• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG apologizes for posting a picture of a Game Journalism tombstone

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The only thing cowardice is gaming journalists thinking they are a protected and/or minority group free from criticism.

Keep spinning the narrative like you are "oppressed", lol.

Petrae

The only thing cowardice is gaming journalists thinking they are a protected and/or minority group free from criticism.

Keep spinning the narrative like you are "oppressed", lol.

Who would’ve thought that people might react angrily to those who constantly belittle and talk down to them, as if they were some kind of parental figure?

“Oh, shit. We riled people up and now they’re coming after us. Someone save us— we don’t deserve this!”

At some point, people get pissed off when you constantly shit on them or bully them. And once they’re pissed off, they’re not always going to react in a civil manner. It doesn’t justify the behavior, but it certainly explains it— and the gaming press is reaping what it’s sown by picking these fights.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
and read the rest of what I wrote
So, I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t? How convenient for your narrative.

In real life, there are plenty of people just like me who aren’t pudgy, pasty basement-dwelling gamers. Who are confident and intelligent enough to string more than two words together and would love nothing better than to sit down and have a coffee, face to face with a modern games journalist and poke holes in there flimsy arguments. But, something tells me that those journalists would avoid someone like me because I don’t fit their ridiculous stereotype.

B_Signal

So, I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t? How convenient for your narrative.

In real life, there are plenty of people just like me who aren’t pudgy, pasty basement-dwelling gamers. Who are confident and intelligent enough to string more than two words together and would love nothing better than to sit down and have a coffee, face to face with a modern games journalist and poke holes in there flimsy arguments. But, something tells me that those journalists would avoid someone like me because I don’t fit their ridiculous stereotype.

That's not my narrative. You replied to me asking if it's meant to be intimidating, my reply was that unless you're going to be a prick you've nothing to worry about.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Edit: I will always value what Jeff Gerstmann thinks about video games even when I sometimes disagree with him. He's the Roger Ebert in this particular media imo.

He *used* to be. Recently he has become no better than Walker, Klepek, or Schrier.

NickFire

I would expect them to cancel the conversation to avoid giving a platform to you. And then peacock about on twitter and relish the adoration from their sheep for standing up to you. Then maybe write articles about how Steam or someone else needs to stop giving voices to bad people, and that everyone should as well.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Got any links?
It’s true. His SJW-style rants are getting longer and longer on the Bombcast recently.

He went from “we avoid controversial shit because we’re just here to talk about games and funny shit, man” to “where’s my soapbox? I need to talk down to my listeners for the next 10 minutes because I am morally and intellectually superior to them”.

I’m extremely close to dropping them from my podcast rotation. Never thought I’d say that.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Got any links?

He has made a number of comments regarding people like Daniel Vavre and his game Kingdom Come: Deliverance as well as weighed in on the Jessica Price situation. They have been mentioned in a number of threads in the past year here on NeoGaf (as well as other sites, but google will be more useful for that).

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/king...gerstmann-about-gbs-lack-of-coverage.1461134/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/guil...eated-twitter-exchange-with-streamer.1463543/

Then there is the Bombcast in particular, where he tends to go on longer and longer tirades using the same shitty, false narrative claims that the previously stated three use ad nauseum.

DryvBy

Figured I should post this:

DigPCx8XUAARNTJ.jpg

This is why you don't upset your actual customers lol. I love old PC games so much.

ilfait

He has made a number of comments regarding people like Daniel Vavre and his game Kingdom Come: Deliverance as well as weighed in on the Jessica Price situation. They have been mentioned in a number of threads in the past year here on NeoGaf (as well as other sites, but google will be more useful for that).

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/king...gerstmann-about-gbs-lack-of-coverage.1461134/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/guil...eated-twitter-exchange-with-streamer.1463543/

Then there is the Bombcast in particular, where he tends to go on longer and longer tirades using the same shitty, false narrative claims that the previously stated three use ad nauseum.
His comment on the Price situation is posted somewhere in that second GAF thread?

iconmaster

Banned
Any idea why GoG would choose that particular image from Postal? I’m not offended, it just seems very strange. It’s not indicative of gameplay AFAIK.

Redshirt

Banned
Any idea why GoG would choose that particular image from Postal? I’m not offended, it just seems very strange. It’s not indicative of gameplay AFAIK.

I think because it is/was a really popular GIF. The person who chose it probably stepped in dog shit.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

They should have apologized, but not in the way they intended.
They should have apologized for comparing gaming journalists to real journalists.

To be fair, you guys do sound angry as fuck, and predictably bringing in left v. right politics.

So glad all this drama remains alien to me.
Sure, I sound so angry in the only two posts (now 3) I made in this thread, LOL.

Oh and you might want to reread the thread to see who brought in the left v. right politics.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
He *used* to be. Recently he has become no better than Walker, Klepek, or Schrier.
I respectfully disagree.

Jeff just wants to talk about video games and all of the games he has in his bins in his garage. Jeff doesn't take to twitter, write articles on his website, or hell, even really talk about it on his podcast unless he has to. To compare him to the daily lectures from Waypoint or to be like Shreier who has taken to using a reddit post (where the poster came out saying that they were making shit up) as fact.

I think the most incendiary thing that Jeff has ever done is to make an article telling everyone to calm the fuck down.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I respectfully disagree.

Jeff just wants to talk about video games and all of the games he has in his bins in his garage. Jeff doesn't take to twitter, write articles on his website, or hell, even really talk about it on his podcast unless he has to. To compare him to the daily lectures from Waypoint or to be like Shreier who has taken to using a reddit post (where the poster came out saying that they were making shit up) as fact.

I think the most incendiary thing that Jeff has ever done is to make an article telling everyone to calm the fuck down.

The evidence is there. Jeff has pushed these same issues as Klepek/Schrier and continues to do so even more each passing week.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The evidence is there. Jeff has pushed these same issues as Klepek/Schrier and continues to do so even more each passing week.
I need to see receipts because I don't believe you. Show me an article, show me a tweet, or show me a section of a podcast where he's like Walker, Klepek, or Shreier.

And don't show me a one off. Show me a systemic pattern of Jeff being like those people who show it daily.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I need to see receipts because I don't believe you. Show me an article, show me a tweet, or show me a section of a podcast where he's like Walker, Klepek, or Shreier.

And don't show me a one off. Show me a systemic pattern of Jeff being like those people who show it daily.
Find them yourself. So far you have two people saying they have noticed it. You don’t have to agree, but don’t imply that he is making it up because he is not.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Find them yourself. So far you have two people saying they have noticed it. You don’t have to agree, but don’t imply that he is making it up because he is not.
Bullshit. I'm asking for receipts because I believe there aren't any. Abby, Vinny, Dan, Alex, Brad? Sure, I can and have seen it. Jeff? No.

And don't come at me with accusations or opinions as proof. I need solid evidence.

You're as bad as the denizens of ResetEra.

"Who fucking cares about proof? I need to be outraged and hate someone dammit!"

sol_bad

Is there any need to bring politics in to this discussion? Many people get offended over many things, it doesn't always have to relate back to politics every damn time. Unfortunately some people were offended over this image.

I think I read a post or two in here with people claiming they'll no longer support GoG? If you are an honest customer who has bough games from GoG, why would you not support them over a single "mistake"? Whether you are offended by them posting the picture or disheartened that they apologised it make no sense to me why you would cut support. They have a great service.

I am not offended by the image, played Postal 2 back when it came out and thought it was pretty average in terms of game play. The image makes sense in respect to the game and fans will find it funny.

Dontero

Banned
I'm sorry, but the whole 'at least he actually plays games' argument is bullshit. The prerequisites to get into video game journalism are incredibly high. It's a fiercely competitive industry.

Sorry but you are just wrong. Almost all game journalists are just bloggers who somehow got to write about games. Almost all of them have NO KNOWLEDGE of industry history other than they played games maybe 10 years ago. Especially now that older journalist quit job and are replaced by new "journalists" that are 20-22 year old and their whole gaming experience is minecraft + some mainstream games.

Not only most of them lack knowledge but also most of them are not even full time workers. They are just "contributors" which is basically opinion of some guy on internet no different than your own or my post here.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Bullshit. I'm asking for receipts because I believe there aren't any. Abby, Vinny, Dan, Alex, Brad? Sure, I can and have seen it. Jeff? No.

And don't come at me with accusations or opinions as proof. I need solid evidence.

You're as bad as the denizens of ResetEra.

"Who fucking cares about proof? I need to be outraged and hate someone dammit!"
Do your own homework and stop being so lazy.

Going to avoid the whole gamersgate discussion which I frankly don't fully understand, but games journalism is not what I am looking for anymore, and it hasn't been that way for years.

Spheyr

Banned
Going to avoid the whole gamersgate discussion which I frankly don't fully understand, but games journalism is not what I am looking for anymore, and it hasn't been that way for years.
Some skank made a barely-game and cheated on her boyfriend with a bunch of dudes and drama ensued, that's basically it

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't see how they were wrong to be honest. If anything, the handling of the recent ArenaNet firings has proven just how dead journalistic integrity in the gaming industry is.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Do your own homework and stop being so lazy.
That's not how this works. I'm not the one who made the accusation. Prove it to me.

Unless a mod jumps in and it's now guilty until proven innocent type thing. I don't think I need to go and dig to prove that the accusations are baseless. Isn't that up to the accuser?

I'm not lazy. I just don't do work when it shouldn't be required on my part.

TannerDemoz

Sorry but you are just wrong. Almost all game journalists are just bloggers who somehow got to write about games. Almost all of them have NO KNOWLEDGE of industry history other than they played games maybe 10 years ago. Especially now that older journalist quit job and are replaced by new "journalists" that are 20-22 year old and their whole gaming experience is minecraft + some mainstream games.

Not only most of them lack knowledge but also most of them are not even full time workers. They are just "contributors" which is basically opinion of some guy on internet no different than your own or my post here.

lol This is bullshit and you know it. Do you actually know any journalists? Can you back this up?

Dunki

Some skank made a barely-game and cheated on her boyfriend with a bunch of dudes and drama ensued, that's basically it
That was not the reason. It started when some kotaku guy wrote a positive article about her game without saying that they are close friends and even lived together. The other stuff was not known before. Also they did meetings via private channels how journalists could help her facing now criticism. So every time you now see a quote about the author relationship status with the dev or when people mention it in podcasts that’s because of Gamergate

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That's not how this works. I'm not the one who made the accusation. Prove it to me.

Unless a mod jumps in and it's now guilty until proven innocent type thing. I don't think I need to go and dig to prove that the accusations are baseless. Isn't that up to the accuser?

I'm not lazy. I just don't do work when it shouldn't be required on my part.
Are you the self-appointed arbiter of internet social interaction? Lol.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Are you the self-appointed arbiter of internet social interaction? Lol.
I thought this was common sense. Maybe you should head over to ResetEra where it just takes an accusation to lose your shit and the mods will back you up.

You do you.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I thought this was common sense. Maybe you should head over to ResetEra where it just takes an accusation to lose your shit and the mods will back you up.

You do you.
I’ve never stepped foot in that place, mate. But, you even talk like them: “That’s not how this works”. Lol, get stuffed. If you’re too lazy to pay attention to what Jeff has been saying on recent podcasts, that’s on you.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I’ve never stepped foot in that place, mate. But, you even talk like them: “That’s not how this works”. Lol, get stuffed. If you’re too lazy to pay attention to what Jeff has been saying on recent podcasts, that’s on you.

Hah!

If you make an accusation, back it up. Get stuffed indeed.

No that is not true:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224400/Gamers_dont_have_to_be_your_audience_Gamers_are_over.php

It was published on August the 28th 2014. So this is what the stone is about. This was the start of it.

Wow, been a while since I read that and I never actually noticed who wrote it.

I REALLY hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but.... it figures a woman wrote that lol

Reading that literally makes me feel sick to my stomach, fuck Leigh Alexander and anyone who's even halfway sympathetic to that mindset, I mean good Lord, what the total opposite of the right way to react to that controversy, the throw all of gaming culture under the bus because of that.

Times like this I feel the opening to Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" says it best.

“HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.”

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
If you're going to make a claim, then providing the evidence to back it up is work that you should be doing.
Gee whiz, I never realised the Jeff Gerstmann defence force was so fervent. Learn something new everyday.

Top Bottom