• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the thing in October isn't the addition of Lucasarts. They've been hinting at it for a while, and why would they put a question like this in today's quiz:

There's really no reason to prod at that unless they've got something up their sleeves.

If that was somehow a way to imply they got Bloodlines.... people will not be happy.

inm8num2

If Night Dive really did manage to somehow get LucasArts games, that would be a Herculean feat.

I wonder...who exactly is the guy behind Night Dive? Is he just a loaded business owner who happens to love old games?

Talyn

GOG continues to deliver with more birthday goodies. So glad I bought the Bullfrog pack when it was on sale a while back.
GOG.com 5th birthday celebration continues and we have some more gifts for you! This time, it's a nice pack of add-ons to the classic Bullfrog Productions titles in our EA catalog. There's plenty of previously not included content being added as you read this to five prominent Bullfrog games. If you bought them them previously, the updated versions will become available to you shortly. If you don't yet have those memorable classics in your collection, now you have some extra incentive to get them. Let's see what games get the Level-up treatment today, shall we?

Syndicate receives the American Revolt mission pack taking the future corporate executive work to a whole new level of awesome, thus becoming Syndicate Plus. Similarly, the fantasy underworld management game, Dungeon Keeper, becomes Dungeon Keeper Gold, with extra added evil in the form of the Deeper Dungeons expansion. Hidden Worlds have been discovered in the Arabian desert, making Magic Carpet into Magic Carpet Plus. Populous now invites you to the Promised Lands filled with new challenges, and Populous: The Beginning has yet some Undiscovered Worlds in store for you.

That's it! Five excellent, content-filled expansions await you in our classic Bullfrog titles. Again, if you bought any of these titles previously, you should now have access to the newly extended version without any additional fee. Have fun!

inm8num2

GOG continues to deliver with more birthday goodies. So glad I bought the Bullfrog pack when it was on sale a while back.

Indeed, the Bullfrog games at 75% off has been one of the best deals in GOG's sales. Just look at this from 3 months ago:

1.49 Dungeon Keeper
1.49 Dungeon Keeper 2
1.49 Populous
1.49 Populous 2
1.49 Populous: The Beginning
1.49 Syndicate Wars
1.49 Syndicate
1.49 Theme Hospital
1.49 Magic Carpet
1.49 Magic Carpet 2

$14.90 for all those games, now many with expansions. Can't beat that.

androvsky

If that was somehow a way to imply they got Bloodlines.... people will not be happy.

Glancing at the most requested ever list, I'd venture a guess that they're hinting at all three games. And we all know they'd announce Bloodlines first, if possible. ;)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Bloodlines... I played part of that back in 2004, and it felt horribly unfinished. I'd give it another shot if they re-released it on GOG, but I dunno why there's so much demand for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bloodlines... I played part of that back in 2004, and it felt horribly unfinished. I'd give it another shot if they re-released it on GOG, but I dunno why there's so much demand for it.

The community patches fix up a lot of the issues now, and generally speaking the VA/script is pretty amazing. The gameplay is pretty different depending on which clan you play as well, so there's a lot of things to see if you replay as different clans, people act differently towards you, lines change, your skills are different, etc, which is a very appealing quality for a RPG.

cicero

IndieGameStand Deal: 99 Levels to Hell (DRM Free, GOG key and Desura key). Pay at least $1 to get GOG and Desura activation keys. Buy at the average price (currently $1.41) and you get the OST. This deal last for about another 94 hours/4 days.

THE GOG KEYS EXPIRE ON THE 1ST OF DECEMBER. Seriously, activate your GOG key as soon as possible so you don't forget.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That game seems like it would be hella cool if they actually bothered to even attempt level design. I think I'll play Volgarr instead.

cicero

24 Hour Classic Gem Promo: Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition. 60% off ($3.99). The promo lasts until Tuesday, October 1, at 9:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/classic_gem_promo_galactic_civilizations_i_ultimate_edition

---

GOG.com 5th Birthday Giveaway: Forum Day

GOG is giving away 100 games a day for five days via social media and their other channels to celebrate their 5th birthday. Today it is through their forums, tomorrow it will be through Twitter or Youtube etc. I have won a couple of games during their previous promotions over the years. It could be worthwhile to check it out.

androvsky

24 Hour Classic Gem Promo: Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition. 60% off ($3.99). The promo lasts until Tuesday, October 1, at 9:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/classic_gem_promo_galactic_civilizations_i_ultimate_edition

---

GOG.com 5th Birthday Giveaway: Forum Day

GOG is giving away 100 games a day for five days via social media and their other channels to celebrate their 5th birthday. Today it is through their forums, tomorrow it will be through Twitter or Youtube etc. I have won a couple of games during their previous promotions over the years. It could be worthwhile to check it out.

Jumped on and posted, being pretty excited that there were only a few responses so far and that I was able to catch it so early. Then I notice there's already been 851 posts in the thread and it's only showing the latest few... :(

VandalD

Thanks for pointing that out. 1847 days for me. Might have a shot.
1844 for me, I'll probably easily get pushed out of the holdings but it amazes me to think that I've been there almost since the start.
I didn't even realize they've been open for 5+ years until today. Pretty crazy. I love that they were able to have such a success with no DRM.

vazel

Banned
I didn't realize the thread already had over 2k posts. Here I was smugly thinking I already won. I have 1800 days but I'm sure the 100 winner quota has already been filled.

Persona7

Banned
Splinter Cell on GOG worth it? I can't remember if it was that game or Ghost Recon that I was told to avoid for some reason.

mclem

When actually *is* the fifth anniversary, anyway? 365*5 is 1825, but there's several people quite a few days beyond that. Admittedly leap days would account for a couple, but we're dealing with folks ten, twenty days higher.

Yaska

When actually *is* the fifth anniversary, anyway? 365*5 is 1825, but there's several people quite a few days beyond that. Admittedly leap days would account for a couple, but we're dealing with folks ten, twenty days higher.
Folks like me (1846 days here) got in during beta phase, so I think the actual anniversary is on the date of the launch.

I was on 1846 days and I didn't get anything. So there must of be a lot of people.

When is the next sale? They seem to be popping up at irregular times.

Danny Dudekisser

I think someone said something about avoiding one of those games because Ubisoft had cut content or didn't include something for some reason.

As far as I know, there's nothing missing from the GOG release of Splinter Cell. There might be a lighting thing that you need to fix in the ini file, but you'd have to do that regardless of whether you have the retail, steam, or gog release.

mclem

I was on 1846 days and I didn't get anything. So there must of be a lot of people.

Well...

Have you participated in one of our 5th birthday contests, but are still waiting for its conclusion? We're a bit overwhelmed by the number of entries, as this is the ongoing biggest series of giveaways in the whole of GOG.com history. Please be patient, well sort it all out, eventually, and everyone who was lucky enough to win something will be notified. Sorry for the delay!

(From the news post for the most recent one)

You may well still be in luck.

mclem

Releases: One indie, one oldie, I believe.

Smugglers V: $9.99
Re-Volt: $5.99

I have the Dreamcast version of Re-Volt, but I've a nagging feeling I recall hearing that there were some quite major differences between the DC, N64 and PC versions.

Shaneus

Re-volt. Hmm, I'd almost jump in on that, I recall playing it on... at least DC, but possibly PC as well?

But enough with Re-volt, I want Ignition, damnit!

Danny Dudekisser

Was Re-Volt actually good? I didn't play it, because the Acclaim logo is usually a sure sign that a game is bad. But who knows?

larvi

Hah! 1847 here! :p

gogdays.png

Persona7

Banned
Great to see these old Acclaim games. I remember playing Re-Volt on Dreamcast. This game also had a Xbox version that was available to the Live Beta testers but it never came out when Acclaim started having trouble.

Perkel

Banned
Was Re-Volt actually good? I didn't play it, because the Acclaim logo is usually a sure sign that a game is bad. But who knows?

Re-Volt was awesome and frankly still is a lot of fun. Unlocking new cars feels fun same with powerups

Also rockets are amazing

cicero

GOG Weekend Promo: Entertaining Interplay. 50% off everything listed (34 titles), Promo lasts until Tuesday, October 8, at 9:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/weekend_promo_bentertaining_interplayb

---

On a somewhat related side note, does anyone know if there was a specific time limit to the Interplay sale gift codes from that Interplay Promo that started back last year on October 18th 2012? The huge Pay What You Want Interplay promo that also gave out one single gift code for any games that you already owned that you bought again in the promo. I thought it might have had a year long time limit?...

Shaneus

Fuck, Interplay sale.

Fucking fuck.

How's the PC port of Earthworm Jim 1 and 2? ...and how's Earthworm Jim 3D?
Can't comment on the first two (I played EWJ1 a long time ago on PC, I think it was just one of those super-generic Windows ports with redbook audio) but 3D is *woeful*.

vazel

Banned
In the late '90s Acclaim was actually often pretty good. Turok, Re-Volt, Shadow Man, Extreme-G... good games!
I will always be grateful to Acclaim for the support they showed for the N64, they had some of the best playing and looking games on the console(some of which were exclusives). Acclaim also showed everyone how to do a port right with Shadowman on the N64 which looked great, had a good framerate, made use of the expansion pack and had the VA intact.

They were also good in the comics world when they bought and revamped Valiant. Not that there was anything wrong with Valiant in the first place, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom