• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Whoa, I'm getting like... a ridiculous amount of slowdown in Dust. It'll start at 60fps, and about 5 seconds later, it starts chugging like it's a bullet hell shmup or something. Anyone else have this issue? I'm running a 680, so I know computing muscle isn't the issue...

Edit: Nevermind. That variable refresh rate option was the answer. Great! Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig into this game later.

Almighty

I am tempted and picking up the Police Quest(1,2,3,4) collection. I remember my older brothers playing those games back in the day. Since I never played them myself I figure I should ask are they any good?

inm8num2

I am tempted and picking up the Police Quest(1,2,3,4) collection. I remember my older brothers playing those games back in the day. Since I never played them myself I figure I should ask are they any good?

They're definitely worth a look.

The first game was used as a training tool for cops after it came out. It has puzzles but is very procedural, as are the sequels.

The second PQ is usually considered the best. Great story and puzzles. Good improvements over the first game, like getting rid of manual driving.

The third is considered a weaker effort but it's my favorite.

The fourth has some decent qualities but is uneven in its story and puzzles. It goes off the rails in the last parts.

Almighty

They're definitely worth a look.

The first game was used as a training tool for cops after it came out. It has puzzles but is very procedural, as are the sequels.

The second PQ is usually considered the best. Great story and puzzles. Good improvements over the first game, like getting rid of manual driving.

The third is considered a weaker effort but it's my favorite.

The fourth has some decent qualities but is uneven in its story and puzzles. It goes off the rails in the last parts.

Thanks for the advice. For four bucks i figured why not.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is the GOG version of King's Quest VI the DOS version, or the Windows version? Tempted if it's the latter, because KQVI is awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is the GOG version of King's Quest VI the DOS version, or the Windows version? Tempted if it's the latter, because KQVI is awesome.

It's the DOS version, but playing it through Scummvm makes it the Windows version if you choose to (uses high res assets for dialogs, etc), spare for a a few minor details, but otherwise very similar.

Drakken

Really curious about Wasteland. I already have a bit of a GOG backlog, though. Haven't even touched Crusader: No Remorse, The Last Express, and Fallout 1 & 2. I'll probably pick it up in the future.

Catshade

GOG's Fall sale has leaked out (by games.on.net (cached), via GOG forum), probably coming soon:

Good Old Games has a lot of games. Too many games. Occasionally put some on sale which is great, because it saves me the time from having to parse their entire library.

In my inbox today, I find that the cheeky Cypriats have gone and buggered that all up by, well, putting what seems like everything on sale. “To celebrate the diversity of its worldwide audience GOG.com has launched a trans time-zone deal: a Fall Insomnia Promo where gamers from all continents will get a chance to buy celebrated games at up to 80% off discounts–and free games in very limited numbers as well.”

Blimey. The subtitle reads “100 blockbuster games at budget prices”, as if selling for the cost of two cans of Red Bull wasn’t cheap enough already. Some of the highlights of the sale, starting from tomorrow, include System Shock 2, Fez, Rayman Origins, Alpha Centauri and Hotline Miami. But the real fun of the exercise is the limited availability of it all. “The games will be on sale only one at a time in limited numbers of copies. When the stock of one game–marked on the promo page with a counter–runs out, another game is up.”

Nothing like introducing the fun of scouring through Harvey Norman bargain bins to your online shopping. Christmas is upon us.

Shaneus

So with the whole "all continents" thing, would that mean that they have limited numbers of these games for each time zone period they're designating? Sounds that way... which is an awesome, awesome idea.

Even better idea is if they don't actually publicise which games are discounted/free so it's up to each person to scour and find the bargains.

mclem

In a critical planning error, they open the sale offering 5000 copies of Daikatana.

Two weeks later, they close the sale, having sold five copies of Daikatana.

cicero

* To stir people into a buying frenzy.
* Some of the titles will be *free*
* Because they've only negotiated this promotion in the context of a finite number of discounts.
Indeed. It is why I am sitting here with an alarm that I keep resetting to go off at short interval as I try to get some pathetic short form of sleep without missing potential deals. I don't even want to think about getting in on free games only to find out they are one of the many I have already bought over the years.

Let my patient watchful waiting frenzy continue!@#

System Shock 2 (1.99) is up... 482 left.

edit: New thread? I'd start but can't (don't want to) update the OP.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Geez when they said limited quantities I was expecting thousands, not hundreds. SS2 is almost gone already.

Category G

Neo Member
System Shock 2 (1.99) is up... 482 left.

edit: New thread? I'd start but can't (don't want to) update the OP.

At the rate which the games seem to be going down (down to 148 already) not sure how accurately a thread might be able to reflect things.

Also seems Redshirt is out on GOG. Saw it pop up on Steam earlier and the concept seems good, perhaps a bit too much for an impulse buy though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Geez when they said limited quantities I was expecting thousands, not hundreds. SS2 is almost gone already.

10 left.

And gone in 15 mins. "Don't Starve" is the new title with 400.

But yeah, these limited quantities are too few. It's a neat idea, but not something that would get me off Steam to buy these "extreme deals" because of how quick they roll through.

You really need to open it up for an hour or three and not limit quantities for digital storefronts.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, didn't see that. There's nothing in the middle for me and the news highlights doesn't show it.

And Don't Starve isn't flying off the shelves to show the free game. Fuuuuuck. I gotta leave for work soon, show me the free game GoG. ;_;

GooeyHeat

How hard/obtuse is Wasteland for somebody who did not exist until over five years after it came out, and didn't play video games for another five to seven?

I want to give it a shot, but I don't want to get bogged down.

mclem

Hopefully people notice this thread, as well as the sale thread, because standard releases are still occurring.

Super Hexagon ($2.99)
Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins ($5.99)

I half-recall Dragon Lore, it's *very* "early days of 3D". I seem to recall it being *awful*, but I may be doing it a disservice there.

Super Hexagon is, of course, awesome.

RAIDEN1

What chance of Rise of the dragon and Heart of China appearing on GOG..? It'd be great if they used the Mega CD version of Rise (with its speech) but with the PC graphics.

VandalD

What chance of Rise of the dragon and Heart of China appearing on GOG..? It'd be great if they used the Mega CD version of Rise (with its speech) but with the PC graphics.
Maybe, maybe eventually. There are quite a few games from Dynamix that aren't on GOG, Rise of the Dragon included. I'd have rather seen Aces of the Pacific instead of Red Baron purely for my own nostalgia reasons. I doubt they'd put in the time and effort to rework Rise of the Dragon so that the voices work. But I guess there's no way of knowing these things until they actually happen.

tmarques

Rise of the Dragon was meh, but Heart Of China I'd love to play again. I had to throw the original box and floppies a few years ago because they were so moldy and it broke my heart.

Catshade

And more games added to Mac!

Lords of the Realm 3
Septerra Core
Still Life 1
The Whispered World
Expendable
Fallout Tactics
Mob Rule
Trine
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business