• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG apologizes for posting a picture of a Game Journalism tombstone

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Too bad they apologized.

Don't apologize to Marxists, they will use this as a confession to trial and judge you. They were 101% correct.

Oh, well, at least a lot of persons in there are in our side, as evidenced by this GIF, GOG and my wallet will speak more often, henceforth.

They should have stood by it. Especially after last week's barrage of editorials defending Jessica Price in the ArenaNet firings. It's clear that the gaming press couldn't possibly be more disconnected from their audience and I think it's fair to say that a lot of them have contempt for their own readership.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
A long time ago I used to sub EGM and later with the advent of dialup I would visit Gamespot and IGN. Once we came around to broadband, Youtube/Twitch, and quality capture equipment, the need for a journalist to go "get" the info for you and give impressions or reviews is all but gone.

The whole "gamers are dead" scandal from the games press was insulting. Most gamers don't even know about the stupid scraps between journos and fanbois. Throwing all gamers under the bus like that was disgusting and hateful.

Thiagosc777

From what I can gather that's when the doxxing or related stuff happened to some games journalist.

Incorrect, that's when the "Gamers are dead" articles were released in the media by several websites, thus "Games journalism" is dead.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Incorrect, that's when the "Gamers are dead" articles were released in the media by several websites, thus "Games journalism" is dead.

It amazes me that these thin skinned people in a profession that now more often than not, is opinion based; while writing articles criticizing "gamers"... fail in all facets of accepting criticisms back at them.

Bunch of babies.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
A collective yawn and lol at everyone calling games journalism 'dead'. There's some ace work out there.

But that is true. Game journalism is basically dead. Look at sites that publish gaming news. They barely hold up and most of them had to be attached to bigger groups to survive like IGN. Gaming mags almost all are dead. Simply put people no longer seek jornalist advices which should be their primary work. Now instead they look for opinion of thatsnwyboi324 on youtube because unlike journalists he at least plays games and you can see for yourself if game is for you or not.

Mind you that this is not just game journalism. Journalism in general is in death throwes. TV news stations don't even care about journalism they hire pundits to spin information to whatever their overlord wants, papers that used to be at the top of food chain are dying left and right AND they are not immune to clickbait as they collapse and print shit that would not fly 20-30 years ago. Gaming journalism shouldn't be even a therm if 99% of people who do it never finished jornalism high school. Out of all people i have seen in whole industry barely 5 people constitute as real journalists and half of them are self made youtubers rather than attached to some publishing companies.

Game journalists are like barbers right now. Yes you can find barber occasionally but overall they are dead as profession

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i love the fact that this is news.

just more jummy jummy for my media tummy

Redshirt

Banned

Nah. KotakuInAction and whatnot. Gamers are Dead doesn't happen until a few (4?) days later.

Last edited:

Dunki

Gameinformer guy puts himself in the same shoes than minorities. This shit is so funny if it were not as sad.

CatCouch

Going back and reading the Gamasutra "gamers don't have to be your audience. gamers are over" article from Aug 28th is pretty depressing. It's full of so much anger directed at such a huge group of people that I don't know how anyone thought they wouldn't be criticized for this. Even years later there's game journalists who believe you shouldn't be allowed to poke fun at those who wrote these articles. That's kind of hypocritical, why are they allowed to accuse me of everything under the sun for playing games but I can't disagree? They can mock me but I can't mock them or I'm part of a hate group?

I get the impression the writers and sites that resort to calling their own audiences "hate groups" are struggling to see a strong future for their part journalism, part activism writing style. My 2 cents is they wanted to take over this industry and push the people they disagreed with out (curate the culture , as Leigh puts it) and it didn't work so they are quite frustrated as one tends to be when your views are not only not validated, but are rejected.

It's a lot to ask for game developers to side against their known audience to make games for an unknown, unproven new group.

Thiagosc777

Nah. KotakuInAction and whatnot. Gamers are Dead doesn't happen until a few (4?) days later.

Dude, I have noticed a pattern. You show up, make some baseless remark, then when confronted just waves it away. What's up with that?

This is so easy to verify. Literaly one Google search away:

Gamasutra

There are others like this one. Note the date, August 28, 2014.

KevinKeene

Banned

Gameinformer guy puts himself in the same shoes than minorities. This shit is so funny if it were not as sad.

"Name, photo, job - or you're a coward"

Who's the coward here?! I'd say it's the person who hopes to get the other one removed from his livelihood.

That gall ... *vomits*

B_Signal

"Name, photo, job - or you're a coward"

Who's the coward here?! I'd say it's the person who hopes to get the other one removed from his livelihood.

That gall ... *vomits*

I'm not saying that's not what would happen, I'm sure it would because that's what people do nowadays. But I suspect his argument is more about the anonymity, like "you wouldn't say it to my face", and I reckon most people wouldn't say half the nasty stuff they say online in person

Dunki

I'm not saying that's not what would happen, I'm sure it would because that's what people do nowadays. But I suspect his argument is more about the anonymity, like "you wouldn't say it to my face", and I reckon most people wouldn't say half the nasty stuff they say online in person
No it would be about calling your employee spread lies and trying to get you fired. They harassed a lot of devs already when these people showed an opinion they do not like. best example was the subnautica dev.

Last edited:

B_Signal

No it would be about calling your employee spread lies and trying to get you fired. They harassed a lot of devs already when these people showed an opinion they do not like. best example was the subnautica dev.
David Milner has done that? If he has then fair enough, if he hasn't then everything in my post still stands

Redshirt

Banned
Dude, I have noticed a pattern. You show up, make some baseless remark, then when confronted just waves it away. What's up with that?

This is so easy to verify. Literaly one Google search away:

Gamasutra

There are others like this one. Note the date, August 28, 2014.

I'm glad you've noticed a pattern.

TannerDemoz

But that is true. Game journalism is basically dead. Look at sites that publish gaming news. They barely hold up and most of them had to be attached to bigger groups to survive like IGN. Gaming mags almost all are dead. Simply put people no longer seek jornalist advices which should be their primary work. Now instead they look for opinion of thatsnwyboi324 on youtube because unlike journalists he at least plays games and you can see for yourself if game is for you or not.

Mind you that this is not just game journalism. Journalism in general is in death throwes. TV news stations don't even care about journalism they hire pundits to spin information to whatever their overlord wants, papers that used to be at the top of food chain are dying left and right AND they are not immune to clickbait as they collapse and print shit that would not fly 20-30 years ago. Gaming journalism shouldn't be even a therm if 99% of people who do it never finished jornalism high school. Out of all people i have seen in whole industry barely 5 people constitute as real journalists and half of them are self made youtubers rather than attached to some publishing companies.

Game journalists are like barbers right now. Yes you can find barber occasionally but overall they are dead as profession

Yeah but my beef is people calling out games journalism in particular. To add my opinion to your points.

• Gaming mags are almost dead:
Print media in any form is 'almost dead'. Look at the statistics. It isn't just the gaming industry that is suffering. Any kind of consumer-facing publications, in particular lifestyle magazines, are dying as a result of downward trends for print media.

• unlike journalists he at least plays games and you can see for yourself if game is for you or not.
I'm sorry, but the whole 'at least he actually plays games' argument is bullshit. The prerequisites to get into video game journalism are incredibly high. It's a fiercely competitive industry. If someone is in the industry, you can bet that they've got there through a strong knowledge of the industry and games in general, as well as being gifted writers. It's a multi-disciplined industry, whether that's content creation, feature ideas, research; w/e. The difference is, unfortunately, these people don't have the luxury of being able to play games all the time, unlike most streamers.

• Mind you that this is not just game journalism. Journalism in general is in death throwes
Fair play, I see I've started responding to your opinion before I've read the entirety of what you have to say properly (my bad). You're right, the industry is suffering in general – because it's a business. Websites are click to jump to list-based articles that are guaranteed to get clicks over substantial journalism – but it's unfair to say that all sites are doing that. Eurogamer, GamesTM, The Guardian, Gameindustry.biz, GamesMaster and OPM all publish some fantastic feature articles – many the result of months worth of quality research and journalism. If you like at some of the feature editors at these publications – and even the freelancers that are getting commissioned – they're dishing out quality pieces.

In summary/TLDR: I don't think it's fair to tarnish the entire video game journalism industry as being 'dead' because certain sites put out shit quality from time to time. It undermines the fantastic work other (legitimate) journalists are doing.

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

Lol at writing about games and calling yourself a journalist

Yeah man, lol at the editors at national tabloid publications because the gaming industry is worth so much money that the biggest publications in the world now need people with the expertise to cover the subject properly like any other topic.

Last edited:

CatCouch

If anyone is interested r/KotakuInAction has a bunch of the "gamers are over" pieces archived here:

Make of them what you will. It's just nice to be able to re-read them if we're going to talk about them years later as memory doesn't always serve us right.

Petrae

“Games Journalism” is straight-up shit.

When it’s not parroting press releases, it’s belitting the readers. It thrives on clickbait-driven headlines. It loves to generalize, lumping everyone together before telling the collective how shit it is and how it purportedly needs to be better. It’s exceptionally biased in the political arena, clearly taking a severely leftward stance and chastising any and all who disagree.

It’s not about the games anymore. It hasn’t been for years. It’s about the traffic. It’s about the controversy. It’s about claiming moral superiority.

I don’t need a cartoon (that had to be yanked because people got mad) to tell me that gaming journalism is dead, and many others don’t, either. We’ve already known it for a long time.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
“Games Journalism” is straight-up shit.

When it’s not parroting press releases, it’s belitting the readers. It thrives on clickbait-driven headlines. It loves to generalize, lumping everyone together before telling the collective how shit it is and how it purportedly needs to be better. It’s exceptionally biased in the political arena, clearly taking a severely leftward stance and chastising any and all who disagree.

It’s not about the games anymore. It hasn’t been for years. It’s about the traffic. It’s about the controversy. It’s about claiming moral superiority.

I don’t need a cartoon (that had to be yanked because people got mad) to tell me that gaming journalism is dead, and many others don’t, either. We’ve already known it for a long time.

There are only 2 people I would consider to be actual journalists and that's Patrick Klepek and Jason Schreier. Both have done some (imo) really good investigative reporting.

However, I think both Jason and Patrick have recently become like this:
b9rVupM.jpg

I mean, if you lined them all up, I believe most would say that they aren't journalists but are instead commentators and/or critics. Which is completely fine. Just hop on youtube and you can find a plethora of people to choose from that fit your personal beliefs. It's easy to avoid the outrage culture on either end of the spectrum and find some who I feel try to see both sides. Personally I've just recently discovered Laymen Gaming on Youtube and I quite enjoy them.

Anyways, back on topic. A GOG rep responded on reddit saying that they put out that tweet without knowing the background and they took it down because they don't want any part of it on either side. I honestly believe them.

I think it's completely fine to think the extreme on both ends of the spectrum are fucking idiots.

Edit: I will always value what Jeff Gerstmann thinks about video games even when I sometimes disagree with him. He's the Roger Ebert in this particular media imo.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Sad that barber's are dead too. I need an old man that understands my old fashioned hair cuts!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IIRC you can piss on everything in Postal 2. From dogs, to bikes, to people, trees, etc.

I guess journalist are another authority figure in the gaming world. Just like the TV show "The Critic", the catch phrase "It stinks!" is what games are up against. Some could say the people getting all upset about this miss their entire medium's punchline. Sure, change is good, but a large majority of this medium caters to fighting off some type of threat with violence or exploiting the same type of dark comedy that is Postal.

ilfait

When it doubt, be like Mike:

"I'm talking to you they way I wanna talk to you. You have a problem? Turn off your station"

Haha.

I wish that one of these SJW journalists had children so that I could kick them in their fuckin' head or stomp in their testicles so they could feel the same pain they inflict on the arts every day.

I'm glad I don't follow this stuff, but that was advertising something in that game. I own postal, its full of stupid/funny things.

I wish that one of these SJW journalists had children so that I could kick them in their fuckin' head or stomp in their testicles so they could feel the same pain they inflict on the arts every day.

Low testosterone levels means that they should have difficulty breeding.

Redshirt

Banned
I'm glad I don't follow this stuff, but that was advertising something in that game. I own postal, its full of stupid/funny things.

Something in the game that was GamerGate-specific. I actually own and have enjoyed Postal 2 as well, but...

You're trying to stomp my aspirations like I would stomp a testicle.

Heh. I like to think you'd strain a hammy and fall down crying trying to stomp a grape.

ilfait

Something in the game that was GamerGate-specific. I actually own and have enjoyed Postal 2 as well, but...

Heh. I like to think you'd strain a hammy and fall down crying trying to stomp a grape.
Well if that's the basic issue wrong with me then I've joined a long cast of people, famous and not-so-famous, with that medical condition. And if that's the problem with me then that's basically nothing 'cause I know that everyone in this room probably at one time or another suffer--probably even now--but they never let people know that they suffer from those symptoms.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I would have absolutely no problem voicing my opinion in person, face to face with a games journalist. I mean, have you seen most of them? Is it supposed to be an intimidating proposition or something?

B_Signal

I would have absolutely no problem voicing my opinion in person, face to face with a games journalist. I mean, have you seen most of them? Is it supposed to be an intimidating proposition or something?
no, it's supposed to be implying you're a decent person in reality who doesn't walk up to random strangers and wish cancer on their kids. Be who you are I guess

unless by 'your opinion' you just mean something like "I prefer youtube personalities", in which case I'm not sure why you're worried about getting dropped

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
no, it's supposed to be implying you're a decent person in reality who doesn't walk up to random strangers and wish cancer on their kids. Be who you are I guess

unless by 'your opinion' you just mean something like "I prefer youtube personalities", in which case I'm not sure why you're worried about getting dropped
Voicing my opinion face to face is “walking up to random strangers and wishing cancer on their kids”?

Ok.

Top Bottom