• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never played it, but I heard it's like KOTOR. Worth getting?

Jade Empire is an action-RPG, so while it's somewhat like KotOR, its combat system is quite different (and so is the setting of course). Good game though, yeah. Not the best, but good.

VandalD

The story is okay. The combat is extremely repetitive. Character progression is pretty boring. They handle Open Palm and Closed Fist in about the same heavy-handed way as they did with light side and dark side in KotOR. Felt bad for pre-ordering back in the day. It's passable.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Not really. It's a decent enough game, but astoundingly forgettable. Nothing about the game stands out as being particularly bad, but none of it's very good, either. I'd rather spend $6 on a Little Caesar's pizza, FWIW.

dhlt25

Jade Empire is an action-RPG, so while it's somewhat like KotOR, its combat system is quite different (and so is the setting of course). Good game though, yeah. Not the best, but good.

as other people have said it's extremely forgettable. I've attempted to play it twice, 1 time for 3 hrs and another go for 10 hrs and I honestly can't recall anything aside from the first 30 min

Persona7

Banned
Jade Empire has some cool environments. I can't remember much about the dialogue or characters as I haven't played it in so long.

I do remember enjoying it though.

mclem

PREORDER:

Pixeljunk Shooter ($6.74)

Are all the Pixeljunk games going to head to PC (and therefore GoG), I wonder?

RELEASES:

Rogue Trooper ($9.99)
Battle Worlds: Kronos ($23.99)
Race The Sun ($4.99)

I think there was a GAF thread on Race The Sun recently. Edit: Here. Less about the game, more about their challenges, but it sounds like they could do with some support unless things have changed.

I worked at Rebellion while Rogue Trooper was being made - didn't actually work on the game, but did play it a little bit. I'm perhaps biased, but I thought it was a competent TPS for the time.

gabbo

I worked at Rebellion while Rogue Trooper was being made - didn't actually work on the game, but did play it a little bit. I'm perhaps biased, but I thought it was a competent TPS for the time.

Yep, that's how I'd rate. Not amazing, but competent, with a a loose and somewhat silly story to keep pulling you along

Category G

Neo Member
Really tempted by Battle World: Kronos. I'm a sucker for anything in a similar vein to Advance Wars, but the price is a bit too much to justify an impulse buy. =(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd like to recommend Lone Survivor and VVVVVV for bolding, even though most people probably already have VVVVVV on Steam. Just high quality side scolling horror and platformer respectively.

mclem

New GoG promo for charity:

Pick a Charity:

WWF
Worldbuilders
Gaming For Good

Pick three games from:

FTL: Faster Than Light
Whispered World, The
Pid
Creatures Village
Waking Mars
Botanicula
Incredipede
Driftmoon
Darwinia
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Pay $5 or more.

All the money you pay goes to the charity.

bender

What time is it?
I wouldn't recommend Jade Empire either, I don't remember much about the game but I do remember it ending my love affair with Bioware.

I picked up Race The Sun. It looks really neat.

t-ramp

New GoG promo for charity:

Pick a Charity:

WWF
Worldbuilders
Gaming For Good

Pick three games from:

Whispered World, The
Pid
Creatures Village
Waking Mars
Botanicula
Incredipede
Driftmoon
Darwinia

Pay $5 or more.

All the money you pay goes to the charity.
Driftmoon looks pretty good. I don't know if I'd play anything else. Any recommendations if I decide to add to my backlog?

mclem

Driftmoon looks pretty good. I don't know if I'd play anything else. Any recommendations if I decide to add to my backlog?

FTL if you haven't already, and Whispered World and/or Botanicula if you like point-and-click adventures.

There's nothing there that particularly strikes me as an out-and-out clunker.

FTL is all sorts of awesome so I hope you give that due consideration. Waking Mars is also very good and I had a lot of fun with it so I would recommend that too. The other games I either haven't played or have played very little of so couldn't give an opinion on them in all conscience.

FTL though, one of my gaming highlights of the last few years; wonderful game :D.

mclem

Looks like a metroid-like with extra customisability, is that about right?

More of a focus on active combat - I'd say it feels a little like a 2D Devil May Cry there, although I feel I should point out that I'm saying that as someone with little actual DMC experience. Otherwise, pretty much.

I think there's a demo somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. I might be thinking of the alpha.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ecbvn6x2ahif3cy/Valdis_Story_AC_Demo.exe

t-ramp

Botanicula and FTL are excellent.
FTL if you haven't already, and Whispered World and/or Botanicula if you like point-and-click adventures.

There's nothing there that particularly strikes me as an out-and-out clunker.
FTL is all sorts of awesome so I hope you give that due consideration. Waking Mars is also very good and I had a lot of fun with it so I would recommend that too. The other games I either haven't played or have played very little of so couldn't give an opinion on them in all conscience.

FTL though, one of my gaming highlights of the last few years; wonderful game :D.
Thanks. I do have FTL, so I might just pass on these games. Too many others I haven't played yet.

Noogy

*Tail

Wholeheartedly recommend the game, too, based on playing around half of the Steam version. Plus, it's made by a fellow GAF user, Noogy.

Actually wasn't expecting to see it on a DRM-free site, so this is pretty awesome.

Thanks for the recommendation :) And Dust:AET will be 50% off for the first week, not too shabby.

mclem

Weekend promo is on Activision stuff. 60% off:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Pharaoh + Cleopatra
Zeus + Poseidon (Acropolis)

Caesar 3

Quest for Glory 1-5

Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption

Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

King's Quest 1+2+3
King's Quest 4+5+6
King's Quest 7+8

Police Quest 1+2+3+4
Police Quest: SWAT 1+2
SWAT 3: Tactical Game of the Year Edition

Space Quest 1+2+3
Space Quest 4+5+6

Betrayal at Krondor Pack
Return to Krondor

Zork Anthology, The
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
Return to Zork

Call to Power 2

Dark Reign + Expansion
Dark Reign 2

Torin's Passage

Interstate '76 Arsenal, The
Interstate '82

Spycraft: The Great Game

Jag

Just went looking for NOLF for my son who is a huge Austin Powers fan. The fact that NOLF is not on GOG is a crime!

mclem

The charity promo's been expanded to also include Anodyne, Gemini Rue and Escape Goat. The full list is now:

Whispered World, The
Pid
Creatures Village
Waking Mars
Botanicula
Incredipede
Driftmoon
Darwinia
Anodyne
Gemini Rue
Escape Goat

Handy for me, I have enough games that it was tricky to make a 3-pack. It's a little easier now, but still a little difficult.

Also, Sword of the Stars: The Pit has been reduced in price and a new 'gold' edition - including DLC - inserted above it.

mclem

Gemini Rue's a cool game.

Hmm, which games from that Activison sale are worth nabbin'?

I took the bolding from the catalogue post, so anything in bold absolutely is. There's some things that I'd go for that aren't bolded, too; Zork Nemesis is, I think, enough of a departure from traditional Zork to be accessible for many. Interstate '76 is a good car combat game.

Jag

I took the bolding from the catalogue post, so anything in bold absolutely is. There's some things that I'd go for that aren't bolded, too; Zork Nemesis is, I think, enough of a departure from traditional Zork to be accessible for many. Interstate '76 is a good car combat game.

Must have missed the Quest for Glory series but heard good things about it. Not sure how it holds up.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda surprised to see Dust available on GOG, given that it's Microsoft published, but hey -- I'll take it. Bought. Thanks, Noogy.

Category G

Neo Member
Is the first Wasteland easy to get into, or has it aged pretty badly? I'm curious about the second game so would be tempted to try the first as well (I always like doing seeing what earlier installments of series are like) though I seem to recall people saying it doesn't hold up to well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom