• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

GOG Weekend Promo: BOOM! Black Friday, Baby!. 70% off everything listed (65 titles), Promo lasts until Tuesday, December 3, at 10:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/weekend_promo_boom_black_friday_baby

Shaneus

You bastards had better buy Powerslide.

I'm still bummed that the Dangerous Dave pack only contains the Dangerous Dave 2 games :(

Oh, still waiting for Hi-Octane, too.

And is that Superfrog the new HD one, or the original? Edit: Original. Sweet.

inm8num2

Good lord what an amazing sale. GOG has been absolutely killing it.

I can't think of a good reason to not buy most of the games I don't have (which is a vast majority of them), other than not wanting to piss away tons of money on games I'll never play.

But my GOG shelf would look so pretty. :)

inm8num2

No worries, I am on a tighter budget for games lately (and my backlog is, imo, too large at the moment), so I can hold off on all of them for now. Will keep an eye out for Riddick cheaper during Christmas.

Riddick is 70% off now ($4.49). Not sure if it'll show up during the holiday sales, but if you don't want to think about it further I'd say now's a good time to take the plunge!

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, I decided to get Riddick last night

Make sure you grab the DLC for that game. There is a thread on the GOG forum with information.

Atari originally released them for free after a year or so of being retailer exclusive but the Riddick website went down.

mclem

Release: Trine 2: Complete Story: $4.99 (75% off, normally $20).

But you don't want to buy that. If you're interested in it, take a look at:

Trine Promo: Complete your set of Trine, for 85% off. If you own neither, that's both games for the price of the second. If you own Trine 1, that's Trine 2 for $2.99.

wazoo

Installed and checked. DVD appear in the menu. Videos are much cleaner. There is a bit of tearing, do not know if we can avoid it (vsync videos , does it exist ?) no more interlaced mode, better clarity.

wazoo

Out of interest, which of the Tex Murphy games does this relate to? I've got all 3 but none are showing as having updates available?

Tex Murphy Overseer. There was a DVD version, which was impossible to make it run for years (and more and more difficult as OS changed). Now, they have their own decoder and the video is crystal clear. Too bad, we can not run the game in a window, it will be even better.

The update was hidden in their 2.0 setup change.

Tex Murphy Overseer. There was a DVD version, which was impossible to make it run for years (and more and more difficult as OS changed). Now, they have their own decoder and the video is crystal clear. Too bad, we can not run the game in a window, it will be even better.

The update was hidden in their 2.0 setup change.

Awesome, cheers for that! I'm yet to start Overseer so I'll get the deluxe treatment when I do!

inm8num2

Eidos/Squeenix released FF VIII on Steam recently but not on GOG, which is a little weird since they released many of their games on GOG (Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, etc.) since the deal in early 2012. It makes me wonder if GOG is in trouble with maintaining a steady flow of classic releases. Today they released Zombie Shooter, something that was bundled in the first couple Indie Galas.

Not to sound the alarm, but it does seem like this is a very critical time for GOG. I'm certainly happy they expanded their brand a bit to include "indies" or other modern titles, but many of these reach GOG months after being bundled for cheap. However, sometimes I wonder if they're struggling to just find games to release.

They rebranded about 1.5 years ago, but I think people still want GOG to be that place you go for old games. Some of those old games have popped up on Steam in recent months, as the value and potential for selling old games has been demonstrated. But, as GOG loses that exclusivity I do feel a bit apprehensive for them. With old games appearing on more sites like Steam, and Humble Bundle selling DRM-free indies with Steam keys, I wonder how GOG will continue to adjust.

Arde5643

My GOG backlog is getting almost as big as my Steam backlog now - which is quite something considering I've had Steam for way longer.

Perhaps in the future they'll get to that stage, but for now they're the go-to site for old and "not so new" games.

cicero

It is looking like the 70% off price point might be the new regular price point for most Weekend promos!

GOG Weekend Promo: Fast and Adventurous. 70% off everything listed (20 titles), Promo lasts until Tuesday, December 10, at 4:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/weekend_promo_fast_and_adventurous

About the somewhat awkward choice of title for this promo...
Here's a thing about coincidences: they happen. And when they do happen, they sometimes produce awkward outcomes. Seeing that we're offering a whole bunch of classic fan-favorite racing games, as well as some awesome adventure titles on one big sale, we decided to call the promo Fast and Adventurous. How clever of us, isn't it? A play on the Fast and Furious movie series title and the prominent game genres in the promo--seemed just perfect. Then, a day after we approved the title and made it final, came the news: Paul Walker and his driver died tragically in a car crash. Imagine, how stupid we felt. Now, all we can do, is to assure you that we meant no disrespect and many of us are big fans of Paul Walker's the over-the-top spectacular movie series. We're going to miss the man who made such a great job of entertaining so many people.

cicero

Eidos/Squeenix released FF VIII on Steam recently but not on GOG, which is a little weird since they released many of their games on GOG (Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, etc.) since the deal in early 2012. It makes me wonder if GOG is in trouble with maintaining a steady flow of classic releases. Today they released Zombie Shooter, something that was bundled in the first couple Indie Galas.
They also released FF VII on Steam without releasing on GOG, so it isn't that strange in itself. As for Zombie Shooter, we have seen worse releases than that. We have had plenty of "old" titles released this year. Go through the releases listed in the OP, it is a decent list for old games.

Not to sound the alarm, but it does seem like this is a very critical time for GOG. I'm certainly happy they expanded their brand a bit to include "indies" or other modern titles, but many of these reach GOG months after being bundled for cheap. However, sometimes I wonder if they're struggling to just find games to release.
I have to agree about Indie titles, I do wish they would release alongside Steam releases. But that is hardly proof that they are unable to find games to release, or that this is a "critical" time for GOG. See interview below where he references GOG's new Indie game submission process.

They rebranded about 1.5 years ago, but I think people still want GOG to be that place you go for old games. Some of those old games have popped up on Steam in recent months, as the value and potential for selling old games has been demonstrated. But, as GOG loses that exclusivity I do feel a bit apprehensive for them. With old games appearing on more sites like Steam, and Humble Bundle selling DRM-free indies with Steam keys, I wonder how GOG will continue to adjust.
Humble Bundles have been going since 2010, so they were releasing their typical DRM-Free versions along with Steam keys a while before GOG was even releasing Indie titles. As for Humble Bundles, they are quite limited. You get a random selection of games, usually months to years after they have been already released. As for me, I still buy indies from GOG despite already owning them on Steam, and even when I am waiting them down until they hit a Humble type bundle. My appreciation for and reasons haven't changed, I still prefer GOG to Steam/Humble. I think that the whole "Pick 5, Pay $10" selection type Promo that GOG has run has been Indie focused and quite successful.

IncGamers GOG Interview: Trevor Longino (20 Sep 2013)

IG: Does the change from “Good Old Games” to GOG signify an actual movement away from publishing older games? Is there a point at which you feel the site will have got hold of as many of those classic titles as it’s able to?

TL: There’s been a lot of question about that from our community, so it’s worth investigating the hard numbers: GOG.com has traditionally released between 1 and 2 classics a week for the three + years we sold only classic games. I just did a quick count through our catalog, and in the last 92 weeks (since we started selling new games in earnest) we’ve been averaging more than 1.6 classic releases a week. In that time, we’ve seen games like the Quest for Glory series; Thief, Deus Ex, and Hitman series from Square Enix; Shadow Warrior, Neverwinter Nights 2, the Leisure Suit Larry series; Krush, Kill ‘N’ Destroy, the Wizardry series, and, of course, System Shock 2. Some of our best classic releases have happened since we started selling new games, so I don’t think you can really say that we’ve given up on classic games on GOG.com.

I also don’t think we’ll ever run out of “classic” games to release. After all, every year that goes by brings more games into the classic fold.

IG: Within the last month or so you’ve set up a game submission program for indie games. What advantages does GOG’s program have over Steam’s Greenlight service and Amazon’s indie publishing?

TL: We believe our indie program is the “best of both worlds” approach, combining professionalism and human touch. Of course we listen intently to our community’s voice, but we believe feedback from proven professionals is more valuable for devs who are still working on a game, than their fans’ hype. The process of getting your game published on GOG.com has a lot of that human factor, as our bizdev team will offer insight on the submitted game, never leaving devs without feedback. GOG’s marketing team also usually comes up with cool, tailor-made ideas for promoting each release treating it as more than just an everyday chore.

IG: Have any games been published through that open submissions process yet? Are there any upcoming?

TL: Not yet. It’s been just a touch over a month. Give us a little time; we have a few games from the submissions process that are nearly ready, I do believe.

During and after almost every single large promotion that GOG does I see numerous people who have just signed up and are enthusiastic about a digital distribution service that they had never heard of before. They have around 2 million monthly visitors to their website, and they still are releasing fantastic old games. Obviously his comments about a neverending stream of new "classic" titles is a bit off given how so many of those titles will already be available on Steam, unlike the distinct lack of availability of older titles before the digital era. So they will have to meet the challenge of a decreasing amount of available classic titles to release and innovate/adapt, or die. That is typical and normal in most businesses though. I do think it is a bit premature to start singing funeral dirges for them at this point. :p

inm8num2

They also released FF VII on Steam without releasing on GOG, so it isn't that strange in itself. As for Zombie Shooter, we have seen worse releases than that. We have had plenty of "old" titles released this year. Go through the releases listed in the OP, it is a decent list for old games.

It is strange if a publisher who was releasing their old games on GOG chooses not to for certain releases. That's an anomaly. And no, I never said there weren't old titles released this year. I wondered about the future of releasing old titles, as it's clear the pool is drying up on games they can reasonably license.

Humble Bundles have been going since 2010, so they were releasing their typical DRM-Free versions along with Steam keys a while before GOG was even releasing Indie titles. As for Humble Bundles, they are quite limited. You get a random selection of games, usually months to years after they have been already released. As for me, I still buy indies from GOG despite already owning them on Steam, and even when I am waiting them down until they hit a Humble type bundle. My appreciation for and reasons haven't changed, I still prefer GOG to Steam/Humble. I think that the whole "Pick 5, Pay $10" selection type Promo that GOG has run has been Indie focused and quite successful.

Fair enough, but just because that's your purchasing philosophy doesn't mean it applies to everyone else. Can't imagine the majority of people repurchasing something they've already gotten cheap and even DRM-free already.

During and after almost every single large promotion that GOG does I see numerous people who have just signed up and are enthusiastic about a digital distribution service that they had never heard of before. They have around 2 million monthly visitors to their website, and they still are releasing fantastic old games. Obviously his comments about a neverending stream of new "classic" titles is a bit off given how so many of those titles will already be available on Steam, unlike the distinct lack of availability of older titles before the digital era. So they will have to meet the challenge of a decreasing amount of available classic titles to release and innovate/adapt, or die. That is typical and normal in most businesses though. I do think it is a bit premature to start singing funeral dirges for them at this point. :p
Yea... I never did that. I even said I wasn't "raising the alarm".

Just because some pontificates on the future of a business doesn't mean they think it will fail. I merely raised concerns about how GOG is adapting to the new landscape. It's okay to express concerns. ;)

But if you wanted my personal opinion (I doubt you do), I think GOG's bread and butter is still releasing old games people can't find anywhere else. No, I'm not saying they should abandon every effort and focus on that only. I'm saying that, based on what I read from their forums, people are there first and foremost for "old" games. They're also there for DRM-free games, newer releases, and various other things.

However, if in a few years GOG had to hypothetically rely on indies and other non-classic releases as their primarysource of revenue, while competing with Steam, Humble Bundle/Store, etc., I think that would be quite challenging for them.

This is indeed a critical time for GOG. Don't see how anyone can deny that. The old games market has become more competitive, and GOG has endeavored into a newer/indie market already well populated and established by others. Put two and two together, and that's actually quite a tough spot to be in, even considering GOG's advantage of DRM-free. Note that I didn't say they can't be successful, though.

Just because something is "critical" doesn't mean it's doomed to failure. It means that GOG is putting extra effort into things like special promos (Insomnia) to get more exposure and add new customers. I applaud them and think it's working well, but you painted me as predicting doom and gloom because I recognize that GOG is facing challenges, when all I wondered is how they'll continue to adjust.

Also, this thread at their forums might be a little more pessimistic, but I think there is validity to the concerns raised:

The problem is that GOG is slowly but surely having its market advantages eroded away by its competitors. Almost all distributors except Steam, GMG and Origin offer DRM-free as a selling point now. Steam is now selling more classic games, mostly courtesy of Night Dive but also with Square Enix actually releasing the GOG versions byte-for-byte on Steam.

Speaking of Night Dive, what they've achieved over the past year or so puts a massive question mark over GOG's negotiation capability. The GOG community had been begging and screaming for System Shock 2 for years until the previously unheard of Night Dive managed to turn negotiation into release in barely five months. You have to ask - what had GOG been doing wrong all that time that Night Dive suddenly did right?

GOG has essentially been turned into a dumping ground for ex-bundle indie titles and classic titles that were available DRM-free in the past anyway. I'm not ignoring such isolated licensing achievements as Dust: An Elysian Tail, Rise of the Triad the DRM-free versions of which were exclusive to GOG, but companies like Ubisoft and Activision seem to be abusing GOG as a last-ditch marketplace to reduce losses from sales of used copies of classic games.

I've mentioned it before in this thread, but... They could differentiate themselves again by selling old ROM / disk images for other platforms, ideally partnering with the best emulators for as many platforms as possible to provide a seamless experience. I'd spend LOTS of money on old arcade and Odyssey2 and Atari 2600 ROMS as well as C=64 and Amiga disk images. LOTS.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
How is Steam and those others offering DRM free games? I mean, you have to use the Steam client at least once in awhile to operate those games unlike GOG where you can download the game and make hundreds of backups you can keep and will work at any time.

Minsc

Gold Member
How is Steam and those others offering DRM free games? I mean, you have to use the Steam client at least once in awhile to operate those games unlike GOG where you can download the game and make hundreds of backups you can keep and will work at any time.

There's a decent number of Steam games that you can literally just copy out of the Steam directory and paste on to another computer in any random folder and they run. Others merely require you to load them on Steam to get the required stuff in your registry (much like installing a GOG game's exe), and then you no longer need steam even loaded to run them. Of course it's not 100% like GOG, but a fair number of non-AAA games aren't tied to the Steam client. Maybe 20% if I had to take a wild guess.

cicero

It is strange if a publisher who was releasing their old games on GOG chooses not to for certain releases. That's an anomaly. And no, I never said there weren't old titles released this year. I wondered about the future of releasing old titles, as it's clear the pool is drying up on games they can reasonably license.
Except that the limited pool of older titles has always been an issue, and it is one that they have repeatedly answered the same way as they did in the article I quoted. I would assume that Eidos/Square simply didn't want to sign the usual GOG exclusivity clause like they did with System Shock 2 and the Thief games for what would be their obvious best selling IP for financial reasons before I would assume it has some darker more ominous meaning for GOG as a whole.

I understand that you never said there were no old titles released this year, that wasn't what I responded to. I pointed out the release list in the OP in response to your specific comment about GOG possibly having "trouble with maintaining a steady flow of classic releases.", implying that there hasn't been a steady stream. That is all.

Fair enough, but just because that's your purchasing philosophy doesn't mean it applies to everyone else. Can't imagine the majority of people repurchasing something they've already gotten cheap and even DRM-free already.
My personal anecdotal experience was not given as an example to try to prove that my experience was the normal experience or desire for everyone else. It clearly is not overly abnormal though, as I have seen from the numerous similar comments about multiple purchases of the same titles on both digital services. Clearly GOG felt there was and still is value in pursuing Indie games on their service despite Humble having already been releasing DRM-Free AND Steam keys for what, over two plus years, before GOG even got into Indie releases? I fail to see how Humble is posing any kind of serious impending threat to GOG and the future success of its Indie releases. Even if there was such a thread, it was a threat that already existed before GOG got into Indies, and yet they still did, and choose to make it an increasing focus of their service.

Yea... I never did that. I even said I wasn't "raising the alarm".

Just because some pontificates on the future of a business doesn't mean they think it will fail. I merely raised concerns about how GOG is adapting to the new landscape. It's okay to express concerns. ;)
I knew you said you weren't raising an alarm, but then again that is pretty much what it sounded like, heightened serious concerns about the future of GOG. I merely gave my two cents in response that I thought brought some more context to the situations you mentioned. I agree with some of your concerns, I have repeatedly voiced some of them myself as well. I don't think we are at a tipping point at this moment though.

Even if GOG did nothing but release newer titles that had already been released on Steam and started calling them "new classics", wouldn't they still be getting the typical great GOG focus on extras and most importantly, DRM-Free? To me, DRM-Free is the desired end that I want and appreciate. I don't think Humble is ever going to really compete with GOG on that same level.

But if you wanted my personal opinion (I doubt you do), I think GOG's bread and butter is still releasing old games people can't find anywhere else. No, I'm not saying they should abandon every effort and focus on that only. I'm saying that, based on what I read from their forums, people are there first and foremost for "old" games. They're also there for DRM-free games, newer releases, and various other things.

However, if in a few years GOG had to hypothetically rely on indies and other non-classic releases as their primarysource of revenue, while competing with Steam, Humble Bundle/Store, etc., I think that would be quite challenging for them.
I am not trying to shut down your personal opinions, I just have differing ones from yours about certain things.

In a few years? Sure, things will look differently for GOG. I doubt that they will look the same for either Steam or Humble though too. Change and the need to adapt is part of business. I don't think Humble, or its infant new store, pose the same level of threat that you seem to think they do for DRM-Free versions of new games. GOG is improving their Indie submission process, so we should see an increase of new releases with a GOG focus.

This is indeed a critical time for GOG. Don't see how anyone can deny that. The old games market has become more competitive, and GOG has endeavored into a newer/indie market already well populated and established by others. Put two and two together, and that's actually quite a tough spot to be in, even considering GOG's advantage of DRM-free. Note that I didn't say they can't be successful, though.
The availability of older games on other services was always a given for GOG, seeing as how they specifically pursued exclusivity agreements over the years. The main difference has always been DRM-Free, and Humble isn't picking up any slack for older titles whatsoever. DRM-Free is pro-consumer and there is always going to be a desire by people to control the things that they buy and not have them be a mere rental of limited access to their purchases. I think that fundamental difference is always going to be GOG's greatest strength and the basis for further interest by new customers. At this point I think that Humble is, at best, playing catch up with an vastly inferior library and site design, so I don't even see them as a viable threat to GOG's market.

Just because something is "critical" doesn't mean it's doomed to failure. It means that GOG is putting extra effort into things like special promos (Insomnia) to get more exposure and add new customers. I applaud them and think it's working well, but you painted me as predicting doom and gloom because I recognize that GOG is facing challenges, when all I wondered is how they'll continue to adjust.

Also, this thread at their forums might be a little more pessimistic, but I think there is validity to the concerns raised:
I just think there is more context to the issue as you described it. They ARE releasing a steady stream of older titles, they have a new submission process for Indies that we have yet to see the results of, they still have the best DRM-Free service and library that Humble can't even come close to matching, they still are the superior service for those looking to control the products they buy. While I have concerns for GOG as well, I think I see things in a more positive light than you seem to have.

inm8num2

(long post coming - sorry to others reading the thread)
Except that the limited pool of older titles has always been an issue, and it is one that they have repeatedly answered the same way as they did in the article I quoted. I would assume that Eidos/Square simply didn't want to sign the usual GOG exclusivity clause like they did with System Shock 2 and the Thief games for what would be their obvious best selling IP for financial reasons before I would assume it has some darker more ominous meaning for GOG as a whole.

Eh...it's fair to say that publishers wanting their old games in more places than GOG does show that those publishers may not view GOG the way they did before (as "the place" to put their old games), among other things (like wanting those oldies on Steam, which is valid from their perspective). GOG is losing some exclusivity on older games, and that has been one key to their success in the past. Seems like a valid observation.

I understand that you never said there were no old titles released this year, that wasn't what I responded to. I pointed out the release list in the OP in response to your specific comment about GOG possibly having "trouble with maintaining a steady flow of classic releases.", implying that there hasn't been a steady stream. That is all.

It's actually been up and down. The summer months didn't see many pre-2005 releases, for example. Overall they can certainly average over one "classic" per week over the course of a year, and I'm one of the people who doesn't think that adding indies takes away from old releases or GOG's resources for them (it's like having the regular 1-2 classics per week from a couple years ago, plus indie/new games on top of that), but there have been some dry spells.

My personal anecdotal experience was not given as an example to try to prove that my experience was the normal experience or desire for everyone else. It clearly is not overly abnormal though, as I have seen from the numerous similar comments about multiple purchases of the same titles on both digital services. Clearly GOG felt there was and still is value in pursuing Indie games on their service despite Humble having already been releasing DRM-Free AND Steam keys for what, over two plus years, before GOG even got into Indie releases? I fail to see how Humble is posing any kind of serious impending threat to GOG and the future success of its Indie releases. Even if there was such a thread, it was a threat that already existed before GOG got into Indies, and yet they still did, and choose to make it an increasing focus of their service.

Like I said, I don't disagree with GOG releasing indies and newer games. I think it's great. But it's also a decision they made partly out of necessity, understanding that the availability of pre-2005ish games to release would diminish due to various rights or compatibility issues.

I don't see why the existence of the "threat" of HIB selling DRM-free indies/newer games with Steam keys existed before GOG got involved with the market negates or lessens any of the associated challenges or issues with GOG and HIB selling similar indies. The challenge of expanding into a new market and the reasons for expansion seem like separate things to me.

I knew you said you weren't raising an alarm, but then again that is pretty much what it sounded like, heightened serious concerns about the future of GOG. I merely gave my two cents in response that I thought brought some more context to the situations you mentioned. I agree with some of your concerns, I have repeatedly voiced some of them myself as well. I don't think we are at a tipping point at this moment though.

Even if GOG did nothing but release newer titles that had already been released on Steam and started calling them "new classics", wouldn't they still be getting the typical great GOG focus on extras and most importantly, DRM-Free? To me, DRM-Free is the desired end that I want and appreciate. I don't think Humble is ever going to really compete with GOG on that same level.

"Critical time" means something like a one-year period, and we're at the back end of it. That doesn't mean it's a tipping point, though. This is a much longer, drawn out process. GOG is actually doing quite well financially - the critical nature refers more to the plans they make today for what might be their situation in a year or two. Not imminence of what might happen to them tomorrow or the next week.

Regarding HIB, again it's about the competition for specific parts of the market. Nobody's saying that HIB and GOG are competing to sell DRM-free AAA games. The crossover is clearly in the indie market. But if you mention extras, it should be noted that a complaint about newer releases on GOG is sometimes the lack of extras or soundtracks. There are games that were in a HIB with full soundtracks, but when released on GOG they might just have a couple sampler tracks or possibly nothing at all.

I see the possibility GOG selling fully-patched, DRM-free, GOTY/complete editions of "new classics" down the road, but I don't see much incentive for the big publishers to get on board with that. Many of them prefer to use Steamworks, even for games that are currently 5+ years old. It could happen for some titles, but we have to wait and see.

I am not trying to shut down your personal opinions, I just have differing ones from yours about certain things.

In a few years? Sure, things will look differently for GOG. I doubt that they will look the same for either Steam or Humble though too. Change and the need to adapt is part of business. I don't think Humble, or its infant new store, pose the same level of threat that you seem to think they do for DRM-Free versions of new games. GOG is improving their Indie submission process, so we should see an increase of new releases with a GOG focus.

I guess we have to agree to disagree here. HIB has many games they've already bundled and will probably show up in their store eventually. Considering that a decent number of newer/indie games that GOG releases are ones that have been bundled already, DRM-free and all, that is a sizable portion of customers that have already bought the game elsewhere. GOG can still make some decent profit from these releases, and if the can actually compete from day one on newer games then it's a different story. But again, I'm talking about indie/new releases of games that were already bundled.

The availability of older games on other services was always a given for GOG, seeing as how they specifically pursued exclusivity agreements over the years. The main difference has always been DRM-Free, and Humble isn't picking up any slack for older titles whatsoever. DRM-Free is pro-consumer and there is always going to be a desire by people to control the things that they buy and not have them be a mere rental of limited access to their purchases. I think that fundamental difference is always going to be GOG's greatest strength and the basis for further interest by new customers. At this point I think that Humble is, at best, playing catch up with an vastly inferior library and site design, so I don't even see them as a viable threat to GOG's market.

Once more, the inclusion of HIB in this discussion refers specifically to the indie market - not to classics. I'm not claiming that HIB is trying to pick up slack for older titles.

I agree with your view on the benefits of DRM-free or GOG, but from what I've observed that doesn't seem to be a majority opinion outside of GOG's niche. Many people prefer the convenience and additional features of Steam to having something DRM-free (although many titles on Steam are DRM-free and can run without the client). When someone buys a game in a HIB with a DRM-free copy, Steam key, and full soundtrack, there's not much incentive to repurchase on GOG six months later.

I just think there is more context to the issue as you described it. They ARE releasing a steady stream of older titles, they have a new submission process for Indies that we have yet to see the results of, they still have the best DRM-Free service and library that Humble can't even come close to matching, they still are the superior service for those looking to control the products they buy. While I have concerns for GOG as well, I think I see things in a more positive light than you seem to have.

Regarding context - I think you're being too dismissive of the competition GOG faces with indies, such as from HIB and their store, on the basis of your personal confidence in and preference for GOG. I'm a GOG supporter, first and foremost. I believe in and love what they do. You might think I'm being negative when I'm pointing out some of the potential challenges and considerations for GOG going forward. The simple truth is that GOG has more competition in the indie/new game markets than they did when they focused solely on older games. So, they have to continue to market themselves or offer additional incentives for people to choose their store over another.

There's a rumor that GOG will be presenting a 30-day money-back guarantee for game purchases sometime soon in the case that a game doesn't run properly on someone's system and GOG support can't help them resolve it. A few sites published articles but later took them down - just read the URLs:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/new...-day-money-back-guarantee-begins-december-9th
http://m.incgamers.com/2013/12/gog-offering-money-back-guarantee-game-functionality
http://brutalgamer.com/2013/12/04/gog-com-launches-money-back-promise-on-entire-catalog/

I think that's a great gesture on their part, so I'm curious to see how people respond to it or if it makes any waves. There's no doubt that GOG offers great customer care. The hook in the past was having old games one couldn't find elsewhere. People came for the games and stayed because of the DRM-freeness and support. By this point GOG has probably attracted most of the people who care about DRM-free or old games. So, it seems they're focusing more on marketing their service and customer care. Makes sense to me, and I hope they continue to thrive, but yes a part of me feels that in the more crowded indie/new market this message might not trump the other factors (cheap bundles, Steam convenience, etc.) that people already associate with these games.

Persona7

Banned
YS on GOG? Hopefully this happens. Someone on facebook specifically asked for a GOG release.

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDYsSer...?comment_id=6585571&offset=0&total_comments=1

(Ys Series - XSeed Games) Yes, we are looking to bring those titles to other non-Steam distribution outlets in the future.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/ga...rmed_for_release_in_the_future_part_2/post189

Anyone else want this to happen? I am going to send an email hoping for a GOG release right now.

comments@xseedgames.com

http://twitter.com/xseedgames

http://www.facebook.com/XSEEDGames

Apparently the STALKER series might also be released on GOG.

Tizoc

Heh I already have the Ys games on Steam, but DRM-free is great for those that want it.
Now gimme Trails in the Sky on GOG.com and I'll bite.

wazoo

I've mentioned it before in this thread, but... They could differentiate themselves again by selling old ROM / disk images for other platforms, ideally partnering with the best emulators for as many platforms as possible to provide a seamless experience. I'd spend LOTS of money on old arcade and Odyssey2 and Atari 2600 ROMS as well as C=64 and Amiga disk images. LOTS.

This is tolerated for very old systems, but completely illegal, especially if you want to make money out of it like gog wants.

wazoo

My opinon on the above discussion.

Currently I am oscillating between Gog and Steam. Desura is also there but just because I have it due to indies bundles, and as mucha s possible I try to reduce the number of games I own on other platforms due to DRM (Tages, Securom).

I have plenty of Gog games (a few hundreds, oops) but I much prefer having things on steam. The way, Gog update and deliver its games require a monitoring of myself which is completely archaic. That is mostly fine for old games because they will not be patched anymore (Overseer DVD implementation is just an example of a patch I would have almost missed if by random I did not go to the forum) but for new games, it is just embarrassing.

so, most of the times, I tend to rebuy games on Steam I already own on gog, even if I trust more gog.com for good old games reimplementations.

wazoo

Gog has still a lot of games to dig before goint into the post 2005 area which is more steam territiry.

Everything Lucasarts.

Most WestWood Studios.

Ensemble studios games.

NOLF 1+2, in fact everything Monolith Studios.

mclem

This is tolerated for very old systems, but completely illegal, especially if you want to make money out of it like gog wants.

I assume the implication is that they'd pursue this with the rights-holder for each title. Think of it like their current arrangement with DosBox and ScummVM.

Slightly surprised that GoG didn't have Theme Park already. I wonder if they're not confident about if it'll run on some systems, and so wanted to hash out the refund policy first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom