• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

wazoo

I assume the implication is that they'd pursue this with the rights-holder for each title. Think of it like their current arrangement with DosBox and ScummVM.

Rights for consoel games are bit different unlike PC rights. You are linked to the platform holder. Reproduction and licencing of console games are dependent on the console manufacturer. One more hurdle (not even telling that for nintendo it would be a big no).

For Sega, they have refurbished some old games on steam with emulator, but only their own software, no 3rd parties, and that was Sega doing that, not an external reseller.

Slightly surprised that GoG didn't have Theme Park already. I wonder if they're not confident about if it'll run on some systems, and so wanted to hash out the refund policy first?

Theme Park runs under dosbox, you could have it running by yourself in 30 seconds.

Perkel

Banned
This is tolerated for very old systems, but completely illegal, especially if you want to make money out of it like gog wants.

How it is illegal if GOG takes rights to sell from IP holder ?

For example if GOG would get rights to sell Final Fantasy type0 which is for PSP only they could get emulator and run it on PC if they want. (if emulator doesn't use Sony stuff in it) and Sony couldn't do jack a shit because they don't control IPs only platform.

Perkel

Banned
Message on Banished dev blog:

Getting there…

When I started having the game tested, I expected there to be fewer suggestions and bugs with the general game play and simulation. My original thought was that I’d work out the crash bugs and then work on shipping the game. But I was wrong. Having new eyes on the game, and people playing in different styles showed some features that needed to be added or tweaked.

But other than taking slightly longer than I expected (like this entire project…), I’ve been really happy with the way testing and debugging the game has progressed. It’s made Banished a better game.

At this point, the game has been crash free for about three weeks, and the simulation is pretty stable and balanced. Most bugs that have trickled in the last week have been very easy to fix.

So whats left?

While I’ve got a bunch of tutorial work done, I put a hold on it while I was fixing bugs and adding user interface elements to streamline player interaction with the game. I need to finish and clean up the tutorials and the text that goes along with them. As soon as the tutorial work is finished, I’ll have a release candidate!

The tutorials show generally how to play, but they don’t cover everything. While you can tinker and discover things, sometimes it’s easier to just read about it. And so the manual will cover all those details. Like the tutorials, now that the UI is more complete the manual can be finished.

I also need to build installers for Non-Steam builds. This is pretty easy to do, but the installers also have to be tested on all operating systems and patching support needs to be tested.

Once the release candidate is ready, and while I do other non-programming tasks (business stuff, press, manuals, etc) the game will continue to be tested for stability, compatibility and bugs.

Given the remaining work that has to be done, it no longer seems likely that the game is going to be released in the period specified by my estimate of Late 2013, but I don’t expect the release to be too far behind.

I should be able to announce an official date soon. Stay tuned!

TLDR Banished will be probably released very early 2014 and there is strong chance it will make its way on GOG.

I shall enjoy my better anno fix.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Been replaying Anvil of Dawn recently, I forgot how awesome the death animations in that game were.

11303942645_2331cd9606_o.gif

11304133544_9488fb3aff_o.gif

11304177623_5c10289684_o.gif

11304249864_cecb7a8620_o.gif

mclem

Rights for consoel games are bit different unlike PC rights. You are linked to the platform holder. Reproduction and licencing of console games are dependent on the console manufacturer. One more hurdle (not even telling that for nintendo it would be a big no).

Ah, I was thinking more from the C64/Amiga side of things; I know they're perfectly content with selling licensing Kickstart in ROM form for use in emulation, at least. Not sure where things stand with C64 ROMs.

Edit: Release: Shadowrun Returns. Making good on the fact that Harebrained Schemes managed to negotiate DRM-free distribution rights a little while back.

This is tolerated for very old systems, but completely illegal, especially if you want to make money out of it like gog wants.

Not illegal at all, so long as the rights holder negotiates with GOG to make their ROMs / images available. They could even stop there and there'd be people like me happy to have legal retro games to run in the emulator of our choice, but they could go further and partner with emulator teams to provide a more seamless experience for GOG customers.

As was pointed a bit later this could be an issue with consoles images, but I don't think it is for Arcade (based on the former Star*ROMs), doubt very highly it is for the computer-like platforms Apple II, C-64, Atari 800, or Amiga, and would be shocked if the older consoles (Atari 2600/5200, Odyssey2, Intellivision, Coleco) would be an issue either. I'd be surprised if those type of console licenses existed back then and, if they did, they still had to honored.

A non-Nintendo or non-Sony rightsholder trying to make their content available without the blessing of the console manufacturer could be an issue. Not sure about SEGA.

I'm not a lawyer, of course, but I think GOG could make it happen. They've got a great storefront, experience running legacy software on modern PCs, and could ensure that everything is on the legal up-and-up.

wazoo

Ah, I was thinking more from the C64/Amiga side of things; I know they're perfectly content with selling licensing Kickstart in ROM form for use in emulation, at least. Not sure where things stand with C64 ROMs.

I know well on amiga emulation. Kickstart disks have to be taken from real disks or bought at amiga forever. That is why Winuae is not delivered with the roms, even if not much people care after 20 years.

wazoo

As was pointed a bit later this could be an issue with consoles images, but I don't think it is for Arcade (based on the former Star*ROMs), doubt very highly it is for the computer-like platforms Apple II, C-64, Atari 800, or Amiga, and would be shocked if the older consoles (Atari 2600/5200, Odyssey2, Intellivision, Coleco) would be an issue either. I'd be surprised if those type of console licenses existed back then and, if they did, they still had to honored.

right, it would probably work for most very old consoles (not Sony/Nintendo/Sega or NEC). For arcade, there is no such problems, since the board and everything belong to the software company. Arcade licensing would probably be the easiest to do, but still nobody does it.

wazoo

How it is illegal if GOG takes rights to sell from IP holder ?

For example if GOG would get rights to sell Final Fantasy type0 which is for PSP only they could get emulator and run it on PC if they want. (if emulator doesn't use Sony stuff in it) and Sony couldn't do jack a shit because they don't control IPs only platform.

To make it work basically would require Square to recompile the game under different libraries. OF ocurse, Square owns the IP and they are allowed to port it on any platform, but straight binaries running under emulator is very gray area.

mclem

I know well on amiga emulation. Kickstart disks have to be taken from real disks or bought at amiga forever. That is why Winuae is not delivered with the roms, even if not much people care after 20 years.

And if they're open to licensing to Cloanto, they are likely to be open to licensing to GoG.

wazoo

And if they're open to licensing to Cloanto, they are likely to be open to licensing to GoG.

Amiga should be possible, i do not know, what kind of licencing is involved with Cloanto.
Still, emulating correctly amiga games digitally would require licensing amiga roms, winuae and whdload, from 3 different sources.

Anyway this is probably not what people meant when talking about console roms.

Rights for consoel games are bit different unlike PC rights. You are linked to the platform holder.

I don't see any evidence this is true for historical consoles. ROM dump collections on console hardware from different manufacturers have been quite common (just look at any of Capcom's Mega Man collections, for example.)

There are systems that are currently difficult or impossible to emulate without BIOS images that are copyrighted by the platform-holders, but that definitely wouldn't affect the 8/16-bit generations.

I know well on amiga emulation. Kickstart disks have to be taken from real disks or bought at amiga forever.

Kickstart is copyrighted firmware for the Amiga system that's required for running the software. Old console games wouldn't have a similar problem, and theoretically an Amiga solution that didn't require any copyrighted material (along the lines of what AROS is doing) would be possible.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't even play the shit I got from the last sale.

Though I was away from my gaming PC at the time, so I blame that on my lack of interest in actually diving into anything.

Whatever.

Gonna spend money.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Request for for bolding Primordia and Resonance, two adventure games from the Blackwell guys (Primordia was published by them) that are really quite good (I think Gemini Rue is still their best though). Also Dust and Trine 2 are definitely good enough action platformers to get my recommendation

szaromir

Banned
Ultima Underworld 1+2 bundle is on sale for $2. Yay or nay? I've never been a big fan of dungeon crawlers, but as I understand these two are crème de la crème?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ultima Underworld 1+2 bundle is on sale for $2. Yay or nay? I've never been a big fan of dungeon crawlers, but as I understand these two are crème de la crème?
If you don't like dungeon crawlers, than maybe you won't care for it. But these games are classics and if you like Ultima and want to add it as a collection, than go for it.

Persona7

Banned
I thought I had arx fatalis already, I should get it in case they do pull it.

Edit : never mind, I do have it. I guess it was just a website glitch.

cicero

If you own the game it will always be available. This just means that nobody can buy it anymore on GOG.

I wonder how many people gifted to their secondary email accounts for free... *cough*

BTW, wouldn't this also impact the Steam versions as well? Are they likely to get pulled?

Perkel

Banned
Seems like Fallout is definitely leaving the GOG catalog. That blows.

http://www.gog.com/news/letter_to_santa_2013

More like Interplay license is going to betsheda now. They had this deal when they sold IP that for few years they will be able to sell old fallout games and they will have right to create Fallout MMO.

This should also mean Steam will take them down also.

Bigger question is if GOG is in talks with Betsheda. Getting Morrowind Complete from GOG would be best thing ever.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The only major omission (other then Lucasarts of course) that I'd like to see added to GOG is SSI and all their classic D&D games

The Gold box games, EOTB, Ravenloft, Menzoberranzan, Hillsfar, etc... so much awesomeness there.

Shaneus

The only major omission (other then Lucasarts of course) that I'd like to see added to GOG is SSI and all their classic D&D games

The Gold box games, EOTB, Ravenloft, Menzoberranzan, Hillsfar, etc... so much awesomeness there.
Horse riding in Hillsfar was fun as hell. I also can't forget Pool of Radiance or Secret of the Silver Blades. Much fun spent mapping out... maps... on grid paper.

Persona7

Banned
More like Interplay license is going to betsheda now. They had this deal when they sold IP that for few years they will be able to sell old fallout games and they will have right to create Fallout MMO.

This should also mean Steam will take them down also.

Bigger question is if GOG is in talks with Betsheda. Getting Morrowind Complete from GOG would be best thing ever.

GOG was trying to renegoiate the contract for Fallout but they apparently refused.

Shaneus

GOG was trying to renegoiate the contract for Fallout but they apparently refused.
So GOG/CDP did the biggest "fuck you" they could have possibly done and gave the game out to everybody. That's like the Soup Nazi in Seinfeld getting all his recipes given away by Elaine.

Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom