• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok vs God Of War Visual Comparison

Same animations. Same gameplay. Same character models. If I didn't squint, I would think it was DLC. That's fine for a sequel that comes out in 2 years. I did expect a bigger jump.

All I can really see is increased resolution, and a little bit more detail and intricacy on some of the environments.

Even the narrative of the trailer was a little cumbersome, since 90% of it was just Boy bickering with his dad in dialogue that literally sounded exactly like all the stuff we just played. I didn't see a noteworthy wow moment in terms of combat choreography either, with nothing jumping out at me aside from a lizard biting him. No new weapons or gameplay additions shown off.

I will probably cave and buy the game despite the price hike, because I loved the last one. But this was a bad showing honestly. The trailer was not that exciting, and I'm sure there is some exciting stuff in the game. It was not edited together that well. The ending had a nice little jokey line at the end, but that was about it.

Same animations. Same gameplay. Same character models. If I didn't squint, I would think it was DLC. That's fine for a sequel that comes out in 2 years. I did expect a bigger jump.

All I can really see is increased resolution, and a little bit more detail and intricacy on some of the environments.

Even the narrative of the trailer was a little cumbersome, since 90% of it was just Boy bickering with his dad in dialogue that literally sounded exactly like all the stuff we just played. I didn't see a noteworthy wow moment in terms of combat choreography either, with nothing jumping out at me aside from a lizard biting him. No new weapons or gameplay additions shown off.

I will probably cave and buy the game despite the price hike, because I loved the last one. But this was a bad showing honestly. The trailer was not that exciting, and I'm sure there is some exciting stuff in the game. It was not edited together that well. The ending had a nice little jokey line at the end, but that was about it.
Are you seriously considering not buying the game? The last game was absolutely incredible.

I find these negative comments hard to believe. There is nothing to suggest that SSM won't release another amazing game. This cross gen stuff has some of y'all acting silly.

Are you seriously considering not buying the game? The last game was absolutely incredible.

I find these negative comments hard to believe. There is nothing to suggest that SSM won't release another amazing game. This cross gen stuff has some of y'all acting silly.
I'm getting it for sure. Just a question of if I need it immediately at launch or not.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I think this is the trailer's biggest flaw - it doesn't surprise or entice. Perhaps there's a reason for this though, as the studio may want to hold back on the major surprises of the game. Understandable, even if it makes for a worse first showing.

Keihart

I don't want people pointing out the obvious shortcomings of the game, what a bunch of crybabies.
Everyone should be hyped about cross gen games, we get to pay more money for next gen games with less production, 2 years into a new generation, be grateful people! don't be crybabies! how you dare to be ungrateful!

Star Trek Facepalm GIF by Naughty Dog

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think this is the trailer's biggest flaw - it doesn't surprise or entice. Perhaps there's a reason for this though, as the studio may want to hold back on the major surprises of the game. Understandable, even if it makes for a worse first showing.
I agree but could the trailer have been a surprise though?I mean it is the same setting, we already know how it plays, so except spoiling a boss fight or announcing co op of course none of it would've been surprising.
Then you look the trailer in 4K and the 2018 GOW you see that there's a lot of improvement.And I notice it especially since I have been recently replaying GOW 2018 on ps5.
Of course some animations looks the same but you don't have to recreate how to climb a ladder for each games(unless some characters are going through major physical changes).
What I wanted to see was a good looking game, more ennemy variety and more boss fights (for now we don't really know about boss fights but ennemy variety and visuals seems to be better).That's what I had, now of course they haven't unveiled everything (the blade of chaos wheren't in any trailer I believe for example).

I don't know. I haven't played it yet. Will see how it looks and plays then.

Also, covid made things worse with development times and extended them a bit. GoW would've most probably been a 2021 game.
I didn't believe it when they announced it as a 2021 release because no one could develop a new game so quickly. But after seeing the trailer and looking how it's just an expansion with same world and characters then i would ask why did it took so long? They are using the same models for gods sake.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I agree but could the trailer have been a surprise though?I mean it is the same setting, we already know how it plays, so except spoiling a boss fight or announcing co op of course none of it would've been surprising.
Then you look the trailer in 4K and the 2018 GOW you see that there's a lot of improvement.And I notice it especially since I have been recently replaying GOW 2018 on ps5.
Of course some animations looks the same but you don't have to recreate how to climb a ladder for each games(unless some characters are going through major physical changes).
What I wanted to see was a good looking game, more ennemy variety and more boss fights (for now we don't really know about boss fights but ennemy variety and visuals seems to be better).That's what I had, now of course they haven't unveiled everything (the blade of chaos wheren't in any trailer I believe for example).

I think they could have a lot of big set piece moments that SSM is traditionally known for. God of War 2018 didn't have quite as many, but I suspect "Ragnarok" will go all out on the epic scale.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think they could have a lot of big set piece moments that SSM is traditionally known for. God of War 2018 didn't have quite as many, but I suspect "Ragnarok" will go all out on the epic scale.
Well it is supposed to end the Odin's saga, so it better be.The first one had to introduce the lore, characters relationship settings etc...
Now it is time to slash everything.

I'm glad I never let graphical fidelity and pure wow factor dictate my gaming experience or else it'd be a more boring hobby.

I've been thinking about this the past few days since the direct. I mean, the AMOUNT of people just going crazy about the graphics (or lack of) is insane. I thought all the games looked amazing in the show, including Ragnarok. Never once did I think "oh way, this looks like a PS4 game or Ps3 game." I mean, damn, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am so very glad I don't focus on graphics as my main driving force to enjoy games.

GOW 2018 still holds up and this game looks good, but GOW: R could - and should look much, much better. That's the issue. If it wasn't held back by the PS4 it would look mind-blowing. Let's hope the gameplay blows us away with some huge set-pieces, environments and boss fights. I was hoping for more of that stuff in the previous game.

Velius

Banned
I'm honestly glad that they kept the same look. I'm hoping that with the engine locked down from the get-go, they were able to evolve the feel. GoW 2018 is my favorite GoW of all time, but I would consider it to be a serious flaw not to greatly improve the system/interface, particularly the combat.

These guys know what they're doing however so I'm not worried.

Wait, did I say the right thing? I mean... Sony BTFO how will they ever recover pre-order cancelled

Maybe releasing some that PS5 patch for God of War was a mistake because imo it can probably pass for a PS5 game in some parts of the game. Maybe that’s the main reason Ragnarok doesn’t seem like a significant visual upgrade? Being cross generation probably isn’t doing it any favors either.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Don't look at it as a bad thing, just appreciate the fact that we got a next gen game in 2018 on a jaguar processor. When you have you have best talent in the industry and an insane budget, hardware limitations seem to disappear.

93xfan

Banned
0ifmjTO.jpg
a9EWPWk.jpg
skhUf3x.jpg

God of War Ragnarok is a step up...all in 4k 60fps...it's gonna run like butter 👌🏼

These look really nice!

What a pointless thread. It's cross-gen so of course it's not going to look that much better than a PS4 game. It'll be 60fps on PS5 though and that matters way more to me.

Why is it pointless to talk about graphics on a video game board? I think it’s odd to seek out threads like this and then complain they exist and then try to bring up your own topic (frame rate) with people you think are attracted to “pointless” conversations.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Santa Monica just showed a cinematic teaser, and even then we can get some pretty good info - I am seeing a big increase in enemy variety, what looks like some much more lively and lived-in areas (the original felt barren and almost post-apocalyptic), new combat moves, and some new special attacks by Atreus.

Will it have as many upgrades as Horizon: FW? Time will tell, but we didn't know much from Horizon's original cinematic either. But Horizon had much more to improve on. As I mentioned before, I don't need a reinvention here. Just give me a God of War 1 to God of War 2 upgrade and I will be more than happy.
I think GoW is Sony's premiere first party franchise. Probably even bigger than TLOU. Just a simple upgrade here and there isnt good enough. Enemy variety, new combat moves and special attacks? Is that good enough for a sequel to your biggest most celebrated franchise?

I think the game needed a lot more ambition than this. A lot of people have said it looks like a DLC expansion a la Miles, and while I wouldn't go that far, it doesn't look like a GoW 1 to GoW 2 or Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 caliber leap. I dont buy that it was too good and thus cannot be improved. You can always improve character models, hair rendering, animations, foliage, etc. especially when you have a next gen console just sitting there waiting to be taken advantage of.

db18e60bfbf4a21ae2671253b81ckxw5.JPG

51207372216_5677fc62af_o.jpg

Say what you will about chubby Aloy, at least they bothered giving her an upgrade. They even gave side characters a visual upgrade.

GoW deserved better.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think GoW is Sony's premiere first party franchise. Probably even bigger than TLOU. Just a simple upgrade here and there isnt good enough. Enemy variety, new combat moves and special attacks? Is that good enough for a sequel to your biggest most celebrated franchise?

I think the game needed a lot more ambition than this. A lot of people have said it looks like a DLC expansion a la Miles, and while I wouldn't go that far, it doesn't look like a GoW 1 to GoW 2 or Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 caliber leap. I dont buy that it was too good and thus cannot be improved. You can always improve character models, hair rendering, animations, foliage, etc. especially when you have a next gen console just sitting there waiting to be taken advantage of.

Say what you will about chubby Aloy, at least they bothered giving her an upgrade. They even gave side characters a visual upgrade.

GoW deserved better.

simple upgrade visually is good enough if they are able to craft an amazing experience. Gow2 was the same deal. Ps3 was already out at the time and we had motorstorm visuals

this game ends the Norse telling of Kratos and it is confined to allow you to travel to all 9 realms

it is going to be a humongous game

Last edited:

shoegaze

Looks a bit better, definitely. Though nothing like it was expected. The draw distance, scale and enemy types is going to get a boost but it'll look the same. H:FW set the benchmark and most of us thought GOW is going to surpass it.

The way it looks I'm surprised it wouldn't come out this holiday season as improvement is marginal. Also, I'm sure someone can correct me as I've listened to dev interviews only in passing, but I've heard the new director wants to put out a more personal story this time, or something of that sort...If the first one wasn't, I thought?

Hopefully that doesn't mean scaling down on any epic and violent themes of the game.

DZ_b_EZ

Not only is Ragnarok running at a higher overall resolution, but there's a higher detail in the textures, and there's less aliasing. The character models also look better but it's difficult to tell as the polygon count gets higher.

RCU005

I think OP is saying he was expecting Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4 graphics as well as The Last of Us to TLoU2 upgrade.

However, those are generational leaps, and GoW is not a generation leap. It would be more like GOW 3 go GOW Ascension. The difference is clearly noticeable and the improvement is there, but you don't see it because you were expecting something it's not.

I wonder if Cory is working on a new GOW in a different era (as they confirmed Ragnarok is the end of Nordic mythology). That would be cool. Although I wish he would be working on a new IP. I loved GOW and I am excited for the sequel, but I never expected more from GOW. I need thought it would become a multi release game. I actually never thought this would be a new trilogy, so I do want Cory and Sony Santa Monica to move on from GOW again. I'll still like if they don't but the ideal would be to do a new IP.

TheAssist

The actual sad part is, that the original is still above and beyond most other games in terms of graphics in general. Only in some aspects bested by The Last of Us part 2.

But I think the GPU wasnt really the big issue Last Gen, it was the CPU and while you can scale GPU utilization to an extend, you cant so much with the CPU since many gameplay elements like AI and animation depend on it. Thats the actual problem with cross gen games.

GoW:R looks still amazing, even its not a dramatic step up, I'm fine with the graphics. For everything else I will wait till I have played the game.

Well its a crossgen game ; what did you expect...
It's only 4 years covid included and crossgen. I'm not surprised it almost looks like a DLC, but i also don't think this is a big deal. Played Subnautica Below Zero a few weeks ago. They shpuld have called it Subnautica 1,25. But still fun to play and that's what's most important.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think the issue is Sony santa Monica are obviously so good that they did wonders with the ps4 and the 2018 game. I'm sure we all were imagining what that studio could do with the power of the ps5 and what we get is a ps4 game...because guess what....its a ps4 game.

It's a shame but it will still play well. Just kinda gutting that it's taken 4 years.

Last edited:

pratyush

I think the issue is Sony santa Monica are obviously so good that they did wonders with the ps4 and the 2018 game. I'm sure we all were imagining what that studio could do with the power of the ps5 and what we get is a ps4 game...because guess what....its a ps4 game.

It's a shame but it will still play well. Just kinda gutting that it's taken 4 years.
It would have taken 3 years if it wasn't for Covid.

FranXico

I noticed improvements. Maybe the graphical jump was not as impressive as people expected, but it did start development as a PS4 game, and I doubt this engine scales as well as the Decima engine.
And the 2018 one still holds up to this day. Loving playing that one on PS5.

The trailer did show off some more enemy variety, very much appreciated.

pratyush

GoW deserved better.
Not sure what you mean by this. Graphically all we have is a trailer put together by the team 1 year before the releas which I know you won't agree, but looks better than any other game out there. Maybe the leap from GOW 2018 isn't big but that's not a big deal. GoW 2018 even after 1 year of next gen console, holds it own in terms of visual fidelity. Art direction of GOW 2018 is carried over which makes sense and there is only so many ways it can be improved. Also they cant make radical change for a game they have to release on PS4. This game development started in 2018 when PS4 was going strong, it wouldn't have made sense to ignore PS4 user base for a device which doesn't even exist.

Aren't you overreacting before the release of the game. Graphically even if by your standards it's not ground breaking but it is still visually stunning. Plus if they improve the combat, and deliver another great story with good enemy variety, no one will care. Graphics isn't the only part of the game which requires investment. Also it's way too early to pass judgement on GOW graphic fidelity

Last edited:

Shane89

Just a bit more polished textures, but you can't expect much more.. i mean, it's already near the top.

The huge improvements will be on FPS, resolution, and lightning / ray tracing

Last edited:
I can't wait to see some of you guys eat crow when the game comes out.

The game looks aesthetically similar to its predecessor, yes, but the huge difference will be the amount of detail in the world, the scale, and variety in its scenery and that will be the cherry on top of the entire visual gaming experience.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat crow myself.

Brigandier

Like omfg..... I can not believe that they are reusing the same animation entering the boat.

Will not buy, this is criminal they should be sued for this... Fuck Sony fuck SSM fuck PS5 I'm going to Xbox.

First the low poly distant off track trees in GT7 and now similiar/same animations in GoW:R as the last game.... This is an outrage... Fully worthy of wasting my life making shit threads on neogaf...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Has our man NXGamer NXGamer posted anything up yet?, if there's one person I trust to a: make me eat my words and b: prove how big a leap it actually is, it'll be this guy and the dudes from DF.

I recently watched the 4K trailer and it does look incredible, some scenes are absolutely brimming with detail and some look straight out of the original game but it's a definite improvement I think we where all just expecting something bombastic and spectacular

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's lazy that Kratos jumps into the boat the exact same way on PS5 as PS4. Why a character wouldn't change their actions completely with each passing generation is nothing but lazy from SSM. /s

GymWolf

Gold Member
Repeat with me boys, this is a jump:

MV5BZmY5YTI1OTYtYWY4ZC00ZTM0LTk4NzMtY2Y0NjUwMzc0MjE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQwODY1NTY@._V1_.jpg

recensione-infamous-second-son-1.png

this is also a jump
287c2910481222fa8f131c11ddf79d25.jpg

uncharted-4-come-assassin-s-creed-designer-svela-easter-egg-sfuggito-fan-v3-509646-1280x960.webp

but this, this is not a fucking jump (more of a chump really)
god-of-war-kratos-and-atreus.png

god-of-war-ragnarok-image-6-scaled_4ays.h960.jpg

I'm personally convinced that a ps5 exclusive gow with 5 years of development could look not that inferior to the famous cg(?) trailer

Maybe not as fluid in terms of animations etc. but the fidelity of the models and locations would be pretty close imo.

And no, diminishing returns has nothing to do with this, even the cg trailer is still light years away from top tier movie quality cg, they still look like fucking videogame characters not real humans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom