had this impression at all because after any main story mission i did some exploration, sidequest, puzzle solving etc.

And the game is super rewarding, you literally discover the fucking bullet time mode in a box that is not even in a secondary sidequest...just a random box behind a puzzle.

This is how the next zelda need to work, stop with the seeds, the shrines and the breakable weaponsm, gimme cool unique abilities\attack moves that are mine forever.

I know that people hated the rpg part ( same for horizon, i don't know what people expect from fucking action RPGs), but on hard and very hard is pretty fun to make different builds, i had one based all on cooldown where i basically spammed abilities like there was no tomorrow.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

YRBP7Kq.gif
Dude, they are doing this whole crossgen crap for greed, to earn more money, and you think they will spend extra money to develop 2 versions of the game?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Those who compare Forbidden West to Ragnarök forget that the first GOW on PS4 was already more beautiful than Horizon Zero Dawn, it's logical that the graphical jump seems less impressive.
Yeah no, it was better in some aspects, worse in others.

We can begin a screenshot battle if you want but my original plan for this morning was to eat my breakfast while watching a jojo episode before continuing with f.i.s.t. (and as usual i can't recommend this game enough for metroidvania lovers), but we can do something in the afternoon if you want...

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
So your comparing a complete game to an incomplete game and saying they look the same? Pretty stupid if you ask me.
The game has about a year of development time but hey it won't look better by then eh?
Nothing about this game suggests it looks early.

Besides, we can only judge by what we can see.

The graphics look exactly the same.

Tomeru

What does that mean? Ragnarok looks better. Clearly. I don't know how it can even be argued. It just cant. Anyone who says it doesnt is a liar. A filthy lair.

"It looks better, but not by much!"

"I dont know how much it can be improved on, but it clearly can be 10x better looking!!! Better textures better lighting better this better that"

More animations? Like what? Kratos does backflips and jumps on one leg?

People dont even know what they're complaining about, they just THINK they know, when infact they're not thinking at all.

Yoboman

We really talking about a boat animation?

Sorry but I'd rather they put that manpower into animating more attacks and enemies than replacing the perfectly functional boat animation set

They've actually spoken about how difficult creating the boats in GOW 2018 were. Over 600 animations on the boat and years to create, animate, play test and get it right

So yeah. I'd rather that time go to something else than what - redo it all from scratch for some reason?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What does that mean? Ragnarok looks better. Clearly. I don't know how it can even be argued. It just cant. Anyone who says it doesnt is a liar. A filthy lair.

"It looks better, but not by much!"

"I dont know how much it can be improved on, but it clearly can be 10x better looking!!! Better textures better lighting better this better that"

More animations? Like what? Kratos does backflips and jumps on one leg?

People dont even know what they're complaining about, they just THINK they know, when infact they're not thinking at all.

Okay, here it is again, for the hard of thinking:

Nobody is claiming Ragnarok does not look great. For a PS4 game. We will probably all buy it and enjoy it very much, because the first game was incredible, and there’s no reason to suggest this one won’t continue with that quality.

But, this game clearly does not push the Ps5, or take full advantage of its power, because the game must run on eight year old hardware.

We are lamenting what could have been, if it had been Ps5 exclusive. That’s all.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Okay, here it is again, for the hard of thinking:

Nobody is claiming Ragnarok does not look great. For a PS4 game. We will probably all buy it and enjoy it very much, because the first game was incredible, and there’s no reason to suggest this one won’t continue with that quality.

But, this game clearly does not push the Ps5, or take full advantage of its power, because the game must run on eight year old hardware.

We are lamenting what could have been, if it had been Ps5 exclusive. That’s all.

yurinka

Oz4rLdB.jpg

Both of these games being cross gen has not affected their overall presentation. Other publishers on purely next gen will have a hard time topping what Guerrilla Games and SM Studios will do. The future is looking bright for everyone really

If you look at GoWR original screenshots or 'uncompressed' video GoW looks even better than in this comparision image.
51439937072_42881cb52d_o.jpg

51441652150_ed46219100_o.jpg

If released in PS5 only it would have looked exactly as it looks, the only difference would be that it wouldn't have been released in PS4. Because the game since it's a direct sequel of a game released 3 years ago and because started to make the game for PS4 because when they started the game back in early 2018 they didn't have the PS5 devkits, the final tech specs or even its technology because it didn't exist back then so even less they didn't have an engine made with full knowledge and expertise handling the new hardware, and the game couldn't be designed to take full advantage of the hardware.

To achieve this they would have needed to release the game at least 2 or 3 years later. As far as we know, UE5 is the first engine that takes full advantage of the new things and still isn't ready. So obviously games taking full advantage of UE5 still don't exist. If the full UE5 gets released at the end of this year and someone releases a mastering it in a couple of years, that release would be at the end of 2023. So apply the same for the other engines: in the case of Sony, maybe Spider-Man 2 will be the first one to fully take advantage of the next gen.

Last edited:

martino

Oz4rLdB.jpg

this. i would say not that much more than at all.

edit : more and more on this kind of title time and number of people working on the game will be the limit more than the rest. Some incoming tech will probably help though but they were not ready for those release windows

Last edited:

John Wick

Nothing about this game suggests it looks early.

Besides, we can only judge by what we can see.

The graphics look exactly the same.
Yes of course they look the same. You should have went to Specsavers mate. There is a difference already.
So do you think they finish the game or polish it first?

Top Bottom