• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the PC port of Earthworm Jim 1 and 2? ...and how's Earthworm Jim 3D?
Earthworm Jim [1] has the Special Edition soundtrack, but is missing the Special Edition expansions to the stages, as well as the Genesis/Special Edition-only stage of Intestinal Distress and the Special Edition-only stage of Big Bruty (although I hated Big Bruty, so that much is no loss). Dunno if For Pete's Sake! uses the SNES or Genesis palette, though. At least, unlike the HD remake (blegh), it isn't missing Who Turned Out The Lights?

Earthworm Jim 2 is inexplicably missing Lorenzen's Soil.

Otherwise, they're fairly solid ports.

Earthworm Jim 3D... I remember buying this the instant I could when I spied the PC version on store shelves, and then making my way through it. Most of the game is... well, it's not good, but it's passable enough. Hard as nails, though, which is a big problem. Camera's not great, either.

However, the bosses are a huge letdown. You ride around on a pig that acts like a jetski, always moving forward whether or not you want it to, and have to collect 100 marbles (no less will do). Meanwhile your opponent is doing the same thing, and there are only 100 marbles in the stage to collect.

Obviously you can't both have 100 marbles under those conditions, so, naturally, you shoot at each other. You collect these oversized bullets, which then give you homing missiles, which can then be shot at one another. Your shots don't always hit your opponent, unfortunately (bad angles usually, not helped by the fact you can never stop moving, as noted earlier), and while you can technically dodge their shots by jumping at the correct time, but there are times when the timing for that is really difficult to pull off (not helped by the fact that, again, you cannot stop moving forward at all).

If they get hit, they drop some of their marbles, which you then have to snatch up before they do so you can get all 100. If you get hit, you drop some of your marbles and take damage from your health meter (which you can slowly regain from marbles - 1% at a time). Did I mention the boss doesn't have a health meter? So they can win by collecting all 100 marbles or by whittling that down to 0, while you can only by collecting all 100 marbles, period.

Add in how difficult the pig's controls are, causing you to miss those dropped marbles a few times over, allowing the boss time to regrab it, forcing you to grab another bullet and get it out of them again for a second chance, all the while hoping they don't hit you in the interim and cause you to lose your progress or your health... and these bosses drag out for a good while.

All of the bosses are like this. Every last one. Even the final boss.

And then the ending is horribly unsatisfying. I mean, not like the Earthworm Jim series has shied away from endings that are a little underwhelming (saving the princess
only for her to get crushed by a cow and fall into a pool of lava
in the first game,
"And so, having defeated the nefarious COW, our hero the COW is reunited with the lovely COW"
in the second), but this one's just a downright punch to the face: after you beat the final boss and return Jim's brain to sanity,
a fridge falls on you. THE END. Roll credits
. It then gives you the option to replay the entire game as the final boss, which is an interesting gesture, but the game's hard enough as it is that having a character that takes twice as much damage for no real benefit isn't really enticing.

Soundtrack is stellar, though. It may not be Tommy Tallarico like the first two, but Ged Grimes does a damn good job.

He's just doing that thing where he pretends an awful entry in a series never existed. Y'know, that "joke" that's never been funny in any sense, but everyone keeps doing anyway.

Persona7

Banned
Should I get MDK and MDK 2 or Sacrifice?

I vaguely remember playing MDK at a friends house. I have always wanted to play Sacrifice but I always forgot about it.

SuomiDude

Lionheart sounds pretty good if somewhat flawed, read couple of reviews on gog's site. So has anyone played it here and what you thought about it? I don't really need another game for my backlog, as I'm still playing through Divine Divinity and I also have Wizardry 8 waiting for me, but I'll eventually need another rpg, and Lionheart looks like a nice option.

muddream

Banned
MDK has some really timeless weird art, it's mostly a sniping/3rd person run and gun game.

MDK 2 is more of a 3rd person platformer. Do yourself a favor and avoid the hardest difficulty...it's not inherently difficult, just extremely time consuming because the enemies turn into ridiculous bullet sponges.

They're both solid.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lionheart sounds pretty good if somewhat flawed, read couple of reviews on gog's site. So has anyone played it here and what you thought about it? I don't really need another game for my backlog, as I'm still playing through Divine Divinity and I also have Wizardry 8 waiting for me, but I'll eventually need another rpg, and Lionheart looks like a nice option.

It's alright. It actually starts out quite strong but gets weaker the further you get. The early parts have lots of quests, cool dialog and world stuff but after maybe the first 3rd it just goes full Diablo and is a bit of a monotonous grind.

Going into it from Divine Divinity would probably be a bad idea, as the two games are conceptually very similar, but DD is vastly superior.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And the temptation to get Descent 3, MDK, and Messiah returns... Weird thing is I was never into that Trent Reznor futuristic grungepunk style...

Earthworm Jim [1] has the Special Edition soundtrack, but is missing the Special Edition expansions to the stages, as well as the Genesis/Special Edition-only stage of Intestinal Distress and the Special Edition-only stage of Big Bruty (although I hated Big Bruty, so that much is no loss). Dunno if For Pete's Sake! uses the SNES or Genesis palette, though. At least, unlike the HD remake (blegh), it isn't missing Who Turned Out The Lights?

Earthworm Jim 2 is inexplicably missing Lorenzen's Soil.

Otherwise, they're fairly solid ports.
It's also mentioning that both have password-only saving. The earlier PC "EWJ for Windows 95" port, which is the Special Edition, is the best PC version for sure if you can find it (it's disc only, no download release) and have a computer which can RUN it (most today won't, including mine), but... well, those are some definite downsides there. It does have all the levels and the enhanced animation and stuff from the Sega CD Special Edition version, though, and it also saves to a level-select menu -- so you unlock levels from the level select as you reach them. That's better than passwords.

The 1+2 collection (which is a DOS game, emulated on GOG) is the easiest way to play PC EWJ1 though for sure, even if it is missing two levels compared to the Win95 version, and it's also worth a look because that is the only PC release of EWJ2. The missing level is unfortunate, and it has passwords only for saving, so the PS1/Saturn versions have some worth as well, but still, it's a solid version, if you like EWJ games (I have mixed opinions of the series, which is why I don't have those, just this for EWJ2). And it's certainly a lot cheaper on GOG than getting those versions would be -- the Saturn version isn't cheap, and the PS1 version didn't get a US release.

I will always be grateful to Acclaim for the support they showed for the N64, they had some of the best playing and looking games on the console(some of which were exclusives). Acclaim also showed everyone how to do a port right with Shadowman on the N64 which looked great, had a good framerate, made use of the expansion pack and had the VA intact.

They were also good in the comics world when they bought and revamped Valiant. Not that there was anything wrong with Valiant in the first place, but still.
Yeah, their N64 support was fantastic, some of the best! Really great stuff, including all of those series I mentioned and more (their sports games were good too, Iggy's 'Reckin Balls on N64 is interesting, etc.). It's really too bad that they couldn't keep that quality, and popularity (their better N64 games sold well, I think), going into the 6th generation, but it didn't happen. They did still have some good games up until they shut down, XG4 is my favorite of the series for instance and it was one of their later releases, but they also had some mediocre stuff that gen too, sadly, which didn't happen with their N64 library.

And yes, the PC versions of the games they ported were often pretty decent too; of their N64 games, Turoks 1 and 2, Extreme-G 2, Shadow Man, and Re-Volt also have PC versions. Re-Volt is by far best on PC, followed by Dreamcast (the N64 and PS1 versions aren't close). XG2's got a better framerate and CD music on PC, but no multiplayer. Still, I love the PC version, and I hope GOG gets it eventually; it's a personal favorite of mine. As for the others, I haven't played the PC versions of Turoks 1 or 2, or Shadow Man myself.

Earthworm Jim 2 on the PC doesn't use passwords, actually. If you collect all three "password" pieces in any stage, you just get to skip that level with the press of a button in a menu. Was really convenient, I found.

Earthworm Jim 2 on the PC doesn't use passwords, actually. If you collect all three "password" pieces in any stage, you just get to skip that level with the press of a button in a menu. Was really convenient, I found.

What do you mean? If you collect those items, then quit the game and start it up again, you can skip levels up to the level you were at, or something? How odd... why would they implement a save system in such a weird way? And weren't 1+2 for DOS sold together from the beginning? But the first game is passsword-save-only, I'm pretty sure about that...

What do you mean? If you collect those items, then quit the game and start it up again, you can skip levels up to the level you were at, or something?
That's what I recall from the Can o' Worms collection, yeah. You could go to the "Password" screen on the menu and skip to the level after any stage you'd collected all the panels for. I used this feature all the time to skip Udderly Abducted, because I loathed that stage as a kid (hated the instant-death timed missions).

You're right in that the first game has no save functionality that I know of, though. The Windows 95 Special Edition port would easily be the way to go there, assuming you could even get it to run on a modern computer (you'll probably have to break out a virtual machine).

Perkel

Banned

I vaguely remember playing MDK at a friends house. I have always wanted to play Sacrifice but I always forgot about it.

MDK 1 is mediacore.

MDK2 is good fun.

Sacrefice is 10/10 game. It is one of the best and weirdest at same times games i had chance to play.

You play as summoner (?) and you are playing from TPP point of view RTS like gameplay. You summon from mana createres, build manaliths and cast spells. Each god has different creatures and power so with each mission you choose which god you will support getting that god spell and creature.

Story if good and voice acting is fantastic. Amazing atmosphere.

Casting Volcano on your enemies is kind of amazing from TPP point of view.

That's what I recall from the Can o' Worms collection, yeah. You could go to the "Password" screen on the menu and skip to the level after any stage you'd collected all the panels for. I used this feature all the time to skip Udderly Abducted, because I loathed that stage as a kid (hated the instant-death timed missions).
How bizarre! Why in the world would anyone even consider making a save system like that? "You have to write down the passwords to save, unless you collect the "Password" items in each level, in which case there's a semi-hidden level select"? What were they thinking??

You're right in that the first game has no save functionality that I know of, though. The Windows 95 Special Edition port would easily be the way to go there, assuming you could even get it to run on a modern computer (you'll probably have to break out a virtual machine).
I would think you probably would need a virtual machine, yeah. It definitely doesn't work in Vista 32-bit, anyway.

Polk

Kinda off topic, but I'll try here. Friend of mine needs MD5 hashes of two files from gog's version of Spelunky: strings.pct and alltex.wad.
He's translating the game and he wants to know if the files are the same between steam and gog version as both version have different features.

How bizarre! Why in the world would anyone even consider making a save system like that? "You have to write down the passwords to save, unless you collect the "Password" items in each level, in which case there's a semi-hidden level select"? What were they thinking??
There was no password write-down, actually. It was just the level select.

Link1110

What do you mean? If you collect those items, then quit the game and start it up again, you can skip levels up to the level you were at, or something? How odd... why would they implement a save system in such a weird way? And weren't 1+2 for DOS sold together from the beginning? But the first game is passsword-save-only, I'm pretty sure about that...

Aside from the 3 pieces thing, isn't the same exact thing Sonic 3 did? Being able to go back to any level you want up to where you were?

There was no password write-down, actually. It was just the level select.

Oh, okay, that makes more sense.

Aside from the 3 pieces thing, isn't the same exact thing Sonic 3 did? Being able to go back to any level you want up to where you were?

Sonic 3 didn't require you to collect items in order to continue from that point, though... the only game I can think of that did anything like that is Donkey Kong Land, and there the levels are short and you have a level-select world map, so you can go back and do an earlier level to save if you can't manage it in a later stage (you have to collect the KONG letters in a level to save in that game).

SuomiDude

It's alright. It actually starts out quite strong but gets weaker the further you get. The early parts have lots of quests, cool dialog and world stuff but after maybe the first 3rd it just goes full Diablo and is a bit of a monotonous grind.

Going into it from Divine Divinity would probably be a bad idea, as the two games are conceptually very similar, but DD is vastly superior.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I got from the reviews. I'm supposed to play Wizardry first, so I actually might pick it up. Couple of euros for several hours of fun isn't too bad even if the rest of the game isn't good. Thanks for your opinion.

Nikodemos

Sacrifice is neat. Great performances by all voice actors, excellent replayability due to branching paths, a nice assortment of easter eggs and a sprite companion that doesn't grate on your nerves after five minutes. The gameplay is pretty oldschool difficult, though; best use keybindings for quick spells.

Oh, and 'manahoars'.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto is pretty decent too. Has zany humour in the vein of Armed and Dangerous (developed later on by the same studio, Planet Moon). Don't forget to delete 'that' file.

Evolva isn't bad either. A bit light on substance, though.

MDK 1 is okay, but the second game is much better; it's a quite good game for the time. I liked it then, anyway, and beat the game, though I haven't replayed it since. It's too bad that Bioware never made another game like it, really...

As for Giants, I liked it, but eventually gave up partway through the Sea Reapers campaign because some of the levels were hard, and the game only saves between levels, annoyingly, so if you lose you start the whole long mission over... this gets very annoying after a while. It's worth a try, though. And yes, do delete that file before playing.

Persona7

Banned
Thanks for all the impressions, guys.

I went ahead and picked up Giants as well. I remember seeing that game at the game store on PS2 before but I never picked it up.

"That" file?

arpfix.gzp. Delete it! It was a last-minute addition, along with green blood, to try to get the game a Teen rating, but they failed to get the rating to change (down from M), but didn't remove it anyway... but it leaked out that you could get rid of the change by just deleting that file, and they did issue a red-blood patch, so both changes are reversible.

If you look at the cover art for the PS2 version, they added Delphi's bikini top into the cover art for the PS2 game, and of course there you can't remove it, but she doesn't have a top in the PC boxart, and yes, the game can easily be like that too.

But yeah, it'd have been nice if I could have gotten to the eponymous "Giant" missions, I never got past Delphi's section, as I said... you play the first third of the game as the Meccaryns, the middle third as Delphi the Sea Reaper, and the last third as Kabuto the Giant. Each one has quite different gameplay. Kabuto's sounded interesting, but the game just got so frustrating, I couldn't continue.

Nikodemos

From what I understand (never finished myself it due to backlog + gaming ADD) the key to staying alive with Delphi is just spamming turbo speed + slow time and going to the waters to heal after every single battle (no matter how minor) and even during some of the longer battles (break away from the enemies using turbo).

Fake edit: Isn't there a high-res texture pack for the MDK games? I remember something of the sort from about three years back. Or an HD remake, can't really recall accurately.

From what I understand (never finished myself it due to backlog + gaming ADD) the key to staying alive with Delphi is just spamming turbo speed + slow time and going to the waters to heal after every single battle (no matter how minor) and even during some of the longer battles (break away from the enemies using turbo).
I think I gave up at one of the "strategy" levels... where you have a base and stuff. They're harder than the normal ones, I think.

Nikodemos

I think I gave up at one of the "strategy" levels... where you have a base and stuff. They're harder than the normal ones, I think.
Oh, the ones where you have to protect the Smarties building stuff? Yeah, I've read those were very hard.

Kinda tempted to buy Giants, Sacrifice, or Descent 3... but I dunno. I'm not particularly amped about any of them.
If you'd like to see a different 'take' on the RTS genre, get Sacrifice. Great replayability. I think the multiplayer still works, too (dunno about the community, though).

If you'd like a solid action/shooter (and/or are already familiar with the Descent series), get Descent 3.

If you'd like a game with great sensahuma (heh, heh) which spans several genres (squad-based shooter, third-person action, strategy), get Giants. Do be warned, it's somewhat more difficult than the other two.

Shaneus

I remember it got AN update, I don't recall it being that big. It's still basically just a straight-up emulated ROM with little else (you can even see the ROM itself in a subfolder, I'm sure it could be dropped in and played with MAME with little modification).

bender

What time is it?
Wonder what the reason for PixelJunk Monsters being so much cheaper on GOG is. It's nearly three times the price on Steam. D:

I just tweeted the same question to @PixelJunkNews.

I won a $9.99 or below free game from the GoG Birthday twitter contest. Think I'll finally pull the trigger on Unreal Tournament 2004.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just tweeted the same question to @PixelJunkNews.

I won a $9.99 or below free game from the GoG Birthday twitter contest. Think I'll finally pull the trigger on Unreal Tournament 2004.

lol, I also won the GOG twitter giveaway, and bought Unreal 2k4 with it earlier.

I must've missed this, but why is Fallout marked as "Updated" in my game list?

Also, can I unsubcribe to GOG's Twitter now? I don't need to be told of every new game five times over. (I didn't win anything, anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom